2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Andechser Doppelbock Dunkel - Klosterbrauerei Andechs

Andechser Doppelbock DunkelAndechser Doppelbock Dunkel

Klosterbrauerei Andechs visit their website

Doppelbock |  7.10% ABV

This world famous bock from Bavaria’s Holy Mountain is not meant to be rushed, but savoured slowly. As solid as a rock, Andechser Doppelbock Dunkel presides over the evening meal with a colour reminiscent of dark copper with nuances of fiery red. Its clear gleaming look harmonises with its firm, fine pored head.

Also the aroma delights the connoisseur: soft roasted accents and a nuance of dried fruit carrying a vein of caramel. This Doppelbock Dunkel from Bavaria’s Holy Mountain presents a pleasant effervescence. And then there’s the unmistakable flavour: mouthcoating and velvety, strong and yet pleasantly malty – a powerful, robust body. At the same time, it develops an easily recognisable sweetness, embraced in roasted cocoa and a light, bitter hoppiness.

Concluding with a powerful punch, this Doppelbock departs with a lingering aftertaste of quality plain chocolate. A strong Doppelbock that embodies the centuries old Benedictine brewing tradition, sip by delicious sip.

(Beer added by: Bierman9 on 06-16-2002)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 584 | Reviews: 339 | Show All Ratings:
sponberg

(1/04 update: Shared two bottles of this with friends over the holidays after they hand-carried them back from Germany. I'd give it solid 6s across the board if it were allowed. It has no equal.)

Finally the bottle and glass were empty, and I cried...

Dark amber/auburn color with a white head that starts firm and gradually goes down to a thin persistent lace. The aroma is a complex maltiness that's one of the seven greatest smells on earth.

One sip fills your mouth with every non-roasted malt flavor there is - raisin, blackcurrant, caramel, toast, chocolate, toffee... I could go on all day. The malt fruitiness & multifaceted lager sweetness (triple decoction? Quadruple?) is just balanced by a background bitterness. The alcohol is present, subtly, and in perfect balance with all of the other flavors. The finish is extraordinarily round, with a bit of licorice waaay in the background. Leaves every single tastebud in the mouth happy.

This beer is proof that the monks are indeed closer to a God than we are.

Note: Heavyweight used this yeast strain in Perkuno's Hammer Imperial Porter.

07-10-2002 05:48:35 | More by sponberg
bierman2000

Maybe one of the smoothest dopplebock in the world. Tastes in Munich at the Kloster-Andechs special restaurant, near St. Peter's church and close to the Marienplatz. Dark, delicious and very drinkable, the alcohol creeps up on you at the end of a couple half liters.

02-05-2003 14:49:37 | More by bierman2000
TheDM

Indiana

What else can I say but simply, the best beer I have ever had! Small fine bubbles, heavy flavor, full bodied, no foul after taste or bitterness. Extremely smooth.

Im Himmel gibt es kein bier!
Darum trinken vir Andechs heir!

Translation:
In Heaven there is no beer!
That is why we drink Andechs here!

03-16-2003 07:17:54 | More by TheDM
Hobbz

Rhode Island

One of the greatest of all beers on this planet is this monks' simple doppelbock. "Enjoyment for body and soul" it is written on the bottle... But this review is for the fresh, sprit-awakening stuff poured on-tap from the monastery atop the "sacred mountain" outside of Munich.

I have been awaiting review since my 'de-virgining' (from tasting notes from a gorgeous, eventful day outside at the monastery, 09/22/03) -- just waiting for the right time to dignify it with a review (and an otherwise 'unworthy' attempt at translating exaltation). This is a good time, as I am also enjoying one of my remaining few bottles of Andechs I had taken back with me...

The Andechs doppelbock is not as dark or thick as some, but has every bit the flavor. I love how the monks' yeast (also aging?) produces such pleasant, earthy-like notes (almost like a refined and classy, taste-enhancing & good 'mustiness'): It is amazing how a set of few, simple, simple ingredients can translate into such an enormity of taste! I enjoyed its character in every way and was just so darn drinkable (then reminding myself it was a double bock and breakfast).

