Kingfisher Premium Lager - United Breweries - UB Group

poor

United Breweries - UB Group
India

American Pale Lager |  4.80% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 03-06-1998)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Kingfisher Premium Lager Alström Bros
maddogruss

2.88/5  rDev +4%

Poured the bottle into a glass mug. A nice, light appearance with a thick white head that kind of had a soap-suds look to it, similiar to Corona. The head was well retained throughout the beer with some decent lacing. A interesting, malty smell that reminded me very much of an American Macro (interestingly enough, while claimed to be from India, it was listed as brewed and bottled by an American company; not very pleasing to me considering it came in a "Beer from around the world" sampler I picked up). A smooth, malty taste with a sweet aftertaste. I did not know what to expect here, but it was similiar to Bud mixed with Miller Lite. It was an okay mouthfeel but wasn't overly impressed. Pretty drinkable if you're in the mood for or just prefer a beer with an American Macro flair.

12-13-2006 03:25:05 | More by maddogruss
funkengruven

2.15/5  rDev -22.4%

This bottle apppears to have been contract brewed in the UK by what appears to be Shepherd Neame, who normally produces a decent product. I suppose for everything there are exceptions.

When I opened this bottle, the aroma of skunk was more than predominant, but I didn't let that scare me away. This poured a standard yellow with a ring that sits around the glass, not terrible really. Flavor is very weak, some slight malt and very faint hop character. Extremely watery mouthfeel, very little body, but not that hard to drink.

I suppose this would be ideal with a hot curry but by itself, it's not very good. Perhaps I'll pair with food next time and give another opinion.

12-09-2006 06:15:01 | More by funkengruven
lacqueredmouse

2.93/5  rDev +5.8%

I find myself drinking this a lot when I eat Indian. Some small part of me tells me that I should stick with an Indian beer.

This one is a short 330ml can from Malaysia. ABV on this one is 5%.

Very pale yellow colour, slightly hazy with chill. Has a reasonably rocky white head, which simmers down quickly. Decent amount of fine carbonation. Lacing? No lacing...

Quite sweet nose, a hint of bitter alkali, and a washed out smell of seltzer water. A little hop note, but not much.

Weak flavour, nonetheless with a clear bitterness somewhere in the mid-palate. Ends with a metallic twang. Mouthfeel rathr smooth, not too prickly.

Good to drink with a curry, but it just doesn't stand up to the test on its own.

11-25-2006 05:10:32 | More by lacqueredmouse
seanyfo

United Kingdom (Scotland)

2.83/5  rDev +2.2%

A- half finger head with golden stereotypical macro lager body, lively carbonation, nothing spectacular

S- Lots of grain and some sweet maltiness, nothing too appetising

T- lots of grainy and sweetness here, a moderate light bitter dry finish, quite refreshing with a heavy indian meal, good washerdowner

M- Mediium carbonation, not watery thin, good balance, just above average macro

D - Pretty standard lager, could drink a fair amount but get bored very easy.

11-20-2006 22:25:25 | More by seanyfo
AChamberlain

3.1/5  rDev +11.9%

This is a typical American macro. On the bottle it said it was brewed and bottled in New York. Served in a pint glass at an Indian restaurant in the village. Gold with half-inch head. Smelled skunky and tasted skunky, similar to Heineken, but not as good. It was easy to drink though, but after a few you'd probably get bored. Skip it.

10-24-2006 01:57:03 | More by AChamberlain
kimcgolf

Georgia

3.1/5  rDev +11.9%

Pours to a dark golden color with thin off-white head, and some lacing. Has the typical grainy aroma, yet not to the point of skunky, like many cheap import lagers. Taste was light and decent, with no real outstanding aspect, and the finish was slightly bitter, yet smooth. Overall, this was better than many of its brethren I’ve had.

10-22-2006 14:13:09 | More by kimcgolf
daliandragon

2.88/5  rDev +4%

This is one of those beers I've had an attachment to for whatever reason, probably because no matter where you are in the world (at least in the USA, UK, Poland, and Hong Kong for sure), if you find an Indian restaurant, you can chase your meal down with a 660ml ice cold Kingfisher. It's a nice security blanket, even if it's just more macrononsense on its own.

