Rye Saison - Yazoo Brewing Company

Yazoo Brewing Company visit their website
Tennessee, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: ckeegan04 on 01-27-2009

Originally released as their 5th anniversary beer. Re-released in Spring 2010 as part of their seasonal rotation.
firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
3.45/5  rDev -9.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Pours a clear, golden, faint yellow/orange with a big white head that quickly reduces to a thin film, leaving light patches of lacing behind.

The aroma consists of light, crisp, earthy malt notes. Sweet with just a touch of peppery spice. Some hops.

Malty, a bit earthy with rye notes on the tongue. The rye is fainter than I would have imagined for a rye beer. Lemony hop spice, black pepper and biscuity malt.

Mouthfeel is a bit watery. Comes across as somewhat spritzy water with light malt. Some peppery bitterness lingers on the tongue.

Drinkability is alright, but not overly exciting. The beer just seems to be lacking overall. Yazoo's Hop Projects have been quite good, but this beer kind of falls flat. I'm still interested in trying some of their other brews, but I'll pass on this saison.

4.12/5  rDev +8.1%

a: pours a deep orange color with about a half inch of head that doesnt dissapear very fast lots of bubbles continue to rise to the top
s: belgian yeast, sour lemony, citrus, fruity
t: lemony citrus hints of sour
m: medium bodied beer with a lot of carbonation

overall, i really enjoyed this beer

3.95/5  rDev +3.7%

A: Pours a hazy, almost milky orange color. A little under two fingers of foamy white head. Nice film left behind, but almost no lacing except on the side of the glass being drank from.

S: Unmistakable Belgian saison yeast smells. Spicy, lemon..there's an almost burnt smell to this that I'm guessing is the rye. There's something sweet and sticky smelling about this as well that I can't quite place. I like it though.

T: Everything from the nose(spicy rye, lemon, yeast), but there's a good bit of banana in the taste that I didn't recognize from the smell. Maybe that was the sweet, sticky smell I couldn't place. Good tasting beer for sure.

M: A little on the thin side, but lots of carbonation give it body. In fact, the carbonation leaves a tingly feeling behind which seems to be a common among saisons. Dry at the finish.

O: I like Yazoo's Rye Saison a lot. Highly drinkable, tastes good, smells good. Nice that a hometown brewery is making these types of beer.

4.15/5  rDev +8.9%

12oz bottle poured into my Yazoo Brewing Co. glass - Bottled 2nd week of March, 2010...

Pours a golden brownish orange with a thin one finger of delicate white head. The beer is pretty clear and reminds me of Indian Summer Apple Juice...

Very sweet and spicy aroma up front. Some rye bread with sweet ripe light fruits, spicy yeast aroma...

Starts off sweet, fruity and almost Hefe-like. Bready and malty with a nice spicy rye flavor. Yeasty and grainy...

Medium bodied and decently carbed...crisp and slick on the palette, easy drinking...

Pretty good beer by Yazoo, my first bottled beer from the state of Tennessee. Picked up a 6pack in Nashville on our way to Florida, enjoyed 3 of these on the beach in Treasure Island and kept one to review. Very citrusy, refreshing summer beer...

3.55/5  rDev -6.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A: Pours lighter side of copper colored, somewhat hazy. Half finger white head, quickly reducing to barely a cap.

S: Yeasty bananas and cloves. Pepper, candi sugar.

T: Belgian yeast characteristics entirely dominate. Bananas and cloves again, black pepper. Lemon rind, almost tart. The rye grain bill is mostly apparent in the finish.

M: Lighter side of medium, high carbonation.

O: Overall a good Saison, but I was looking for something a little more out of the ordinary in using rye grain. Still, a good beer!

2.78/5  rDev -27%

pours a reddish amber with a huge frothy white head.

smell is dominated with yeasty notes. sweet earthy notes apparent as well. flowers & grains mostly.

taste like you think a rye Saison would taste: yeast, rye grain, malts. the hops have a peppery bite to them. I have a hard time picking up anything else. not much depth. the burn of the carbonation cancels out the complexity.

light body with too much carbonation. leaves a numbing sensation on the tongue.

had the light and crisp quality of a Saison but had a couple of things going against it. Belgian yeast overpowered the nuances of a rye/Saison ale. will pass next time.

3.75/5  rDev -1.6%

Pours a brilliant coppery-orange with a quickly disappearing, half-finger white head. Ring and lace are minimal and last about halfway.

Nose is fruity, with apricot and peach pie flavors- a sort of doughy maltiness and florally hops.

The palate is interesting, with the rye adding a nice bit of spicy complexity to the typical siason style. It opens with a broad carbonation and a dry maltiness- flavors of apricot skin usher in the hoppy bitter grapefruity character. It finishes dry and tart.

Overall, wonderful sessionable brew. The tartness and dryness on the palate definitely coincides with my love for white wine- with the bright flavors and piercing acidity keeping my palate wide awake. The carbonation of the beer adds beautifully to that as well.

A: Very hazy orange not much head. Really reminds of me orange juice.

S: Very sharp twangy citrus and I get some bubblegum. Has a deep ripe spiciness to it.

T: I still get a lot of the bubblegum. Seems to be very akin their Hefeweizen. A tart fruitiness with herbal spices.

M: Lays very nicely on the tongue and makes it presence known but not overpowering.

