Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Vergina - Macedonian Thrace Brewery

VerginaVergina

Macedonian Thrace Brewery visit their website
Greece

Euro Pale Lager |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: Quaffer on 02-28-2002

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
2.77/5  rDev -0.4%

Appearance: This beer poured a pale, golden yellow color. The white head rose up to a good three fingers and, surprisingly, lingered for a long time. Probably all-malt, eh? After it finally setted, a few thick patches of foam remained, which were being fed by some heavy streams of bubbles from the bottom of the glass. The head was sticky and a light web of lace was left behind on the side of the glass.

Smell: Some sweet grasses and malts right after the pour. However, after the beer sat for just a couple of minutes, the aroma became watery and thin. A hint of floral hops came through on the nose at this time, but it couldn't overcome the obvious nothingness.

Mouthfeel: Thin-bodied, crisp, and relatively smooth. It did become a little watery, but not as bad as I was expecting.

Taste: Very light, sweet grasses upfront that were quickly overpowered by a floral hoppiness. Well, overpowered might not be the right word, considering that the hops really had no power at all. It's all relative, I guess. That's all there was.

An Oktoberfest this is not.

I'm pretty sure that this was an adjunct-free, all-malt lager, there just needed to be more malt used. That said, I would drink this over a B-M-C product any day. This isn't usually the type of beer that I review, but I'd never had a Greek beer before so, what the hell. Plus, it's called Vergina . . .

. . . huh huh huh, I said Vergina. (1,416 characters)

3.5/5  rDev +25.9%

I don't believe this is a Marzen/Oktoberfest style.

However, I was plesantly surprised that it was a decent lager- thought maybe it was a novelty brew given the name...

Full head, fine bubbles, deep gold color.
Light hops and no Euro skunk aroma- fine.
Flavor- clean, just a touch grainy.
Ends up being very drinkable. I'd have it again with Greek American foods. (372 characters)

2.8/5  rDev +0.7%

In a bottle at Pete's Greek Town Cafe in Denver, CO August 19, 2004
Best by date of September 9, 2004. Tried this because I wanted a Greek beer in a Greek restaurant. Tried to speak Greek with the manager -- he said I knew more Greek than he did.

A big, long-lasting, off-white head on a tan-amber beer. Smell of malt with a note of hops. Not much else here.

Taste is slightly sweet, almost sticky -- much rounder than I was expecting from a lager. Lots of carbonation. An okay beer -- don't go across town to get one, but if you happen to be in a Greek restaurant, give one a try. (589 characters)

2.26/5  rDev -18.7%

So there I was, perusing the local beer store tonight, after having failed to secure some Special Edition Yulesmith for a second time in as many days, my eyes wandered, I’m not one to leave a good Beer Store without at least purchasing one new beer.

Nope had that…, and that…, think I’ve tried that…, had that…, hmm not sure all these German bottle beers look the same….maybe next time, had th…..when Bham!! all of a sudden a Vergina leaped right out at me from the Cooler. This has only ever happened once before in a Beer Store, but that’s a story for another time. Intrigued I just had to have an immediate grope. Being your typical male, having a mental age of a 9 year old child and an affectionate fondness for Benny Hill – how could I not resist this one??

Comes (ooh…) in a 12 ounce brown glass bottle. A fancy metallic red v-shaped neck label has the words ‘Vergina Premium Imported Beer’. The main obverse label is a dark metallic blue with gold writing, it says, hmm not sure what it says, it’s all Greek to me. Has a white oval with a gold edge that has the words ‘Brewed in Greece – Finest Malt & Hops’. A red band runs through the middle, with yet more genitalian advertising of the beers name. Has the words 'Premium Quality Vergina", seems they can bottle anything these days. The crown cap has the word ВЕРГІΝA on it; hey I wonder if that is Greek for Vergina? If so, I *must* remember that…..

The reverse label has the usual Government Warning about having too many Verginas before driving and operating machinery, good advice. The back label has, damn!! It has a Best Before Date of 11-11-03, shite I missed that in the store, too busy looking at the front and not paying attention to the back end as usual! Oh well, looks like I got an Out of Date Vergina, Bloody Hell story of my life!!!!

Pours into my Pint Glass a clear golden color with plenty of streamers. The head is decent at first but it soon starts to go Commando and thins out, yet it retains a neatly trimmed and manicured appearance – it always has enough to cover the surface of the beer, just! Some lacing, but not much. Looks OK I guess, very “European Lager” in appearance. This has an incredibly bland nose, smells of sweetness and light malts. Tastes even blander. Sweet and Euro Lager like, it has an inoffensive profile that is nothing bad, just thin, watery and a tad sweet, gets sticky as it warms, hey just like…OK enough double-entendres. Drinkability is one notch below pond water; don’t even try double fisting this one, ooeerrr!

Aaaah, but if dear old Benny Hill was still alive, I’m sure this would appear in one of his sketches. Quite rightly so, because it’s a Joke, but the laughs on me because I bought it, that’ll teach me to grow up – oh maybe not.

So, overall, not much is going for it really, reminiscent of the words that ring in my ear from many a Friday Night out, or in the words of AB, “This Vergina’s not for you”. So Learn from History - Beware of Greeks bearing Vergina’s!!

Anyway, here’s raising my Vergina loud and proud in the face of Political Correctness!! Save this one for the Mediterranean vacation. This beer sucks, but in a nice way. ;-) (3,252 characters)

2.1/5  rDev -24.5%

Terribly below average lager. I bought a sixer of it, because the natives insisted I try it. Confused me a little at the store. They pronounced it vajeena, which got a confused look out of me. Anyways, Vergina pours a light, copper stain colour with alot of carbonation. You can hear this beer from 20 feet away. For about a second, their is a big woosh of a head, but that disappears into a sliver of foam. No lacing whatsoever. Which isn't surprising, since their is no head to give lace. Smelled a little like cheap candy. Very sugary, sweet & sour smell in front of a skunked aroma. Now, it it skunked, or is that aroma supposed to be their? I don't know. I do know I don't care for it. Tastes like stale Carlsberg with a dallop of butter at first. But after awhile, the sweet & sour candy breaks through on the tongue. Because of the dextrin, it's a smooth sweet & sour, but unpleasant. Mouthfeel is very overcarbonated and a little harsh. Not very drinkable. I asked one of the natives at work why they insist I try this beer. Too put it bluntly, they liked the image of people drinking this beer that sounds like female genitalia. (1,137 characters)

3.38/5  rDev +21.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I had a couple of bottles of this at Kalamata a very nice Greek restaurant in downtown Elmhurst, IL. It is a 12 oz brown bottle with a very nice metallic colored label.

Beer poured a very nice bright gold with a massive fluffy white head. Surprisingly good lacing.

Beer had that classic Euro lager/pilsner smell. Think unskunked Heineken with the grassy, slightly hoppy smell.

Taste was solid in a workman like way. Nothing to fancy, nothing bad. Malty sweet with more than a bit of hop bite. Nice bread taste in there too. The beer had no off tastes and did not seem to have any adjuncts.

Mouthfell was fine as the carbonation was perfect for the beer. Decent drinkability and it went great with the tasty Greek food. All-in-all a nice no fireworks type beer. (776 characters)

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last