Estes Park Renegade - Estes Park Brewery

Estes Park RenegadeEstes Park Renegade

Estes Park Brewery visit their website
Colorado, United States

(Beer added by: Mitchster on 02-27-2002)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
BuckeyeNation

Iowa

3.73/5  rDev +10%

Turbid, dark orange-caramel. This is one of the most turbid, darkest IPAs that I've ever seen. Even the highlights at the bottom of the glass are smoky. Despite a high-altitude pour, I was able to fit the entire bottle into a pint glass thanks to a lack of liveliness on the part of the head. The dense, creamy disk is orange-tinted beige in color and is exceedingly stubborn.

The nose is exactly what I expected given the hop bill of Chinook and Cascade. It smells like spicy, caramel-coated chunks of grapefruit peel. Even though I want more power, I definitely like what it delivers.

The flavor profile doesn't 'wow' me as I'd hoped it would. It tastes like much more Chinook were used than Cascade. That would be fine except for the abundant spiciness. I'm even picking up hints of chocolate malt. Any bright citrusiness that might have been present has been dulled beyond recognition.

Renegade is a significantly bitter beer. The reason, I think, is that there isn't enough malt and there's a boatload of raw, resinous Chinook. The flavor also reminds me of strong, bitter tea. It's a little too uncivilized for its own good, but I appreciate a little anti-social behavior in my IPAs now and then. Would calling this beer a less well-crafted, baby Arrogant Bastard Ale be out of line?

I'm still waiting for the mouthfeel to fill out since the flavor needs a much sturdier vehicle than it has been given. It's a fraction shy of medium when it needs to be half again as big in order to let those hops settle in and get comfortable. The amount of carbonation is on the low side, but then that's how I'd have drawn it up too.

Note to Estes Park Brewery: a gold medal from 1993 isn't impressive in the 'what have you done for me lately?' environment of American craft beer. I still have to give them credit for brewing a no-holds-barred, Chinook-intensive beer that can't possibly have mass appeal. Thanks to BlueMooner for the fast disappearing bottle.

10-20-2005 22:48:44 | More by BuckeyeNation
ChainGangGuy

Georgia

3.55/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Pours a slightly hazy copper body with a white head.

Smell: Hop-forward aroma of citrus, grapefruit. Small measure of caramel hiding in the background.

Taste: Brief caramel malt sweetness before the juicy ruby red grapefruit takes over and carries through into the bitter finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied. Mild carbonation.

Drinkability: So yeah, while it's not on the cutting edge of IPAs, it is decent.

08-31-2007 22:51:57 | More by ChainGangGuy
jaydoc

Kansas

11-16-2013 04:26:25 | More by jaydoc
zeff80

Missouri

3.2/5  rDev -5.6%

A - Poured out a clear, amber color with a very small, bubbly, white head. It left almost no lacing.

S - It smelled very floral with citrus notes and a touch of maltiness.

T - It tasted of pine and a maltiness I expect in an English ale. It seemed a little unbalanced.

M - It was crisp, sharp and smooth. A medium bodied ale with a dry finish.

O - It was okay, but not what I expect/want in an American IPA.

06-29-2011 01:27:54 | More by zeff80
russpowell

Oklahoma

3.78/5  rDev +11.5%

Pours amber to copper with a 2 fingers+ tan head. Great head retention & good lacing

Smell: Intense fruittyness & a hint of floral hops

Taste: Big grapefruitty& hints of pine hops up front followed by biscuitty & fruiity notes. Finshes wet & grapefruitty with a slight hint of pepper

MF: Medium bodied with pretty near perfect carbonation, balance skews a little to grapefruit hoppy for me

Drinks pretty easy, but a touch too grapefruitty to session on. Hop heads may see 180 out of phase with my assesment

