Hop Project #53 - Yazoo Brewing Company

No picture uploaded.

Yazoo Brewing Company visit their website
Tennessee, United States

American IPA |  ABV ?

(Beer added by: titosupertramp on 07-09-2011)
Reviews by Josiah2729:
3.93/5  rDev -2%

Picked up 6 pack of the Hop Project after tasting one at the MCBF.

Poured into tumbler.

A- Hazy Orange color, Two finger head, nice lacing

S- Grapefruit/Citrus hop smell, a little pine

T- Hoppy! Lots of tangy grapefruit, orange and a little pine taste. Nice bitter aftertaste.

M- Tangy frothy, dry feel

O- Great hoppy beer. This is a fun beer to drink. If you like Hops I recommend this beer.

Josiah2729, Aug 12, 2011

stampfler07, Feb 05, 2012
3.98/5  rDev -0.7%

A: Dark, golden amber in color, slightly hazy. An aggressive pour yields a frothy two fingers of off white, almost tan head. Lots of lacing left behind along with a fairly thick film. Very nice looking beer.

S: Pine resin, bitter citrus and just a hint of dank bud. Also a fair amount of sweet malts to balance everything out.

T: Taste is good, but it's not quite what I expected from the nose. The citrus really comes out in the taste with the pine playing a supporting role. Sweet, toasted malts help take the edge off of the bitterness, but overall this is still a pretty bitter beer. There's something adding spice to this, but I can't quite place it.

M: A iittle on the thin side, but I really like the dry, bitter finish.

O: It's really hard to keep up with this Hop Project series since Yazoo started cranking them out at such a prodigious rate, but this is one of the better ones that I can remember having.

titosupertramp, Jul 10, 2011
4.05/5  rDev +1%

Bottle poured into pint glass. 6/23/2011 bottled on date.

A- Glowing dark orange. Very hazy. When did Yazoo start bottle conditioning Hop Projects? I don't know, but interest is piqued by this new (to me, at least) twist on the Hop Project series. Wait, as I get to end of this and it has sat, a ton of this haziness has cleared up. Strange. Still a bit hazy, but nothing like it was after the pour for a 10 or 15 minutes. Not a lot of head.

S- A big heavy citrus hop punch. Is there Simcoe in this? I don't know the answer to that, but the smell is reminiscent of a toned down Weyerbacher Double Simcoe. That is a good thing.

T- Big, interesting hop mix. The taste is also similar to Double Simcoe to start, with a full, deep citrus hit. This is followed by a more bitter, pine finish. The finishing hop kick isn't bad, but is a little out of place here, in my opinion. This keeps it at 4 and not 4.5. Still very good.

M- A little lighter than anticipated from the hazy dark color, but still fine for the style. Easy drinkin'.

O- This is my favorite Hop Project in a good while. I only picked up a single of this, but will likely grab a sixer next time I see it on the shelves.

fsvan, Jul 29, 2011

bastu, Nov 16, 2011
4.1/5  rDev +2.2%

Very copper in color, clear, lightly tan head, two fingers, good lacing.

A bit of a malty IPA smell, very nice though, this one I like. Resiny and pungent, bitter hops meet with an almost malt-bomb type malty smell.

Taste wise this one is busy in a good way, kind of like grand central station on a Wednesday at 5pm, there's a lot going on here. On the one hand the malts are pungent, almost bomb-y, but then you realize that there's so much hops here that you're trying to catch two trains at the same time. Very oily hops flavors, pungent and bitter, with some grapefruit and pine, oranges, and lightly fruity too.

Body is medium with very nice, creamy carbonation. Bitterness lingers with a lightly oily aftertaste/feel.

Um, this is my second Yazoo ever (I think). "Sue" was my first and it's always on my "always wants" list from here on out. Because I'm really anxious to try more Yazoo beers, I'm giving the overall on this one a 4.5. It's really a very tasty, complex, interesting IPA. Great job on this one!

Review was switched from #36 to #53, my bad on that one. Yazoo you should more clearly label the bottles for your batches tho!

AlCaponeJunior, Sep 21, 2011
Hop Project #53 from Yazoo Brewing Company
- out of 100 based on 6 ratings.