Enjoyed this one with some Bengal lentils I whipped up for the Ohio St-Iowa game tonight. Pours a handsome clear golden without more than a cap of head but plenty of visible carbonation. Nose is fresh with yeast but mostly contains sour adjuncts. Taste is dry and has a chunk of chasing bitterness but it's not as clean as I'd normaly like although decent for cleaning up extra turmeric and ginger from the palate. The spicier the food, the better this will hold up. Mouthfeel is ordinary at best; too many bubbles that hinder the already injured taste. Good for curry, chutney etc but not really for everyday consumption

10-01-2006 03:57:57 | More by daliandragon
cameraman

Kentucky

1.88/5  rDev -32.1%

A light yellow color, with visible carbonation and eight of an inch white head. The scent of roasted barley, with a touch of hop aroma. The taste is pretty bland, the flavor of the barley is evident, but nothing to spectacular. Watery in the mouth, the carbonation leaves a tinglingsensation on the palate. Nothing to great, a below average beer.

09-10-2006 16:10:42 | More by cameraman
hunteraw

China

2.33/5  rDev -15.9%

Typical macro lager color, with a small head that leaves no lacing. Not great looking.

Smell: vaguely adjuncty, straw, malty

Taste: Malt is definitely dominant here, with not enough hops to balance. The hops that are present are kind of skunky, I guess the green bottle is to blame. As it warms up, rice flavors definitely show up.

Mouthfeel: Lower than usual carbonation for the style - it could have used more. Body is a little heftier than typical for the style.

Drinkability: I'll pass, thanks. I've had three Indian beers now and none of them have been at all impressive - for the sake of the subcontinent, I hope it's just that the good stuff isn't being imported.

08-24-2006 00:23:43 | More by hunteraw
SkeeterHawk

2.05/5  rDev -26%

Appearance: Pours a pretty cloudy yellow gold color with very little (1/8") head of white bubbles. The head was gone within a few seconds to end up looking kinda like a glass of lemonade.

Aroma: The aroma is very grainy with a noticeable corny presence. There is definitely hops in here, and they partially lend a skunky aroma from the green bottle I guess.

Taste: The flavor is equally as grainy, and it tastes to me like a beer that was over sparged. The corn shines through into the flavor. After a few sips, the flavor gets more tolerable. The aftertaste is also a bit harsh and leaves a bitterness to linger for some time. I don't think that this bitterness is as much due to the hops as from the grainy over-sparging effect. There is no alcohol noticeable.

Opinion: Well, I was pretty disappointed in this beer. From the appearance to the flavor, this beer leaves a lot to be desired. The sad part about it is (I believe) that these are no defects due to handling or age, but in the processes at the brewery. It may be too alkaline of water, but I think that it is over sparging. The result of pinching the pennies too tight. I suggest drinking something else.

08-05-2006 22:13:52 | More by SkeeterHawk
Drew966

3.4/5  rDev +22.7%

Kingfisher Lager is Indian beer contract brewed in New York. It pours a light orange with a white head from a green twelve ounce bottle. It has a fairly nice aroma, citrusy and a bit of malt. Not too bad flavor wise, nice hoppy touch, decent malt flavor as well. Somewhat grainy too. Better than I expected, I'd take this over b/m/c.

07-18-2006 00:14:05 | More by Drew966
acrawf6

Louisiana

2.5/5  rDev -9.7%

Pours out a clear straw with a small white head that drops to a small ring around the beer.

Smell. smells neutral but small maltiness. grainy and sweet.

Taste. Ehh, i dont really like this. has a corn syrup taste to it, so it is sweet. not a horrible flavor though. it's almost a natural honey taste. aftertaste is neutral

Mouthfeel is ok. good amount of carbonation. balance is what's expected. body is light.

Overall not one i doubt i will ever get again, but not a horrible beer.

07-10-2006 05:54:14 | More by acrawf6
danielharper

2.98/5  rDev +7.6%

Purchased from Great Spirits, Huntsville, AL.

How many macro lagers is it really necessary to review? All of them, I guess...

A: Pours a transparent, yellow-orange body with a thin white head that dissipates quickly. A bit darker than expected, and the head was a bit more substantial than usual, so I'm giving it an average rating.

S: Sweet, syrupy corn aroma. No hops in nose, no real fruit. Not unpleasant, but nothing really to latch on to.

T: Wow, that's interesting -- slight citrus notes, almost an orangey flavor up front, with a dry malty aftertaste. Very macrolike in its overall flavor, but with a sweet tartness that I wasn't expecting.

