Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Flying Horse Royal Lager - United Breweries - UB Group

Flying Horse Royal LagerFlying Horse Royal Lager

United Breweries - UB Group
India

American Pale Lager |  4.70% ABV

Beer added by: brewdlyhooked13 on 10-10-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Flying Horse Royal Lager Alström Bros
3.13/5  rDev +4.7%

Had a bomber of this with my Indian dinner tonight

Pours golden/straw with 1" of white head. Zero lacing or head retention

S: Sweet malt & perfumy hops

T: Sweet malt & hint of herbal hops up front. A little grainyness & cardboard moves in as it warms. Finishes sweet & dry

MF: Low carbonation & light/medium body, skews too sweet balancewise

Drank below average, not sure I'd have this one again. Probably only if it was a choice between BMC & this & then it's more about princible than taste. Left about 4ozs in the glass, I usually never waste beer (565 characters)

3.6/5  rDev +20.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Poured from a large bottle (I think over 1 pint) and had with dinner at an Indian restaurant. It was completely clear, yellow color, thin white head (the head didn't retain). The smell was mild due to the style, more malty than hoppy. Flavor was mildly malty with a very slight bitter aftertaste.

It wasn't my favorite style of beer but it went well with the spicy Indian food we were eating. Same thing as drinking Kirin at a Japanese restaurant, it's just about right for the food. (487 characters)

3.03/5  rDev +1.3%

For the style this is decent enough....I get a slight bit of skunk on the nose but not on the taste....Pours a light gold with a little haze...big white frothy head....has a slight noble hop impression on the taste...spicier than a basic American Macro lager...crisp maltiness...a little dry on the finish...

I was given this sample and wouldn't consider buying it from a liqour store but at a restraunt I would certainly try it alongside some spicy food.

The more I drink this it gives a sourish flavor... (512 characters)

3.01/5  rDev +0.7%

This beer is on the menu for October 2006 at Mother's Bistro in Portland, OR (happy birthday to both Moms...). The theme of their specials this month is 'Indian', so the special import is Flying Horse Royal Lager. I thought it'd be worth a try - though not cheap at $7 for a 650ml bottle. Poured to a pint glass. Label has a cartoon image of Pegasus, the flying horse of Greek mythology.

A: Pale yellow and crystal clear with some steady carbonation. A one-finger rocky white head crowns the glass...

S: Hmmm...not much smell. Mild grains & malt...clean hops for some miniscule bittering. At least it's not off-smelling...

T: Decent flavor for the macro-styled beer. Gentle toasted grain and a hint of nuttiness. A touch bitter...nothing 'awful' & nothing 'exceptional'...I guess that makes it pretty 'average'...

M: Clean and crisp, light mouthfeel.

D: This beer must go with food, which is how I enjoyed it - I scored it slightly above average for that reason. My dinner was masala-spiced prawns and aromatic rice; the beer provided a nice clean backdrop on which to enjoy those flavors. I suppose I could have said the same about any of a number of macro lagers, still it was a novelty trying one from India and having it paired with Indian cuisine...though probably my first AND last Flying Horse, it was good enough for me on this night. (1,347 characters)

3.03/5  rDev +1.3%

Bright yellow-gold with a sparse cloud of fine particles. The cap practically exploded off the bottle, but the amount of carbonation doesn't look to be out of the ordinary. A decent looking cap of simple white sits atop the beer and leaves a few arcing streamers of sudsy lace when it descends. More than passable.

As is the nose. Sure it's simple. Sure it's grain-like. It's also devoid of any off-aromas that would make me assign a less than average score. It smells more musky than many Indian lagers, but not exactly more hoppy. Although where musky would come from other than hops, I have no idea.

This is okay beer. It tastes similar to the two other offerings from this brewery that I've had (from what I can remember anyway). Lightly sweet grain countered by grassy, lightly spicy noble hops... you know the drill. Like the nose, there's no hint of nastiness, even as there's little hint of pleasantness. The finish is short and reasonably clean.