08-09-2006 03:04:06 | More by russpowell
GClarkage

07-03-2014 04:59:16 | More by GClarkage
stakem

3.93/5  rDev +15.9%

Pours a clear dark orange with less than a finger of barely off-white head that dissolves fairly fast at first, but then leaves a pen line of film over the top for the remander of the experience. A ton of lacing left all over the glass. Smells of pine and citrus grapefruit in the nose. Mouthfeel is a little light as well as the carbination level. The ligher mouthfeel and carb level makes this one heck of an easy one to drink. The taste upfront and finish is of course hop bitterness but there is also a minor malty sweetness in there as well. The bitterness in the finish is more of a mild oil-like finish as opposed to some others that really layer the inside of the mouth. A nice example of the style, but considering the bold advertisement of a gold winner in the IPA category, I was expecting to be totally blown away by this.

08-17-2009 19:36:45 | More by stakem
Mebuzzard

3.53/5  rDev +4.1%

Ok, so this has a flashy star (eh, no lights) on the front label that says 1993 GABF gold medal winner. That's great. Yet it was 16 years ago. Perhaps stick it on the back label or something.

Anywho, a murky golden pour, slightly amber. A medium head, off white. Thin looking. Good swirl brings it back, but just doesn't have the body I'd like to see.
Average aroma. Some malt, some hops. A bit musky and citrus. I'm thinking this taste won't be all that good....but,
It's not bad, really. This is a good IPA. Traditional, I'd say...like I know what that means. But it's not overbearing, and the malt gives it a good backbone. Makes it a smooth IPA. No real bite to it, but a lingering dryness is pleasant.
I drank 3 of these without knowing it. That's a 5 for me.

05-21-2009 09:15:41 | More by Mebuzzard
dirtylou

Washington

3.6/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz single, Brennan's on University...my first visit

appearance: pretty sharp bottle i must say...pours a very dark blood red/dark copper color, decent fluffy beige head, frothy lacing

smell: juicy fruit, floral hops, sweet malt profile, a touch of pine, slight bubblegum

taste: somewhat chalky, a very nice sweet malty backbone, and some bubblegum/citrus/pine hop flavors...overall, quite sweet and rather tasty

mouthfeel: full, chalky

drinkability: little above average

12-15-2005 05:07:44 | More by dirtylou
ROGUE16

Delaware

12-05-2011 13:06:29 | More by ROGUE16
cokes

Wisconsin

2.78/5  rDev -18%

A very Americanized IPA. Basically straddles the border between and American Pale and an IPA. Amber in color. Citrus on the nose. Hops (Cascade) make thenselves appearent right away. Malt is very subdued, and has an slightly odd, roasted (i.e. off) flavor. But since the malts do not assert themselves here, it doesn't really matter. Definately needs more balance.
This beer is middle of the road. Might be an okay no-brainer session brew. Hopheads will be okay with it. But not a beer to spend any time seeking out.

02-27-2002 18:03:02 | More by cokes
alexgash

Connecticut

3.5/5  rDev +3.2%

Copper bronze body with a ringing of light, faded khaki head. English toffee malt on the nose. Scotch tape and pine needle hop kiss. Accent is on the sweet malt. Sugary, toffeeish malt flavors up front. Resin hop backing burns and turns toward pine and bitter. Some stewed fruit helps out in the finish. Medium, creamy body. Not a bad example of a standard American IPA. Quaffable and I like the coyote on the label.

08-04-2006 01:43:25 | More by alexgash
Mitchster

3.03/5  rDev -10.6%

Pours out to a clear dark caramel, requiring a very hefty pour to achieve a head. The head is beige, small and soapy and quickly recedes to a small scum of bubbles at the edges of the glass with no lacing. Carbonation is mild. Aroma is very nice with a fresh and very fruity hop presence with some degree of citrus and load of vanilla...I've detected his vanilla in their Red Ale as well and wonder if it's the hops or the yeast they are using. There is a strong malt backbone in the aroma with a very nice sweet caramel presence, like chewy caramel candies. Mouthfeel is citric and astringent from both hops and roasted barley, with a medium body. Taste begins with pungent citric and resinous hops, followed by chalk, lightly roasted distant coffee, a very woody and dry finish, and lingering hop aftertaste. The bitterness is moderate, and remains pungent through the finish. Very, very woody and dry...there is more than hop astringency going on here and it curtails it's drinkability. Cleanly fermented with no appreciable off-flavors or preceptable alcohol.

