Kingfisher Premium Lager - United Breweries - UB Group

poor

United Breweries - UB Group
India

American Pale Lager |  4.80% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 03-06-1998)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Kingfisher Premium Lager Alström Bros
mpyle

Maryland

3.78/5  rDev +36.5%

Pale golden color - modest whitish head, brilliant clarity

Noble hop aroma, some candy-like malt aroma

Some initial malt, but good hop flavor and ultimately bitterness rounds out the flavor. Finishes a bit bitter/sweet, but ultimately becomes quite clean.

Highly carbonated, as expected for the style. No major mouthfeel issues.

Flavorful but not overpowering. A bit like a quality German lager, only not quite as good. Better than I would have expected from an Indian brewer, for some reason. I could down a few of these without a problem.

09-08-2007 21:22:13 | More by mpyle
cyrenaica

1.08/5  rDev -61%

330ml bottle
4.8% ABV
I tried this beer on September 4, 2007 after purchasing it from my local LCBO. This was one of the worst beers I have ever tasted. It poured into the glass smoothly with a small white head. The colour was a translucent gold with TONS of effervescence. The aroma was putrid...too much like budwesier. The mouthfeel was very thin and watery, none of the carbonation as seen in the glass. The taste was very reminiscent of North American pale lagers as well...

09-05-2007 03:02:35 | More by cyrenaica
lawman834

3.2/5  rDev +15.5%

A-Light golden. Highly carbonated. Thin head that stayed around awhile.

S-Sweet, maybe a little bit of citrus.

T-Different. Very sweet. It actually made me think of a tequiza or something.

M-Thin, real fizzy.

D-Pretty drinkable....with indian food. I would never choose this for a relaxing drink, but it served it's purpose well.

08-30-2007 02:17:30 | More by lawman834
cjgator3

3.9/5  rDev +40.8%

Green 12oz bottle with no visible date of bottling poured into a pint glass. Pours a golden yellow color with a small white head. The aroma is quite nice with some malt and grassy hops. The taste mimics the aroma with some malt and a spicy and grassy hop finish. Mouthfeel is light and well carbonated. Overall, this is pretty much what I am looking for from a lager. This is a highly drinkable and tasty brew that is recommended.

08-27-2007 01:03:17 | More by cjgator3
goschool

2.53/5  rDev -8.7%

Appearance: The pour bright gold with a large, quickly-fading foamy white head.

Smell: The nose has light malts and inoffensive adjuncts.

Taste: This one has soft biscuity malts and a strange flavor in the mid-palate and finish that tastes like a combination of Saaz hops and skunk.

Mouthfeel: It's light-bodied with plenty of fizzy carbonation.

Drinkability: Kingfisher is a tiny step-up from the average macro lager and it does a good job of rescuing those like me with acid reflux from Indian food.

08-26-2007 05:57:39 | More by goschool
crwills

3.1/5  rDev +11.9%

Ah, Kingfisher. Wherever there be Indian food, there be Kingfisher. I actually had a bunch of these while I was in India recently, although its commonly available at Indian restaurants at home (Toronto).

Anyway -- it does exactly what it's supposed to do, which is counterbalance the spiciness of the cuisine. No real adjuncty notes in the aroma or flavour, which is good. Colour is pale, but not sickly. Carbonation is very high but, again, it's supposed to be to clear the "hot" from your palate. Honestly, in the category of American Macro Lagers, I'd probably rather have this one than most others. And it was great to drink it in its homeland!

08-07-2007 20:26:10 | More by crwills
mikesgroove

South Carolina

2.63/5  rDev -5.1%

Not really so sure why I picked this one up. Probabaly because I had not seen it before, which is the reason I pick up most of my brews. Anyway, hell it was worth a shot right? Poured a dull golden yellow. Small fizzy white head quickly faded leaving only some token lace behind, which iteslef left leaving a dull non carbonated yellow liquid. Smell was musty and grainy, with no really depth too it. The taste followed suit, dull, maybe a tiny bit of bitterness, but otherwise pretty non descript. Decent light mouth feel and a easy drinking are about it on this one. Served cold could be a session beer, but I would rather have it as a forget it beer. Nothing really to see move on.

