Taj Mahal Premium Lager - United Breweries - UB Group

awful

United Breweries - UB Group
India

American Adjunct Lager |  4.50% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 03-08-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Taj Mahal Premium Lager Alström Bros
Weizenmensch

Japan

2.25/5  rDev -12.8%

330mL bottle, best before end 09/05.

Appearance: Pours with an average amount of head which quickly dissipates, leaving virtually nil by the middle of the beer. Lots of moist lacing. Pale yellow colour, lots of unusually small bubbles.

Smell: Nothing recognisable - mild vegetable aroma without too many additives. No pleasant hops or anything to make it stand out from the crowd.

Taste: Grain, mild alcohol and some strange sticky chemical taste in the back of the mouth. Goes down fairly easily - adjuncts are not too distracting. Best served very cold, it's quite refreshing.

Mouthfeel: Not too bad, but a bit rough around the edges.

Drinkability: If this is what they drink in Bombay, and it's cheaper there, my trip later in the year won't be so bad. I'm not expecting a fine pale ale to go with my curries. However, I don't think I'll be drinking it in Australia again... too expensive and too uninteresting.

Notes: The bottle states "Slow brewed for the Connoisseur". Does this mean anything? Is this the Indian way of flattering the consumer into buying this product? At least there's a nice picture of the eponymous building on the label.

07-13-2005 13:57:57 | More by Weizenmensch
walleye

2.4/5  rDev -7%

from the bottle in a india rest. poured a hazy golden with a white head. aroma malts some hops, fruity, and citrus. flavor now this will sound strange as I was sitting there waiting for my food trying to figure what that taste was my wife took a sip and said olive oil and that was it. the couple that was with us agreed. and that is about all I got maybe hints of malt

05-10-2005 01:13:33 | More by walleye
RushLimbmalt

1.05/5  rDev -59.3%

Awful, just plain awful... It looks pretty average for macro swill, but the rest of the beer is so bad it detracts from what little it has going for it in the appearance department. It has a terrible sweet corny aroma and some other garbage like smell. Maybe it's the water. The taste is sweet for a fraction of a second and then a horrible bitterness takes over and kills the rest of the experience. I expected better and was blown away at how bad this beer is. Buddha would be ashamed...

05-03-2005 07:20:32 | More by RushLimbmalt
WMBierguy

Maryland

2.75/5  rDev +6.6%

I bought this beer solely because I had never before tried an Indian beer. In the end, it turned out the that the best thing about the beer was the bottle, a big, shapely Pint and 6 bottle. The beer is a golden yellow and is constantly bubbling. It had a respectable head, much better than a Budweiser's but not impressive when compared to the average import. The first taste was a bit more bitter than I had expected from a lager, but the only thing remarkable about the subsequent flavor wsa just how bland the beer was. This beer isn't that good, but it isn't that bad. You'll forget what it tastes like 5 minutes after you finish it. Try it if you find it, but don't bother to make an effort searching for it.

05-01-2005 00:47:34 | More by WMBierguy
rhoadsrage

2.53/5  rDev -1.9%

(Served in an imperial pint glass)

A- Straw yellow in color with a crystal clear body. High carbonation and a big white creamy head.

S- sweet aroma with a hint of unmalted grain or corn and a hint of yeasty characteristics.

T- tangy corn taste with an sweet grain taste to follow. The finish is pretty clean but a little acidic.

M- medium light body with lots of fizz in the mouthfeel and a slight astringent finish.

D-This beer has a very light and simple flavor. The carbonation really dominates and the adjuncts play the supporting role. Malt and hops play a very small role in this beer

04-06-2005 00:54:51 | More by rhoadsrage
fdrich29

22 oz bottle from Rangoli's in Brighton, Massachusetts.

Went here last night with my fiance for Valentine's Day and automatically ordered a Taj Mahal with dinner. Whenever I've gone to an Indian restaurant I've always ordered this beer and have always liked it. Would I like it outside of the restaurant? Nope, wouldn't even give it a second look. Somehow paired with this food it's almost magical, and tastes much better than the Schlitz that it most resembles.

