Toña Cerveza - Industrial Cervecera S.A. / Compañía Cervecera De Nicaragua

Nicaragua

American Adjunct Lager |  4.60% ABV

Beer added by: Imbiber on 02-16-2004

4.58/5  rDev +70.3%

This is one of the best tasting central American lagers I have tasted. It pours up to make a beautiful white head, and when one pours it straight into a pint glass, the bubbling action releases one of the cleanest smells I have experienced in a brew. The odor of malt combines with subtle adjuncts to provide an interesting smell that invites one to "breathe the beer" as they drink. It has a very even light straw color, the lightness of which belies the bite one gets after having two or three of these. Its drinkability is exceptional. It is, overall, an excellent session beer. Mouthfeel is very nonobtrusive -- once the beer leaves the palate, the mouth is clean, wanting more of this fine brew. Those who would fault it because it is clean, clear, and light just do not get it. This is Nicaraguan cerveza -- people of Aztec descent live in hot climes and have had corn as a staple for centuries. Hence, they have historically made the best beers to refresh and throw off the heat. Heck, if I want ale, I summon the Brits -- that's their specialty -- they get cold and want heavy stuff, and that is fine -- that's their heritage! I'd put this humble beer in the same bracket as Carta Blanca. Drink it ice cold, and you'll never again drink an American macrobrew.

2.57/5  rDev -4.5%

Pours out a very light straw with a fizzy white head that drops to nothing.

Smell. Grainy and sweet…nothing good but nothing really offensive.

Taste. For what it is and trying to be, not bad. Flavor is neutral and light. Certainly on the sweeter side, even can get a little cloying. Aftertaste dries up a little.

Mouthfeel. One the lighter side, and with the higher carbonation, remind me a little of club soda.

Overall, Just another imported macro that leaves you wishing you had something better. It's not horrible, but it's one of those beers I cannot ever imagine buying again...There is nothing in this Nicaraguan beer causing you to seek this out.

2.3/5  rDev -14.5%

Von den Anmerkungen.

12 oz into Lord of the Rings collectors glass that's lit with a red light from the bottom.

A: Golden with white head, good clarity.

S: Malts and a bit of Diacetyl smell.

T: Not so good, like a bad Heineken.

M: Not much there.

D: Once this strange tasting brew settles on your tastes bud it really isn't so bad I had two of them before i decided that I'll never drink another. Not that its really that bad, but there is just so much good stuff out there and so little time.

3.1/5  rDev +15.2%

Very pale colored beer with a very light corn aroma.Taste is pretty much your run of the mill macro lager.The best quality of this beer is it's smoothness it does go down like water.I would buy this again and recommend to my friends.Nothing great but nothing horrible.

The beer leaves the 12 ounce brown bottle a crystal clear golden yellow, the head average and bright white, as it quickly settles, the lace forms a patchy sheet upon the glass. Nose is the prototypical lager, somewhat sweet with a hint of malt; start is light with a modest malt presence. Finish has a benign acidity with a bit of lingering sweetness, also some bitterness in the bone dry aftertaste, not something I like as it’s a bit light for me, but it is refreshing nonetheless.

2.8/5  rDev +4.1%

Poured a pale golden color with moderate white puffy head.
Smellis sweet, but not really a malt sweetness.
Taste is refreshing, but too sweet.
The best thing I can say about this is that it does not taste bad, it just barely has any taste.
Could be a good beer for a hot summer afternoon.

1.65/5  rDev -38.7%

Pours a light yellow, with very little head and almost no head retention. Wow, that's some carbonation if I've ever seen it. Tastes watery, with a little lemon kick. Very little flavor, mostly just carbonation leaving a sickening bubbly feeling in my mouth. Wait a second...I think somebody put a watered down Sprite in my Tona bottle!

Avoid at all costs.

2.35/5  rDev -12.6%

This beer is watery and refreshing, which is probably what I would want too if I lived in Nicaragua (it gets hot there I hear). Nonetheless, its extremely pale color, soda pop head, non-existent aroma, and virtually non-existent flavor did not really move me to give it a glowing review.

3.14/5  rDev +16.7%

My pal Mike brought me a sample of this Nicaraguan beer. I resisted tasting it for a few weeks (I have been suffering from a summer cold).

True to Mike's report, this beer has a somewhat deeper malt profile in the aromas than a typical industrial "world lager." I smell spices and blonde hash too, punctuated with toasted biscuit crust. The color is very pale (practically no head retention).

The balance on the palate leans toward richness and creamy texture, with dull, caramelized lemon fruit before the telltale industrial lager water essences assert themselves on the pleasantly dry finish.