D: Very nice drinking late spring/early summer beer. Seems very fitting for the season.

First of the style for me. I will want to seek more out like this but feel this will compare well to others of the style.

Having had this beer a few times before but never got around to reviewing it.

A- The appearance is almost a cloudy burnt orange, with a rather creamy white head.

S- It is a sweet yet tart smell. Maybe banana with spice or most likely rye.

T- The taste is sweet initially but quickly goes to a spice finish. The beer has some banana and clove elements to it and some rye and spice in as well. There is a nice citrus finish also

M- The mouthfeel is pretty smooth overall.

O- Overall. I edited my review from a couple of years ago as I find this to be much better than I ever remember being. I know Yazoo wasn't pleased with their results a couple years ago and that is what I reviewed, this new batch is pretty dang good. This is a nice lighter style beer with enough flavor to enjoy.

4.06/5  rDev +6.6%

Never had this style but i'm a gamer and i've enjoyed other Yazoo brews, so here it goes. Poured into a Samuel Smith pint glass. Nice three inch frothy head, some still in the bottle, so i cheat a bit and take a swig. MMMM. Spicey beer, refreshing, reminds me of a hefe (really!). Paired with some cold KFC grilled chicken (yum) and cole slaw and biscuit. Quite a nice combination. Great appearance and the rest doesn't disappoint, either. Still, tastes a lot like a hefe, maybe I'm crazy, but I enjoy Hefes so it scores high in taste, mouthful and drinkability. This is a must try for anyone who enjoys hefes or Yazoo brews.

3.62/5  rDev -5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

First of all I've had my share of the Saison style. I've just been sleeping of the offering of my local brewery.

A: Not typical at all. This one is a light amber, copper-ish tent. Wasn't expecting this at all. I got a good 3 fingers of head on the pour.

S: Spices and a subtle yeast aroma.

T: I should of let this chill a little longer. It's ok really. Almost had a slight Tripel taste. The spice is there, but it's just not like your traditional Saison.

M: Smooth, hardly any mouthfeel at all on this one.

Overall: I was a little let down actually. Not a go to Yazoo brew, but I still have much love for the hometown hero's.

4.17/5  rDev +9.4%

Hands down one of the best saisons I've ever had. Thanks ckeegan04 for the extra!

A - hazy pale copper to dark gold, lacy see thru head.

S - wonderfully complex aroma. citrus acidity followed by bubblegum, fresh lemon zest and a noticable hint of spicey rye. Tropical fruits linger in and out. Devoid of hop aroma but the yeast character makes up for it.

T - Lemony acidity followed by banana like esters and bubblegum. A zesty spiciness lingers in the background, never really comes forward just kind of intertwines between all of the yeasty flavors. Wheat graininess comes through as the beer warms up.

M - medium to high carbonation and thin to medium body. This beer remains refreshing without being too sweet or dry. Great balance in the finish. No puckering astringency.

D - Fantastic brew. Goes down easy but has sharp flavors that remain complex yet refreshing. Seek this beer out if you are ever in the area. Great brew, great representation of the style with a highly restrained addition of rye. Even though the beer seemed to be bottle conditioned, I still think they could clean it up a bit, it almost looks like a hefeweizen. Minor, MINOR flaw in an awesome beer!

4.22/5  rDev +10.8%

A: Poured from bottle into a pint glass. Amber/copper, slightly cloudy, small half finger white head that dissipated quickly. Light lacing.

S: Sweet, bready, spicy, with a bit of hops. Brown sugar, yeast, smells really fantastic.

T: Almost tastes like Yazoo's hefe. Rye, spices, yeast, dry. Maybe a bit of the brown sugar I smelled. Really great.

M: Medium body, good carbonation.

Overall I really enjoyed this beer. I've been a huge fan of Yazoo for awhile, but I've been exiled 2 hours west of Nashville for a few years so I haven't been able to try anything besides the normal line that they bottle. I was really happy to find this beer in my local gas station, and I'll definitely be getting more. One of the better offerings from my favorite brewery.

3.75/5  rDev -1.6%

Bought at Stogie's in cool springs. Poured a star and amber color with a light white head. The aroma is what one would expect from a lighter rye beer. I say lighter when comparing to rye squared, sorry. Again since I recently quit smoking my tatebuds are still kind of shot, but it's slightly sweet tasting with a little but of a bitter aftertaste. Let me review again in a few weeks for a more specific review.

4.23/5  rDev +11%

This has become a favorite sunny afternoon beer for me. Everything you could want from a saison, plus some America in there. It's the "Freedom Fries" of craft beer with it's middle finger up as it astounds in it's category. The head is thin with teeny tiny bubbles. Color is a vibrant sun golden. The smell is not my style, but appropriate. The taste is crisp ans refreshing. Mouthfeel is non offensive and easy going. Easy to drink in the sun.

3.78/5  rDev -0.8%

poured from 12oz bottle to tulip.

burnt orange color with a fairly withstanding bone white head. tart aroma of sweet almost sour, a bit of green apple. initial taste of sour fruit accompanied by a slight clove like phenol. very snappy across the tongue, nice carbonation. finishes sweet and clean.

overall a nice example of the style, i prefer the saison to be a bit more sweet and a little less sour. not sure what rye contributes to this flavor profile.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last