I didn't expect much on the body/mouthfeel front and that's exactly what I got. It's light without being watery and is carbonated well enough to keep the mouthfeel from feeling lackluster. In short, it's as unoffensive and as unremarkable as the rest of the beer.

As far as United Breweries beer goes, Flying Horse loses to Taj Mahal by a nose and finishes quite a few lengths ahead of Kingfisher. Like most beer from this country, I would never buy a bottle to enjoy on its own, but would have no problem ordering it in an Indian restaurant to douse the heat from a plate of vindaloo curry. (1,558 characters)

2.5/5  rDev -16.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Appearance – This came out a light yellow in color with an orangish tinge and a quick white head.

Smell – The grain is light and husky but not overly offensive.

Taste – The grain mellows at the taste and isn’t all that bad as far as American Macros are concerned. There’s a faint corny sweetness as well that, again, isn’t really that good but isn’t really that bad.

Mouthfeel – This is light-bodied with a nice crispness at the very end.

Drinkability – This was drinkable. Barely so, but drinkable. (521 characters)

Meh. An overall average beer. Nothing special, but not terrible, either. I'd drink it again, but it wouldn't be my first choice. I will mention that it went very well with my lamb curry. I did notice that the carbonation level was a bit high, as noted by other reviewers, but I didn't have a problem with it. The hop flavor and aroma was definitely superior to NAILs, but that's about the highest praise I can give it. (418 characters)

3.35/5  rDev +12%

650ml. brown bottle with a MFD 12/05 and Batch No.1476. It pours a liquid GOLD with 1/2inch of white bubbly that dies rather quicky, then re-builds itself a bit with it's carbonation. Nice, delicate bubble lace with this one.

Nice malty nose, grainy pale malts with some yeast and grassy hops in the background. It actually smells more like a Czech Pilz, than an American macro, nice aroma.

Taste is mildly sweet malt upfront, then quenches through to a crisp, slightly dry, bitter hop of a finish. Definitely a warm to hot weather beer, low enough in ABV and light enough in body to consume in large quantities to keep you cool and happy.

Mouthfeel is round with a little bite on the tongue. A very refreshing, lighter style of beer, that's worth a try...cheers. (772 characters)

3.21/5  rDev +7.4%

Poured a pretty normal head with poor retention. Decent lacing mixed with a noon day sun color. Smell is avery grassy with pilsner malts. Taste is a watery, yet natural malt character. Tastes like Indian sunshine. The palate is pretty light and refreshing, making this beer very easy to drink. (293 characters)

3.47/5  rDev +16.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

The beer pours a pale gold color with a thick frothy white head that slowly fades to lacing. The aroma is decent. It has a light pale malt scent along with a slight bitterness. It's clean with a dry lager yeast aroma. The taste is decent as well. It has a smooth pale malt flavor that seems a bit grainy and slightly earthy on the finish. It's crisp and refreshing, but lacking any real character. The mouthfeel is decent. It is a low bodied beer with good carbonation. This is a good lager. It has a flavor that I enjoy as well as good drinkability. (550 characters)

3.4/5  rDev +13.7%

Light bodied, clear light gold with a disappearing white head.

Little aroma - mild malt, bread.

Taste is sweet malt, slight yeasty flavor with a nice hops bite, though no real hops flavor, somewhat dry finish.

Crisp, refreshing, well balanced, very drinkable. A very decent lager (291 characters)

1.89/5  rDev -36.8%

Somehow I always revisit beers I know I still won't like. Pours golden-yellow with so much carbonation that it looks like bad champagne momentarily. Overly aired head that fades quickly. Nose is OK with hints of grain and grass, some hops. Nothing offensive, nothing attractive, average. Taste is not good at all, really poor IMO. It has some wheat undertones that give way to spice which is not what I'd expect. The hoppiness that I did experience felt like it was coming from a jar, really strange kick to it. The carbonation really hurt any attempt at having it with the food being served as it amplified all the tastes and aromas while simultaneously contaminating them. (674 characters)