Truly a beer to be sought.

12-12-2003 03:17:32 | More by Hobbz
francisweizen

Arizona

On-Tap! At De Vildeman in Amsterdam, Holland. I've heard much about this brew, but when I failed to get a bottle from Germany, I decided to try this when I actually saw it on tap! I'm really glad that I did, as this is probably the best Doppelbock being made! This was dark as night, with some rusty edges of maroon and brown. The head was small, tan, and short-lived. The aromas were of fresh bavarian soft pretzels, deepl malts, and slight floral hops on the finish. The taste was extremely malty, not too sweet, and hoppy on the finish. The perfect doppel! The mouthfeel was thick, creamy, and oh-so-smooth going down, and the drinkability was excellent. This stuff is like liquid crack...amazing and highly recommended by this BA!

03-30-2004 21:34:58 | More by francisweizen
BierManVA

I have sampled this bier a few times now...at Andechs and in the bottle. Every time I have this bier, I think "This is so damn good...". and it is.

Read all the reviews for this bier; Color - Great, Smell - Sweet, fruity and complex, Taste - Amazing, Mouthfeel - Light and delicious, Drinkability - Second to none.

This bier ranks high, in the top ten. Justifiably so.

Andechser Dopplebck ist am besten.

John

10-02-2004 02:36:16 | More by BierManVA
Domingo

Colorado

EDIT: This is a re-review. Before I thought it was slightly too thin, but after tasting in 4-5 times in a week, I'm convinced that it's perfect.

The almighty Andechs Doppelbock! Best in the world in my opinion.
A perfectly dark brown color with reddish highlights in the light.
Taste and smell cover everything from caramel, brown sugar, chocolate, coffee, and even a little bit of dried fruit in the finish.
Mouthfeel is a TINY bit lighter than a few other Doppels, but based on my most recent experiences (from multiple locations) I think that might've just been the previous batch that I'd tried.
Drinkability is unparalleled because it's not so potent that you can't have more. I had three 1/2L glasses in one sitting and I could've had even more. It's just amazing and it pairs very well with food, too. I highly recommend it with the wurst and the monastery, or the meat trio at the Am Dom hall.

01-05-2006 23:35:27 | More by Domingo
goindownsouth

Consumed vom Fass at der Andechser am Dom in Regensburg, Germany during my Bavarian Urlaub in September of 2006.

Amazingly beautiful ruby, chocolate, and red colors streamed through this brew... The head was big, frothy, and pillowy. The lacing left along the side of the glass was a sight to behold. Notes of toffee, roasted malts, some good cherries in the nose. Surprisingly easy on the palate, this is nowhere near as heavy as I would have expected. Flavors of rich maltiness, a sweet malt twang, and a nice touch of hop bitterness right at the back.

Amazing, indeed. Perhaps the most perfect Bier I have ever had, aside from Weihenstephaner Hefeweizen. Well worth a trip to Germany, if for no other reason than to sample some of Kloster Andechs finest wares.

Zum wohl!

10-05-2006 11:35:20 | More by goindownsouth
joepais

Maine

Many thanks go out to Bierman9 for blessing me with such a wonderful treat.

Bottle poured into a large Pilsener Glass brought forth a large of white head that lasted a while .The body of this brew was crystal clear and dark brown with some ruby highlights in color. This thing is pretty it looks better than a touched up print add.

This is a nice light aroma, not what I expected from a dark brew. Very subtle bread and sweetness with an almost undetectable roasted malts note in the end.

This is what a doppelbock should be, yes I have found the standard bearer. This is sweet and malty but at the same time earthy so as to keep the sweetness in check. I can't find any alcohol present in the flavors. Smooth, creamy and rich comes to mind when trying to describe what I feel in my mouth

I am already sad seeing this on drain from my glass, if I make it to Germany this will be my beer of choice
I just have to end this review with,
Prosit!

10-25-2008 18:48:55 | More by joepais
DerBayer

Woohooo my first 5 and finally a beer to beat the Weltenburger Doppelbock

It is Chestnut colour with some ruby when held into the light

It smells divine of dark fruit, caramel and a hint of chocolate

Perfect carbonation and body in my view

Guess what drinkable eh!!!

