Sue - Yazoo Brewing Company

SueSue

Yazoo Brewing Company visit their website
Tennessee, United States

American Porter |  9.00% ABV

The south is famous for smoking everything. Why not beer? Sue is a big, rich, smoky malt bomb of a beer, with mellow smokiness coming from barley malts smoked with cherry wood, and assertive bitterness from Galena and Perle hops to cleanse the finish.

Original tap version was 7.5% ABV, bottled version is up to 9%.

(Beer added by: ckeegan04 on 07-29-2009)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sue Alström Bros
2.63/5  rDev -36.5%

Big thanks to grownfool for sending me this as part of a recent trade. This was definitely smoky and I hate to say this but there is something about rauch/smoked beers that is similar to wet dog! Cheap beef jerky too. Band aids almost. The flavor is a little bit of chocolate then some smoky, rubbery flavors. I'm sorry but I cannot fuck with smoked beers (yet).

ArrogantB, Oct 05, 2010
4.1/5  rDev -1%

Re-review. Turns out the first bottles of this I had was from an infected batch. I had it before the infection really took off but it would explain the lactic quality I was picking up.

12oz bottled 2nd week of November 2010. Served at cellar temperature.

Pours dark brown/black with a large light brown head that leaves lots of lacing, slowly recedes to a wispy cap and ring.

Aroma is quite smoky with a lot of campfire and charred wood as well as smoked ham/bacon, also some chocolate, roasted malts, coffee, a touch of dark fruit and anise, very good strength.

Flavor is smoky and chocolaty, smoked ham/bacon, campfire, charred wood, chocolate, some coffee, roasted malts, dark fruit, noticeable alcohol on the finish but is integrated well (EDIT: 3 month old bottle has little to no alcohol taste). Huge flavor, lingering finish, semi-sweet.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied, medium carbonation at times prickly.

Ahhh very nice, no lactic qualities like the first go-round. Also enjoyed a Fade to Black Vol. 2 tonight and like them both a lot. Each is unique in their smoky qualities, this one more as a straight-up smoked brew. Very tasty and enjoyable.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

12oz bottled 3rd or 4th week of August 2010. Served at around 55-60F.

Pours very dark brown/black with a fizzy and foamy two finger light brown head that fades quickly to a light cap and ring and leaves only a few spots of lacing. I notice some white specks of sediment collecting at the bottom of the glass.

Smoky aroma of both wood and meat, bacon/ham, a lot of chocolate, and a strong lactic quality, a lot like cottage cheese, which I wasn't expecting at all, but it blends nicely with the smoke and I find myself quite enjoying the aroma.

Flavor of smoked ham and bacon, some chocolate and roasted malts, a lactic sourness, a good deal of sweetness and a touch of hop bitterness on the finish. Alcohol is absent. Smoke is stronger on the tongue than the nose.

Mouthfeel is thin to medium bodied, somewhat creamy, medium carbonation.

Interesting for sure, I'm only beginning to dabble in smoked beers and this is the smokiest I've had yet, although I'm not a big fan of the lactic nature of this one (or any sweet/milk stouts in general). I'm getting more of a Smoked Sweet/Milk Stout than Smoked Porter, FWIW...

Reviewing this to style is difficult since it isn't in a Smoked category and instead is grouped together with all American Porters...heck at 9% it doesn't even really fit the Porter category either.

Appearance 3.5, Aroma 4, Taste 3.5, Feel 4, Drink 3.5, Score 3.65

elgiacomo, Oct 03, 2010
4.5/5  rDev +8.7%

A- Pours a near black with a thin, though persistant, tan head. Good lacing.
S- The smell is rather chocolatey and coffee like, with definite smoke wafts.
T- Smokey right away, and the nice wood smoke. Chocolate malt plays a big role with coffee and hop flavors lingering in the background.
M- Slightly full body, good carbonation.
D- For a smoke beer and one at 9%, this is quite drinkable. I will daresay it's the best beer I've had from Yazoo to date. Really dug it and could definitely enjoy a few more.

jsprain1, Sep 30, 2010
4.08/5  rDev -1.4%

Bottle from Dustin, one of Yazoo's year round. Poured into my DFH signature glass. Beer is black / brown at the corners with nearly no head or lacing. Carbonation, no idea.

Aroma is smoky, quite smoky. Its roasty but mostly its smoky. Not what I expected at all.

