Toña Cerveza - Industrial Cervecera S.A. / Compañía Cervecera De Nicaragua

poor

Industrial Cervecera S.A. / Compañía Cervecera De Nicaragua visit their website
Nicaragua

American Adjunct Lager |  4.60% ABV

(Beer added by: Imbiber on 02-16-2004)
4.8/5  rDev +77.8%

Alright nigga. Sit down and buckle the fuck up imma about to learn you some shit on the best goddamn bear in ever. Legit talking about the nectar flowing from Eve's sweet pussy once a month and had nigga Adam accin tha fool. If you havent guessed by now or are otherwise fucked in the head and havenn't had the glorious pleaseure of its cold embrace on your pallete let a nigga break it down for you.
Im talkin Tona.
Shut the fuck up. GO BUY ONE AND DRINK IT YOU BITCH. IM LEGIT ICING YOU WITH A TONA OVER THE INTERNET.
Done? DElish? Fuckin thought so you're welcome. now lets get into the ratings and explanations.
NOPE! NIGGA JUST DRANK ONE. CASE CLOSED. GO BUY SOME TONA'S IF YOU ARENT AFRAID OF GREATNESS.

4.58/5  rDev +69.6%

This is one of the best tasting central American lagers I have tasted. It pours up to make a beautiful white head, and when one pours it straight into a pint glass, the bubbling action releases one of the cleanest smells I have experienced in a brew. The odor of malt combines with subtle adjuncts to provide an interesting smell that invites one to "breathe the beer" as they drink. It has a very even light straw color, the lightness of which belies the bite one gets after having two or three of these. Its drinkability is exceptional. It is, overall, an excellent session beer. Mouthfeel is very nonobtrusive -- once the beer leaves the palate, the mouth is clean, wanting more of this fine brew. Those who would fault it because it is clean, clear, and light just do not get it. This is Nicaraguan cerveza -- people of Aztec descent live in hot climes and have had corn as a staple for centuries. Hence, they have historically made the best beers to refresh and throw off the heat. Heck, if I want ale, I summon the Brits -- that's their specialty -- they get cold and want heavy stuff, and that is fine -- that's their heritage! I'd put this humble beer in the same bracket as Carta Blanca. Drink it ice cold, and you'll never again drink an American macrobrew.

4.5/5  rDev +66.7%

4.43/5  rDev +64.1%

Aroma - a strong lager yeast aroma was apparent after pouring Tona into a glass, the aroma had a faint maltiness also.
Taste - There was a fine balance between the sweet malt and the aromatic hops.
Mouthfeel - The body was consistent with a European Style Lager.
Drinkability - Balanced and refreshing with just the right amount of maltiness for this style.
My over all impression was very favorable so I contacted the friend that gave me the 6 pack and asked him about the beer. He knew the importer so he gave me his name and I contacted him with my thoughts. He felt it was appropriate to ask the brewmaster and so I exchanged e-mails with him, Rudiger Adelmann.

My impressions were that the beer was brewed with less adjunct grain and it was probably rice and more two-row than six-row barley malt. The brewer informed me that he uses only two-row barley and only 30% of the mash is rice in comparison to 40% being the average American Lager with adjunct grain.

I wanted to make sure the sweetness didn't come from DMS so I asked him about that and he responded that his level is about 30-50 ppb which places it at the bottom or below American Lager levels. They are the third brewery in the world to install a new wort boiling sytem called "Stromboli" from the German company Krones-Steinecker which is designed to get rid of undesired off flavors like DMS during wort boiling.

I love this beer...viva la Tona!

4.33/5  rDev +60.4%

I have to admit that I was pretty much blown away by this Nicaraguan offering. I had never seen it in the market before, and I just sort of stumbled on it while shopping at an HEB one afternoon. The bottle looked cool, and it had a shelf-talker from one of the store clerks recommending it, so I took the chance and picked up a sixer. Damn glad I did, too, as this surprising beer was actually quite excellent.

The beer pours quite well, with a pillowy head and a clear complexion. The nose was sweet and malty.

The taste was flat-out great. Very smooth and relaxed, a slight crackery tone to the malts and an excellent balance from the hops. I was very impresed with how tight this beer was. It's basically a Nicaraguan macro, but it's just miles ahead of most of it's domestic competition. Although the smell had some sweetness, it wasn't readily apparent in the flavor profile.

