Toña Cerveza - Industrial Cervecera S.A. / Compañía Cervecera De Nicaragua

to view more.
Ratings: 202 | Reviews: 123
Reviews by putnam:
3.14/5  rDev +16.7%

My pal Mike brought me a sample of this Nicaraguan beer. I resisted tasting it for a few weeks (I have been suffering from a summer cold).

True to Mike's report, this beer has a somewhat deeper malt profile in the aromas than a typical industrial "world lager." I smell spices and blonde hash too, punctuated with toasted biscuit crust. The color is very pale (practically no head retention).

The balance on the palate leans toward richness and creamy texture, with dull, caramelized lemon fruit before the telltale industrial lager water essences assert themselves on the pleasantly dry finish.

This beer is better than Budweiser. It is a little sweeter than Miller High Life, which itself verges on too sweet for my palate.

Perhaps with some pupusas or empanadas filled with beans and pork...

1.6/5  rDev -40.5%

12 ouncer, pours very light and clear pissy yellow. Minor white head, zippo lacing, c'mon what was I expecting? And the sweet, corn/rice nose, that screams "adjuncts!" How do you saw "drain pour" in Spanish? Oh man this is some bad stuff, cant even say 'lawn mower" brew for this one. At least I was smart enough to purchase only a single bottle of this swill. Thank god I dont live in Nicaragua.

2.88/5  rDev +7.1%

Pours clear macro yellow with a minimal white head. The aroma is kind of hard to find, but what is there appears to be corn. The flavor is standard macro, but is actually one of the better adjunct lagers I have had. Still not full of flavor by any means, but this one is definitely drinkable. Thin mouthfeel and medium-high carbonation. I won't seek it out again, but it was a decent beer for the style.

2.68/5  rDev -0.4%

Pale, pale, pale yellow, clear, but with a decent 1/2 inch fizzy head with fairly good duration for the style. A few isolated strings for lace. Pale malt aromas, some maize and a touch of a lemony bite. Light mouthfeel, but the carbonation is not excessive, which adds a decent drinkability. Calm and straightforward sweetness, light brown sugar and slight yellow corn, with little hop to notice as distinct. Slight sharpness like old wet Army canvas in the second half of the profile. The last bit takes away from a clean impression somewhat, but not really seriously destroying the overall effect.

2.74/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

12 oz brown bottle with a twist cap.

Pours with a light golden color and a fizzy head that soon reduces to a minimal partial top coat.

Aroma: as expected for style - mild; mostly biscuits and spicy/herbal Euro hops.

Flavor: a bit better than expected given the aroma; on par for style - mild; biscuits and lightly spicy hops with a touch of corn. Thankfully, only the slightest hint of skunking.

Feel: carbonation is a touch lower than usual but no harm in this. Light body.

O: not bad as a refreshing light beer. Worked well with Mexican food.

2.8/5  rDev +4.1%

12oz bottle from Tipsy's Liquor World in Denver. Strong Simpsons' associations are stirring in me there.

This beer pours a clear, very pale, diluted golden straw colour, with two fingers of puffy, but mostly fizzy dirty white head, which leaves damned near nothing in the way of persistent lace as it quickly falls away.

It smells of a gritty, grainy corn and pale malt sweetness, musty, overripe drupe fruit, mild acetone, and leafy, weedy hops. The taste is dusty pale malt, dried corn husks, echoes of apple and pear skins that once were, and earthy, weedy hops. Simple, that's for sure.

The carbonation is quite frothy in its one trick fizzy pony show, the body medium-light in weight, and a mite bit clammy in its sticky smoothness. It finishes mostly dry, the graininess of the mixed malts and plain-ass hops gettin' 'er done, but without much in the way of overt crispness.

An average offering, for this well-below average style. At least the off-flavours are kept to a minimum, all of which just results in a stark, unadorned canvass of grainy water. Damned if you do, damned if you don't, with these national lagers, I suppose.

2.75/5  rDev +2.2%

Came across this at my local store so said why not? Who knew that non-descript AAL's were popular in Central America? I thought I was drinking a cross between a Miller High Life with a hint of Heineken.

Poured a typical pale straw color with the smell and taste dominated with adjuncts. The mouth feel is watery and there is no real finish.

Unless you are trying to drink beers from as many counties as possible don't bother with this one.

2.24/5  rDev -16.7%
look: 2 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 1.75

I have had Tona on several occasions inside and outside of the United States, with Costa Rica being the country I consumed it in the most (it is widely sold in Costa Rica or it was in 2010). It pours relatively pale, is watery, and has little noticeable aroma. In my opinion it does have kind of a bight going down, even though it is only 4.6% ABV, and it has a grainy taste. it is great for sunny and hot when exploring the beach or country.