02-16-2005 04:19:23 | More by fdrich29
MuddyFeet

2.65/5  rDev +2.7%

Surprised by this beer. My few samplings of Indian beer have been much worse, but this one was not bad. Served extremely cold, but got better as it warmed up and the malts came out a little bit more. It poured a pale yellow in color with heavy carbonation. The head was shockingly thick with very dense bubbles. The aroma was slightly sweet, with a mild hop tone. The taste was not particularly complex, basic lager malts and hops. But it was a tad sweeter than expected, not really much of a bite.

02-13-2005 02:41:50 | More by MuddyFeet
aquaderek

Got this beer at an indian resturaunt. It came in a 22 oz. bottle. When poured into glass, a small head formed and dissipated very quickly. It had the standard adjunct lager, golden yellow apperance. I could only really pick up a malty smell from it. The taste was what you would expect from a cheap american lager with maltier notes. For the price I paid, I just would have assumed getting a couple of cheaper american beers.

01-22-2005 18:02:48 | More by aquaderek
jvajda

2.48/5  rDev -3.9%

Appearance: Standard light lager look. Small head fizzles out fast.
Smell: Old maltiness and water.
Taste: Not the worst lager out there, but it sure wasn't worth the $7 I paid for it at an Indian restaraunt. It's not sickening like a really cheap lager. That's about all it's got going for it.
Mouthfeel: Crisp and light.
Drinkability: Next.

01-22-2005 03:55:55 | More by jvajda
ceaser

4.28/5  rDev +65.9%

This goes under weird tasting beer. It makes me want to eat a big Indian curry feast but without the Indian cuisine it's pretty shabby. Pick up a bottle next time you goto the Indian restauraunt for some good food because it's almost like it's meant to taste good with food only.

later added!!!!: i was doin some shrooms okay :\ and i preluded the onset with this beer. i am a big lover or the indian food. this shit tastes just like naan bread if it were a liquid (if you can grasp my meaning there). i like it and it is fricking weird but i have to give it a higher ranking for what it is: a strange ass brew! IF U WANT NAAN BREAD IN A BOTTLE THEN HERE'S YOUR TICKET MATE!!! :d

09-10-2004 17:42:13 | More by ceaser
IronDjinn

Alberta (Canada)

1.2/5  rDev -53.5%

At first sip I was hoping this stuff had already gone over, but checking the best before date on the back it was still in the ballpark. So there are no unforeseen circumstantial factors getting in the way of what follows....

Forget the worst beer or lowest scorer I've sampled to date, this bodyslams it all through the mat, and then chews on a turnbuckle for good measure. This stuff is bad, and the "Slow Brewed For the Connoisseur" claim on the neck label is several thousand degrees beyond false advertising.

It pours out of it's sturdy 330ml brown bottle a flaccid pale yellow, more like apple juice than any fermented malt beverage I have ever laid eyes upon. The aroma is reminiscent of sour, rancid bandaids, as well as cider that has been sitting out for a week from that party you were too lazy to clean up after. Flavour is beyond words, I've poured out my own bad batch homebrew that tasted far superior to this. I've poured out store bought beer that makes me think back fondly compared to this. If I'm ever trapped in a mine for more than a few days and am forced to drink my own urine, then it will be shortly after that experience that I will confirm that this "beer" tastes very similar to it.

I don't mean to intentionally slam, haze or rant about this stuff, but it's truly awful. If you see it on the shelf avert your eyes and hastily run away, it may take on other, more demonic forms.

09-06-2004 16:34:08 | More by IronDjinn
koolkat

United Kingdom (England)

2.93/5  rDev +13.6%

This beer pours a nice very pale yellow. More color than a fizzy yellow macro, but not much. The head is significant then diminishes to nothing. The most interesting quality about this beer is that it has some estery almost flowery tastes present. Not excellent but not unpleasant either.