This beer is better than Budweiser. It is a little sweeter than Miller High Life, which itself verges on too sweet for my palate.

Perhaps with some pupusas or empanadas filled with beans and pork...

2.75/5  rDev +2.2%

Sometimes I think that the Cerveza-type beers should have their own style of beer. Althought the style is often problematic, it still displays separate character than it's current style -- American Micro-Lager. This beer fares well compared to most Cervezas, but not so much with even average world Lagers. It opens with a crystal clear, lightly straw appearance, with efforvescence, initially comforting head retention, but lacks staying power. Smells, well, light but of a typical blend of pilsner malts and raw, adjucnt grains. The flavors fare better with a sweetness that sways toward light malt sweetness, but with a blend of corn, and over-sparged astringency. The feel continues with a light bite, but otherwise quite clean. A light coat of unnecessary sweetness persists, but does not deter. Finishes quite clean with a hint of unfermented corn sugars. Not a bad experience with this beer, just one with not much character -- about as good as you can ask for from the style.

Can you smell the revolución?

Someone threw this into my bag when I wasn't looking. I asked if they had any glasses, & when I come back to the counter, the cashier has a sly look on her face.

It pours mimicking ginger-ale, white fizzy head, golden body, strong, soda-like carbonation. The head fades almost as soon as I finish typing.

Smells of oats, dry leaves, fruit roll-ups & Juicy-Juice.

Taste is devoid of anything I just mentioned. Watered down apple juice & a peel of the skin for the slightest hint of bitterness. A little lettuce keeps my tongue dry on the finish.

Hard water from my faucet puts up more resistance going down.

A good alternative to bottled water. :)

1.8/5  rDev -33.1%

Tona Cerveza pours a golden yellow color with a white head from a brown twelve ounce bottle. It smells primarily like adjunct. The taste is fairly harsh, it's all adjunct with no redeeming value. This beer is particularly bad even for a Latin American lager. Avoid.

2.77/5  rDev +3%

Okay, first off, this beer is completely transparent. All it does is color the image opposite the glass yellow. As for the smell, the head smelt skunky, but after it faded (which it did, and quickly), the nose was much more subdued. Taste is that of a light lager but with a more substantial and slightly sweeter finish. Mouthfeel is okay, more tooth than a light lager, but not by much. Carbonation okay. Drinkability is pretty easy, I could see someone knocking back several of these. To close, I quote my mother, who said, "It was weak enough for me to drink!" That is all.

3.08/5  rDev +14.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I got this baby as a special at Alabama Liquors in downtown Indianapolis. At $0.75/bottle, how bad can be it?

Well, it isn't that bad, really. I popped the cap and drank it from the bottle (personally, I think the proper glassware for the American macro-lager style is the bottle it comes in) and I gotta say it tastes nice. Very light, with a pleasant prickly carbonation. It has a very strong fruit-loops taste and smell, which is a pleasant change from the nasty, adjuncty mess I was expecting.

A top tier beer this ain't, but for the style (and the price) I've got no complaints.

2.7/5  rDev +0.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Yellow pilsner pour, evenly dense head.
One of the more difficult styles to review, due to the common subtleties of each.
Sharp corn mealy-grain aroma, light bitter hop aftertaste which matches the aroma is what sets this beer apart from the others. Similar to Pacifico in that they both have a real "beer" flavor.

3.8/5  rDev +41.3%

This was a suprising beer. Sure, the bottle looked "classy", but as you all know, looks aren't everything in the world of beer. Very well balanced malts and hops. I would drink this over most any other American Macro anytime. The smell and taste kind of had a very light smokey vibe going on. Overall a nice beer, especially for the summer.

2.9/5  rDev +7.8%

Drink this cold and from the bottle. The nice silkscreened bottle.
Lime was thrown on top, not a bad additon to a mediocre beer. Looks clear and yellow in a highball glass. Slight foam, nothing substantial. Bready malt aroma.

Tastes mostly of the bready malt hinted at in the aroma. Otherwise it's watery and undiscernable from other macro lagers. This was on special at a bar for $2.50, which I would take over the usual macro crap. Very plain, but drinkable...fairly clean overall. So is water, you'd be better off with that, if you're strictly looking for refreshment without inebriation.

3.31/5  rDev +23%

$1.22 / Bottle
Dan's Liquor
Plover, Wisconsin

Appearance - Very clear pour with hint of gold. It has alot of action as the carbonation swirls. The white head is about 1/4 and fades after a minute or two.

Smell - The smell af barley is obvious with this lager. It's not as pungent as I like.

Taste - The taste offers the barley flavor I do like in a good lager. However, as I noted previously I prefer that attribute to be even stronger.