San Jose/Punta Viejo, Costa Rica August, 2010

2.7/5  rDev +0.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

very light tasting. Not much head after pour into glass. This is one beer my wife liked so I know it has a very weak flavor. The flavor dosnt last long in your mouth. After taste fades very fast. Good beer for someone who isnt a big beer drinker.I guess I was expecting more like a Dos Equis or something similar to that.

Over all I would say slighty below an average beer. I just started drinking Cervezas but I have had others with more overall taste and flavor.

3.25/5  rDev +20.8%

Poured from a 12 oz. gringo bottle into a pint glass. Pours your standard pale golden in color and offering a light stream of bubbles emanating from the base. Half an inch of foam settles to and maintains a surface cap throughout and leaving some random lacing.

Sweet malts and corn on the nose, typical of Central American breweries and with just a hint of Europe, by way of the Caribbean, in the form of a light noble hop presence.

Taste is smooth and with a bit of a light syrupy finish. Good carbonation yields a decent feel which cleans up by the finish as the carbonation keeps the malt structure from overwhelming the palate.

An easy drinking beer, and yet another tropical brew I think is better dubbed a Euro Pale Lager vs. an American version thereof.

1.28/5  rDev -52.4%

I found this last week in Miami while dashing around in 84F heat and was thirsting for a beer. A Hispanic shop conveniently appeared so I thought 'what the hell', some of these Latino brews are ok...

Wrong on this one. I was going to take notes, but I had nothing to write as it turned out. Very pale in colour, like watered-down pee. Little aroma, no taste. Nothing, except carbonation - no true flavour at all. Just a hint of coarse grainy mouthfeel which was trying to be the flavour. Very watery, in spite of being 4.6%. Well, it briefly quenched my thirst, I'll give it that!

Ok for a hot day if water is in a short supply...

1.61/5  rDev -40.1%

Poured a very, very, very light yellow with a light fizzy white head.

Smell is light and sweet with some hints of citrus.

Taste has a strong corn syrup quality, very sweet and corny with a bit of light grassy malts.

Mouthfeel is light and thin.

Pretty standard Macro swill, a little bit cornier and sweeter than the average American version, I can't believe this is worth importing.

2.77/5  rDev +3%

As mentioned ad naseum, this may be the palest beer ever. Light aroma, slightly hopped. Slightly sweet. Surprisingly I can actually taste hops. I also get an unusual after taste...remember those really old taffies your grandma would have on the mantle, and how they had a sort of musty after taste from being so old? Sort of like that, but very slight. Anyway, it's 10 trillion times better than Corana which isn't saying much, but it's something. Good with pozole and menudo.

3.08/5  rDev +14.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I got this baby as a special at Alabama Liquors in downtown Indianapolis. At $0.75/bottle, how bad can be it?

Well, it isn't that bad, really. I popped the cap and drank it from the bottle (personally, I think the proper glassware for the American macro-lager style is the bottle it comes in) and I gotta say it tastes nice. Very light, with a pleasant prickly carbonation. It has a very strong fruit-loops taste and smell, which is a pleasant change from the nasty, adjuncty mess I was expecting.

A top tier beer this ain't, but for the style (and the price) I've got no complaints.

3.2/5  rDev +19%

For what it is--a Central American thirst quenching light lager, it excels. Pours to a thin, white head that fades and ample carbonation. Color is light straw, similar to Budweiser. Aroma is sweet and corny as you'd expect. Flavor is very light, watery, adjuncty and very easy to quaff. Finishes clean with little aftertaste. True to style with no major flaws. I could drink this stuff ice-cold all day in the hot summer. Why? Because it is a refreshing water beverage and not much of a beer...as it should be!

3.57/5  rDev +32.7%

Poured from a brown bottle into a weizen glass. Has a pale yellow color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is mild and slightly sweet. Taste is crisp and refreshing. Feels light in the mouth and is very drinkable. This is a good hot weather beer and overall not a bad choice.

3.29/5  rDev +22.3%

A friend of mine brought this back to me after a trip to her homeland. Taken from the 12 fl. oz. can marked 080809-1509C1. Sampled on March 14, 2009.

A - The pour is pale yellow with a quick burst of bubbly white head that fizzles in short order. No lacing to speak of.

S - The malts are the leading aroma followed by something a little grainy. It was better than I expected.

T & M - The mouthfeel was not quite watered down but not heavy either. The flavor had a strong sweet malt element to it.

I did not think it was too bad.

3.33/5  rDev +23.8%

A: Clean macro-yellow with a strong visible carbonation presence. The head is off white with a gloss to it, 2 fingers high it stood dominant for a good length of time. A good amount of lace adheres to the glass walls with a modest full band. Don’t know what people expect visually out of this style, but came off pretty good as can be expected from my stand point.

S: The aroma was faint of dried maize, grainy, and modest in strength. Comes in at average expectations.

T: The flavor was sweet and grainy, fairly clean with no off flavors. A decent grain base for an American adjunct. A bit of maize comes on the swallow. Simple, low hopped and again pretty much what you would expect per style.