I had this with a nice hot rogan josh that I made and kicked the spice up a couple of notches. This beer cut through the spice well and I can see why it would do well in india. Not a beer I would sip and savor but it goes well with a fine curry.

09-05-2004 00:25:55 | More by koolkat
tar

Bahamas

2.05/5  rDev -20.5%

Manufactured 11/03; Batch #792; "Slow brewed for the connoisseur."

Pours from the 650 ml bottle a light golden, with a one centimeter thick white head. A bit of sticky lace remains on the glass. Not a great smelling beer. The aroma is not particularly strong--in fact its almost not there, but what there is, is not good. Fairly mild, unpleasant taste. Some malt flavors with a bit of hops present in the slightly bitter finish. I'm not sure how I'm going to get through all 22 oz. of this stuff--hopefully one of my roommates will come home and finish it. Leaves a weird feeling on the tongue, a bit oily perhaps. Not a smooth beer, medium to thin bodied. I would not recommend this beer, and certainly will not have it again.

06-18-2004 19:22:49 | More by tar
BadBadger

3.63/5  rDev +40.7%

Serving a 500ml bottle. This pleasant lager is best enjoyed nicely chilled. The smell is a pleasant mixture of hops and malt, as is the refreshing taste. The beer pours a very light golden color. There is a nice head formation. This is an enjoyable import from India.

06-08-2004 02:53:52 | More by BadBadger
beergeek279

2.03/5  rDev -21.3%

Served in the 22 oz. bottle, into a pint glass. The color is golden, with a layer of bubbly white head. The smell is a very slight lighter malt. The taste is a very horribly lightstruck off-taste, with an off-taste that remains in the background. Mouthfeel is average. As for drinkability, this isn't one I'd drink again.

Well, I had another country, so that's good, but that's all here. Just not a good beer, even for a light lager, and this certainly isn't one I'm going to have in the future.

05-18-2004 23:07:51 | More by beergeek279
WesWes

2.8/5  rDev +8.5%

The beer pours a pale gold color with a thick frothy white head. The aroma is decent. It boasts of mainly pale malts and lager yeast. It has a slight grainy scent. The taste is horrible. It is extremely light and watery with an intense musty aftertaste. The mouthfeel is average. It is a low bodied beer with decent carbonation. This was a real disappointment. This is a less than average lager.

03-05-2004 22:53:38 | More by WesWes
RoyalT

3.5/5  rDev +35.7%

Appearance – Light yellow with a tinge of orange and some active carbonation. The head frothed up pretty well and went down slowly, leaving a bit of lacing.

Smell – The grain and sucrose aroma seems smoother here than in most of the other Pale Lagers that I’ve had.

Taste – This wasn’t as bad as I thought it was going to be. The ricey grain notes are subtle enough not to offend, and the sweetness doesn’t make me want to puck like it does in most other examples of the style. There’s also a hint of actual floral hops in here. Amazing.

Mouthfeel – This was a little above light-bodied and somewhat smooth. The carbonation was light but not cheap and fizzy.

Drinkability – Yes, I’ll actually finish this bomber off myself (as opposed to sharing it with that Pale Lager-loving friend of mine, Mr. Sink). It’s still winter here in Seattle but I’ll bet this would be downright refreshing on a hot summer’s day.

02-26-2004 02:23:44 | More by RoyalT
Brent

Kentucky

Falls into my "not as bad as I expected" category, which usually means I like a beer more than I otherwise should. Twisted, huh? Here, in addition to the beaten-up condition of the bottle, my distrust was due to the fact that, in at least three places on the label, it proudly proclaimed that it was "slow brewed for the connoisseur" - if a beer has to tell me that blatently how good it is, it probably isn't.

Poured a straw gold with soda-fizzy carbonation. Aroma was indistinct, with some sourish notes. Flavor was muted, with some grainy tartness that lent a dry aspect to the beer. A bit of green grass, but the predominent aspect was a moderated acidity that finished up rather well. Can certainly hold its own against domestic macro brews of the same class.