This really smells nice, and starts out with a nice hop flavor, but the woody hop bitterness and barley husk astringency is too much in the finish and ruins it's enjoyment. I would pass on this...towards the bottom of the glass, it starts to taste like campfire ash and cocoa powder.

11-11-2004 16:39:52 | More by Mitchster
Crosling

2.38/5  rDev -29.8%

Dark orange. Perfect appearence for an IPA, with a strong, full foaming head that lasts. Dulled pine and resin hop aroma with no malt. Sweet, sugary, juicy malts, with excessive bitterness and once again, dulled hop flavors. Really poor finish as well. Light & watery texture.

03-21-2006 03:43:02 | More by Crosling
bditty187

Nebraska

3.03/5  rDev -10.6%

Dark coppery-bronze with some gold-brown as well, this is a very dark IPA. I like it! Soft beige head, at the apex the foam was a half-finger in height. Admirable head retention, it slowly faded to a thin, soapy cap. It is still looking good. The subsequent lacing was widespread and well organized; the residue was a bit droopy/webby but present nevertheless. A small cap lasted the entire consumption. All in all, this beer looks great.

The nose is hot with prickly citrus and piney vibes. Alcoholic too. There is some thin maltiness with a caramel trace. There isn’t much depth; that is a shame. It doesn’t smell much like an IPA to me, it is more like an American Strong Ale sans the malty goodness. Without a doubt this beer smells hoppy but I also worry it will be boozy and lacking in malt. The nose is inviting nevertheless. I remember it smelling better at the brewery…

The palate is good. I sampled this at the brewery and I liked it much better on-tap. I didn’t take any notes so this review is just based on this bottle. Warm upfront and in the middle and, well, the finish too. At least the nose didn’t lie. I wish it did. I like heat and the burn as much as the next but the lack of pure, angry bitterness doesn’t allow the burn to be balanced with a numb tongue. Thin maltiness and once again, the nose didn’t lie. Light toasted caramel notes and not much else. It is lightly fruity with a random kiss of flower here and there. There is flavor but I can’t help but call this beer dull. I also don’t think it is that good of an IPA. It is a hoppy ale of some sort. It was much better on-tap. I assume my bottle is fresh; I purchased it at the brewery.

Medium-light in body with low carbonation, there isn’t much to write home about regarding the mouthfeel. It is thin and lifeless. I guess I found something to write.

At best this is a BBQ beer. It is not tasty enough to be consumed standalone. I am disappointed; I remember a much better beer. Oh well. Drinkable? Sure. But do I really want to drink it again? No. There are much better beers on the market. I purchased this sample as part of a mix six-pack purchased at the brewpub in Estes Park, CO.

10-06-2005 15:09:03 | More by bditty187
thekevlarkid

Maryland

3.7/5  rDev +9.1%

Picked up this bottle because it won some gold medal or another. Into my glass the beer poured out a slightly hazy copper color with a tan head two fingers thick. Great retention as a thin cap and nice lacing. The aroma was very hoppy, grapefruit and orange zest with a tiny amount of malt behind that. The flavors started with a flash of caramel malt followed immediately by the citrus and floral hops .Hints of pine in there too. Grapefruit dominated and didn't leave much room for anything else going all the way to the finish. The body was medium and the carbonation perfect. A very easy drinking beer but it also struck me as rather one dimensional.

12-02-2008 01:14:20 | More by thekevlarkid
Beaver13

3.48/5  rDev +2.7%

12 oz bottle. Pours a murky tea color (much darker than most IPAs) with lots of suspended sediment. There's not much head - it takes a pretty vigorous pour to coax a thin and bubbly light tan head, that quickly goes to a thin collar which leaves some lacing.

