Hop Project #55 - Yazoo Brewing Company

Hop Project #55Hop Project #55

Yazoo Brewing Company visit their website
Tennessee, United States

American IPA |  ABV ?

(Beer added by: Tilley4 on 08-05-2011)

t0rin0, Mar 07, 2013
3.05/5  rDev -11.1%

Poured into a snifter on 11/29/11

Bottled July 2011

Deeply honey hued with amber tones. One thumb of smooth foam sees a gathering of bubbles in the middle, after a few minutes.The head recedes moderately. Scattered bands of lace (better after several sips).

The aroma features juicy lemon and dashes of pine; to that end it smells a lot like lemon pine-sol or some such. Doesn't smell harshly solvent-like though. Floral hints bleed into notions of sweetbread and caramel. The hop flavors are pretty one-dimensional at this point - it's mostly pine with moderate bitterness and a couple citric stragglers (I reckon this is due to freshness more than anything). Still, it doesn't taste too bad at all. Toasted bread with a granular feel deeper down. Finishes resinous and quite dry. The overall feel is thin, though carbonation seems inclined to salvage things.

Overall impression - I sure didn't know what to expect with the age, but I figured I might as well get one when I was it in the singles cooler. Not having tried it fresh, it seems to have held up well in the sense that I wouldn't have guessed it's a four month old IPA.

Ryan011235, Nov 30, 2011

MeatnCheese, Nov 22, 2011

bastu, Nov 16, 2011
3.38/5  rDev -1.5%

A big thanks to Evan (optimator13) for this great extra. Cheers!

Bottled July 2011. #55

Appearance – Pours a murky amber into a tulip. About a half finger of slight off white head is achieved with a somewhat vigorous pour, which dissipates almost immediately leaving spotty lacing.

Smell – As others have mentioned, the aroma up front is a earthy, vegetable type smell. Slight hops, pine, and malt, but honestly mainly just fresh cut veggies.

Taste – More bitter than the nose let on. Bitter hops and pine up front with just a tad of caramel and pale malts at the end. Finishes bitter. The more I drink, the “spicier” this is. In addition, there is a definite earthiness to this, along with cooked vegetables (though nothing like what Short’s Kind Ale tasted like).

Mouthfeel – Thinner bodied, prickly carbonation.

Overall – I guess this is why they call it Hop Project, heh. An interesting beer to say the least. Not horrible, but not something I would grab a six pack of if the opportunity arose. Still, glad to have tried it!

SpdKilz, Sep 16, 2011

Number five on the one stop Southern tour.

Hazy orange body, topped by a creamy dentable three-finger just-off-white head.

Nose is pretty much straight pine.

Drops a splash of semi-sweet malt that lasts a couple of seconds, before pine explodes everywhere. At the swallow there is surge of fruit that mingles with the pine in the afterglow.

Solid medium mouthfeel.

Overall, too one dimensional to be a regular with me, but an interesting one off.

RonfromJersey, Sep 10, 2011
3.4/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Growler. Served at around 45F. I THINK this is #55. My friend picked this up for me but he couldn’t remember which one it was and I called the store and they couldn’t tell me specifically either, which is pretty lame. Said it was either 55 or 56. The profile I’m getting leads me to believe it is #55.

Pours slightly hazed amber with a one finger white head that retains pretty well and leaves plenty of spots of lacing.

Aroma features some apricot, pine, spicy, some onion, a little citrus of lemon and grapefruit, good amount of bread and caramel malt. Very good strength but kind of a mess and not terribly appealing.

Flavor is pine, grapefruit, a little onion, spicy hops, rather hefty malt backbone of caramel, toffee, and bread, moderate sweetness and finishes with very good bitterness. Most Hop Projects I’ve had have been quite bitter and this one follows suit.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied, a little creamy, moderate carbonation.

A solid, but not spectacular Hop Project from Yazoo.

elgiacomo, Aug 18, 2011
3.43/5  rDev 0%

Finally reviewing a bottle that's been in the fridge for a week. It pours a copper color with little head. Nothing to exciting coming out of the bottle. I mainly get malt and little hops in the nose. Taste is malt up front and strong bitterness at the tail end that lingers. The mouth is rather thin which isn't a huge surprise but thought it might be a little thicker due to the strong malt presence. Overall this is a middle of the road hop project. Not a huge fan of the hops used in it but it sure did make a killer beer bread.

brobeerbot, Aug 14, 2011
2.65/5  rDev -22.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Strange brew...

I swear the aroma reminds me of freshly sliced tomatoes which I love but I'm not so sure I want my beer to smell like them... Definitely a vegetal aroma to this... The citrus does come through however and makes this extremely unique...

Pale malts upfront that explode into an intense bitterness on the finish... No juiciness or flavor, just grain and then a wallop of bitter... This one's a miss for me...

These Hop Projects are all over the place lately... Some are good and others aren't even close. This one falls in the second category...

Tilley4, Aug 05, 2011
Hop Project #55 from Yazoo Brewing Company
- out of 100 based on 9 ratings.