07-24-2007 01:10:40 | More by mikesgroove
zeff80

Missouri

2.35/5  rDev -15.2%

A - Poured out a golden/yellow color with a bubbly, soapy, white, two-finger head. It left no lace.

S - It smelled of corn and a little bit of skunk.

T - It tasted sweet. The main two flavors were corn and grain.

M - It was crisp and sharp. A light-bodied beer.

D - This is a fairly typical American Macro Lager. It is better than their light beer.

07-14-2007 12:39:26 | More by zeff80
sleazo

2.9/5  rDev +4.7%

Got this at the Fancy foods show.

A-Slightly darker than the typical mass produced AML. A nice stream of bubbles replenishes a one finger head with decent staying power. The fluffy head leaves no lace.

S-Sweetness(corn?) with that imported beer bitterness.

T-Not as sweet as the smell, it actually is quite dry and bitter. Fairly nonn descript but there is enough of a hop bite here to keep me interested. The malt is very light on the tongue with a slightly straw like taste. The grassy hops remain steady all the way through.

M-Slightly above a light body with an agressive ammount of carbonation.

D-in the end this is an alright beer, doesn't offend and it doesn't thrill. I suppose this is one of the better Indian beers available so if I were at an Indian Restaurant I would probably choose this.

07-13-2007 00:22:01 | More by sleazo
zymurgy4all

3.25/5  rDev +17.3%

Overall a regular lager. Slight hint of hops in aroma, pours a clear yellow. It tastes a little bit of hop flavor and nice balance of bitterness to the malts. Nothing special about this lager, but I wouldn't mind having it on tap in Bangalore, India. Leaves a hint of hops in aftertaste.

05-28-2007 04:49:00 | More by zymurgy4all
willjschmidt

Poured into a pint glass. Had it at the Indian Oven in SF.

A: Pours a pale golden yellow, standard macro lager color. Pretty decent sized white head.

S: Light aromas of hops and yeast.

T: Decent hop presence, grainy malts. There is also a bit of sour fruit.

M: Light bodied, lots of carbonation. Crisp, clean, and refreshing.

D: Goes down smooth. This is actually one of the better macro lagers I've had. Much more all-around taste than the standard BMC beers. I had it with Indian food and it the taste still came through all of the curry spices. Certainly wouldn't buy it to have at home but it's not a bad option at an Indian restaurant.

05-21-2007 15:52:37 | More by willjschmidt
BeerSox

2.83/5  rDev +2.2%

12oz green bottle into pint glass.

Ultra clear light straw color with a thick white head that holds well.

Crisp malts with a sweet touch to it.

Biscuity malt with a little bit of a tangy hint. Mild hop bitterness, more than most Maco Lagers. Thin watery body with high carbonation. The finish has a little bit of lingering grain and a bit of lingering hop.

This one is a little hoppier than others in the style, but it's still relatively flavorless and plain.

03-31-2007 23:55:25 | More by BeerSox
JudgeRoughneck

Louisiana

1.8/5  rDev -35%

Appearance- The beer is dingey yellow, with no head, and lots of carbonation.

Aroma- There is none to speak of.

Taste- This beer is sickly-sweet w/ overpowering berry fruit esters. A tart green apple rides the very cidery finish. This is one funky lager. I work at a restaurant that sells this and people seem to like it but as a BA, I can't bring myself to push it.

MF- grippy, stingy

03-24-2007 04:43:57 | More by JudgeRoughneck
Shadman

Alberta (Canada)

2.23/5  rDev -19.5%

Got to admit..it's a nice label..l

let's see how the rest goes....

Looks and acts like a macro..light amber yellow in color..bone white head that lasts about a minute..the lacing must have been left in India 'cause I didn't see any.

some floral hop smell and a touch of metal..uh oh

very bland..watery taste and then POW..metallic taste not unlike my grandparents well water.

fairly flat and a bit oily...if that's possible

would pass if Ice cold and i was in India and couldn't get anything else beer wise...but seeing as I'm not in India...pass