The aroma is piney, fruity hops and caramel. It smells somewhat like Hog Heaven, but a little more subdued. Some dough comes out as it warms.

The flavor is sweet and fruity (slightly sour apple) caramel malts leading to a good sized, lingering bitter hop finish. It is medium bodied and pretty watery.

Overall, a decent IPA. The sourness and watery body bring it down a bit. Still, I think it is one of Estes Park's better offerings. I did like it better on tap at the brewery.

10-21-2005 05:21:07 | More by Beaver13

4.5/5  rDev +32.7%

12-08-2013 19:14:29 | More by richkrull
UnionMade

3.4/5  rDev +0.3%

Pours with quite a bit of yeasty sediment. Completely cloudy and a rather dark color, for an IPA. Be careful to pour gently if you don't like such a thing. Looks like dark apple cider with whitish floaties. I personally don't mind, but it was unexpected. As it settles in the glass, there's a substantial layer of whitish yeast settled at the bottom, like a really old unfiltered barleywine. I don't mind cloudiness, but this is a bit off-putting. Like a brown snow globe. A thin collar of head sticks around, leaving some spotty foam clinging to the glass, but not much.

Hops are foremost in the aroma. Earthy and pungent, with a wee bit of chocolate to the malt. Some fruit esters, coming off like juicyfruit gum. Definitely some dough character from the yeast. I like the hop aroma. It reminds me of a good homebrew.

The flavor opens with sweet caramel malt and a good bit of estery fruit. Doughy yeast and pear, full bodied, moving easily into earthy, piney hop bitterness. Hop forward, but well balanced. Certainly not a west coast IPA. The darker malt flavor and woodsy hops give this one a definite east coast feel.

This beer seems more like a well made homebrew than a professional production beer. Maybe it's the 1/8 inch of sediment sitting at the bottom of each bottle, the flavor, or a combination of the two. Either way, it's pretty enjoyable and reminiscent of an east coast IPA. I just wish I could bring myself to drink the last couple cloudy sips.

12-07-2010 19:54:00 | More by UnionMade
Drknight

3.25/5  rDev -4.1%

03-23-2014 19:31:51 | More by Drknight
BeerBelcher

I thought it odd when I noted that this beer was still advertising a GABF win from 1993 (maybe time for a packaging update?), but it did make me curious (and wary that it hadn't won anything more recently) enough to pick up a single at Liquor Mart in Boulder.

It poured a dark amber with a head that seemed to settle upwards much like a Guinness. Aroma was decent...lightly fruity but hardly overpowering. Taste was rather average. Than I noticed a large number of floaties in my beer. This really bothered me - IPAs shouldn't have floaties! This beer wasn't aged, stored in a barrel, or secondary fermented, thus my opinion that floaties are not acceptable. I tried to let them settle-out, but they remained suspended in the liquid. I had a really hard time getting past this, and started to negatively effect my perceptions of this beers taste and mouthfeel, making me believe it was stale, cardboard-y, and weirdly slick.

I'm not a fan. This bottle had no date nor code on it, so I'm left to assume it was brewery-fresh (delivered to Liquor Mart minutes before my arrival) and rate it as such.

10-18-2007 12:35:40 | More by BeerBelcher
PhatAtUT

12-03-2011 02:58:04 | More by PhatAtUT
Wildman

Okay, I decided to give this one a try since my best supplier had it out. The beer had a amber/deep red color to it and a small light tan head that didn't hold. The small was of hops and the first taste definately smacked of hops, making it a bit tangy. A slight citrus flavor becomes apparent after that. It strikes me as being a little light for an IPA. Would have to agree with the other guy that it falls between and IPA and a Pale Ale. There are better IPAs out there.

06-05-2002 16:02:35 | More by Wildman