M: Thin, slightly grainy. Goes down smooth, I suppose.

D: Overall, not really my cup of tea, but it's quite nice for a macro. I wouldn't buy a sixpack, but if it was offered to me I'd certainly drink it.

07-01-2006 23:19:01 | More by danielharper
BamaWorKs

Kentucky

3.05/5  rDev +10.1%

I had this beer at my local indian restaurant with a tasty meal, and figured if I'm eating indian food, might as well hit up the indian beer. I do the same thing in Mexican restaurants so... here we go!

It was quite pale (which is to be expected) with very minimal head. The flavor wasn't too bad, it tasted a lot like premium American lager, with an interesting flavor at the backend. A little more bitter I suppose. The best quality was how it is engineered to be eaten with the indian dish. The beer and the dish went very well, and while the flavor isn't anything special, and in fact quite ordinary, it goes very well with the meal, which is it's designated purpose and I found it to be not a bad brew when I eat indian. I'll be sure to order another next time I'm out!

06-08-2006 20:28:12 | More by BamaWorKs
GratefulBeerGuy

New Hampshire

2.83/5  rDev +2.2%

Ordered this beer with my meal at a local Indian restaurant.

Poured a thin golden color with a thin white head maybe 1/2" thick and stuck aroubd for a few minutes. Looks fresh.

classic thin american lager hop smell.

This is basically a step up from budweiser, the hops and freshness might be just a slight step up here. not Toooo bad for a high-volume american lager.

kinda thin on the pallate, not exactly bursting with an array of tastes. It is fresh and clean and has a good bit of carbonation.

I could drink a bunch of these physically, but mentally I might burn out around 3 or 4. Not too bad with a good meal. It wouldn't fair as well alone.

06-05-2006 20:25:45 | More by GratefulBeerGuy
jarmby1711

2.83/5  rDev +2.2%

A crystal clear beer , that was a deepish gold in colour maintaing a small white head after a vigorous poor.
There was very little bubble.
THesmell was very watery predominated by a metallic quality over a vague maltiness.
The initial taste is inapparent and you think , What is this ? and then there is that vague maltiness just prior to a reasonably bitter finish finalises the who;e thing.
Somewhat surprisingly the beer feels oily/smooth in the mouth which is in contradiction to the watery qualities previosly noted.This oiliness balances well with the bitterness.
This is an unpretentious macro lager that is a passable drink but certainly not one I would seek out with enthusiasm

05-21-2006 23:25:16 | More by jarmby1711
allergictomacros

Ontario (Canada)

A - Big foamy head that lasts about 3 seconds. Liquid is clear straw.

S - Slightly skunky metallic macro smell. Slightly soapy as well.

T - No aftertaste and very little bitterness. Bland, but inoffensive.

M - Maybe the strong point of this beer. Medium body for a macro, and carbonation isn't crazy high.

D - Alright I guess. Not good, not bad. Easy drinking.

05-13-2006 19:13:14 | More by allergictomacros
LPorter33

3.3/5  rDev +19.1%

Drank this stuff like water during my 10 days in India. It's not bad. Has an entertaining sweetness to the malt that makes a welcome appearance towards the end of the taste spectrum. Good drinkability and above average taste for a macro lager. Reminds me of PBR. It's probably the best beer you'll find in the country.

05-09-2006 12:10:54 | More by LPorter33
pootz

2.78/5  rDev +0.4%

First time tasting the macro euro lagers sold as Indian beer.

This one pours a light pale straw colored lager with enormous soda pop carbonation bubbles...weak head lasts seconds and disappears....

....nice floral saaz/noble snap in the aroma, like Beck’s but with undetectable malt. Weak body, sandy, dry crisp mouth feel...

....Fast bland lightly sweet but clean flavor, a wee bit of lemony hop mixed with drying brewer’s rice tastes and overpowering carbonation...fast dry clean finish. A very bland, dry rice beer tarted up with some pilsner aromas

04-28-2006 19:43:35 | More by pootz
DaveFL1976

2.98/5  rDev +7.6%

For a thorough review of this beer, please see every other macro-lager review ever written on this site.

Pour it in a glass. It could be Coors Light. It could be Foster's. Maybe it's Corona. Wait, it's not that bad.

Actually there's nothing revolting about this beer at all. It's just an average, run of the mill macro lager.