07-25-2009 01:20:32 | More by DerBayer
crnipeter

Slovenia

I was fortunate enough to bring a whole case of these jewels back home from Germany. People who had an opportunity to purchase Andechser could be split into two categories: those who regret for not picking it and those who have grabbed a few but are sorry for not taking more of them.BBE 12. Dec 2010, into tulip.
The pour gives deep dark brown body with ruby hue overlain by abundant, persistent light tan head slowly dying out to a thin but stable veil over the entire surface.Tilts are weaving firm sheets of lace broken into patches sliding down the walls.
Thick, palpable aromas of strong maltiness, significant melanoidins, toasty notes, whole grain rye bread, dark fruits (plums and sweet cherries), light chocolate and faint caramel with hints of smoke. Thick piles of aromas are almost impenetrable to the alcohol that emerges bashfully. Thick malty matrix envelopes fruity-toasty flavors listed in the aroma section, slightly smoky sensation, faint smooth alcohol and bread crust finish balancing the malty sweetness. Melanoidins donate fullness, roundness and depth to this flawless beer.
Medium-full bodied with low to moderate carbonation the beer is velvety smooth and creamy and although tends to create slight syrup coating never cloying.
This one succeeded where others have failed and I am not left any choice but to give it highest ratings. Andechser is the reigning king of my own little Beerverse.

03-15-2010 23:58:51 | More by crnipeter
putnam

4.97/5  rDev +14.8%

Beautiful beer.
Like Salvator plus spice, cream and those mysterious, ancient yeast-generated earthy nuances that allow you to close your eyes and travel far.
Fluffy (like the Allagash tripel the same night) with characteristic 2xbock flavors and aromas of vanilla, whole cream, Asian spices, roasted hazelnuts, walnuts and bitter, broiled sugar. Serene, velvety, refined texture and peeling layers of complexity.
Wow!

Thanks to Tim

11-02-2003 19:12:45 | More by putnam
engisch

4.95/5  rDev +14.3%

Wow! Pours a dark amber-brown with a light head that sticks around for a while. This head laces all the way down to the last sip. What beautiful lacing!?

In the nose is carmel and chocolate. All sweet smells!

The taste is phenomenal. I use to say Ayinger Celebrator was my favorite doppelbock, but now I would say it is a hard decision between Andechs and Celebrator. I wish I had a Celebrator to compare head 2 head!

If you see this, are a true beer person, pick it up and enjoy true brilliance!

Mmmm... mmm... good!

07-31-2009 16:49:19 | More by engisch
hwwty4

Missouri

4.95/5  rDev +14.3%

Thanks to the wonderful exbeastiefan for packing this back from Amsterdam for me. One of only a handful of my original wants from when I joined the site that I haven't had the pleasure of trying. Stoked.

Best by date 06/06/12. Poured a 500ml bottle into my Hennepin globe glass. This beer pours a mahogany brown,with a decent 1 inch head that leaves just a little lacing. The aroma is amazing. Huge notes of caramelized sugars. Toffee and toasted breads. Dates and figs cover just a hint of booze. Super complex nose. The flavor starts off with dark fruits. Dates with just a little prune. Brown sugar and caramel. Toast mingling with earthy hops. Just a tiny hint of booze as it warms. The mouthfeel is light and creamy with just a bit of dryness on the finish. Man, this a fantastic beer. I'm so glad I finally got to try it.

11-12-2011 03:32:11 | More by hwwty4
Pegasus

4.93/5  rDev +13.9%

Appearance: Crystal-clear amber in color with a massive and stable tan head. There is lots of slow-rising carbonation, and excellent thick lacing.

Aroma: Rich dark bread aroma, as well as a lesser earth note, and caramel. The bread note is as pronounced as one would find in a kitchen while bread was being baked.

Taste: Opens with incredibly rich roasted dark malt, lesser earthy notes, and a slight smoke. Later, dark caramel notes appear. Late in the taste there is a note of smooth, mellow warming alcohol, which spreads throughout the chest and lingers on and on. There is a slight herbal bitterness at the finish.