01-12-2004 14:28:09 | More by Brent
ManekiNeko

3.48/5  rDev +34.9%

22 oz. bottle served chilled in a Maharaja/Taj Mahal pilsener glass at a local Indian restaurant.

Appearance: Pale straw yellow topped by a smallish white head. Not much in the way of retention, but little blotches of foam were left on the glass as the beer was consumed.

Smell: A nice amount of light German-style hopping, quite grassy and floral. A nice presence of malt on the nose as well.

Taste: Bready, sweet light malt flavors with a splash of grassy hop flavors on the finish. Apple notes occasionally.

Mouthfeel: Quite light and crisp. Pretty darn refreshing.

Drinkability: Quite a decent lager, I thought. I may be inflating the scores a bit as I was expecting this to be mediocre and was pleasantly surprised. Worth getting if you're eating Indian food - it accompanied the mulligatawny soup, naan, and festival of tandoori meat I had rather well.

12-26-2003 15:01:43 | More by ManekiNeko
Gavage

2.3/5  rDev -10.9%

Pours a dull gold color with a thin head that quickly disappeared. Huge carbonation bubbles stuck to the bottom of the glass. Very little malt aroma detected. The taste is weak, thin bodied, and some malt is the there while no enjoyable hop flavor can be found. The limited bitterness is almost like vinegar.

The mouthfeel starts off with a sharp crisp bite on the tongue that fades to a dry feeling rather quickly. Stated four times on the bottle "Slow brewed for the connoisseur", the brewery should retract that statement immediately. Seems like they should change it to "Lazily brewed for average Joes".

11-21-2003 12:05:49 | More by Gavage
clvand0

Kentucky

2.68/5  rDev +3.9%

Pours a very clean yellow. Has a great fluffy pure white head about one finger thick that sticks around throughtout. Also has great carbonation - fizzing the whole time. The aroma is a little skunky, but not bad. The flavor is somewhat skunky just like the aroma. A little hoppy and not very smooth. The malts are evident, but not enjoyed. This beer is moderate at best.

11-17-2003 13:41:59 | More by clvand0
GeoffFromSJ

1.93/5  rDev -25.2%

This beer tasted like sparkling cider. It was incredibly fizzy. It poured with a head that lasted for all of about 5 seconds. No discernable smell, but since I do not have a great sense of smell I'll give it some slack. The carbonation gives it a poor mouthfeel.

I would definitely never seek this out again. I had this for a somewhat reasonable price at an Indian restaraunt. At the same time it was way too expensive given its quality.

11-09-2003 21:52:36 | More by GeoffFromSJ
ViveLaChouffe

Georgia

2.25/5  rDev -12.8%

From a 22oz. bottle ordered in an Indian restaurant.

Pours a bright straw color with a white fizzy head. Smells a bit of apple and not much else.

Probably more malt in this lager than most cheap beers. Has some body to it. It's sweet with a dry finish. Not much hops to speak of. The closest beer this resembles is Samuel Smith's Pure Brewed Lager but it is a vague shadow of that beer. Light bodied and easy to drink. The best compliment I have for this beer is it's not as bad as I expected.

10-26-2003 22:21:01 | More by ViveLaChouffe
TerryW

Ontario (Canada)

2.13/5  rDev -17.4%

Clear golden yellow with not much of a head and no lace.

Smells slightly fruity with only a hint of any hops. Quite sharp on the tongue by way of the carbonation. Quite crisp. But nothing real there tastewise. No aftertaste either.

Sorry, but this really didn't distinguish itself in any particular way. Forgetable.

10-22-2003 23:43:20 | More by TerryW
bmacaskill

Ontario (Canada)

2.6/5  rDev +0.8%

Overrated, I think. I bought it for the novelty, yet I am barely convinced that the grainy taste of this beer is worth the buying price.

Slightly hoppy ( a down-side, in my opinion), mildly fizzy, and just barely palatable.

The label says "Slow brewed for the connoisseur."

Perhaps they should have taken more time.

09-13-2003 22:59:00 | More by bmacaskill