Beer is medium in body, not overly smoky in the palate but definitely more than your standard porter. Its not bad though. There is some roast in the back of the mouth, minimal sweetness up front. Interesting beer, absolutely not what I was expecting. Well done Yazoo, I am pleasantly surprised.

drabmuh, Sep 04, 2010
4.4/5  rDev +6.3%

Got this from JohnQVegas a while back... I actually drank 3 of these and forgot all about this 4th bottle tucked in my fridge. Just saw it and thought it would make a nice departure from all the IPAs I've been digging into lately. Thanks Dustin!
Served into a snifter after allowing it to warm for 15 minutes from fridge temps.

Pours up a deep brownish black with some red hues along the edges and in the legs. The tan head started as 2 fingers and settled into a tight cap of lazy bubbles... leaving behind some spotty chunks of lace.

Smells of coffee, bitter cocoa, smoke, a little earthiness (I'm guessing from the smoke?), and some fruit notes-- dark, ripened fruits. The taste has much of these notes from the smell-- some sweetness that reminds me of caramel and brown sugar gives way to a dry smokiness with hints of the dark fruits at the finish.

Body is pretty full. This is a nice thick porter-- one of those beers that blurs the line between stout and porter-- and does so in a great way. This is very easy to drink-- enjoyable, complex enough to keep me interested, and a crazy 9%!! I must say that this beer scores a little extra due to the high ABV. There isn't a trace of booziness in here. Perhaps if this warmed all the way to room temperature, I could pick it up... but in the 15 minutes I have sat enjoying this, there remains a well-balanced brew that hides its ABV well.

AleWatcher, Aug 25, 2010
4.03/5  rDev -2.7%

Stubby 12 oz bottle with a twist off cap.

Pours a dark mocha brown, near black with a nearly non-existent coffee colored head that immediately fades to a thin crown with a few bubbles and no lacing. Aroma is front loaded with a strong smokey punch before a more traditional robust coffee and roast malt porter notes. Mouthfeel is rich, thick, silky and smooth with light carbonation. Finish is lingering blend of sweet molasses and roasted coffee. Flavor isn't much different than the aroma, but the smoke and roast flavors are dominated by chocolate and molasses sweetness. A very nice, full bodied porter, but a little too big and sweet.

yourefragile, Aug 08, 2010
4.33/5  rDev +4.6%

Served in a Dogfish Head shaped pint glass.

Big thanks to pitasoup and the Donald in Mathmagicland BIF for this bottle!

Funny, I know a Sue who smokes quite a bit... This chick pours a straight jet black topped by nearly a finger of dusty ecru foam. The nose leads with a healthy dose of smoked sausage, backed by comparatively weaker notes of biscuits, roasted malts, light suede, and nutmeg. The taste also showcases those lovely smoked malts, adding some molasses, brown sugar, some of those seemingly omnipresent roasted malts (they do get around, don't they?), rye bread, and a hint of figs. The smoke is decidedly up-front and in command, but it does not abuse its authority vis-a-vis the other flavors. The body is a hefty medium, with a light moderate carbonation, a fairly chewy feel (crispy?), and a relatively dry finish. Overall, a delightful smoked porter. I'm interested to see what difference would have been made if it had been brewed with a different smoked malt, but the cherry is pretty damn tasty regardless. Get some!

TMoney2591, Aug 06, 2010
3.98/5  rDev -3.9%

A: Pours black with a thin tan head.

S: Smoky in a good way, like prepped wood ready for bbq rather than just burnt ash. Also coffee and hints of tobacco.

T: Smoke in the beginning, then the standard coffee-ish porter malts. Faintest bit of cherry and chocolate comes through at the end.

M: Light on carbonation, slightly heavier than medium body.

D: Overall, very drinkable for a style (smoked) that I do not particularly enjoy.

This one was bottled on 03/10.

The 01/10 version I had earlier was much less smoky, had a smoother mouthfeel, and had much sweeter malts. Still a great offering from Yazoo.

pitasoup, Jul 28, 2010
4.33/5  rDev +4.6%

Thanks goes out to JohnQVegas for this brew.

Bottled On: 3rd Week Of March

Pours a very nice black color, nice carbonation, nice one-finger creamy dark tan head, with some nice sticky lacing left behind. The nose is nice, malty, with lots of chocolate/toffee/caramel, and slight coffee notes, some licorice. The taste is malty, slightly sweet, some vanilla, lots of dark stuff. Medium body, ABV is hidden very well. Very Drinkable, this one surprised the shit out of me, very well done, way to go Yazoo!

Wasatch, Jun 28, 2010

A: Poured a jet black with good carbonation and a nice white head.

