Toña Cerveza - Industrial Cervecera S.A. / Compañía Cervecera De Nicaragua

Nicaragua

American Adjunct Lager |  4.60% ABV

Beer added by: Imbiber on 02-16-2004

3.03/5  rDev +10.6%

Appearance: Pours a clear, yellow body with a thinnish, brief, white head. It's a lager!

Smell: Aroma centered on sweet-scented cereal notes with a faint, faint background hint of floral hops. It's a lager!

Taste: A light taste of simple, basic barley stirred up with an addition of corn-based sweetness. The merest hint of hops and bitterness, but it's not enough to scrub away the sweetness that persists until the smooth finish. It's a lager!

Mouthfeel: Light-bodied. Medium carbonation. It's a lager!

Drinkability: By no means is it terrible -- there are no glaring off flavors or aromas, it's light, it's refreshing, and you may even forget you're in Nicaragua, if only for a few minutes. (697 characters)

2.91/5  rDev +6.2%

One of my Dad's favorite vacation spots is Nicaragua. Last time he went, he brought me a Toña shirt. I happened to be wearing it at the beer store today and saw Toña Beer for the first time. Figured I better try it...

12oz bottle into pint glass

A - Very pale golden yellow. Virtually no head, but plenty of carbonation coming from the bottom

S - A little nutty, a little skunky.

T - The skunky smell was no lie...although it's not terrible. The nuttiness is still there too. Light flavor, really nothing else of note.

M - Very effervescent, a lot of carbonation. A bit of a funky aftertaste.

D - It goes down easy - definitely a hot weather beer. I can definitely see this being better in hot, humid Nicaragua.

Overall, not great. Would I drink it on the beach or in the jungle? Sure. (796 characters)

3.41/5  rDev +24.5%

Pours a very light yellow color with a crackling white head that actually does'nt fade in an instant. Some lacing is evident as well.

Has a pretty typical Latin lager nose on it, sweet malt and rice and a bit like the lime has already been added. Very light and hard to discern much else.

Taste is not too shabby. It is very light and crisp, but there are not really any blaring off flavors. Decently balanced and plenty refreshing. As an adjunct lager, this rates fairly high for me. If I was on a beach in Nicaragua, this would do just fine. (545 characters)

1.64/5  rDev -40.1%

i usually drank this from the bottle, but a couple of times it was poured into a glass. On the occassions that it was poured, it was clear, pale yelllow, the kind of color that scares me in a beer. But it had a decent head, some retention, lots of lacing and very active, continuous carbonation. So it scores highest on appearance despite the color. SMELL is almost non-existent, but partly because this one must be consumed at close to freezing to be drinkable. What smell there is grainy adjuncty. TASTE is not much better, but again is best camoflauged by being icy cold. When it starts to warm even a little, I am reminded why I don´t drink macro lagers (given an option). FEELS pretty thin and watery, because it is. To it´s credit it does finish fairly crisp. Again, it helps if it is very cold. DRINKS like an icy cold drink on a hot day should. But I find it satisfying in such a situation more like a cold glass of water, lemonade or soda would be, not like a beer.

Central America really is a desert waste land so far as beer is concerned. I don´t ordinarily rate (never have) macro lagers, but since this is my only style option, I figured it would be appropriate to let folks know what they are in for before visiting this beautiful country. The other main beer, Victoria, is hardly distinguishable from this one. (1,330 characters)

3.29/5  rDev +20.1%

A friend of mine brought this back to me after a trip to her homeland. Taken from the 12 fl. oz. can marked 080809-1509C1. Sampled on March 14, 2009.

A - The pour is pale yellow with a quick burst of bubbly white head that fizzles in short order. No lacing to speak of.

S - The malts are the leading aroma followed by something a little grainy. It was better than I expected.

T & M - The mouthfeel was not quite watered down but not heavy either. The flavor had a strong sweet malt element to it.

I did not think it was too bad. (534 characters)

2.2/5  rDev -19.7%

Tona, the staple of Nicaragua, and when spending a semester one tends to grow to like the local brew, but it is hard when your choices include mainly CCN cerveza.

Tona has a very light, pale yellow appearance, little to no head and basically no lacing.

The smell consists of what I would call corn and rice, not sure how afficionados would call it

Taste leaves something to be desired, it is like there is a fundamental beer ingredient missing....

The feel is smooth, goes down like the water it is

When the temperatures hover in the 90's almost all the time I think anything cold would be drinkable, and Tona will definitely hit the spot of a refreshing ice cold drink, but I wouldn't put it up with refreshing ice cold beer... (734 characters)

3.02/5  rDev +10.2%

Toña Cerveza
Industrial Cervecera S.A. / Compañía Cervecera De Nicaragua
Style: American Adjunct Lager
ABV: 4.60 %

A 3.0 clear pale star color, noticeable carbonation, mediocre head , short retention
S 3.5 semi sweet aroma, semi skunky notes also
T 3.0 American macro adjunct type taste - clean and thin, some minor caramel notes
MF 3.0 - semi watery, medium carbonation
D 2.5 - not very interesting, I would drink it for free, don't see myself ever buying it. (465 characters)

3.05/5  rDev +11.3%

I got a bottle of this simply because it was from Nicaragua because I was intrigued. It had a very light, unimpressive head. Nothing interesting, either, with the scent.

