Estes Park Renegade - Estes Park Brewery

Estes Park RenegadeEstes Park Renegade

Estes Park Brewery visit their website
Colorado, United States

(Beer added by: Mitchster on 02-27-2002)
Reviews by marcobrau:
marcobrau

3.88/5  rDev +14.5%

Hmm. This sample tastes and smells a bit old, but I think I still get the feeling of it. Pours a bit cloudy, with ample carbonation. The off-white head falls quickly but lace is left with each sip. The aroma is a woody, dusty hop aroma that fades quickly. Not that impressive, but this beer is still tasty, with a good mix of peppery and bitter hops balanced with deep caramel malts. A very smooth, luxurious malt backbone enhances the mouthfeel, but a bitter smack of hops reminds me that I'm drinking an IPA.
Quite enjoyable. I would definitely drink this again.

08-29-2011 02:53:05 | More by marcobrau
Beaver13

Colorado

3.48/5  rDev +2.7%

12 oz bottle. Pours a murky tea color (much darker than most IPAs) with lots of suspended sediment. There's not much head - it takes a pretty vigorous pour to coax a thin and bubbly light tan head, that quickly goes to a thin collar which leaves some lacing.

The aroma is piney, fruity hops and caramel. It smells somewhat like Hog Heaven, but a little more subdued. Some dough comes out as it warms.

The flavor is sweet and fruity (slightly sour apple) caramel malts leading to a good sized, lingering bitter hop finish. It is medium bodied and pretty watery.

Overall, a decent IPA. The sourness and watery body bring it down a bit. Still, I think it is one of Estes Park's better offerings. I did like it better on tap at the brewery.

10-21-2005 05:21:07 | More by Beaver13
nem2006

3.3/5  rDev -2.7%

The beer Pours a cloudy, brown-yellow color. Had a great, egg-white head that held extremely well.

The smell is mild with the strongest scent being lemon. It was not nearly as hoppy as I expected.

It is a light-bodied beer with a strong lemon taste. It was much smoother than I expected. The assistant brewer told me they use Cascade hops for the flavor instead of the smell of the beer. In my opinion, I thought the lemon was a little too much.

09-02-2008 13:34:00 | More by nem2006
richkrull

4.5/5  rDev +32.7%

12-08-2013 19:14:29 | More by richkrull
cokes

2.78/5  rDev -18%

A very Americanized IPA. Basically straddles the border between and American Pale and an IPA. Amber in color. Citrus on the nose. Hops (Cascade) make thenselves appearent right away. Malt is very subdued, and has an slightly odd, roasted (i.e. off) flavor. But since the malts do not assert themselves here, it doesn't really matter. Definately needs more balance.
This beer is middle of the road. Might be an okay no-brainer session brew. Hopheads will be okay with it. But not a beer to spend any time seeking out.

02-27-2002 18:03:02 | More by cokes
dirtylou

Washington

3.6/5  rDev +6.2%

12oz single, Brennan's on University...my first visit

appearance: pretty sharp bottle i must say...pours a very dark blood red/dark copper color, decent fluffy beige head, frothy lacing

smell: juicy fruit, floral hops, sweet malt profile, a touch of pine, slight bubblegum

taste: somewhat chalky, a very nice sweet malty backbone, and some bubblegum/citrus/pine hop flavors...overall, quite sweet and rather tasty

mouthfeel: full, chalky

drinkability: little above average

12-15-2005 05:07:44 | More by dirtylou
ihscout426

3.5/5  rDev +3.2%

As I pour this one it builds up a big pillowy head, almost like a glass of root beer and it holds on well. The color reminds me of Kraft caramels, which we will revisit.

The aroma is citrus and grapefruit rind.

The taste is bitterness all upfront and then a burnt caramel maltiness in the middle, which is a curiosity but not a distraction.

The body is nice and gives it a pleasant mouthfeel.

A good drinkable beer when you come down from Trailridge Road.

06-02-2008 22:24:10 | More by ihscout426
russpowell

Oklahoma

3.78/5  rDev +11.5%

Pours amber to copper with a 2 fingers+ tan head. Great head retention & good lacing

Smell: Intense fruittyness & a hint of floral hops

Taste: Big grapefruitty& hints of pine hops up front followed by biscuitty & fruiity notes. Finshes wet & grapefruitty with a slight hint of pepper

MF: Medium bodied with pretty near perfect carbonation, balance skews a little to grapefruit hoppy for me

Drinks pretty easy, but a touch too grapefruitty to session on. Hop heads may see 180 out of phase with my assesment

08-09-2006 03:04:06 | More by russpowell
bditty187

Nebraska

3.03/5  rDev -10.6%

Dark coppery-bronze with some gold-brown as well, this is a very dark IPA. I like it! Soft beige head, at the apex the foam was a half-finger in height. Admirable head retention, it slowly faded to a thin, soapy cap. It is still looking good. The subsequent lacing was widespread and well organized; the residue was a bit droopy/webby but present nevertheless. A small cap lasted the entire consumption. All in all, this beer looks great.