S: Smoke, leather, meat and booze

T: Immediate smoke, meat, chocolate and warming booze plus some wood

M: Very hearty and good to me.

D: While very tasty I can not see myself drinking more than one at a time but I would try againa nd recommend

barleywinefiend, May 31, 2010
4.22/5  rDev +1.9%

Alex(masterski) gave me this bottle a few weeks ago, thanks dude! I poured it into a Three floyds nonic.

This beer pours a nice black with rootbeer brown highlights. There's a finer of tan head that fades to a thin layer and leaves some decent spotty lacing.

The nose is full of sweet smoked malts, campfire, coffee, and dark chocolate. It's making me thirsty.

The taste follows with sweet cherry wood, sticky campfire smoke, char, roasty coffee and baker's chocolate. I'm also picking out some dark fruit skins as well. There are some really delicious cocoa notes that play with the the sweet cherry wood notes. It finishes a little dry. Excellent!

Mouthfeel is medium bodied and has just enough bubble bite to refresh and prepare for the next sip.

An excellent smoked porter from a relatively unknown brewery. I really dig the cherry wood smoked malts and the ABV was not a problem. I wish I had some more bottles!

beertooth, May 30, 2010
4.38/5  rDev +5.8%

Bottle courtesy of Freethyhops. Thanks Riley!

Notched as bottled on the 3rd week of January.

An Imperial Smoked Porter and at 9%abv, I'm sure not going to argue.

An extremely dark brown coloured brew with some reddish highlights shining through, there wasn't much foam and what was there shrunk quickly to just a ring around the glass. A tiny bit of lacing is on the side of my glass. Both foam and lacing or lack thereof I kind of expected. Still a niced looking brew.

Ahh.lots of malt in the nose. Sweet without being overly sweet, a bit of fruitiness, some grain, a little smoky, and an almost sense of a smell that reminds me of barrel aging. Must be the alcohol but it's nice.

The taste err...ah, ah, ah. Damn this is good! The sweet, the roasty, the smoke, and some dark chocolate bitterness that grows after every sip and I'm thinking wow. Be forewarned, the finish is *extremely* dry but for me, very satisfying. I can see why they call it an Imperial Porter! When you're in the mood for a Porter with some punch, this is the one to drink.

Medium close to full bodied with lightish carbonation. Excellent mouthfeel.

Drinkability? At 9%abv and I'm starting to feel it but whoopee! This one bottle is giving me one hell of a ride and for that, I thank Yazoo and Riley for the Porter named Sue!

Bitterbill, May 26, 2010
3.75/5  rDev -9.4%

Appears a dark mahogany toned brown with a dark tan head that slowly fades into a small cap. Scattered bits of lacing are left around the glass.
Smell is of smoked malt, cocoa, roasted nuts, and ripe fruit.
Taste is of the mentioned aromas with brown sugar, dark fruit, and a touch of beef jerky.
Mouthfeel is medium bodied, chewy, and meaty with light booziness showing itself.

weeare138, May 25, 2010

This beer pours a dark brown/pretty close to black with a light tan.
I smell a lot of smoked malts in this beer and not much else. Big camp fire aroma in this beer.
The smoked smell carrys over into the flavor. This is not a huge smoke flavor that dominates the beer. It is stong and is the forward taste but it works with the roasted and chocolate flavors to create a balanced beer.
The mouthfeel is smooth and it is very easy drinking.

JoePat, May 02, 2010
4.38/5  rDev +5.8%

Appearance: Pours a nearly black color with a rather modest head that leaves a nice pattern of squiggly lace around the sides of the glass

Smell: Chocolate covered cherries and wafts of smoke

Taste: The smoke reaches out from the get go, with the cherry wood flavor complementing the chocolate malt; by mid-palate, the effect is of a smokey confection of chocolate covered cherries which after the swallow, become even more pronounced in a malty fashion, though the smoke lingers into the finish

Mouthfeel: Medium to full body with moderate carbonation

Drinkability: I always knew Yazoo had it in them and I am so glad to have found a beer where the brewery seems to be reaching its potential; the sweetness and the smoke limits the drinkability a bit, but this is still a fine brew

brentk56, Apr 20, 2010
4.38/5  rDev +5.8%

Another great extra thrown in by a fantastic trader, Freethyhops. Thanks.

A - It pours a deep crude hue, with a nice persistent froth.

S - Quite smoky, and sweetly boozy, with something like a mesquite BBQ essence.