The taste was actually quite crisp and I would say have more flavor than a Corona or Sol, which is the style of beer this is. Not bad. (306 characters)

1.03/5  rDev -62.4%

A: Appears almost anemic, sickly pale yellow, head quickly dissipated - 1.5, S: Smells like a macro brew, probably some adjuncts - 1.0, T: Ouch, no redeeming qualities of beer and actually some truly undesirable aspects - 1.0, M: Thin - 1.0, O: Easily one of the worst beers I've had since rating beers - 1.0 (308 characters)

2.12/5  rDev -22.6%

12 oz. bottle.

Very pale straw body. Clear and clean. Small, fizzy, off-white head. Nose of honey, cookie dough, creamed corn, and slightly skunky hops. Light honey sweetness, hints of cookie malt, and cardboard start this Latin American lager off. Adjuncty, sweetish, corn-y flavors settle in. Very faint hop bitterness in the finish--mineral water like. Fizzy, soda-like carbonation does not help. Light bodied. Very forgettable, and assuredly not good. (456 characters)

3.4/5  rDev +24.1%

It is a nice pale gold color. There is not much for head and there is just a little more lace. This lace disappears as you move the beer around in the glass. It smells like lager but not as adjunct. It has very light beer. I could taste the malt and the hops. It is not as watered down as a lot of the beers I have tried from Central America. It has fizzy mouthfeel and I thought it was very drinkable. (402 characters)

2.25/5  rDev -17.9%

Poured from a 12 oz glass (the wife bought me a single of something "different" one day to my surprise.

Pours almost clear. Slight golden hue, but lighter than an ultra. White one finger head.

Very faint malt and medicinal smell.

Taste is initially a little crisp, then fades to nothingness.

mouthfeel is thin.

Drinkability is its best quality (like bud light I guess), in that it tastes like water. (404 characters)

2.95/5  rDev +7.7%

Poured from bottle into pint glass.

A: Standard lager coloring, finger of head that quickly dissipated and carbonation apparent.

S: Mild malty and slightly grassy tones.

T & M: Eh, I'm pretty indifferent about this brew. Nothing really negative but nothing positive either. Carbonation is a little too apparent in the mouthfeel.

D: Not bad, but would not seek out again. (375 characters)

2.53/5  rDev -7.7%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Single, twelve-ounce bottle just purchased from Gary's in Madison...
Curious to sample a Nicaraguan beer...
Pours a lucid, clear, light-golden hue with a minimal head that quickly receded and left behind a very minor amount of lacing...
Faint, mild, unassertive aroma...
Corny, grainy, average-at-best Macro taste, nothing really standing out here, just mediocrity...
Loose, watered-down mouthfeel as well...
Nothing special...
Not recommended... (446 characters)

1.96/5  rDev -28.5%

Pours a lght pale golden with a small white film head. Aroma is lightly sweet malt and fruit. Flavor is a bit doughy, saome grain and metallic. Finishes abruptly and metallic. Light bodied, very thin mouthfeel. This one was a mistake, I should have known better. (262 characters)

3.02/5  rDev +10.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Picked this one up on advice from my dad, who's from Nicaragua. Drank it straight from the bottle, ice cold, but I was left wondering where the taste was. I drank this mostly for pride in my heritage, and from what my dad tells me about his country and the daily 100 degree plus heat, it's clear to me why it's so refreshing. It's practically drinking water with a vague hint of hops just before the aftertaste. A little sweet on the way down, yet absolutely drinkable.

I wouldn't recommend this beer to those who are looking for something remarkable. This is simply a beer for refreshment purposes, if you like. Still glad I tried it, though. (644 characters)

2.98/5  rDev +8.8%

12 oz bottle acquired at the Grub Mart in J'ville, AL. Poured into a pint.

A: Yellow and clear, just like a macro style should be.

S: Smells like a watered down macro. You can smell a touch of malt and maybe (maybe) a trace of hops.

T: Tastes actually has a little bit of hops flavor to it. The malt is definitely there and so is the water, but hops are there.

M: It is watery but it has some carbonation to it. Almost so much it fizzes. Kinda fun, if I were gay, but still fun.

D: You know, this is a macro style and they pulled it off. Not going to give it a terrible review because I am reviewing the style, not my personal preference. This isn't a bad macro and if it weren't for the price difference, I would pick this up before any of the big name macros. (766 characters)

3.43/5  rDev +25.2%

Bottle poured into a glass.

