India Pale Ale - Ice Harbor Brewing Company

India Pale AleIndia Pale Ale

Ice Harbor Brewing Company visit their website
Washington, United States

(Beer added by: woemad on 09-27-2005)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
3.58/5  rDev -6.5%

22oz bottle into a tulip. Pours a wonderful colour of amber orange, with a largewhite foamy head. however, it is VERY cloudy and aloadof sediment.

Smell is hoppy on the pour, but when it settles in the glass it is very malty. The bottle I had has no date, so I wonder if the hops have died down a bit. But I was getting someleathery biscuity notes.

Alittle acidic hop rush on the tongue at the begining, and then more of the biscuit malty takes over. Not bad, but not great.

Fells good,drinks well, just a lot of sediment.

Not a bad offering

Chelsea1905, Jan 22, 2011
4.22/5  rDev +10.2%

A: Poured a nice golden color with good carbonation and a nice white head

S: Floral, citrus notes are dominant but more floral notes

T: A nice balance with caramel and hops, floral and back citrus hanging in there, crisp and tasty

M: Light hop bite, crisp and lighter booze

D: East and pleasurable to drink indeed

barleywinefiend, Aug 21, 2010
3.6/5  rDev -6%

Pours with two finger head and has an orange color. Smells of an orangey citrus with a noticeable undertone of Carmel malts, a floral grassy smell is also noticeable. It tastes at first lightly sweet with hints of orange but becomes dry shortly; there is a potent strong bitterness that lingers on for a while. The beer ends with a floral aftertaste. The carbonation is medium low and brings out the flavor. It's a damn good IPA with limited distribution, so if you see it and like bitter but balanced IPA its worth picking up.

chumba526, Apr 15, 2010
4.03/5  rDev +5.2%

On tap at the brewery, served 1.30.10 into a chilled pint glass :).

Golden hazy brew, not chill haze I believe this is unfiltered, 1 finger white head, medium dissipation with very nice lacing. The nose is citrus hoppy but balanced nicely with bready malts. The taste is subtle hoppiness, citrusy, a bit of grapefruit and some pine. Dry finish from the bready malts, not overly carbonated. Quite drinkable. The number one selling beer at Ice Harbor, accounting for about 30% of sales. The most valid comparison would be Terminal Gravity. Actually this is pretty good, I'll certainly seek out my next trip to Tri-Cities. Recommended.

jdense, Feb 02, 2010
3.14/5  rDev -18%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Aged from August. Pours a dark yellow-orange, little carbonation. Aroma, something astringent alcoholesque, not the best smell. Taste, very bitter. Not so much in terms of hop quality or dry hopping flavor, must use something in a long hop boil.

Definitely let's you know it's there, good alcohol and bitterness quotient. Not quite balanced. Had a lot better IPAs, but still I guess this is a tad better than your average beer. Drinking it fresh doesn't seem to matter, its all about the bitterness and not so much the flavor. Marginally average.

Beerandraiderfan, Dec 25, 2009
4.4/5  rDev +14.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Picked up a sixer on my last trip to Yakima. This bottle poured a hazy copper hue with a whiff of white foam that leaves an abundance of lacing on the glass.

The aroma is huge and bright. Musky grapefruit, fleshy tangerine and a hint of sweet malt.

The taste bursts with hop flavors. There's sweet citrus flavors followed by a gentle malt profile. The malt is there providing the platform for the hops to leap, but asks for no recognition. It steps aside and allows for a clean, dry and bitter finish.

It's been a while since I've been surprised by an IPA, and this one is abundantly bitter and citrusy while still being unique. The first one reminded me a little of Grant's, which almost offended me with it's directness. This is direct but pleasant. It's too bad I'll have to go back to Yakistan to get some more.

freed, Jul 08, 2009
3.9/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Smells like a bag of Amarillo pellets! Wha tmore could a hophead want?

Good creamy head and color. Slightly cloudy amber.

The taste is almost a double IPA as there is a strong hop bitterness that lingers.

The mouthfeel is well rounded and invites me back for another sip.

KJH, Jan 28, 2009
3.85/5  rDev +0.5%

On tap at the marina. Served in a pint glass.

Pours a deep gold color and is clear. A thin bubbly white head caps the beer.

Smell is faint and has pine sweet malt notes.

Taste is a nice sweet malt flavor up front and a smooth citrus bitterness. Well balanced flavors are complex and interesting.

Mouthfeel is a little thin and flat perhaps. The beer is mildly carbonated.

A very drinkable IPA. Not too bitter, not too dry. I'd have this again.

RJLarse, Oct 12, 2008
4.13/5  rDev +7.8%

Poured a light copper to orange with a thin white head that stuck around. Smell was hoppy but a hint of malt. Taste was excellent, a lot of hops but not very bitter. Taste was capitalized by a crisp, clean piney taste. Very good texture, though a little thin. I am not a big fan of IPA's but sometimes I find one that I can enjoy. This is one of the enjoyables, but it may be a little hoppy for a session beer.

tbeck, Aug 07, 2008
4.05/5  rDev +5.7%

Shaker glass at the brewery, Ice Harbor's flagship IPA is a clear pale bronze with a small white collar.

Smell is duller, although it was served cold, with lots of hop oils, pine and citrus, a bit on the sweeter side malt wise.

Taste is huge, clean, sweet toffee and caramel malt, with a ton of very nice floral/citrus hop flavor, with a nice spiciness. Very satisfying IPA, wow. Right up my ally for the style, hoppy flavor without being to bitter, albeit it bit malty.