The mouthfeel was good, the finish just as good as the first taste. VERY drinkable. I'll definitely pick this one up again, especially in the warmer months. This beer could easily go toe-to-toe with most of the US macros and win handily. Note that my rating is high based on that criteria. For a macro lager, it doesn't get much better than this.

IT is a way of call a Woman named Antonia in spanish way, like a friendly way, like Bill for William. OR Pancho for Francisco. The beer is quite great, a little dark, but not enough to be a Vienna, it is perhap a semi dark lager. IT is drank by young people at parties. BUt the flavor is good, not at all a crappy lager.

3.83/5  rDev +41.9%

This was a suprising beer. Sure, the bottle looked "classy", but as you all know, looks aren't everything in the world of beer. Very well balanced malts and hops. I would drink this over most any other American Macro anytime. The smell and taste kind of had a very light smokey vibe going on. Overall a nice beer, especially for the summer.

3.78/5  rDev +40%

Tona Cerveza has a medium, frothy, white head, and a clear, straw appearance. Carbonation is high, and lacing is minimal. Aroma is of tosted barley, and that is the essential smell I picked up. The taste is an interesting mix of sweetness, barley, citrus, and maybe some other grain, with almost no hop bitterness. Mouth-feel is light and watery, and Tona finishes refreshing and not as dry as American lagers. Overall, I found this to be a surprisingly different-tasting beer. I enjoyed it and recommend others give it a try.

RJT

3.75/5  rDev +38.9%

3.75/5  rDev +38.9%

3.73/5  rDev +38.1%

Very pale, light clean looking lager with white head that totally disappears leaving no lace.

Smells as clean as it looks, little malt and a little corn.

I love the taste of this lager. It's definitely light and a bit metallically but quite refreshing.

Mouthfeel is also light and watery and well carbonated.

Typically I drink dark or heavy beers but then again I do live in South Florida so sometimes you need something to quench your thirst and that's what this beer does. I know most people get down on this style but when it's 95 degrees and your cutting the grass in 100% humidity a stout won't do. I love a lot of Mexico/Central America/South America/Caribbean beers for this reason, it's just a good summer brew that beats the big American macro brew out there.

3.58/5  rDev +32.6%

Poured from a brown bottle into a weizen glass. Has a pale yellow color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is mild and slightly sweet. Taste is crisp and refreshing. Feels light in the mouth and is very drinkable. This is a good hot weather beer and overall not a bad choice.

3.48/5  rDev +28.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I will say the same as everyone else. Pale, pale, pale. This beer is quite appealing, given the economical situation of this country. It's not the best in the world, but one of the best in central america. The scent of corn is strong enough to recognize fairly quickly. The taste of corn and slight hops is what gives this plain beer a somewhat exciting taste and puts it above the other central america beers you will see in Nicaraguan bars.

3.48/5  rDev +28.9%

Bottle poured into a glass.

A- Meh. Goldish. Light bubbles. Light 1 finger head that disappeared fast. Nothing awesome.

S- Nothing special. Smelled like a watered down somthing.

T- Real easy to drink. No hiccups. Carbonation was good. I dont know this was just easy to drink. Probably one of the lightest beers I have drank. This got some points I guess on drinkablility.

M- Very thin, bubbly to the tongue. It was okay but it wasnt great either.

D- Without a doubt. The only real good thing on this review. I could drink a 12 pack of these. Not a problem. But at $8 a six pack, Ill pass.

Its good to try if its on sale and your going to a BBQ or a get together. Not somthing Id waste another $8 on though.

Meh I say.

3.43/5  rDev +27%

Pours a very light yellow color with a crackling white head that actually does'nt fade in an instant. Some lacing is evident as well.

Has a pretty typical Latin lager nose on it, sweet malt and rice and a bit like the lime has already been added. Very light and hard to discern much else.

Taste is not too shabby. It is very light and crisp, but there are not really any blaring off flavors. Decently balanced and plenty refreshing. As an adjunct lager, this rates fairly high for me. If I was on a beach in Nicaragua, this would do just fine.

3.43/5  rDev +27%

It is a nice pale gold color. There is not much for head and there is just a little more lace. This lace disappears as you move the beer around in the glass. It smells like lager but not as adjunct. It has very light beer. I could taste the malt and the hops. It is not as watered down as a lot of the beers I have tried from Central America. It has fizzy mouthfeel and I thought it was very drinkable.