T - Tastes great. This is probably the best smoked porter I've had. Also the best Tennessee beer I've had (that one was easy.) Smoky up front, then sweet with elements of the roasted malt apparent, then the smoke comes roaring back. Stone's Smoked Porter is baby stuff compared to this one.

M - Long smoky finish, gives an impression like sitting around a campfire. Medium-to-full-bodied, good carbonation.

D - Good stuff, powerfully flavorful.

ktrillionaire, Apr 19, 2010
3.63/5  rDev -12.3%

Thanks go out to freethyhops for throwing this one in as an extra in a recent trade. 12 oz. bottle poured into my Stone RIS tulip.

A: Pretty much black but with ruby highlights. The pour creates a thick, nickel size tan head that fades, but leaves little lace.

A: Smoke is dominate in the nose. I get a healthy dose of chocolate and roasted malts, with notes of earthy hops, cherry wood, and vanilla.

T: Notes of vanilla, tart cherry, chocolate, roasted nuts, and of course the smoke. The tart smokiness is something unique and much appriciated. Finishes very dry.

M: I think this is the best part of the beer. Creamy, smooth, and viscous. Full bodied with good amount of carbonation.

D and overall impression: Drinkability is limited due to the high amount of smoke. Overall, this is a very original take on a smoked porter. I think the cherry wood and the chocolate malt play well with each other, it's just not one I would seek on a regular basis. But good though. Skal.

Gtreid, Apr 11, 2010
4.33/5  rDev +4.6%

This one comes from JohnQVegas a crazy good trader!!

A: Pours a very deep shade of dark black. A nice tan khaki head quickly rises and then dies to a nice solid ring. Beautiful sheet lacing is left all the way down the glass.

S: Wonderful aromas that only got better as it warmed. I started this one at 55 degrees and by the time it got to room temp it was a wonderful smelling brew. Tons of smoked malt for sure. Earthy chocolate, light coffee, earth, and hints of grassy hops.

T: Wonderful Wonderful smoked beer. This one is so much more than just smoke. The smoke is bold without being over the top. Nothing acrid about it at all. Is says they used Cherry wood which is a good choice. As a BBQ'er myself I think the milder smoke from the cherry wood really complimented the base porter. Bakers chocolate and hints of earthy hops are there. Threshold levels of dark fruit can be picked up as well.

M: On the fuller side of medium, smooth for a smoked beer, a bit of bite in the finish.

D: Really good for the style. Glad I got more than one. Next weekend I think I will fire up the smoker, cook some ribs over cherry wood and pair it up with a couple of these bad boys.

I purchased land in Tennessee several years ago. It makes me happy to know that I will have access to these guys when I move there. This is a tasty beer, and I have learned that the only thing better than a boy named Sue, is a beer named Sue!

tpd975, Mar 27, 2010
4.28/5  rDev +3.4%

Thanks to Photekut for sending me a couple bottles of this one. I've been seeking out more under-the-radar brews these days and this is one of them.

A - Looks pretty similar to the Simple Malt Stout I just had. A midnight black body with the slightest hint of brown at the fringes. The foam is a slightly lighter tan sliver that dissipated to a thin ring and some haze.

S - Smoky! However, it's not the overwhelming hickory and meat you get from a rauchbier - instead it's more of a sweet smokiness, perhaps from the cherrywood, on top of a dark fruit, chocolate, and roasted malt backbone.

T - I actually like the taste better, as it amps up the cherry sweetness and attenuates the smoke character. A good balance of cocoa, hickory, dark fruit, and earthy hops. More of a 4.25, but I was a little tough on the smell & appearance.

M - Prickly active carbonation, somewhat gritty, sticky, finish. Maybe a touch thinner than I prefer. It's definitely more appropriate for a porter than for a stout, and a appreciate the accurate naming. Not much heat, even at 9%.

D - One of the more drinkable smoke beers I've had. I would gladly have drank the bottle on my own, and I'm looking forward to sharing my other bottle with friends. The feel is a bit raw, but Yazoo will get better at the bottling process as time goes on.

MasterSki, Mar 18, 2010
4.3/5  rDev +3.9%

Poured into a snifter.

A - Pours a dark viscous black with a cappuccino colored head that settles down to a few wisps on top and a nice ring around the edges.

S - Smokiness dominates, but shares some space with dark chocolatey malts. Nice, but not really impressive.

T - Wow. Lots of complexity here. The smokiness from the nose is there, but not as prevalent as expected - very subdued actually. Dark malts with some earthy roasted notes. A dash of hops balance things out, and it all has an underlying mellow chocolaty sweetness. Finishes a bit dry. Delicious.