Mouthfeel is oily and dry, a bit prickly, with a medium body.

Drinkability is pretty good, tasty and with a well-hidden ABV. Overall this is very nice, classic PNW IPA, and at only $2.50/glass on Monday's, it went down in a hurry!

ccrida, Jul 18, 2008
4.2/5  rDev +9.7%

A : A nice golden color with a good white head

S : A nice hop aroma, not too overpowering

T : Starts off with a nice smooth hop flavor followed by some citrus notes. A nice hop bitterness on the end

M : Smooth with good carbonation

D : It's a real nice drinking IPA. I'd drink it again

mhewes, Apr 29, 2008
4.15/5  rDev +8.4%

I'd been waiting half a year to try Ice Harbor's IPA on cask. The regular draught version is a gem and I suspected that cask conditioning may be the last essence of refinement that might achieve total sublimity. That turned out to not be the case. But the core virtues of the IPA survive admirably and the cask version is still excellent, if not enhanced above the draught.

The cask IPA has a white cap of downy soft suds that sits with enduring authority at an elevation of nearly a full finger. Three hops - Cascade, Amarillo, and Crystal - make a strong presence in the flowery bouquet and bright hop flavor that brings immediate enjoyment value. Bittering adds a light biting edge. The body is golden and slightly clouded though virtually uncarbonated. Even for a cask-conditioned ale the complete absence of bubbles seems out of place. But the lack of carbonation enhanced the mouthfeel, making it feel like spun gold to the tongue.

RedDiamond, Apr 06, 2008
3.65/5  rDev -4.7%

This beer was received from dnichols. Thanks bud!

Pours a nice orange with a creamy white head! The smell is pretty hoppy and has a slight bread taste. Weird! The taste is a mild hoppy brew but that damn bread taste is still there. I like this beer but I've never encountered this taste before. The mouthfeel is full but doesnt last a long time. This beer is a lovely extra and super drinkable.

Overall, I liked this beer! Thanks dnichols! This is another decent IPA. Not the best BUT its still a nice brew!

iconoklaztor, Feb 24, 2008
4.43/5  rDev +15.7%

Bought a 12oz bottle of this at a supermarket in Kennewick (I believe it was a Yoke's) the day after a night before spent at the Ice Harbor brew pub, in the old downtown area. I believe I had this on tap, but at the same time as a number of their other offerings, so no review for any of the drafts. The waitress told me that the IPA cask at the pub is different than the IPA in the bottle, but didn't elaborate, and I didn't pursue (the beer question, or the waitress...) Anyways, I've had this in the fridge since September, time to bust it out.

Right away I could see the sediment in the bottle, but no worries about that. Poured carefully into my Laughing Dog pint glass (another souvenir of that trip), this beer produced a healthy 3 fingers of off-white head, and was a beautiful hazy faded orange colour. Beers that look like this one did have always seemed to turn out well. (That's called foreshadowing, folks...) Some of the sediment from the pour settled as I looked at it, clouding it up further. Taking a whiff of this once the head disappeared a few minutes later, I knew I was in for a treat. This smelled amazing, the dry hopping really doing the trick - lovely grapefruit and pine, all present and accounted for. Taking a sip, I was pleasantly surprised that this wasn't an overwhelming hop bomb. It was all creamy, citrusy, and oily hop goodness, but all in even balance with a nice reserved maltiness. Very moderate carbonation, and well hidden alcohol - I had to pace myself, or this would have been done straight away.

I had to be selective in what I brought back across the border upon heading home from the Tri Cities, and I knew there'd be at least a few single selections for which I would wish I'd purchased a six-pack. Boy, is this one of them - I'm sure I could session this IPA all night long.

biboergosum, Nov 25, 2007

I previously sampled this beer in a 12 ounce bottle so I resampled from the tap at the brewery pub in Kennewick, WA.

A: It poured rich golden color with an orange tint and white head. The head had good retention and produced a consistent lacing.

S: It had fresh herbal aromas that included spicy earthy aromas with a touch of lightly toasted malts. The aroma of hops is so dominant.

T: It began with a massive hop assault that was bitter and tangy. There are sharp spice flavors that are followed by a soothing and sweet malts. There was a slight but not distasteful bitter aftertaste.

M: Light to medium body with a bitter front, malty sweet middle and spicy end.

D: I am not a IPA fan but this one is very drinkable. I enjoyed the keg variation more than the bottle.

dnichols, Nov 06, 2007

Purchased a 6-pk for $7.89 at Yoke's in Kennewick. I've since discovered a sixer at the brewery is about a buck cheaper, so I'd reccomend picking it up there instead.

Poured a hazy orange/amber color into a SA BL pintglass (thanks again Bros & SA). Big, thick off-white head that took several minutes to drop and left "neglige" of lace on the sides of the glass.

The nose is tart and citrusy, with a bit of pineyness present as well. This is dryhopped with Amarillo hops, so if you dig that hop, this will please you.

This has a sharp, tart citrusy taste, along with some piney notes. There's a biscuity malt backbone that, while detectable, is properly subordinate to the hops.

Medium bodied, with a prickly and oily mouthfeel.

This, along with Laughing Dog's IPA, is one of my favorite session IPAs. I usually pick up a sixer when I visit the Tri-Cities. I'm deleting my previous review, as it's long since become apparent I had a bad bottle.

woemad, Sep 24, 2007