A- Meh. Goldish. Light bubbles. Light 1 finger head that disappeared fast. Nothing awesome.

S- Nothing special. Smelled like a watered down somthing.

T- Real easy to drink. No hiccups. Carbonation was good. I dont know this was just easy to drink. Probably one of the lightest beers I have drank. This got some points I guess on drinkablility.

M- Very thin, bubbly to the tongue. It was okay but it wasnt great either.

D- Without a doubt. The only real good thing on this review. I could drink a 12 pack of these. Not a problem. But at $8 a six pack, Ill pass.

Its good to try if its on sale and your going to a BBQ or a get together. Not somthing Id waste another $8 on though.

Meh I say. (730 characters)

2.69/5  rDev -1.8%

I picked up a bottle on a whim on a recent liquor store visit. It poured a very light gold/yellow with a quickly dissipating thin white head.

Smell is unremarkable, a little grainy, but nothing that stands out.

Taste is kind of like Coors light or something of a similar ilk.

I wouldn't purchase this one again. Not a bad drink to quench your thirst on a hot summer day, but mediocre at best. (395 characters)

1.68/5  rDev -38.7%

I poured this out into the glass very pale and exceedingly thin head, taste is grainy and more ,like a Miller Lite than a Dos Equis. Nothing of note in the taste, it goes down without a bit of flavor. As someone who has been to Central America I understand why lighter pale beer is popular down there, it can definitely be as refreshing on a hot day as a soda pop. Still, in terms of being a good beer, this doesn't come anywhere close. (436 characters)

2.7/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

very light tasting. Not much head after pour into glass. This is one beer my wife liked so I know it has a very weak flavor. The flavor dosnt last long in your mouth. After taste fades very fast. Good beer for someone who isnt a big beer drinker.I guess I was expecting more like a Dos Equis or something similar to that.

Over all I would say slighty below an average beer. I just started drinking Cervezas but I have had others with more overall taste and flavor. (466 characters)

2.23/5  rDev -18.6%

Amazingly pale maize with water-like edges. TC is one of the lightest beers I've ever seen. Top-10 at least. The crackling cap is just bright enough to escape being called dingy and isn't sticky enough to leave more than a smattering of lace. It still manages to make it to average.

The aroma doesn't even make it that far. It's incredibly weak and features a mere hint of watery grain and musty hops. If it was stronger, the score would be lower. Things aren't looking so good for the flavor.

This is terrible beer no matter its Latin American country of origin. Again, the only thing keeping it from being full-on offensive is a lack of... well, just about everything. Corona Extra is almost hearty compared to Tona. Scary thought.

The flavor is a carbon copy of the nose. It tastes like the brewers soaked a few handfuls of poor quality barley (including the husk) in a stainless steel drum full of cool tap water, drained the water, lightly bubbled it and then put it into bottles. No thanks.

The mouthfeel is barely acceptable since it's supposed to be light. Actually, it's on the light side of light. The carbonation briefly fizzes on the tongue and is then gone.

Tona Cerveza is crappy beer that has quite a bit in common with Bud Light, if you want to know the truth. If I ever find myself in Nicaragua, I'll stick with bottled water. (1,348 characters)

3.13/5  rDev +14.2%

This stuff is everywhere in Nicaragua and cheap as hell for Americans. I don't have a whole lot to say here because we've all had this type of beer before. It's a yellow macro beer with no head, smell, or hop character, and as such I had to ding it compared to the standard BA fare. On the other hand, when in Nicaragua, it's one of the best things you can drink and we had a great time over several of these. They are very sweet and very drinkable, much like Dos Equis. Most of the places we went it was cheaper than water, so that can only add to the drinkability factor, right? I wouldn't bother looking for this stuff in the states, it's probably expensive, stale, and hard to find. (686 characters)

I picked this up just to try something from somewhere fairly obscure like Nicaragua.

Poured it from a bottle to a pint glass. Gave very little head at all. The color was an orangey amber, with a thin, clear quality.

The smell was not particularly strong. Some hops and malt are apparent. Dissipates quickly.

The taste had a weak malty overtone with an almost bubblegum aftertaste. It finished weak with a sweet aftertaste.

There wasn't much carbonation, so there isn't much to say about the carbonation.

On the whole, not a terrible beer, but it's just overly average. Not much personality. (600 characters)

3.33/5  rDev +21.5%

Pours clear straw with a white head that does not stick around at all. Nose is pretty uneventful. Mild cereal sweetness. Flavor is the expected slightly metallic, slight cereal influenced boring beer. Feel is full of bubble and the typical liquid feel. Overall this is just another boring beer. Who cares where it is from. It's basically the same thing you've had the world around. (381 characters)

Toña Cerveza from Industrial Cervecera S.A. / Compañía Cervecera De Nicaragua