04-04-2006 03:18:39 | More by DaveFL1976
trevorwideman

Manitoba (Canada)

2.83/5  rDev +2.2%

330ml Bottle, bought as part of a quest to make my way through all the Asian beers at the LC, but I'm not all that excited by the reviews I'm reading. Expires next month. Oh well, we'll give it a try.

Pours a pale straw lager colour, nothing special. Not much in the way of a head either, even when poured into a Pilsener glass. Low carbonation, very slight lacing.

Smell is definitely that of a beer that's been under the lights at the LC for awhile, served in a green bottle too. Mildly skunky with a cloying malty sweetness underneath. There's a sticky and grassy hop presence there too, but it's mild and a bit hidden. Nothing unexpected here.

Taste is very light, but more hops than I expected. Corn adjuncts are in there, a slight nutty maltiness, nothing too exciting at all, but better balanced than I thought it would be. Mouthfeel is rather thin and uneventful.

All in all, this is certainly no better than any Euro Lager I've ever had, very similar to Grolsch in many respects, but without that great swing-top bottle...

03-31-2006 01:19:47 | More by trevorwideman
Viggo

2.55/5  rDev -7.9%

Pours a clear golden, medium fluffy white head, some lacing and decent retention. Smell is skunky, sweet malt and citrus, vanilla. Taste is malty, with some skunk, citrus, and grains. Mouthfeel is light bodied with low carbonation. Not bad other than the skunk, refreshing.

02-23-2006 23:15:26 | More by Viggo
Finite

3.33/5  rDev +20.2%

Appearance: Golden, little to no head or retention and only a tiny bit of lacing. Large bubbles.

Smell: definite citrus hop character maybe a little grassy too. Some malt there too but the hops are strong in the smell.

Taste/ Mouthfeel: Quite nice citrus or piney hops character a little oily on the palate heavy carbonation but finishes quite smooth and oily with some nice malts balancing out.

Drinkability/Overall: Not a bad brew. Would go down a real treat with some butter chicken on a hot day.

01-29-2006 07:19:23 | More by Finite
hylton44

3.03/5  rDev +9.4%

I had this with Indian food, and I recognize I may be a little kind with respect to its relative mildness, given the spicy nature of the food I was eating.

Nice head on the thing, and the smell was rich and a little fruity/citrusy. I saw a few other reviewers here that noted some skunkiness with their bottles. Having no knowledge of or control over how this bottle was stored before it was served to me, I guess I just lucked out. It was not skunked in the least.

The taste was mild and, again, just a lttle citrusy. Richer than most macros but still somewhat watery and then a fairly fast finish, and done.

01-17-2006 02:43:21 | More by hylton44
BuckeyeNation

Iowa

2.08/5  rDev -24.9%

Pale amber with a minimum of floaty bits. The off-white head looks too insubstantial to last or to provide much lace (it does neither). It isn't quite as transient or as mealy as the heads on BMC lagers, but it's no superstar either. Barely acceptable, uninspiring, bland.

There was a huge blast of skunkitude when the cap was popped. Although it's still lingering, it's fading by the minute. The nose isn't horrible. For instance, it doesn't force me to keep my nose over the glass only long enough to form an impression, like some beer of this style. The beer smells like lightly sweet grain and little else.

Kingfisher is one of the least flavorful pale lagers that I've had in a very long time. With each sip I'm more and more astounded that there's so little substance. I usually reserve truly low scores for truly offensive beer. In those instances where there's so little to go on, I struggle with assigning numbers. Better to ignore the numbers and know that this is nothing more than a ghost of a lager. Beer-flavored water at best.

It does no good to talk about malt and hops since neither one makes much of a contribution. The beer isn't sweet and it's only marginally bitter. Think Bud Light (with its nastier aspects removed) cut with a generous portion of distilled water. Needless to say, the 'finish' begins as soon as beer enters mouth and the body feels like it has a specific gravity approaching 1.000.

I'm amazed to discover that Kingfisher Lager is 'the best selling Indian lager world-wide' and is now brewed by 17 breweries around the world. This particular bottle was brewed in Saratoga Springs, NY. I've had a bottle or two with Indian food in the past and wasn't impressed. Solo, it's even less impressive. Bottom line: avoid unless dehydrated.

01-02-2006 14:18:40 | More by BuckeyeNation