Vergina - Macedonian Thrace Brewery

poor

Macedonian Thrace Brewery visit their website
Greece

Euro Pale Lager |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Quaffer on 02-28-2002)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
BuckeyeNation

Iowa

2.58/5  rDev -5.8%

Sun-washed pale gold with a light dusting of superfine particulates and a few flakes that looked much larger coming through the bottle neck. The cotton white cap is fairly tight and therefore lasts for a bit. What lace there is looks uncommitted to the cause.

First off, there's no way this beer is an Oktoberfest. I don't know what it is since I haven't done anything other than look at it, but as far as the stated style... think again. It smells like what it looks like... a Euro pale lager. By the nose at least, it isn't a particularly good one. Mildly musky, musty hops are the... yawn... focal point.

Yup, EPL all the way. The flavor is barely more interesting than the aroma. Vergina is lightly malted, with hops easily more prominent. However, their contribution, in terms of both flavor and bitterness, is minimal.

At least the finish contains some amount of bitterness and keeps the beer from being a total loss. The mild metallic notes of the first few ounces have faded, as they often do. For some reason, I'm finding that I like the beer more ('dislike it less' would be a much more appropriate phrase) as I go. At least there's no trace of the nastinesss that creeps into many a macro lager with warming.

I have no strong opinions about the mouthfeel. It's serviceable and that's about it. It's light (of course) with an appropriate feel to the carbonation.

Vergina is another in a long line of European pale lagers that does nothing whatsoever to distinguish itself. It might be better if drunk ultra-fresh, but then this sort of beer can only be so good. In any event, since I don't have any immediate plans to visit the Greek Isles, I'll never know for sure. My loss. And yours if you buy it stateside.

02-21-2006 14:39:59 | More by BuckeyeNation
jaydoc

Kansas

2.5/5  rDev -8.8%

12-14-2013 04:51:32 | More by jaydoc
TheManiacalOne

Rhode Island

1.48/5  rDev -46%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a very light yellow color, with a short white head that fades slowly and leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is of strong adjuncts and light malts with a faint touch of hops.

T: The taste has a lot of adjunct sweetness and some lager yeast breadiness. There's a little bit of pale hops bitterness but not enough to bring any balance. The malt character is very thin. The after-taste is slightly bready and slightly sweet.

M: Crisp but not smooth at all, light body, medium-to-high carbonation, finish is clean.

D: Not tasty, doesn't go down very easily, not filling, mild kick, I definitely would not drink this beer again.

06-05-2008 02:47:13 | More by TheManiacalOne
russpowell

Oklahoma

2.85/5  rDev +4%

BBD 6-29-07

Pours an effervescent honey/straw color with 1.5" of white head. Good lacing& average head retention

S: Grassy hops & a little skunkyness mixed in.

T: Cereal, cornyness & herbal hops up front. Lemon hops, honey sweet malt & a little metallic tinge of hops as this warms. Finishes with more metal, but crisp, with some soapy hops

MF: Medium bodied with vigirous carbonation

Drank average, marzen? I don't think so. Better than BMC, but not by a lot. Would probably be a solid choice in the mother country, I'm guessing

06-26-2007 22:03:25 | More by russpowell
kojevergas

2.84/5  rDev +3.6%

.5L brown glass bottle with uninteresting label art and branded pry-off pressure cap acquired at a local corner mart here in Thessaloniki, Greece, and served into a generic cup. Served cold. Side-poured as no carbonation issues are anticipated. 5% ABV. BB: 14.03.15.

No bubble show forms as it's poured.

HEAD: Pours a one finger wide head of white colour. Decent thickness and creaminess. Fair complexion and consistency. No lacing sticks to the sides of the glass as the head recedes. Head retention is below average - about 1 minute.

BODY: Clear translucent pale yellow of below average vibrance. No yeast particulate or hop sediment is visible. Clean.

Not a unique or special appearance for the style. Looks underwhelming, but it's generally appealing overall.

AROMA: Quite muted. Clean barley is all I pick up. Maybe helles malts?

No yeast character, hop character, off-notes, or alcohol is detectable.

A decent aroma of average strength.

TASTE: Pils malts, clean barley, and some generic helles/pils malt sweetness. It's not imbalanced, but clearly it's not very carefully constructed. Average depth, duration, and intensity of flavour.