M: Would of liked to see a bit more sharpness and crispness here, light on the tongue but comes with a fairly clean exit which is always good.

O: As far as American adjuncts go, setting personal preference aside, this is clean, very easy to consume and would trump any BMC in my book. Will it make you go wow, again no, but did show some flashes of grainy sweetness and cleanness to make it above par. If I was a fan of this style this would be a good candidate for multiples. Very cleanly brewed helps.

2.9/5  rDev +7.8%

Drink this cold and from the bottle. The nice silkscreened bottle.
Lime was thrown on top, not a bad additon to a mediocre beer. Looks clear and yellow in a highball glass. Slight foam, nothing substantial. Bready malt aroma.

Tastes mostly of the bready malt hinted at in the aroma. Otherwise it's watery and undiscernable from other macro lagers. This was on special at a bar for $2.50, which I would take over the usual macro crap. Very plain, but drinkable...fairly clean overall. So is water, you'd be better off with that, if you're strictly looking for refreshment without inebriation.

1.43/5  rDev -46.8%

12 oz bottle, nov 06 date code on neck.

Clear yellow. Fluffy white head, no lacing.

Initial aroma is chemical, akin to Raid ant and roach spray. After that burns off it’s all cooked corn and sugar.

Flavor is of pennies soaked in water.

Awful, I knew I should have only bought a single instead of a 6er. I can barely finish 1 bottle, let alone 6. Drain pour for sure

1.56/5  rDev -42%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Clear green bottle: Poured a clear pale yellow color lager with a small pure white bubbly head with not much retention or lacing. Aroma consists of light corn adjunct and bland aftertaste. Not much character to this one other then bland taste and light sweet malt notes. Another tasteless lager for mass consumption.

3.3/5  rDev +22.7%

I won't pretend to recall a whole lot about the appearance or aroma of Toña; I only bothered pouring it into a glass two or three times. It was a pale golden color with barely a rim of head, and a relatively standard American lager aroma. The taste is extremely clean, and more oriented towards malt and corn than rice extract. I'm absolutely shocked at everyone here comparing Toña negatively to American lagers like Bud and Coors; there's just none of the thick rice blechiness of those beers here. If you're tasting cardboard, blame poor storage and transport conditions; there's none of that at all when it's fresh. The body is light and thin, but in a refreshing way; very smooth and clean-tasting - I'm amazed that this is nearly a 5% beer, from the mouthfeel and utter lack of alcohol heat I would've estimated 3%.

But the area where this cerveza really shines is in drinkability. On a recent trip to Granada and San Juan del Sur, we literally drank Toña morning, noon, and night. And later at night. Every single day. And we never got sick of it, never got so much as a gross beer aftertaste. It goes with gallo pinto, it goes with indio viejo, it goes with lobster al ajillo. It's even a nice rum chaser. We really put this beer through its drinkability paces like no other and it succeeded hands down. I'm a little surprised that they bother importing it to the US, but taken in its parched tropical context, it's a sure winner.

I will resist the urge to bump up the score by filing a second review for canned Toña, as I don't think there's a damn bit of difference between the two.

2.1/5  rDev -21.9%

I tried this at Quencher's Saloon in Chicago - not because I heard anything good about it, but just because I never had a Nicaraguan beer before. 12oz brown bottle with no freshness date.

The beer poured a perfectly clear gold color with a ½-finger of white head that disappeared in 30 seconds and left no lacing.

This beer has no smell - not even a beer smell.

Just an ordinary macro lager here - not that good but not bad either. Slight grain flavor and a bit on the sweet side. No hop presence to speak of.

Light body with medium high carbonation.

It'll do on a hot day, but not anything I would seek out again.

Can you smell the revolución?

Someone threw this into my bag when I wasn't looking. I asked if they had any glasses, & when I come back to the counter, the cashier has a sly look on her face.

It pours mimicking ginger-ale, white fizzy head, golden body, strong, soda-like carbonation. The head fades almost as soon as I finish typing.

Smells of oats, dry leaves, fruit roll-ups & Juicy-Juice.

Taste is devoid of anything I just mentioned. Watered down apple juice & a peel of the skin for the slightest hint of bitterness. A little lettuce keeps my tongue dry on the finish.

Hard water from my faucet puts up more resistance going down.

A good alternative to bottled water. :)

2.37/5  rDev -11.9%

Bought in Costa Rica and compared to the Costa Rican national beers. Between Imperial, Pilsen, Bavaria Gold and Tona, Tona was the worst.

Rather standard in appearance, but it quickly goes downhill from there. Relatively strong vegetal smell that leads into a taste that is both harsh upfront and then quickly drops off to nothingness. Even by adjunct lager standards, this is rather bad.

Fun to try..and glad they are sold in singles at the AutoMercado supermarkets.

to view more.