Estes Park Renegade - Estes Park Brewery

to view more.
Ratings: 60 | Reviews: 32
Reviews by marcobrau:
3.83/5  rDev +12%

Hmm. This sample tastes and smells a bit old, but I think I still get the feeling of it. Pours a bit cloudy, with ample carbonation. The off-white head falls quickly but lace is left with each sip. The aroma is a woody, dusty hop aroma that fades quickly. Not that impressive, but this beer is still tasty, with a good mix of peppery and bitter hops balanced with deep caramel malts. A very smooth, luxurious malt backbone enhances the mouthfeel, but a bitter smack of hops reminds me that I'm drinking an IPA.
Quite enjoyable. I would definitely drink this again.

3.5/5  rDev +2.3%

12 oz bottle. Pours a murky tea color (much darker than most IPAs) with lots of suspended sediment. There's not much head - it takes a pretty vigorous pour to coax a thin and bubbly light tan head, that quickly goes to a thin collar which leaves some lacing.

The aroma is piney, fruity hops and caramel. It smells somewhat like Hog Heaven, but a little more subdued. Some dough comes out as it warms.

The flavor is sweet and fruity (slightly sour apple) caramel malts leading to a good sized, lingering bitter hop finish. It is medium bodied and pretty watery.

Overall, a decent IPA. The sourness and watery body bring it down a bit. Still, I think it is one of Estes Park's better offerings. I did like it better on tap at the brewery.

3.33/5  rDev -2.6%

The beer Pours a cloudy, brown-yellow color. Had a great, egg-white head that held extremely well.

The smell is mild with the strongest scent being lemon. It was not nearly as hoppy as I expected.

It is a light-bodied beer with a strong lemon taste. It was much smoother than I expected. The assistant brewer told me they use Cascade hops for the flavor instead of the smell of the beer. In my opinion, I thought the lemon was a little too much.

2.8/5  rDev -18.1%

A very Americanized IPA. Basically straddles the border between and American Pale and an IPA. Amber in color. Citrus on the nose. Hops (Cascade) make thenselves appearent right away. Malt is very subdued, and has an slightly odd, roasted (i.e. off) flavor. But since the malts do not assert themselves here, it doesn't really matter. Definately needs more balance.
This beer is middle of the road. Might be an okay no-brainer session brew. Hopheads will be okay with it. But not a beer to spend any time seeking out.

3.62/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz single, Brennan's on University...my first visit

appearance: pretty sharp bottle i must say...pours a very dark blood red/dark copper color, decent fluffy beige head, frothy lacing

smell: juicy fruit, floral hops, sweet malt profile, a touch of pine, slight bubblegum

taste: somewhat chalky, a very nice sweet malty backbone, and some bubblegum/citrus/pine hop flavors...overall, quite sweet and rather tasty

mouthfeel: full, chalky

drinkability: little above average

3.5/5  rDev +2.3%

As I pour this one it builds up a big pillowy head, almost like a glass of root beer and it holds on well. The color reminds me of Kraft caramels, which we will revisit.

The aroma is citrus and grapefruit rind.

The taste is bitterness all upfront and then a burnt caramel maltiness in the middle, which is a curiosity but not a distraction.

The body is nice and gives it a pleasant mouthfeel.

A good drinkable beer when you come down from Trailridge Road.

3.81/5  rDev +11.4%

Pours amber to copper with a 2 fingers+ tan head. Great head retention & good lacing

Smell: Intense fruittyness & a hint of floral hops

Taste: Big grapefruitty& hints of pine hops up front followed by biscuitty & fruiity notes. Finshes wet & grapefruitty with a slight hint of pepper

MF: Medium bodied with pretty near perfect carbonation, balance skews a little to grapefruit hoppy for me

Drinks pretty easy, but a touch too grapefruitty to session on. Hop heads may see 180 out of phase with my assesment

3.04/5  rDev -11.1%

Dark coppery-bronze with some gold-brown as well, this is a very dark IPA. I like it! Soft beige head, at the apex the foam was a half-finger in height. Admirable head retention, it slowly faded to a thin, soapy cap. It is still looking good. The subsequent lacing was widespread and well organized; the residue was a bit droopy/webby but present nevertheless. A small cap lasted the entire consumption. All in all, this beer looks great.