The nose is hot with prickly citrus and piney vibes. Alcoholic too. There is some thin maltiness with a caramel trace. There isn’t much depth; that is a shame. It doesn’t smell much like an IPA to me, it is more like an American Strong Ale sans the malty goodness. Without a doubt this beer smells hoppy but I also worry it will be boozy and lacking in malt. The nose is inviting nevertheless. I remember it smelling better at the brewery…

The palate is good. I sampled this at the brewery and I liked it much better on-tap. I didn’t take any notes so this review is just based on this bottle. Warm upfront and in the middle and, well, the finish too. At least the nose didn’t lie. I wish it did. I like heat and the burn as much as the next but the lack of pure, angry bitterness doesn’t allow the burn to be balanced with a numb tongue. Thin maltiness and once again, the nose didn’t lie. Light toasted caramel notes and not much else. It is lightly fruity with a random kiss of flower here and there. There is flavor but I can’t help but call this beer dull. I also don’t think it is that good of an IPA. It is a hoppy ale of some sort. It was much better on-tap. I assume my bottle is fresh; I purchased it at the brewery.

Medium-light in body with low carbonation, there isn’t much to write home about regarding the mouthfeel. It is thin and lifeless. I guess I found something to write.

At best this is a BBQ beer. It is not tasty enough to be consumed standalone. I am disappointed; I remember a much better beer. Oh well. Drinkable? Sure. But do I really want to drink it again? No. There are much better beers on the market. I purchased this sample as part of a mix six-pack purchased at the brewpub in Estes Park, CO.

10-06-2005 15:09:03 | More by bditty187

07-25-2012 22:11:38 | More by nitter
LeeryLeprechaun

Colorado

3.23/5  rDev -4.7%

Beer pours a deep amber color with very little carbonation. Some yeast or trub at the bottom of the bottle. Not sure if it was meant to be bottle conditioned or not.

Pine aroma, and a little bit of citrus, aroma of the beer is very enjoyable.

Well balanced, toast and caramel to start with a bitter finish.

Low carbonation really hurts this beer .

Well balanced, good aroma, little too caramelly, but the poor carbonation really subtracts from the beer.

05-25-2014 23:25:11 | More by LeeryLeprechaun
ilikebeer03

11-13-2012 05:36:36 | More by ilikebeer03
Reneejane

3.73/5  rDev +10%

This IPA was very American, I wondered if they dry-hopped cascades. The beer was extremely grapefruity from smell to finish, so much so, that I was convinced I'd gotten my RDA of Vitamin C.

The beer looked nice, ambery-yellow and slightly cloudy with a nice lacy head that lasted.

I too felt the beer could be maltier and more complex though, nevertheless a refreashing beer.

01-16-2004 21:30:25 | More by Reneejane

Kevin79

03-24-2013 01:27:02 | More by Kevin79
jar2574

2.2/5  rDev -35.1%

Poured out of bottle into pint glass. Color of maple syrup, no head outside of a few bubbles on the top. Smells nice and hoppy though. Tastes of bitter hops. Grassy. A little too grassy. Not enough zest or carbonation. Not lively enough. Wouldn't buy again.

08-15-2010 20:37:39 | More by jar2574
ROGUE16

Delaware

12-05-2011 13:06:29 | More by ROGUE16
kimcgolf

Georgia

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle to a dark amber color that almost looked brown at first. Had a lingering off-white head and very good lacing thru the entire glass. Although this did not have the usual IPA appearance, the aroma was floral and grapefruit/citrus. Flavor was more citrus, and the finish was smooth, slightly bitter, and very hoppy. I had this IPA while sitting in a hot-tub after a day of rafting down the Royal Gorge. A most enjoyable beer.

07-28-2006 01:46:55 | More by kimcgolf

3.75/5  rDev +10.6%

01-09-2014 14:57:25 | More by vermilcj
zeff80

3.2/5  rDev -5.6%

A - Poured out a clear, amber color with a very small, bubbly, white head. It left almost no lacing.

S - It smelled very floral with citrus notes and a touch of maltiness.

T - It tasted of pine and a maltiness I expect in an English ale. It seemed a little unbalanced.

M - It was crisp, sharp and smooth. A medium bodied ale with a dry finish.

O - It was okay, but not what I expect/want in an American IPA.

06-29-2011 01:27:54 | More by zeff80