M - Nice, full-bodied, creamy and smooth.

D - Excellent. Alcohol is extremely well hidden and the beer is yummy. I wish I had bought more than a single.

Yazoo has produced a great beer here. I've really got to make my way down to the brewery and sample some of this on tap.

BatDaddy, Feb 28, 2010
4.2/5  rDev +1.4%

A-Oil can black with a quarter inch brownish head that disappeared with a small white cap.

S-Pleasant. Smokey sweet fruit aroma

T-smooth dark malt, tangy bitterness on the tongue, moderate to strong smoky flavor on the finish.

M-ample full bodied but not cloying

D-the alcohol is very well hidden. The smokiness took a little getting used to but I could drink several of these. Very well done.

John1985, Jan 29, 2010
4.45/5  rDev +7.5%

A: Careful pour produced 1 finger milk chocolate head. It is as black as any RIS I have ever seen.

S: Smoked wood, vanilla, chocolate a bit of cherry. Pretty complex and as pleasant as anything I have smelled before.

T: Hoppy smokiness dominates immediately. My first smoked beer so I may be taking the smokiness for hops. It fades into a smooth chocolate where the smoke disappears into the background. I place some of the cherry in the middle and a lot in the end.

M: Very rich and satisfying. A bit of alcohol warmth shows up after a few drinks.

D: I personally will never be able to drink lots of beer of this style. But most people will have an easy time with this.

I had been apprehensive about this for awhile. I don't care for Porters much. Only had 1 other Imperial Porter and it was far too sweet for me. This however has a lot of that RIS quality that I like. Most Porters are just too Meh for me. But this is very complex and not weak at all. I wish Linus Hall and the folks at Yazoo the best of luck!

generalnotsew, Jan 28, 2010
4.47/5  rDev +8%

A - Incredibly dark brown, verging on black. Thick, creamy medium brown head that is about two fingers thick. Slowly fades to about one finger that lasts long into the drink. Thick rings of lace left behind.

S - Smoke. And then some more smoke. Initially the smoke really dominates the nose. As it warms hints of roasted grains come through. Mixed with a touch of nuttiness. Earthiness comes through stronger as well.

T - Smoke is still the dominant flavor much like it dominated the nose, but it is not as overwhelming. Lots of roasted malts with an earthy nuttiness. Light fruitiness with hints of cherry and maybe a little pear? Smoke provides the backbone and carries throughout. I find smoke to be hit and miss in beers but this one is a very good one.

M/D - Full bodied with a touch of dryness. Easy drinking for a big smoky porter. Alcohol is not noticeable in the taste at all.

ckeegan04, Jan 26, 2010
3.35/5  rDev -19.1%

Bought a 4 pack here in Nashville for $6. I waited until I drank all 4 to review this.

The appearance is good, pouring a brown color with a generous head that slowly fades into a ring of bubbles. Smells like wood that was burned 2 days ago. I expected this to be similar to a scottish-style ale, which I like, but it wasn't at all. It tastes too much like actual wood. It literally tastes like liquid smoke, which isn't necessarily a terrible thing. This beer defintely has a very unique flavor. The mouthfeel is very thin but goes down smooth. It is a very different beer and not one that I would buy again.

KevinHollowell, Jan 25, 2010
4.43/5  rDev +7%

Obtained in trade from Imperialhopper83 (thanks!). Bottled in the 4th week of December, 2009. Poured from a 12oz bottle into my Dogfish Head shaped pint glass. Blasting Jay Reatard in the background (because this beer brings to mind fantasies of Memphis more than Nashville).

Very dark brown with faint chestnut highlights when held up to very bright light. An even finger of tan foam recedes to a rich collar and a thin slick coating. Fast moving sandy lacing and oily varnish on the sides of the glass.

Tallow, bacon, mice, brown butter, brown sugar, black malt, and sour coffee in the nose.

Charcoal, burnt sugar, roast malt, molasses, and a hint of hops on the palate. Heavy roast malt. Very low diacetyl is easily forgivable for the style. Dry, almost salty finish after multiple waves of dark sweetness. This would possibly make the best addition to a tri-tip marinade imaginable (is this a beer or a sauce?).

Alcohol heat comes across as black pepper on the gums - and adds a bit of body to what is at heart a medium-light ale. Slightly astringent, but not acrid - imagine if Schlenkerla did a sort of "imperial" schwarzbier.

A damn fine beer.