I guess I like it in a general sense. As with many beers in the style, it lacks complexity, intricacy, nuance, and subtlety. There's nothing unique or special going on here, and it's largely unremarkable. But there're no troublesome off-notes, and I don't pick up on any obvious alcohol presence.

TEXTURE: Smooth, wet, light, clean, and crisp. Overcarbonated. This texture suits the taste decently. It's fairly well executed and is light-bodied, with a decent overall presence on the palate. Not custom-tailored specifically to the taste by any means.

OVERALL: It's drinkable; anyone could down a glass of this with relative ease. But nothing about it stands out and I can't recommend it to friends - even at its reasonable price point. It's passable at best, and very average.

C

06-30-2014 20:08:18 | More by kojevergas
jdhilt

New Hampshire

2.68/5  rDev -2.2%

Pours a two finger white head that fades to a thin layer leaving a little lace. Light clear amber color. Light-medium carbonation and light-medium bodied. Hoppy nose. Starts nearly balanced just on the hoppy side, simple lager, slight hoppy-metallic aftertaste. Very similar to their Hillas. $1.49 for a 12oz bottle from John's Grocery Iowa City, IA. Best before May 5, 2006 and still okay.

01-21-2007 23:38:34 | More by jdhilt
Mebuzzard

Colorado

2.68/5  rDev -2.2%

A lilght gold/yellow pour, foaming head up to two fingers, but disapated quickly.
Smell of malt and rye are dominant. Some floral and hops, but not much.
Taste was thin, sweet, some biscuit and grain.
Thin feel, nothing complex. Better when very cold. Advise not pouring it and drinking out of bottle.

10-20-2006 19:35:52 | More by Mebuzzard

Georgia

12-03-2012 19:56:55 | More by sendbeer
TheLongBeachBum

2.28/5  rDev -16.8%

So there I was, perusing the local beer store tonight, after having failed to secure some Special Edition Yulesmith for a second time in as many days, my eyes wandered, I’m not one to leave a good Beer Store without at least purchasing one new beer.

Nope had that…, and that…, think I’ve tried that…, had that…, hmm not sure all these German bottle beers look the same….maybe next time, had th…..when Bham!! all of a sudden a Vergina leaped right out at me from the Cooler. This has only ever happened once before in a Beer Store, but that’s a story for another time. Intrigued I just had to have an immediate grope. Being your typical male, having a mental age of a 9 year old child and an affectionate fondness for Benny Hill – how could I not resist this one??

Comes (ooh…) in a 12 ounce brown glass bottle. A fancy metallic red v-shaped neck label has the words ‘Vergina Premium Imported Beer’. The main obverse label is a dark metallic blue with gold writing, it says, hmm not sure what it says, it’s all Greek to me. Has a white oval with a gold edge that has the words ‘Brewed in Greece – Finest Malt & Hops’. A red band runs through the middle, with yet more genitalian advertising of the beers name. Has the words 'Premium Quality Vergina", seems they can bottle anything these days. The crown cap has the word ВЕРГІΝA on it; hey I wonder if that is Greek for Vergina? If so, I *must* remember that…..

The reverse label has the usual Government Warning about having too many Verginas before driving and operating machinery, good advice. The back label has, damn!! It has a Best Before Date of 11-11-03, shite I missed that in the store, too busy looking at the front and not paying attention to the back end as usual! Oh well, looks like I got an Out of Date Vergina, Bloody Hell story of my life!!!!

Pours into my Pint Glass a clear golden color with plenty of streamers. The head is decent at first but it soon starts to go Commando and thins out, yet it retains a neatly trimmed and manicured appearance – it always has enough to cover the surface of the beer, just! Some lacing, but not much. Looks OK I guess, very “European Lager” in appearance. This has an incredibly bland nose, smells of sweetness and light malts. Tastes even blander. Sweet and Euro Lager like, it has an inoffensive profile that is nothing bad, just thin, watery and a tad sweet, gets sticky as it warms, hey just like…OK enough double-entendres. Drinkability is one notch below pond water; don’t even try double fisting this one, ooeerrr!

Aaaah, but if dear old Benny Hill was still alive, I’m sure this would appear in one of his sketches. Quite rightly so, because it’s a Joke, but the laughs on me because I bought it, that’ll teach me to grow up – oh maybe not.

So, overall, not much is going for it really, reminiscent of the words that ring in my ear from many a Friday Night out, or in the words of AB, “This Vergina’s not for you”. So Learn from History - Beware of Greeks bearing Vergina’s!!