The nose is hot with prickly citrus and piney vibes. Alcoholic too. There is some thin maltiness with a caramel trace. There isn’t much depth; that is a shame. It doesn’t smell much like an IPA to me, it is more like an American Strong Ale sans the malty goodness. Without a doubt this beer smells hoppy but I also worry it will be boozy and lacking in malt. The nose is inviting nevertheless. I remember it smelling better at the brewery…

The palate is good. I sampled this at the brewery and I liked it much better on-tap. I didn’t take any notes so this review is just based on this bottle. Warm upfront and in the middle and, well, the finish too. At least the nose didn’t lie. I wish it did. I like heat and the burn as much as the next but the lack of pure, angry bitterness doesn’t allow the burn to be balanced with a numb tongue. Thin maltiness and once again, the nose didn’t lie. Light toasted caramel notes and not much else. It is lightly fruity with a random kiss of flower here and there. There is flavor but I can’t help but call this beer dull. I also don’t think it is that good of an IPA. It is a hoppy ale of some sort. It was much better on-tap. I assume my bottle is fresh; I purchased it at the brewery.

Medium-light in body with low carbonation, there isn’t much to write home about regarding the mouthfeel. It is thin and lifeless. I guess I found something to write.

At best this is a BBQ beer. It is not tasty enough to be consumed standalone. I am disappointed; I remember a much better beer. Oh well. Drinkable? Sure. But do I really want to drink it again? No. There are much better beers on the market. I purchased this sample as part of a mix six-pack purchased at the brewpub in Estes Park, CO.

3.21/5  rDev -6.1%

Beer pours a deep amber color with very little carbonation. Some yeast or trub at the bottom of the bottle. Not sure if it was meant to be bottle conditioned or not.

Pine aroma, and a little bit of citrus, aroma of the beer is very enjoyable.

Well balanced, toast and caramel to start with a bitter finish.

Low carbonation really hurts this beer .

Well balanced, good aroma, little too caramelly, but the poor carbonation really subtracts from the beer.

3.75/5  rDev +9.6%

This IPA was very American, I wondered if they dry-hopped cascades. The beer was extremely grapefruity from smell to finish, so much so, that I was convinced I'd gotten my RDA of Vitamin C.

The beer looked nice, ambery-yellow and slightly cloudy with a nice lacy head that lasted.

I too felt the beer could be maltier and more complex though, nevertheless a refreashing beer.

2.24/5  rDev -34.5%

Poured out of bottle into pint glass. Color of maple syrup, no head outside of a few bubbles on the top. Smells nice and hoppy though. Tastes of bitter hops. Grassy. A little too grassy. Not enough zest or carbonation. Not lively enough. Wouldn't buy again.

3.98/5  rDev +16.4%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle to a dark amber color that almost looked brown at first. Had a lingering off-white head and very good lacing thru the entire glass. Although this did not have the usual IPA appearance, the aroma was floral and grapefruit/citrus. Flavor was more citrus, and the finish was smooth, slightly bitter, and very hoppy. I had this IPA while sitting in a hot-tub after a day of rafting down the Royal Gorge. A most enjoyable beer.

3.22/5  rDev -5.8%

A - Poured out a clear, amber color with a very small, bubbly, white head. It left almost no lacing.

S - It smelled very floral with citrus notes and a touch of maltiness.

T - It tasted of pine and a maltiness I expect in an English ale. It seemed a little unbalanced.

M - It was crisp, sharp and smooth. A medium bodied ale with a dry finish.

O - It was okay, but not what I expect/want in an American IPA.