Mouthfeel - The carbonation is really noticeable in the feel. The beer is felt strongest toward the back of the tongue. Not a very smooth beer.

~ This beer reminds me of something my friends and I would slam back in college. I know, I know. I really shouldn't be so critical but that's what this is; a forum for criticism whether it be constructive or otherwise. Let me just say this. I would most certainly drink this beer again. I'd love to take a 12 pack out to the beach, or with me and my friends out on the boat. This is a decent beer.

I had this beer this weekend at a Nicaraguan restaurant down in the outer mission in San Francisco. Though it is very light in both appearance and taste it paired with the food quite nicely. I would think that if one were in Nicaragua in the summer this light beer would be refreshing and one would be glad not to have something much "heavier." Bit more floral in the nose than comparable Mexican light lagers and enough difference in the taste to enjoy something different.

2.25/5  rDev -16.4%

Toña, a Nicaraguan Lager, pours out a loose head over a clear,
pale yellow brew. The head collapses almost instantly, but the high
carbonation leaves a constant ring of foam in the glass. Not much of
a nose here, just a bit of malt. The flavor is thin thin thin- a suggestion
of barley malt, and a bit of rice as the brew gets warm. The mouthfeel
is also thin- just like water, in fact. I don't know why they would go to
so much trouble- it came in a proper silkscreened brown bottle, with a
proper crown cap, yet all they put in it was a product indistinguishable
from Corona.

2.59/5  rDev -3.7%

2.99 for a six pack

A - Completely clear light yellow color. Head is white and fades very quickly to absolutely nothing. Lacing is about 5 or 6 small round patches.

S - Somewhat like a skunky pilsener but theres a very sweet almost metallic sugary smell.

T - Not as bad as I thought it would be, not as flavorful as it smells though. Faint earthy wheat-stalks and a sugary adjunct.

M - Overly carbonated as you would have thought. Very thin and watery body.

D - Not as bad as I was expecting. I'd probably take this beer over most US macros.

3.3/5  rDev +22.7%

I won't pretend to recall a whole lot about the appearance or aroma of Toña; I only bothered pouring it into a glass two or three times. It was a pale golden color with barely a rim of head, and a relatively standard American lager aroma. The taste is extremely clean, and more oriented towards malt and corn than rice extract. I'm absolutely shocked at everyone here comparing Toña negatively to American lagers like Bud and Coors; there's just none of the thick rice blechiness of those beers here. If you're tasting cardboard, blame poor storage and transport conditions; there's none of that at all when it's fresh. The body is light and thin, but in a refreshing way; very smooth and clean-tasting - I'm amazed that this is nearly a 5% beer, from the mouthfeel and utter lack of alcohol heat I would've estimated 3%.

But the area where this cerveza really shines is in drinkability. On a recent trip to Granada and San Juan del Sur, we literally drank Toña morning, noon, and night. And later at night. Every single day. And we never got sick of it, never got so much as a gross beer aftertaste. It goes with gallo pinto, it goes with indio viejo, it goes with lobster al ajillo. It's even a nice rum chaser. We really put this beer through its drinkability paces like no other and it succeeded hands down. I'm a little surprised that they bother importing it to the US, but taken in its parched tropical context, it's a sure winner.

I will resist the urge to bump up the score by filing a second review for canned Toña, as I don't think there's a damn bit of difference between the two.

2.65/5  rDev -1.5%

Bottle smell is of corn and barley, very sweet. Pours to a very light yellow-gold color. A little bit of head but not much. Taste is very dry. Good carbonation but not really anything there. Mouthfeel is very good but not much substance to this brew. Finish is corny like the start, still sweet and consistent throughout. A very basic beer with no significant qualities. I won't be traveling to Nicaragua to stock up.

1.73/5  rDev -35.7%

Pours very light pale yellow, with a thick soapy white head that leaves moderate lacing.

Aroma is sweet and syrupy. The lightest hint of hops.

Taste is sweet, with an unusual off flavor mustiness. Finish is dominated by the cardboard like mustiness.

Mouthfeel is light and thin.

Even BMC is better than this. The off flavor in the taste is very distracting. Worse than Corona.

1.61/5  rDev -40.1%

Poured a very, very, very light yellow with a light fizzy white head.

Smell is light and sweet with some hints of citrus.

Taste has a strong corn syrup quality, very sweet and corny with a bit of light grassy malts.

Mouthfeel is light and thin.

Pretty standard Macro swill, a little bit cornier and sweeter than the average American version, I can't believe this is worth importing.

Toña Cerveza from Industrial Cervecera S.A. / Compañía Cervecera De Nicaragua