Anyway, here’s raising my Vergina loud and proud in the face of Political Correctness!! Save this one for the Mediterranean vacation. This beer sucks, but in a nice way. ;-)

07-07-2004 04:22:17 | More by TheLongBeachBum

01-18-2013 08:08:43 | More by ste5venla
bditty187

Nebraska

3.55/5  rDev +29.6%

Pale, white-gold in hue with little sea-monkey things floating it in; is it yeast? Protein? What the hell is it? If I don’t look very closely I don’t see these things floating in it. Aw, nothing in beer can kill me so… Oh, anyway, the head was white foam, at the apex it was a solid two fingers tall. Solid head retention, a tight cap lasted the entire consumption, most impressive! The subsequent lacing was unorganized and fairly widespread. Aside from the sea-monkeys this beer looks quite nice.

The nose is classic Euro Lager. Sweet and earthy with “skunk-like” hop aromas, woody, grass and hay notes. I have to say this style of beer has really grown on me. When Euro Lagers are not lightstruck the hop profile is quite pleasant. Moderate potency, straightforward and likeable; I think this one might be a pleasant surprise!

The palate is malty sweet upfront, clean with just faint toasted bread and crackers vibe. This is a good foundation for the hop profile to jump off of. Earthy with grassy and hay notes; there is even a dash of lemon. I am surprised at how quickly this beer ends. There is almost no finish and only a weak, sweet aftertaste. All in all, this beer is just a simplest version of Heineken (canned or tap). It has struck a positive cord with me.

Medium-light in body, low and creamy carbonation, the mouthfeel is adequate but more carbonation and heft would have been preferred.

I found this very easy to drink. I wonder how much a six-pack costs? While I don’t think this beer is anything special nor do I think it would go all that well with Greek food I still liked it in the moment. I got my bottle in Council Bluffs, IA as part of a mixed six-pack of imported beers. I picked this beer because I thought it was from Argentina. Why that mattered at the time I don’t recall. Anyway, it is worth a try.

08-08-2006 13:49:45 | More by bditty187
Redrover

3.4/5  rDev +24.1%

I had a couple of bottles of this at Kalamata a very nice Greek restaurant in downtown Elmhurst, IL. It is a 12 oz brown bottle with a very nice metallic colored label.

Beer poured a very nice bright gold with a massive fluffy white head. Surprisingly good lacing.

Beer had that classic Euro lager/pilsner smell. Think unskunked Heineken with the grassy, slightly hoppy smell.

Taste was solid in a workman like way. Nothing to fancy, nothing bad. Malty sweet with more than a bit of hop bite. Nice bread taste in there too. The beer had no off tastes and did not seem to have any adjuncts.

Mouthfell was fine as the carbonation was perfect for the beer. Decent drinkability and it went great with the tasty Greek food. All-in-all a nice no fireworks type beer.

03-13-2004 01:04:15 | More by Redrover
Rayek

Colorado

2.85/5  rDev +4%

A: Gold color with very good, but not great, clarity. Foamy white head has average retention and leaves some lace.

S: Quite sweet. Smells mostly of table sugar and fresh cut grass, with a bit of malt in the background.

T: Mild flavor isn't terribly complex. Malt has a dry bread quality to it. Lemony bitterness is well balanced against the malt. Aftertaste has an unpleasant metallic quality.

M: Light body with the right fizz.

D: A passable beer that's no better than many of the mass-market Euro lagers.

07-18-2008 16:09:38 | More by Rayek
RoryOMoore

02-27-2012 08:06:29 | More by RoryOMoore
pmcadamis

2.68/5  rDev -2.2%

I love the name of this brewery "Macedonian Thrace" is just sounds so ... well, epic. I feel like watching 300, or Alexander. Well, here goes.

A - This pours clear and very dull yellow with a short lived 1/2 finger head that deposits a little bit of sudsy lace on the glass. Looks okay for the style, but sort of bland overall.

S - Whew. This is PUNGENT with super-saaz skunky funk. It's alarming to the nose at first, but I kinda started to like it after a few whiffs. Green grass, rotten lemon rind, and skunk-spray. I'm serious, this smells like skunk for real. But my anonymous postcard that I'd write to PostSecret would probably be my admission that I secretly love the smell of skunk ass.

T - Wow, this is not good. Bland malts, nickle-n-dime mineral notes (suckin' on a penny), and three week old long-forgotten lemonade that someone forgot to take out of the refrigerator. Some nice acrid hop notes are somewhat redeeming, and overall this isn't bad. It's growing on me for sure.