3.25/5  rDev +8.7%

I went to pick up my Indian carry-out order a few minutes early so I could belly up to the bar and drain one. I initially picked Taj Mahal, but at the last minute changed my mind to this one. I don't think I've had it before, and in comparison I was getting an extra 0.3% ABV (bang for my buck!). It's to the point now where any new lager I try is expected to be fairly boring, but I'm always hoping for some unique characteristic to shine through. With Flying Horse, there is a noticable hint of sweet corn. The morning-urine yellow appearance reinforces this trait, which is normally a reminder that I'm drinking cheaply produced swill. It reminds me a lot of Red Stripe which I think also imparts this same sweet grain flavor, but Flying Horse is more extreme in this regard. Did I just use the word "extreme" in a lager review? Well, not extreme, but very noticable when put up against any other standard import lager from Europe or elsewhere. I rather enjoyed this beer, though in the "Macro Lager" catagory it doesn't take a whole lot to impress. (1,052 characters)

2.55/5  rDev -14.7%

Picked this baby up at Vendomes in Beverly Hills. Thought the label looked interesting and I am a fan of a good lager so I thought I'd give it a try.

Wheat or dry grass type of taste but its accented by a light malty flavor...This is suitable for a session beer as it has more character than the macro's and finishes clean enough for enjoyment for an evening. Not much else to say...so so.

Not much to speak of, bland, adjunct crap. (438 characters)

Pours a light straw with ridiculous carbonation barely keeping the white head alive. Standard.

Sweet corn aroma mixes with some spicy grassy hops.

Ultrathin malts struggle against the slight punchy bitterness and overall minimal hop flavor. A little bit of corn on the exhale, but overall finishes dry and clean. Pretty standard.

Light bodied and heavily carbonated with small bubbles.

I wouldn't buy this again, standard run of the mill lager, but my first from India. Why is it that everyone but Europe and America makes ultralight beers? (552 characters)

It's one of the first hot days of Spring (in the 90s today) and so I thought this would be a good way to bring in the warmth- a nice light lager to cool me down and make my day.

I would be remiss if I didn''t say that I am really disappointed. Not a lot to say for this style to start with, but this is not a good one.

Looks like a standard American megabrew adjunct lager- maybe a touch darker yellow. Aroma is almost non existent, and the flavor is sour nasty hops with unpleasant grains. Not much to add to that.

650 ml bottle- this was a drain pour for about 450 ml. Not recommended. (597 characters)

2.63/5  rDev -12%

21 oz bottle at Rangoli's, Brighton, Massachusetts.

Ok after finishing my bottle of Taj Mahal I decided to try something different, and picked this baby. Oh my was it bad. Taj Mahal is not a great beer, but paired with Indian food I find it tasty and satisfying. This was neither. Pale, tasteless and the faint smell of straw was all this beer could muster. They can't all be 5's...or 4's for that matter. Maybe the Kingfisher will be better, I'll try that next time. (470 characters)

3.22/5  rDev +7.7%

Pretty well-charged, a big fizzy head of an inch on a slow pour. Vanishes quickly though. Medium gold and clear appearance. Little lace, mostly dots on the glass. Straw aroma, quite a bit of green apple skin. Some honey to the malt, but very fruity flavor, tart and with more decided apple tones, approaching fermented cider mid mouth. Light body, medium carbonation. Hands off to a crisp hoppiness near the close but with tangy notes remaining. Has a little character, not a favorite of mine, but makes more of an impression than other United Breweries Lagers like Taj Mahal. (576 characters)

3.15/5  rDev +5.4%

I went for some Indian food so, when in Rome...

It was served in a 22 oz. bottle with a little booklet on it saying how great it was.

The beer poured well. It was a pale gold/yellow with a nice head for a light(er) lager. He head vanished pretty quickly, but still laced the glass nicely.

The beer was very lightly hoppy, with a hint of fruit. The beer definitely complements spicy Indian food. It cleanses the palate well, and has a very nice mouth feel and finish. (which is nice if you are eating several different dishes family style.)

