Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Aiken Scottish 80 Shilling Ale - Aiken Brewing Company

South Carolina, United States

Scottish Ale |  5.90% ABV

Beer added by: JISurfer on 05-24-2006

4.42/5  rDev +10.8%

Note: When I was at the brewpub, it was called Scotch Ale, but I think it is the same beer.

Appearance: Arrives at the table with a dark caramel color with a modest head but not much lacing

Smell: English toffee aroma with a touch of peat

Taste: Caramel flavor up front; after the swallow, the toffee and peat elements come through and lead to a lingering finish

Mouthfeel: Medium body and moderate carbonation

Drinkability: Excellent Wee Heavy "Light" - imagine what this would be like if they cranked the abv up a notch or two

4.22/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Had this lad the night before throwing at the Aiken Scottish Games. Since my performance the very next day garnered me "Athlete of the Day", it's safe to say that this beer had magical powers. Aside from that, it was an excellent version of a Scottish Ale. The main taste that was evident was the malty body, with the thick buttery after taste. It's as if the beer, somehow, melted in your mouth. Not sure how a liquid can do that, but you get the idea. This beer got me excited about drinking micros again, thus prompting me to get back on this site. It was so good, that we all knocked back 4 growlers of it. The best thing though, was at the Aiken Games. I was lucky enough to meet up the brewmaster, who was in "great spirits" and hooked me up with 2 big pints of it! God bless that man! If you have the chance to try this one, DO NOT LET IT GO UNTASTED! You'll thank me for steering you towards it.

3.72/5  rDev -6.8%

I think this is the correct beer. When I was there it was simply referred to as "Scottish Ale". The one I had was not the Wee Heavy/Scotch Ale which was on tap at the same time. So I believe this was it. Anyways...

Aiken brewing company Scottish ale
16oz pour into a pint glass
On tap at the brewery

A: caramel color, no head of lacing 3

S: not much of a nose, but what's there is pretty nice; sweet bread, doughy, subtle malts 3.5

T: malty, biscuity, subtle English hops to balance; really tasty 4

M/D: lighter side of medium body, carbonation low but appropriate: drinkability is good 3.5

O: good sessions me beer if you are in the mood for something different 3.75

3.6/5  rDev -9.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

I was served a pint in a chilled pint glass at the Brewpub in Aiken, SC.

A: I poured a brownish, amber body with an off white slight (half finger) head that did not linger long. There was spotty lacing.

S: It had aromas of candy (toffee)and sweet lightly toasted malts.

T: There was an initial flavor of caramel and sweet malts followed by creamy earthy spices. The finish was sweet and it lingered into the aftertaste.

M: It was medium bodied with modest carbonation and a sweet profile from start to finish (and well into the aftertaste).

D: It's a touch sweet for an extended session. However, this is a solid Scottish Ale....true to style and easy to drink and a low ABV.

Aiken Scottish 80 Shilling Ale from Aiken Brewing Company
- out of 100 based on 4 ratings.