M - Thin and brittle with a massive amount of carbonation and a really acrid and dry finish. I actually think that if you can separate the mouthfeel from the flavor, the feel is quite good. It's taken me a long time to learn how to mentally separate the two, but this feel is good despite the iffy flavor.

D - The odd mineral and acrid acidic hop notes might complement vinegary and salty Greek food quite well. Otherwise, I'd skip this one in the future.

12-28-2008 18:32:24 | More by pmcadamis
SaCkErZ9

3.3/5  rDev +20.4%

I dont believe this is and octoberfest so I will review it as a Euro Pale Lager.

Nothing extraordinary about this beer. Pours a dark straw color with a nice head that seems to want to be there but has a hard time staying for the entire party. Leaves minimal to no lacing.

Typical lager aroma. Fairly malty with some adjuncts and little hop aroma. Sweet smelling.

Taste follows suit with aroma. Sweet tasting with nice carbonation. A bit earthy/grassy in flavor.

Good mouthfeel and pretty good drinkability. Enjoyed this with moussaka and untraditional Greek salad. Good beer with the food.

10-07-2005 18:53:06 | More by SaCkErZ9
chrispoint

Connecticut

1.5/5  rDev -45.3%

09-25-2012 14:41:09 | More by chrispoint
Brabander

Netherlands

2.73/5  rDev -0.4%

I got this canned beer from my brother in law who was in Greece a few months ago to keep the economy there running.

I am sitting im my kitchen and i an too tired to go upstairs and get me a real beer. This one i had in my kitchen so i opened it.

Poured in my Struise glass this beer looks quit good. Nice yellow fluid and a big four finger head which stcks to the glass. Best before december 2012.

The smell of this beer is the best part, a bit bready with citron, the rest is very average to say the least. A watery beer with almost no body. I can imagine that you drink this beer on a hot Greek summersday.

07-28-2011 21:47:44 | More by Brabander

1.75/5  rDev -36.1%

06-21-2014 23:57:06 | More by Hellpop65
gmfessen

3.23/5  rDev +17.9%

Poured from the bottle into a pint glass, beer looks much more like a standard lager than it does an Oktoberfest/Marzen. A clear, yellow-golden color with a one finger bubbly head. Smell like most Euro Lagers that I've tried; sweet - slightly fruity and hints of honey, no real hop appearance and skunky. The taste is also very similar to an E.L., similar to the smell with a slight graininess about it. Mouthfeel is light-to-medium bodied with a bubbly carbonation. A drinkable beer, although I believe it has been wrongly classified as a Marzen style.

07-09-2007 23:23:14 | More by gmfessen
Lexluthor33

2.73/5  rDev -0.4%

Clear and golden with a decent head and thin lace.
The aroma of hops,light malts and yeast. Some mild citrus hints.

The taste started off with some mild,bitter hops and then it tasted sweet with some corn and lemon.
The feel was a light beer with high carbonation and a mild bitterness.

Notes: A step below the leading commercial Euro Pale lagers/ Pilsners. Still,this was not a horrible beer. It just lacked balance and the complexity is zero. Thin finish did not help and it really felt weak overall.

04-12-2009 00:23:21 | More by Lexluthor33
slitherySOB

Ontario (Canada)

2.13/5  rDev -22.3%

Terribly below average lager. I bought a sixer of it, because the natives insisted I try it. Confused me a little at the store. They pronounced it vajeena, which got a confused look out of me. Anyways, Vergina pours a light, copper stain colour with alot of carbonation. You can hear this beer from 20 feet away. For about a second, their is a big woosh of a head, but that disappears into a sliver of foam. No lacing whatsoever. Which isn't surprising, since their is no head to give lace. Smelled a little like cheap candy. Very sugary, sweet & sour smell in front of a skunked aroma. Now, it it skunked, or is that aroma supposed to be their? I don't know. I do know I don't care for it. Tastes like stale Carlsberg with a dallop of butter at first. But after awhile, the sweet & sour candy breaks through on the tongue. Because of the dextrin, it's a smooth sweet & sour, but unpleasant. Mouthfeel is very overcarbonated and a little harsh. Not very drinkable. I asked one of the natives at work why they insist I try this beer. Too put it bluntly, they liked the image of people drinking this beer that sounds like female genitalia.

03-13-2004 21:36:46 | More by slitherySOB