Vergina - Macedonian Thrace Brewery

poor

Macedonian Thrace Brewery visit their website
Greece

Euro Pale Lager |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Quaffer on 02-28-2002)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »

Salt-n-Beer, Sep 13, 2014
2.84/5  rDev +3.3%

.5L brown glass bottle with uninteresting label art and branded pry-off pressure cap acquired at a local corner mart here in Thessaloniki, Greece, and served into a generic cup. Served cold. Side-poured as no carbonation issues are anticipated. 5% ABV. BB: 14.03.15.

No bubble show forms as it's poured.

HEAD: Pours a one finger wide head of white colour. Decent thickness and creaminess. Fair complexion and consistency. No lacing sticks to the sides of the glass as the head recedes. Head retention is below average - about 1 minute.

BODY: Clear translucent pale yellow of below average vibrance. No yeast particulate or hop sediment is visible. Clean.

Not a unique or special appearance for the style. Looks underwhelming, but it's generally appealing overall.

AROMA: Quite muted. Clean barley is all I pick up. Maybe helles malts?

No yeast character, hop character, off-notes, or alcohol is detectable.

A decent aroma of average strength.

TASTE: Pils malts, clean barley, and some generic helles/pils malt sweetness. It's not imbalanced, but clearly it's not very carefully constructed. Average depth, duration, and intensity of flavour.

I guess I like it in a general sense. As with many beers in the style, it lacks complexity, intricacy, nuance, and subtlety. There's nothing unique or special going on here, and it's largely unremarkable. But there're no troublesome off-notes, and I don't pick up on any obvious alcohol presence.

TEXTURE: Smooth, wet, light, clean, and crisp. Overcarbonated. This texture suits the taste decently. It's fairly well executed and is light-bodied, with a decent overall presence on the palate. Not custom-tailored specifically to the taste by any means.

OVERALL: It's drinkable; anyone could down a glass of this with relative ease. But nothing about it stands out and I can't recommend it to friends - even at its reasonable price point. It's passable at best, and very average.

C

sendbeer, Dec 03, 2012
1.5/5  rDev -45.5%

chrispoint, Sep 25, 2012
2.85/5  rDev +3.6%

Drink this one in home land of it.
A-Very usual pale color,decent white foam with enough bubbless in the glass.
S-Malty with some cereals,better then i suspected.
T/M-Some unpleasant aftertaste,small decent bitterness,low carbonation,cereals and malt in the mouth.
O-Almost usual EPL.

djura, Sep 10, 2012
4.5/5  rDev +63.6%

Durruti69, Jul 04, 2012

RoryOMoore, Feb 27, 2012

vsls, Nov 20, 2011
2.5/5  rDev -9.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Drank a can of this this afternoon. Got it from a greek wine store and sandwich shop on the streets of Paris on my way back from class, since I wanted to drink a beer. Was on the go, so I didn't have anything to pour it into - drank it out of the can.

The greek vendor swore by this beer and said it would knock my socks off, but after tasting it, I knew that that was just so that I'd buy it. Silly

Rather boring, but could definitely be worse. Strong maltiness compared to most other beers you buy on the street. Didn't taste like ass. The alcohol came through a little too much for a beer of only 5%. I'd take this over the cheap, go-to lager from most countries, (molson, bud, kro, moretti), but definitely wouldn't go out of my way to drink it again.

Overall: Overpriced and boring. I'd like to try a better Greek beer if there are any.

TRICKYD1CK, Sep 13, 2011
2.73/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I got this canned beer from my brother in law who was in Greece a few months ago to keep the economy there running.

I am sitting im my kitchen and i an too tired to go upstairs and get me a real beer. This one i had in my kitchen so i opened it.

Poured in my Struise glass this beer looks quit good. Nice yellow fluid and a big four finger head which stcks to the glass. Best before december 2012.

The smell of this beer is the best part, a bit bready with citron, the rest is very average to say the least. A watery beer with almost no body. I can imagine that you drink this beer on a hot Greek summersday.

Brabander, Jul 28, 2011
3.1/5  rDev +12.7%

Name aside , this was a beer of unremarkable averageness.
Its crowning glory amongst its mediocrity was its easy drinkability.
It has no roughness or strange quirks and so is quite quaffable or in beer talk sessionable.
It is suited to and would complement the basic Greek staple of lamb lemon and garlic with salad and bread

jarmby1711, Mar 26, 2011
4.05/5  rDev +47.3%

Yes, yes, its a funny name, but I wanted to knock Greece off my list.