03-20-2007 00:23:59 | More by Shadman
roblowther

2.17/5  rDev -21.7%

Notes compiled from tastings all OVER India. Let me tell you, if you travel to India, this very well may be the only beer you can find. I have a hard time rating this one because the results are dramatically inconsistent. I think that product handling is not a priority in India, even in the 4 and 5 star hotels. Anyway, on with the show. The pour is heady and light straw in color, very clear and very carbonated. The smell is very subdued but has a lemony citrus smell & then hops. The taste is good when you can get one that has been handled properly. The draft ones I had were surprisingly malty & smooth for what I would have called a pilsner. Other than that it was standard hot-country beer but I was pleasantly surprised by the malt note. Many of the bottled samples I tried tasted like wet cardboard but I'll chalk that up to improper care, not brewing. The mouthfeel is nothing to write home about, too thin and watery. Drinkability is this beer's strong suit, again only when you get one in good condition. The malt stands up to spicy food but the light character makes it a refreshing break on a hot afternoon. All in all, better than most beers from its latitude. But that's a bit like picking your prettiest sister to take to the prom.

I'm amending this because I'm now having ANOTHER terrible one and overall I've just had TOO many bad examples and the reader (if there is one for my dribble) deserves to know what they're getting into. If you get one that's been handled badly? It tastes like vinegar. Wow. Just undrinkable. Really, really, retchingly horrible. Makes me want to do a shot of formaldehyde to cleanse my palate.

03-14-2007 14:12:44 | More by roblowther
MrHungryMonkey

2.03/5  rDev -26.7%

Pale yellow, clear. Moderate head that sticks around for 2-3 minutes leaving to trace. Mild carbonation.

Sour/metallic whiff. Hop aromas: citric, floral, mildly piney. Light sweet malt, biscuit/nut.

Same sour/tart/metallic vibe. Thin bodied light malt, sweet and toasty. Spicy citric floral hops provide the tartness. Adequately balanced. Decent carbonation at first, then it just dies to a foamy nast. Finishes dry, metallic, and smoky; I feel like I just smoked a $3 cigar.

Tastes alright - not good, not horrible - definitely better than it smells or feels. Somehow I doubt they use only the "finest malted barley and hops" as it screams corn/rice at me. I wouldn't go out of my way for another, but I wouldn't turn down a cold free one if I was thirsty.

02-25-2007 23:21:13 | More by MrHungryMonkey
bigone4

Rhode Island

3.43/5  rDev +23.8%

I had this at The Garden Indian restaurant in Agawam, MA. The bottle said it was brewed in Saratoga Springs, NY under the supervision from the brewery in Bangalore, India. It was served in a 22oz green bomber that poured a dark golden yellow color. The fluffy white head left a mild lace in the pint. There were smells of pale malt with a mild hint of faint citrus hops in the back ground. It certainly had a decent aroma.

This beer tasted rather light with tones of malt up front. There were some faint hints of caramel and some sweetness in the flavor. The malt was followed up by a slight hint of dry hop flavor in the after taste. It seemed to be very balanced and medium bodied. Decent offering that went down easy. Tasted good with the buffet of Indian food we ate. This brew certainly provided a good mouth feel and a decent flavor. It is very drinkable and would be a decent beer to try again. Not the worst American Macro I have had before. It certainly captures the style.

02-03-2007 22:05:22 | More by bigone4
BlackHaddock

United Kingdom (England)

1.68/5  rDev -39.4%

Green bottle, 330ml, best before Sept 2007, drank 1st Feb 2007.

This Kingfisher was brewed under licence by Sheppard Neame (of Spitfire fame), the UK version is 4.8%, but you would never guess it.

Very light in colour, a pale golden yellow, as most lagers are, so appearance is OK. The white head just disappeared in my 0.4 litre Berliner Kindl straight sleeved glass, by wifes, which was poured into a Hoegaarden Grand Cru glass, stayed longer and the neck around the edge of the glas stayed until she finished the beer. Maybe my manly odours killed the head on my glass.

Lagers don't have great aroma's, well I don't think so, anyway. This one smells dry and boring.

The taste is also dry and boring, might be fine with a curry, but as a stand alone drink, it is poor.

What mouthfeel? There is no taste for a mouthfeel to be reviewed, all that was left after each drink was desire to have a beer, and stop drinking this.

I still have 2 of this 4 pack left, I hope someone I don't like visits soon.

New Bit:
Had on-tap at an Indian Curry House (Dec 2011), a lot better when taken with a hot dish, as I intimated in my original review. Not altered the scores, just letting anybody/everybody know it isn't as bad as my score indicates!