I look forward to ordering more of these. (594 characters)

3.46/5  rDev +15.7%

Flying Horse pours an absolutely crystal-clear, deep-golden body that teems with swirling clouds of tiny, effervescent bubbles beneath a long-lasting head of frothy bright-white foam that holds quite well and leaves some nice lacing about the glass. The aroma offers a soft, grainy maltiness and a mildly herbal and grassy hoppiness that's very European. The body is medium with a fine-bubbled carbonation that's crisp on the tongue before allowing it to smoothly fade away. The flavor delivers a unusual maltiness that's a touch sweetish and grainy with an odd, nuttiness to it (as if some wheat was included in the grain bill). The grassy, herbal, and delicately spicy hop flavors are perfectly balanced against the malt and backed by a solid bitterness that could be a bit sharper but still gets the job done. (It's less bitter than most German pilseners, but there's definitely something going on). It finishes dry with a lingering maltiness that's bumped by a swirl of hops and then residual bitterness. It's an impressive lager considering that it's coming out of India (a country not known for it's beer!). And interestingly, this "pils" has a softness and lingering quality to it that works really well with Indian foods. It pairs exceptionally well with the creaminess, delicate spiciness, subtle raisin fruitiness, and cashew nuttiness of Navratan Korma. More of a "food beer" than a Friday night quaffer, but still pretty good regardless. (1,449 characters)

3.32/5  rDev +11%

Pours an ultra clear pale yellow.

Smell is very grainy and grassy. Strong sweet buckwheat smell to this with some perfume.

Taste is rustic and grainy with an almost smoky flavor to it; a slight sour flavor shows up in the background later on.

Mouthfeel is OK.

An OK brew drinkable yet different (306 characters)

3.15/5  rDev +5.4%

Perfectly clear and golden straw in color. Topped with frothy white head that quickly dies out and leaves little lace. Sweet grains dominate the rather nondescript nose--not unpleasant but lacking depth and daring. The same is true of the taste, which is dominated by the almost syrupy malts that far overshadow the hops, though there's a pleasant bit of crispness at the outset. The mouthfeel is reasonably well-balanced, and this beer is surely quite drinkable. But I'm bound to reach for something that promises more character. (530 characters)

3.38/5  rDev +13%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

During lunch at Chicago's Khyber Pass I take a taste of Flying Horse. It proves to be a great match for the Indian food, so I order a bottle of my own. A fairly gentle pour yields a good head for a lager; the slightly yellowish white foam quickly subsides into a wispy film and leaves a decent lacing on the glass. The beer itself is a crystalline golden yellow. It smells fairly unremarkable, which is no surprise for an Indian lager. The scent is hoppy, astringent, and not very complex.

The initial taste is smooth, and a little sweeter than the average lager. Then a crisp, dry, tingly bitterness centers on the middle of my tongue. This moves to the back of the tongue for an astringent and hoppy finish. There's a pronounced metallic bitterness here, but with a hint of woodiness which blunts the metallic tang so that it's not off-putting.

The taste is fairly subtle, but decent. Like most Indian beers I've had the taste is not all that broad. However, elements such as the slight woodiness and sweetness round out the taste enough to bring it up one notch above average. It has a lovely way of bringing out a kind of pepperiness in the Indian food, but aside from that pairing I doubt I'd seek out this beer. (1,224 characters)

2.59/5  rDev -13.4%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

This came in a big 22oz bottle with a little note attached - very impressive and made me expect a good, quality beer. To the review: Pours a boring yellow/golden color with little head and leaves no lacing. The aroma is a bit skunky and yeasty with a bread-like appeal. The flavor is a little sweet, but still has a slight bit of skunkiness to it. Clean taste. Mostly malt in the flavor - very average for a lager. Not hard to drink, but not wonderful either. Nothing special here. (481 characters)

2.48/5  rDev -17.1%

Light gold color, small white foamy head. Aroma is grainy and sweet. A malt liquor/lager. Light malt taste, with a very definite alcohol tang. Good malt/hop balance. Mouthfeel is crisp. Finish is also crisp. Aftertaste is slightly bitter. Better than Kingfisher, I think.. (272 characters)

Flying Horse Royal Lager from United Breweries - UB Group