Mouth feel: Smooth, rich, very, very full, soft on the palate with slight carbonation.

Drinkability/notes: An absolutely superb beer, well worth the great effort required to obtain it. This beer is truly a feast for the senses, after having it, many good, competently made doppelbocks seem quite the lesser. The brewing monks who developed this style called it "liquid bread". Well they knew of what they spoke.

Many thanks to my fiancée’s parents, Marlis and Bill, who went to considerable effort to obtain this beer in Germany and hand-carry it back to me.

06-12-2005 14:31:23 | More by Pegasus
Bierman9

New Hampshire

4.9/5  rDev +13.2%

A couple of days ago (20AUG06) I opted to quaff the 2 remaining bottles of this I had in my fridge. I bought them in Rothenburg on 29SEP05, costing 0.85EU per 0.5l bottle, or just about $1.15 each. Best before date on them was 11APR06. I poured both into a 1.0l Spaten glass mug... was drinking outdoors, and the garnet/ruby/chestnut hue was beauteous! A creamy, fine and tight tan head topped the bier off, and it lasted throughout the session, with some decent lacing as well. Nose was rich, malty and toasty... lovely! The feel on the palate/tongue was exemplary! Smooth and velvety, and almost chewy in body... I loved it! And though it was a few months past its supposed prime, it tasted fan-friggin-tastic!! It was a malt monster! Lovely caramel sweetness with no hint of being cloying. It coats the mouth with such rich flavor! The hops have long mellowed and taken a powder, leaving mounds of malt to massage the tastebuds. Damn, it tasted great!

overall: 4.9
appearance: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | mouthfeel: 5 | drinkability: 5

*** ***

Review added 27FEB02 - Vom Faß (enjoyed last October - 2001):
Oh baby, is this one good! Wish I were back in the sunshine at the Biergarten at Kloster-Andechs! Gorgeous brown/ruby/garnet color; big, frothy head which thins down but sticks around. Produces excellent glass-lacing! Malt nose is super....great aroma, with some toffee notes! It's body is between medium and full, and has medium/smooth vollmundikeit. Flows over the tongue oh-so-easily! Flavor whacks you with a rich, roasty, malty sweet flavor, and a big alcohol-warmth. Has a very slight bitterness right at the end. Mmmmm!! Hope to get back there again!! Zum Wohl!!

(5.0/4.5/4.5/5.0/5.0 - 4.70)

10-11-2002 09:02:42 | More by Bierman9
TinusTime

4.9/5  rDev +13.2%

WOW-- pours a dark garnet with a off white head.. The nose is fruity, with plummy notes and some dried fruit overtones. Taste-- Holy cow is this a dopplebock or heaven? Malty and fruity with enough to balance it from getting too cloying.. These monks know their business. Mouthfeel is as silky as a young Cuban womans thigh. Drinkability.. you are joking right? This is a session dopplebock.. Drinks so easy its insane.. 7.10 percent ? Where.. The flavour hides it so well. Not as malty as celebrator, not as wimpy as Salvator.. This is liquid gold.

A huge HUGE HUGE Thanks to Bierman VA for bringing me back not one but three of these Gems back form his trip to Oktoberfest.. Now given my wifes loves for Dopplebocks-- I need to lock these up somewhere!!!

10-03-2004 05:22:30 | More by TinusTime
PatYoda

Colorado

4.9/5  rDev +13.2%

Bottle purchased at the monastery and lovingly smuggled back in my carry on.

Perfectly clear dark brown, letting glimmers of ruby through when held up to the light. The huge cream colored head never completely dissipates and leaves great lacing. Smell is caramel, toffee, some earthy hops. Plenty of cocoa as well. Also malty sweetness, and some mellow spices - maybe cinnamon or nutmeg. Taste blows you away every time. You taste the earthy hops right away, then the toffee takes over bolstered by some brown sugar. Everything in the smell is in there if you look. No detectable alcohol. There is a great nuttiness there and I swear you can even taste the pretzels from the monastery. Finishes with spicy hops, cocoa, and toffee. The mouthfeel is perfect for a doppelbock - velvety and smooth to the max without being syrupy. Words do not do this beer justice - I get goose bumps drinking this one. The only bad thing about it is that it makes me sad that I'm not at the monastery at the moment.

