The Beacon - Yazoo Brewing Company

Yazoo Brewing Company visit their website
Tennessee, United States

Smoked Beer |  ABV ?

Beer added by: hopoilcrazy on 03-24-2013

Calfkiller and Yazoo brewed this beer with some German oak smoked wheat malt, local TN honey, and some in-house Calfkiller-roasted coffee. It's fermented with Calfkiller's house ale yeast and unfiltered. The nose is fresh, clean and slightly flowery. The smoked wheat shows up in the beginning of the first sip, followed by a herbal, earthy body but finishing dry and only slightly sweet.
3.39/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Screw TN beer tax laws!

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass. Has a pale, hazy golden color. Smells like wheat and campfire. Was expecting this to be more smoky but that's more of an aftertaste. It does have a bacony/pork taste to it? I don't know why I get that feeling, maybe its the pig on the bottle but I say its a good thing! Good carbonation, malty, not as smoky as SUE

3.28/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

First off I love the protest this beer stands for.I wasn't sure what I was buying other than it was brewed with smoked wheat malt but i bought it anyways.Poured into a weizen glass a slightly hazed light golden with a decent size white head that was way to quickly.Clean aromas with the smoke being nearly non detectable,yeasty with mild sweentess mainly.Mild smoke and lightly sweet on the palate with faint yeasty esters,again just pretty clean.It would be for grilling or no brainer stuff but it's not what I was expecting.Iam guessing the abv. is pretty low here.

3.17/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Bomber purchase from Craft Brewed in Nashville. Poured into a globe glass.

The appearance of this beer is pale gold, slightly cloudy, about 3 fingers of frothy head. Looks very similar to Yazoo Hefe which is expected as it's a wheat beer. That's where the similarities end though. The primary smell to me is of earth followed by a light smokiness and some faint banana and clove essence. The taste is similar although the smoke is much more noticeable. The wheat beer undertones are there..malty grains, banana esters, some cloves. I'm not sure what style they were going for here but the result is interesting. The mouthfeel is thin, light-bodied, and clean. I'm glad I got to try this beer and fully support what it stands for. Overall, however the mixture of wheat and smoke is not really my preference.

1.9/5  rDev -38.7%

Smell was interesting enough with the smokes males coming through. I'm a fan of smoked beers so I was looking forward to this offering.

Mouthfeel was thin and watery. That's ok with me too, but is not sufficient to pair up with the smoke.

Taste was uninterpretable (for me)because of the paralyzing astringency. Just awful.

Astringent and undrinkable.

Yazoo should have spent more time on the beer and less time on the bottle.

2.58/5  rDev -16.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2

Had this 2 days from when it was bottled, very fresh. Purchased from Beer Depot in Murfreesboro, TN. Very unique beer. Most similar to german rauchbier's, but with a lot less smokiness, and slightly resembles the smokiness of Yazoo's SUE, but otherwise a whole different beer.

Huge head, high carbonation, which may be due to the store handling it as they had just recieved the shipment few hours prior to purchase. Poured into pint glass, cloudy unfiltered beer, decently light colored, looks like a hefe. Smell....wow.

Smells like bacon more than any other beer i've ever smelled. Smells like a complete morning breakfast, actually, although not as good smelling as founder's KBS.

Taste is lacking any sort of kick whatsoever. Being a "protest beer" or whatever this is, they obviously had to water it down due to Tennessee's stupid laws, so they could bring it below 6.2% abv and sell it in beer stores. Tastes very watery, with hints of bacon and breakfast all over, but some of them aren't very pleasant. Not really much complexity or flavor besides the initial bacon. Very dry aftertaste, really leaves you wanting more. Would make a decent session beer.

Was really expecting a lot more from this, and there isn't enough smokey character as I was expecting. I really enjoyed SUE from Yazoo, and was hoping this would be as good. Maybe with a higher alchohol content, but this was nothing special. Not sure if I'd buy again, wasn't horrible but really lacks in excitement. Huge fan of wheat and smoked beers, so I guess maybe i had too high, or the wrong expectations for this.

Edit: May re-review later this week, as my palate my have been a bit discriminating as I had a Rochefort 10 and an Oaked Arrogant Bastard in the hours preceding, hard to compare to those 2.

3.79/5  rDev +22.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Tasted On: 03-28-2013
Freshness: Not indicated
Packaging: 750ml brown bottle, pry-cap with tape
Glassware: Tulip
Purchased: Single from Frugal MacDoogal, Nashville

Nice touch on the neck and cap, to wrap it in red tape to highlight this is a tax protest beer for the state of Tennessee and its crazy-high beer taxes.

A: Color is golden, first showing a fairly cloudy look and then clearing up a bit. The head is white and fluffy, with an OK amount of retention and very good lacing.

S: The first smell is smoke, from the smoked wheat malts. Then I get some banana esters typical of the wheat ale yeast. The wheat malts give a lightness to the aroma. Other notes are of wine-like grape fruits and maybe a bit of woody/sourness as well.

T: The taste opens up with a smoky taste, similar to a rauchbier, but lighter in body and flavor. Some fruitiness akin to grapes is present, but the beer is pretty dry. I also get some yeast spiciness.

M: Crisp mouthfeel due to the high carbonation levels. Medium-bodied, the beer finishes clean and dry with more smokey flavors.

O: Well this is a very interesting beer. I'd say it seems more like the Polish/German smoked wheat beer called a Grätzer (or Grodziskie) than any other styles I know of. I think it could benefit from either some additional malt sweetness and/or hop flavors, but maybe that's just because I'm not used to this kind of beer. Great to see the TN brewers rally together and drum up support to level the playing field for craft beer in the state!

2.97/5  rDev -4.2%

A- Nice unfiltered look, definitely the best part of the beer

S- Faint floral notes. Little bit of citric spiciness, coriander.

T- All right balance. Bread-y notes, slight, very slight citrus. Wheat malt astringency

M- Nice lively carbonation, light body

Overall, I think that if I was sipping this lakeside, during the middle of July, I would be enjoying this a lot more.

The Beacon from Yazoo Brewing Company
- out of 100 based on 7 ratings.