02-01-2007 21:40:26 | More by BlackHaddock
lehows

3.48/5  rDev +25.6%

Had this at an Indian restaurant one night, first thing I noticed was that it was brewed in Saratoga Springs, NY. Pours a golden yellowish color, somewhat hazy. A one finger white head with good retention. Not a whole lot of nose going on here, some faint malt. Taste upfront is tangy and some mild hop bitterness. I found this be a rather pleasant and drinkable beer. Certainly not something I would seek out but would order again if at an Indian restaurant.

12-21-2006 21:54:57 | More by lehows
maddogruss

2.88/5  rDev +4%

Poured the bottle into a glass mug. A nice, light appearance with a thick white head that kind of had a soap-suds look to it, similiar to Corona. The head was well retained throughout the beer with some decent lacing. A interesting, malty smell that reminded me very much of an American Macro (interestingly enough, while claimed to be from India, it was listed as brewed and bottled by an American company; not very pleasing to me considering it came in a "Beer from around the world" sampler I picked up). A smooth, malty taste with a sweet aftertaste. I did not know what to expect here, but it was similiar to Bud mixed with Miller Lite. It was an okay mouthfeel but wasn't overly impressed. Pretty drinkable if you're in the mood for or just prefer a beer with an American Macro flair.

12-13-2006 03:25:05 | More by maddogruss
funkengruven

2.15/5  rDev -22.4%

This bottle apppears to have been contract brewed in the UK by what appears to be Shepherd Neame, who normally produces a decent product. I suppose for everything there are exceptions.

When I opened this bottle, the aroma of skunk was more than predominant, but I didn't let that scare me away. This poured a standard yellow with a ring that sits around the glass, not terrible really. Flavor is very weak, some slight malt and very faint hop character. Extremely watery mouthfeel, very little body, but not that hard to drink.

I suppose this would be ideal with a hot curry but by itself, it's not very good. Perhaps I'll pair with food next time and give another opinion.

12-09-2006 06:15:01 | More by funkengruven
lacqueredmouse

Australia

2.93/5  rDev +5.8%

I find myself drinking this a lot when I eat Indian. Some small part of me tells me that I should stick with an Indian beer.

This one is a short 330ml can from Malaysia. ABV on this one is 5%.

Very pale yellow colour, slightly hazy with chill. Has a reasonably rocky white head, which simmers down quickly. Decent amount of fine carbonation. Lacing? No lacing...

Quite sweet nose, a hint of bitter alkali, and a washed out smell of seltzer water. A little hop note, but not much.

Weak flavour, nonetheless with a clear bitterness somewhere in the mid-palate. Ends with a metallic twang. Mouthfeel rathr smooth, not too prickly.

Good to drink with a curry, but it just doesn't stand up to the test on its own.

11-25-2006 05:10:32 | More by lacqueredmouse
seanyfo

United Kingdom (Scotland)

2.83/5  rDev +2.2%

A- half finger head with golden stereotypical macro lager body, lively carbonation, nothing spectacular

S- Lots of grain and some sweet maltiness, nothing too appetising

T- lots of grainy and sweetness here, a moderate light bitter dry finish, quite refreshing with a heavy indian meal, good washerdowner

M- Mediium carbonation, not watery thin, good balance, just above average macro

D - Pretty standard lager, could drink a fair amount but get bored very easy.

11-20-2006 22:25:25 | More by seanyfo
AChamberlain

3.1/5  rDev +11.9%

This is a typical American macro. On the bottle it said it was brewed and bottled in New York. Served in a pint glass at an Indian restaurant in the village. Gold with half-inch head. Smelled skunky and tasted skunky, similar to Heineken, but not as good. It was easy to drink though, but after a few you'd probably get bored. Skip it.

10-24-2006 01:57:03 | More by AChamberlain
kimcgolf

Georgia

3.1/5  rDev +11.9%

Pours to a dark golden color with thin off-white head, and some lacing. Has the typical grainy aroma, yet not to the point of skunky, like many cheap import lagers. Taste was light and decent, with no real outstanding aspect, and the finish was slightly bitter, yet smooth. Overall, this was better than many of its brethren I’ve had.

10-22-2006 14:13:09 | More by kimcgolf