3.83/5  rDev +12%

Brought a bottle of this home from the Estes Park Brewery. Poured cold from a 12 oz. bottle with no freshness date. Poured a cloudy reddish-brown, with a medium off-white head that lingered. Very heavy hops in the aroma (as expected). Mostly bitter notes in there, although with hints of floral. Taste begins with a sweet nuttiness on the front of the tongue, then a heavy bitterness of hops blooms on the center. Very strong, but even, flavor - it really seems to travel in the taste. The flavor is rounded out with the nutty quality. Fairly smooth mouthfeel; low carbonation. Very drinkable beer. The hops offer a lot to taste - although strong, they have character. That makes the beer nice and refreshing. Definitely recommended, especially for IPA fans.

2.96/5  rDev -13.5%

This beer has a very strange appearance for an ipa. It's dark brown with big white chunks floating around in it. The aroma is cascade hops and vanilla. Caramel malt flavor is dominated by the cascade hops. Woody in the finish. Quite bitter. The mouthfeel is medium. Not terrible, but there are so many better examples of the style out there, I wouldn't waste time with this one.

12 oz bottle into a tulip. Party mud brown with crimson highlighting while backlit. Floaties are evident when gently swirled, though it's a challenge to find your way through the muddy shat water.

Smells of chocolate malt, rye bread, and cookie dough sweetness. The hops appear to be asleep at the wheel.

Chocolate, malt, and a vegetative smack upside the head with a firm aftertaste of onion.

Lacking in carbonation, appearance, taste, mouthfeel, and overall. Unfortunately, this is a mess of an IPA.

3.42/5  rDev 0%

pours a hazy reddish brown with a thin off-white head. smell is a light earthy aroma. taste begins with some toffee, followed by some rye, finishing with an herbal, piney light citrus finish. mouthfeel is smooth, low carbonation. drinkability is good. overall a decent ipa.

3.53/5  rDev +3.2%

Ok, so this has a flashy star (eh, no lights) on the front label that says 1993 GABF gold medal winner. That's great. Yet it was 16 years ago. Perhaps stick it on the back label or something.

Anywho, a murky golden pour, slightly amber. A medium head, off white. Thin looking. Good swirl brings it back, but just doesn't have the body I'd like to see.
Average aroma. Some malt, some hops. A bit musky and citrus. I'm thinking this taste won't be all that good....but,
It's not bad, really. This is a good IPA. Traditional, I'd say...like I know what that means. But it's not overbearing, and the malt gives it a good backbone. Makes it a smooth IPA. No real bite to it, but a lingering dryness is pleasant.
I drank 3 of these without knowing it. That's a 5 for me.

3.92/5  rDev +14.6%

Pours a clear dark orange with less than a finger of barely off-white head that dissolves fairly fast at first, but then leaves a pen line of film over the top for the remander of the experience. A ton of lacing left all over the glass. Smells of pine and citrus grapefruit in the nose. Mouthfeel is a little light as well as the carbination level. The ligher mouthfeel and carb level makes this one heck of an easy one to drink. The taste upfront and finish is of course hop bitterness but there is also a minor malty sweetness in there as well. The bitterness in the finish is more of a mild oil-like finish as opposed to some others that really layer the inside of the mouth. A nice example of the style, but considering the bold advertisement of a gold winner in the IPA category, I was expecting to be totally blown away by this.

3.03/5  rDev -11.4%

Okay, I decided to give this one a try since my best supplier had it out. The beer had a amber/deep red color to it and a small light tan head that didn't hold. The small was of hops and the first taste definately smacked of hops, making it a bit tangy. A slight citrus flavor becomes apparent after that. It strikes me as being a little light for an IPA. Would have to agree with the other guy that it falls between and IPA and a Pale Ale. There are better IPAs out there.

3.41/5  rDev -0.3%

Pours a semi-clear carmel with a nice tan head. Good lace.

The malt and hops mingle in the nose with a nice balance. However, there is not enough of it.

The taste is balanced with roasted malt and fruity hops.

This is a mid bodied beer that has an assertive hop finish. The hops linger in the mouth.

This is a decent beer that is drinkable but not awesome.

