Pale Ale - Yazoo Brewing Company

Yazoo Brewing Company visit their website
Tennessee, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.80% ABV

Beer added by: Brent on 04-12-2004

A new version of an American classic. Our Yazoo Pale Ale bursts with spicy, citrusy hop aroma and flavor, coming from the newly discovered Amarillo hop. The wonderful hop aroma is balanced nicely with a toasty malt body, ending with a cleansing hop finish. Made with English Pale, Munich, Vienna, and Crystal malts, and generously hopped with Amarillo, Perle, and Cascade hops. Fermented with our English ale yeast.

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pale Ale Alström Bros

3.47/5  rDev 0%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Overall, a slightly above average beer. I love pale ales and I brew them frequently at home. Because of this I know what I want, expect, and demand from my Pale Ales and Yazoo, while creating a good product, just misses what I am really looking for.

Appearance - There was a bit of a haze (probably a chill haze) after i poured into my glass. It cleared up some after I let the beer warm up to just under room temperature (I was aiming for about 55-60 degrees to pick up on some of the aromas). The Color was an orangeish color with a small white head.

Smell - Not sure how to describe the smell. It's clean, but not spotless Many of the Pales that I usually drink, have a very crisp smell to them. This beer has a hop presence, but is lacking in the wow factor. There's a bit of maybe a citrus-y smell that was hard to put my finger on, but overall I'm struggling to figure out the best word to describe this beer. It's like having a roommate who isn't a neat freak, but isn't a pig either. Its not bad, but not quite as clean as you'd like .

Taste - decent taste. once again, I tend to lean more towards a more "complex" pale ale, but overall the taste was pretty good. There's a decent hop taste, not overly bitter like you get with some of the more aggresively hopped pale ales.

Mouthfeel - Light to medium body. Not overpowering.

Overall - a drinkable pale ale, but as I stated before it's not one that I would seek out given the vast amount of superior pale ales available on the market. But if I'm in Nashville and feel like supporting a local brewery and there's no Hop Project on tap, then I may grab a pint. Cheers.

3.85/5  rDev +11%

1512th Review on BA
Bottle to Pint
12 oz

Bottled on 08-03-12
Thanks to BrandonBrew for this one

App- A deep glowimg orange color with a light medium density and clarity. Only a small 1/4" head that was off white. 1/8" ring of bubbles around the edges.

Smell- The thing I like the most is its clean. Not muddled and not trying to be fancy. a good solid hop base with a small malt backend on nose. Not overly spicy or caramel either.

Taste- A very nice pale ale. The amarillo is a bit spicy but nothing to over the top. A bit dry and peanut like roast and a bit grainular. Balanced and easy to drink. Another thicker pale ale.

Mouth- Lighter medium with a semi medium carbonation. Light hops and a bit spicy.

Drink- Its a tasty pale albeit a bit thicker than I wouldve like. Seems like I am a bit of homer for Hoppy Bday and a whore for ZD & Daisy Cutter. Oh well.

3.68/5  rDev +6.1%

Holy crap. I had tons of this stuff while I was in Nashville (or the Tennessee area in general), but I'll review the bottle version.

A: Poured a nice golden, amber color, with a finger or so head, and a mild chill haze for added dimension. Looks good.

S: I got a tinge of whole leaf hop with a fresh clean linen quality in there as well. This was understated overall.

T: Bitter citrus for a PA, with a slight apple-like flair. This was clean and infinitely drinkable for the masses, however, I did get a faint bit of sulfur on the aftertaste.

M: Low carbonation, not creamy or thick in any way, but with a nice bitter bite towards the end. The lacing was mild.

O: I think I liked it better than most, but I still understand where they're coming from.

3.55/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Medium to big light tan head settles into a nice lacing on a clear honey copper colored pale ale.

Light citrus, floral, and pine mixed hops aroma, a very nice aroma but it's pretty light, I wish it were quite a bit stronger and hed the same balance.

A citrus to floral hops taste with just a touch of a very light sweet caramel malt coming through.

A light but good tasting easy drinking medium bodied pale that has a light dry aftertaste with just a bit of the citrus hanging around.

3.15/5  rDev -9.2%

12 oz. bottle tried 10 Mar 2011. Courtesy of pitasoup, thanks! Served in the Bright Brewing shaker pint.

Small off white head. Well carbonated. Clear amber in color. Sweet orange earthy aroma. Starts almost dusty tasting, earthy. Orangey bitter with a pithy bite. Light body, moderate ethanol is a bit warming. Faint bitter orange finish and aftertaste.

Seems slightly washed out/watery.

3.5/5  rDev +0.9%

Pours a less than clear light or pale amber with a slightly off white head that showed decent retention.
Smell: I get some aromatic, citrus hops and it also has some malt balance.
Taste: follows the nose with some orange citrus hop flavor. Has a pleasant slightly bitter finish.
Overall a decent ale with a good hop, malt balance.
Purchased in Laurel, MS.

3.58/5  rDev +3.2%

The pour is a clear golden orange with white foam. Nose of floral hops and candied citrus peel. Some sweet bread, a touch of mango, and maybe a hint of toast. The flavor is on the sweet side. Lots of citrus and a bit of fruit, maybe peach. The hop profile is also quite floral. Very light bitterness and a fair amount of sweet malt flavor.

2.75/5  rDev -20.7%