1. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Estes Park Renegade - Estes Park Brewery

Estes Park RenegadeEstes Park Renegade

Estes Park Brewery visit their website
Colorado, United States

(Beer added by: Mitchster on 02-27-2002)
3.73/5  rDev +9.4%

Turbid, dark orange-caramel. This is one of the most turbid, darkest IPAs that I've ever seen. Even the highlights at the bottom of the glass are smoky. Despite a high-altitude pour, I was able to fit the entire bottle into a pint glass thanks to a lack of liveliness on the part of the head. The dense, creamy disk is orange-tinted beige in color and is exceedingly stubborn.

The nose is exactly what I expected given the hop bill of Chinook and Cascade. It smells like spicy, caramel-coated chunks of grapefruit peel. Even though I want more power, I definitely like what it delivers.

The flavor profile doesn't 'wow' me as I'd hoped it would. It tastes like much more Chinook were used than Cascade. That would be fine except for the abundant spiciness. I'm even picking up hints of chocolate malt. Any bright citrusiness that might have been present has been dulled beyond recognition.

Renegade is a significantly bitter beer. The reason, I think, is that there isn't enough malt and there's a boatload of raw, resinous Chinook. The flavor also reminds me of strong, bitter tea. It's a little too uncivilized for its own good, but I appreciate a little anti-social behavior in my IPAs now and then. Would calling this beer a less well-crafted, baby Arrogant Bastard Ale be out of line?

I'm still waiting for the mouthfeel to fill out since the flavor needs a much sturdier vehicle than it has been given. It's a fraction shy of medium when it needs to be half again as big in order to let those hops settle in and get comfortable. The amount of carbonation is on the low side, but then that's how I'd have drawn it up too.

Note to Estes Park Brewery: a gold medal from 1993 isn't impressive in the 'what have you done for me lately?' environment of American craft beer. I still have to give them credit for brewing a no-holds-barred, Chinook-intensive beer that can't possibly have mass appeal. Thanks to BlueMooner for the fast disappearing bottle.

3.03/5  rDev -11.1%

Dark coppery-bronze with some gold-brown as well, this is a very dark IPA. I like it! Soft beige head, at the apex the foam was a half-finger in height. Admirable head retention, it slowly faded to a thin, soapy cap. It is still looking good. The subsequent lacing was widespread and well organized; the residue was a bit droopy/webby but present nevertheless. A small cap lasted the entire consumption. All in all, this beer looks great.

The nose is hot with prickly citrus and piney vibes. Alcoholic too. There is some thin maltiness with a caramel trace. There isn’t much depth; that is a shame. It doesn’t smell much like an IPA to me, it is more like an American Strong Ale sans the malty goodness. Without a doubt this beer smells hoppy but I also worry it will be boozy and lacking in malt. The nose is inviting nevertheless. I remember it smelling better at the brewery…

The palate is good. I sampled this at the brewery and I liked it much better on-tap. I didn’t take any notes so this review is just based on this bottle. Warm upfront and in the middle and, well, the finish too. At least the nose didn’t lie. I wish it did. I like heat and the burn as much as the next but the lack of pure, angry bitterness doesn’t allow the burn to be balanced with a numb tongue. Thin maltiness and once again, the nose didn’t lie. Light toasted caramel notes and not much else. It is lightly fruity with a random kiss of flower here and there. There is flavor but I can’t help but call this beer dull. I also don’t think it is that good of an IPA. It is a hoppy ale of some sort. It was much better on-tap. I assume my bottle is fresh; I purchased it at the brewery.

Medium-light in body with low carbonation, there isn’t much to write home about regarding the mouthfeel. It is thin and lifeless. I guess I found something to write.

At best this is a BBQ beer. It is not tasty enough to be consumed standalone. I am disappointed; I remember a much better beer. Oh well. Drinkable? Sure. But do I really want to drink it again? No. There are much better beers on the market. I purchased this sample as part of a mix six-pack purchased at the brewpub in Estes Park, CO.

3.33/5  rDev -2.3%

A friend brought this back from Colorado for me. It was not what I was expecting but it was still good.

Poured a deep copper with a two finger white head that was shorlived and left some lacing.Oddly there were chunks of sediment in it that marred the appearance but did not adversely affect the taste or smell.

Smell was fruit, floral hops and faint caramel.

Taste was dry acidic citrus with some malt and a grapefruit pith finish.

Light to medium body.

Overall a fair IPA.

2.95/5  rDev -13.5%

This beer has a very strange appearance for an ipa. It's dark brown with big white chunks floating around in it. The aroma is cascade hops and vanilla. Caramel malt flavor is dominated by the cascade hops. Woody in the finish. Quite bitter. The mouthfeel is medium. Not terrible, but there are so many better examples of the style out there, I wouldn't waste time with this one.

3.03/5  rDev -11.1%

Pours out to a clear dark caramel, requiring a very hefty pour to achieve a head. The head is beige, small and soapy and quickly recedes to a small scum of bubbles at the edges of the glass with no lacing. Carbonation is mild. Aroma is very nice with a fresh and very fruity hop presence with some degree of citrus and load of vanilla...I've detected his vanilla in their Red Ale as well and wonder if it's the hops or the yeast they are using. There is a strong malt backbone in the aroma with a very nice sweet caramel presence, like chewy caramel candies. Mouthfeel is citric and astringent from both hops and roasted barley, with a medium body. Taste begins with pungent citric and resinous hops, followed by chalk, lightly roasted distant coffee, a very woody and dry finish, and lingering hop aftertaste. The bitterness is moderate, and remains pungent through the finish. Very, very woody and dry...there is more than hop astringency going on here and it curtails it's drinkability. Cleanly fermented with no appreciable off-flavors or preceptable alcohol.

This really smells nice, and starts out with a nice hop flavor, but the woody hop bitterness and barley husk astringency is too much in the finish and ruins it's enjoyment. I would pass on this...towards the bottom of the glass, it starts to taste like campfire ash and cocoa powder.

3.43/5  rDev +0.6%

Pours a semi-clear carmel with a nice tan head. Good lace.

The malt and hops mingle in the nose with a nice balance. However, there is not enough of it.

The taste is balanced with roasted malt and fruity hops.

This is a mid bodied beer that has an assertive hop finish. The hops linger in the mouth.

This is a decent beer that is drinkable but not awesome.

3.73/5  rDev +9.4%

This IPA was very American, I wondered if they dry-hopped cascades. The beer was extremely grapefruity from smell to finish, so much so, that I was convinced I'd gotten my RDA of Vitamin C.

The beer looked nice, ambery-yellow and slightly cloudy with a nice lacy head that lasted.

I too felt the beer could be maltier and more complex though, nevertheless a refreashing beer.

Okay, I decided to give this one a try since my best supplier had it out. The beer had a amber/deep red color to it and a small light tan head that didn't hold. The small was of hops and the first taste definately smacked of hops, making it a bit tangy. A slight citrus flavor becomes apparent after that. It strikes me as being a little light for an IPA. Would have to agree with the other guy that it falls between and IPA and a Pale Ale. There are better IPAs out there.

2.78/5  rDev -18.5%

A very Americanized IPA. Basically straddles the border between and American Pale and an IPA. Amber in color. Citrus on the nose. Hops (Cascade) make thenselves appearent right away. Malt is very subdued, and has an slightly odd, roasted (i.e. off) flavor. But since the malts do not assert themselves here, it doesn't really matter. Definately needs more balance.
This beer is middle of the road. Might be an okay no-brainer session brew. Hopheads will be okay with it. But not a beer to spend any time seeking out.

Estes Park Renegade from Estes Park Brewery