3.39/5  rDev -0.9%

Pours with quite a bit of yeasty sediment. Completely cloudy and a rather dark color, for an IPA. Be careful to pour gently if you don't like such a thing. Looks like dark apple cider with whitish floaties. I personally don't mind, but it was unexpected. As it settles in the glass, there's a substantial layer of whitish yeast settled at the bottom, like a really old unfiltered barleywine. I don't mind cloudiness, but this is a bit off-putting. Like a brown snow globe. A thin collar of head sticks around, leaving some spotty foam clinging to the glass, but not much.

Hops are foremost in the aroma. Earthy and pungent, with a wee bit of chocolate to the malt. Some fruit esters, coming off like juicyfruit gum. Definitely some dough character from the yeast. I like the hop aroma. It reminds me of a good homebrew.

The flavor opens with sweet caramel malt and a good bit of estery fruit. Doughy yeast and pear, full bodied, moving easily into earthy, piney hop bitterness. Hop forward, but well balanced. Certainly not a west coast IPA. The darker malt flavor and woodsy hops give this one a definite east coast feel.

This beer seems more like a well made homebrew than a professional production beer. Maybe it's the 1/8 inch of sediment sitting at the bottom of each bottle, the flavor, or a combination of the two. Either way, it's pretty enjoyable and reminiscent of an east coast IPA. I just wish I could bring myself to drink the last couple cloudy sips.

2.03/5  rDev -40.6%

I thought it odd when I noted that this beer was still advertising a GABF win from 1993 (maybe time for a packaging update?), but it did make me curious (and wary that it hadn't won anything more recently) enough to pick up a single at Liquor Mart in Boulder.

It poured a dark amber with a head that seemed to settle upwards much like a Guinness. Aroma was decent...lightly fruity but hardly overpowering. Taste was rather average. Than I noticed a large number of floaties in my beer. This really bothered me - IPAs shouldn't have floaties! This beer wasn't aged, stored in a barrel, or secondary fermented, thus my opinion that floaties are not acceptable. I tried to let them settle-out, but they remained suspended in the liquid. I had a really hard time getting past this, and started to negatively effect my perceptions of this beers taste and mouthfeel, making me believe it was stale, cardboard-y, and weirdly slick.

I'm not a fan. This bottle had no date nor code on it, so I'm left to assume it was brewery-fresh (delivered to Liquor Mart minutes before my arrival) and rate it as such.

3.33/5  rDev -2.6%

Pours brown and very hazy into the glass, yeasty sediment and particles float randomly even after a careful pour. Small half finger white head with decent retention and attractive lacing. I do appreciate a bit of haze but this is too much, a sewage colored snowglobe to be honest. Lacing here is a saving grace.

Ugly beer but this smells pretty great, a little light but noticable tropical fruit, grapefruit strongest on the nose and not far behind are mango and pineapple. Malty backbone gives some added sweetness and life to the fruits.

Hop favors are noticeable, citrus and grapefruit tartness and bite on the palate but the sediment and yeast make this whole drink feel awfully raw and earthy. The sediment dampens the flavors replacing it with soil and weeds. The dark malts add no sweetness and the drink end incredibly bitter. Bitterness is sharp and drying and lingers on more than any IPA I've tasted. I was hoping the yeast and sediment would not have as big as an impact as it did, washed out most of the hop flavors quickly.

Medium body, slightly heavier due to the particles with adequate carbonation. Goes down smooth with considerable bitterness that not only lingers for a long spell but also is present early in the drink.

Not sure how this beer was produced but a little filtration wouldn't hurt here. Brilliant aroma and bitterness but most of the flavor was drowned out by the amount of noise caused by the yeast and particles. Memorable in both good and bad ways.

3.71/5  rDev +8.5%

Picked up this bottle because it won some gold medal or another. Into my glass the beer poured out a slightly hazy copper color with a tan head two fingers thick. Great retention as a thin cap and nice lacing. The aroma was very hoppy, grapefruit and orange zest with a tiny amount of malt behind that. The flavors started with a flash of caramel malt followed immediately by the citrus and floral hops .Hints of pine in there too. Grapefruit dominated and didn't leave much room for anything else going all the way to the finish. The body was medium and the carbonation perfect. A very easy drinking beer but it also struck me as rather one dimensional.

to view more.