Presentation - Poured into Flying Fish Pint Glass

Appearance - Poured a golden color with two finger white head, retention is very good, takes a long time to go down

Smell/Taste - Sweet corn with some malts up front, a little bit of apples

Mouthfeel - Light and crisp

Drinkability/Overall - It's actually a pretty respectable import.

tjd112, Jun 21, 2010
2.95/5  rDev +7.3%

Humored by it's name, I drank this beer as a gag, but I was pleasantly surprised that the beer was better than what I expected. However, the beer isn't that good overall. It's a unique beer to have if you are on goal to make your friends laugh, have as your beer collection/selection or if your a Greek immigrant, and you just love your Vergina. Drinks like a pale lager, reminiscent of some lighter German lagers, or pale drinks.

StevenBilodeau, Jan 15, 2010
2.73/5  rDev -0.7%

Clear and golden with a decent head and thin lace.
The aroma of hops,light malts and yeast. Some mild citrus hints.

The taste started off with some mild,bitter hops and then it tasted sweet with some corn and lemon.
The feel was a light beer with high carbonation and a mild bitterness.

Notes: A step below the leading commercial Euro Pale lagers/ Pilsners. Still,this was not a horrible beer. It just lacked balance and the complexity is zero. Thin finish did not help and it really felt weak overall.

Lexluthor33, Apr 12, 2009
2.8/5  rDev +1.8%

Pours a clear golden color. It is the average straw colored fizzy look of a macro with the high carbonation creating a medium-sized white head.
Smells like the normal Euro Pale Lager. There is really nothing but that strong skunky hop smell.
Taste isn't all that bad. There is a lot of a cereal and corn malt taste to the beer. Then the hops take over and kind of dominate the taste leaving that skunky aftertaste.
Mouthfeel has a medium body with a ton of carbonation. A very sharp feel.
Vergina is a very average beer. Tastes a lot like every other Euro Pale Lager and I am not a fan of the style. I guess if I was Greek I would drink this beer proudly, but it does nothing for me.

BDIMike, Mar 20, 2009
2.68/5  rDev -2.5%

I love the name of this brewery "Macedonian Thrace" is just sounds so ... well, epic. I feel like watching 300, or Alexander. Well, here goes.

A - This pours clear and very dull yellow with a short lived 1/2 finger head that deposits a little bit of sudsy lace on the glass. Looks okay for the style, but sort of bland overall.

S - Whew. This is PUNGENT with super-saaz skunky funk. It's alarming to the nose at first, but I kinda started to like it after a few whiffs. Green grass, rotten lemon rind, and skunk-spray. I'm serious, this smells like skunk for real. But my anonymous postcard that I'd write to PostSecret would probably be my admission that I secretly love the smell of skunk ass.

T - Wow, this is not good. Bland malts, nickle-n-dime mineral notes (suckin' on a penny), and three week old long-forgotten lemonade that someone forgot to take out of the refrigerator. Some nice acrid hop notes are somewhat redeeming, and overall this isn't bad. It's growing on me for sure.

M - Thin and brittle with a massive amount of carbonation and a really acrid and dry finish. I actually think that if you can separate the mouthfeel from the flavor, the feel is quite good. It's taken me a long time to learn how to mentally separate the two, but this feel is good despite the iffy flavor.

D - The odd mineral and acrid acidic hop notes might complement vinegary and salty Greek food quite well. Otherwise, I'd skip this one in the future.

pmcadamis, Dec 28, 2008
2.85/5  rDev +3.6%

A: Gold color with very good, but not great, clarity. Foamy white head has average retention and leaves some lace.

S: Quite sweet. Smells mostly of table sugar and fresh cut grass, with a bit of malt in the background.

T: Mild flavor isn't terribly complex. Malt has a dry bread quality to it. Lemony bitterness is well balanced against the malt. Aftertaste has an unpleasant metallic quality.

M: Light body with the right fizz.

D: A passable beer that's no better than many of the mass-market Euro lagers.

Rayek, Jul 18, 2008
1.55/5  rDev -43.6%

12 ounce bottle into Dog-faced mug.

A: Brass body with foamy 2 finger head on pour that completely disappears.

S: Smells like a weak version of its Euro pale cousins. Slight malt and hop residue.

T: Almost like a canned mushroom with stale hop juice poured over it with metal can shavings. I don't like this one.

M: Foam

D: I thought this one might grow on me but it soured on my buds.

baos, Jun 17, 2008
1.48/5  rDev -46.2%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a very light yellow color, with a short white head that fades slowly and leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is of strong adjuncts and light malts with a faint touch of hops.

T: The taste has a lot of adjunct sweetness and some lager yeast breadiness. There's a little bit of pale hops bitterness but not enough to bring any balance. The malt character is very thin. The after-taste is slightly bready and slightly sweet.

M: Crisp but not smooth at all, light body, medium-to-high carbonation, finish is clean.

D: Not tasty, doesn't go down very easily, not filling, mild kick, I definitely would not drink this beer again.

TheManiacalOne, Jun 05, 2008