3.38/5  rDev +25.2%

I won't pretend to recall a whole lot about the appearance or aroma of Toña; I only bothered pouring it into a glass two or three times. It was a pale golden color with barely a rim of head, and a relatively standard American lager aroma. The taste is extremely clean, and more oriented towards malt and corn than rice extract. I'm absolutely shocked at everyone here comparing Toña negatively to American lagers like Bud and Coors; there's just none of the thick rice blechiness of those beers here. If you're tasting cardboard, blame poor storage and transport conditions; there's none of that at all when it's fresh. The body is light and thin, but in a refreshing way; very smooth and clean-tasting - I'm amazed that this is nearly a 5% beer, from the mouthfeel and utter lack of alcohol heat I would've estimated 3%.

But the area where this cerveza really shines is in drinkability. On a recent trip to Granada and San Juan del Sur, we literally drank Toña morning, noon, and night. And later at night. Every single day. And we never got sick of it, never got so much as a gross beer aftertaste. It goes with gallo pinto, it goes with indio viejo, it goes with lobster al ajillo. It's even a nice rum chaser. We really put this beer through its drinkability paces like no other and it succeeded hands down. I'm a little surprised that they bother importing it to the US, but taken in its parched tropical context, it's a sure winner.

I will resist the urge to bump up the score by filing a second review for canned Toña, as I don't think there's a damn bit of difference between the two.

3.35/5  rDev +24.1%

A: Clean macro-yellow with a strong visible carbonation presence. The head is off white with a gloss to it, 2 fingers high it stood dominant for a good length of time. A good amount of lace adheres to the glass walls with a modest full band. Don’t know what people expect visually out of this style, but came off pretty good as can be expected from my stand point.

S: The aroma was faint of dried maize, grainy, and modest in strength. Comes in at average expectations.

T: The flavor was sweet and grainy, fairly clean with no off flavors. A decent grain base for an American adjunct. A bit of maize comes on the swallow. Simple, low hopped and again pretty much what you would expect per style.

M: Would of liked to see a bit more sharpness and crispness here, light on the tongue but comes with a fairly clean exit which is always good.

O: As far as American adjuncts go, setting personal preference aside, this is clean, very easy to consume and would trump any BMC in my book. Will it make you go wow, again no, but did show some flashes of grainy sweetness and cleanness to make it above par. If I was a fan of this style this would be a good candidate for multiples. Very cleanly brewed helps.

3.35/5  rDev +24.1%

Pours clear straw with a white head that does not stick around at all. Nose is pretty uneventful. Mild cereal sweetness. Flavor is the expected slightly metallic, slight cereal influenced boring beer. Feel is full of bubble and the typical liquid feel. Overall this is just another boring beer. Who cares where it is from. It's basically the same thing you've had the world around.

3.33/5  rDev +23.3%

$1.22 / Bottle
Dan's Liquor
Plover, Wisconsin

Appearance - Very clear pour with hint of gold. It has alot of action as the carbonation swirls. The white head is about 1/4 and fades after a minute or two.

Smell - The smell af barley is obvious with this lager. It's not as pungent as I like.

Taste - The taste offers the barley flavor I do like in a good lager. However, as I noted previously I prefer that attribute to be even stronger.

Mouthfeel - The carbonation is really noticeable in the feel. The beer is felt strongest toward the back of the tongue. Not a very smooth beer.

~ This beer reminds me of something my friends and I would slam back in college. I know, I know. I really shouldn't be so critical but that's what this is; a forum for criticism whether it be constructive or otherwise. Let me just say this. I would most certainly drink this beer again. I'd love to take a 12 pack out to the beach, or with me and my friends out on the boat. This is a decent beer.

3.33/5  rDev +23.3%

Presentation: 12oz brown screw top bottle with best by date clearly marked; this is just SLIGHTLY past its date.

Appearance: Light straw colored beer with lively carbonation; a hard pour produces a soft cap which actually sticks around a little bit

Smell: Cereal grains are dominant, but this isn't as sweet as a lot of the American macro versions; this is ultra clean; there's not much of anything here though. Still, I'd say this is above average for the style.

Taste: Cereal malt sweetness up front, but then with a dry, almost toasty malt backing, and an unforeseen fruity quality. Not a lot there, but again, above average for the style in that it doesn't have that overly sweet "corn" flavor going on.

Mouthfeel: Light. Duh

Drinkability: Fairly high

Conclusion: Would I get it again? Probably not. But then again, I hardly ever buy adjunct lagers. This one, it must be said, is better than most. I got this in a mix-a-six, so I have no idea what the price is like.

Toña Cerveza from Industrial Cervecera S.A. / Compañía Cervecera De Nicaragua