I always have to tell myself to drink it more slowly and savor it because it's that drinkable. I feel really lucky to have brought back no less than 21 bottles (one broke in my checked bag, RIP, ruining my Rick Steves Italy book in the process. It smelled really good after the trip though.) from Germany this summer. Beermail me with a good offer if you want one of the 8 or 9 I have left.

10-28-2005 22:24:15 | More by PatYoda
bigbeerdrinka

4.88/5  rDev +12.7%

Well since i haven´t written a beer review in a couple months i thought i would start it off with a whopper and review one of the most sought after beers..

This brew pours a deep copper chestnut color with amber hues and a nice offwhite head about a quarter inch thick.. In the nose there is a strong aroma of dark fruits consisting of figs and grapes with just a touch of sugar. In the background there is a slight fresh wheat tone mixed with some lucious caramels.. For flavor this beer initially starts off quite fruity with strong figs, date, and grape like flavor.. There is a smooth transition from the fruitiness to a beautiful arrangement of caramels and malts with some slight hints of spices in the mix. The finish to this beer is just absolutely wonderful with a slight sweetness and a very nice doughy bready malt backing.. At the very end there is just a slight bite from the hops but its more of a spiciness than a bitterness. This brew has a beautiful creamy mouthful with a subtle carbonation that just dances on the tongue.. As for drinkability this beer is amazing.. For all the fruitiness and sweetness up front, the nice malt backing and hop finish eases this beer off your palate readying it for the next sip... My god this beer is good.. Thank god i now live in Germany where I can happily get it!!

08-19-2005 17:58:33 | More by bigbeerdrinka
Arbitrator

4.88/5  rDev +12.7%

On tap at Andechser am Dom off Marienplatz. We just chilled in the bar and had a couple of glasses while people-watching.

A: Pours a murky plum color that sparkles brilliantly with copper and ruby highlights against the light. The head is a finger's worth of tan foam that retains for a minute or so before vanishing into a secondary stage of a light film on the brew, and finally a collar toward the very end. Nice lacing down the sides in its wake.

S: Malty as all get out: caramel, toffee, and a dark berry aroma that even takes on a plum character at times. There are earthy and floral hints that I suppose are hops, but they are much weaker.

T: Yep, still malty. A sweet introduction in caramel and toffee, but the mid-taste is entirely dark fruits. Mostly berries, possibly currants, with a more prominent plum presence than the nose suggests. Banana is found, as well. An undercurrent of earth reminds me of the hop presence, but the floral variety is an afterthought at best, and found only lightly in the aftertaste, after a malty finish.

M: Despite its maltiness, the beer is not cloying or overly sweet. The moderate-high carbonation cleanses the palate of this medium-full bodied beer quite thoroughly.

D: I had no problem enjoying two maßen of this beer. I'd love to visit Munich again someday, and this will be one of my definite stops if/when that happens.

10-17-2009 03:55:33 | More by Arbitrator
brentk56

4.88/5  rDev +12.7%

Appearance: Pours a clear caramel colored liquid that is capped by three inches of foam; the retention was very good and bubbles of foam were left on the side of the pint glass

Smell: Dates and caramel backed by a hint of grain

Taste: Date and caramel flavors, up front, moderated by toasty grain elements that keep the sweetness in check; by mid-palate the cocoa and apple flavors add additional complexity that lingers into the finish

Mouthfeel: Full bodied and creamy, with moderate carbonation

Overall: A wonderful doppelbock, with terrific balance and complexity; particularly like the mouthfeel; this was the style that started me on my beer journey when I was at the Spaten brewery and tasted Salvator; unfortunately, I was at Andechs earlier in the week without knowing that this was the beer to order; so now, some seven years later, I finally got to try the best of the style

Thanks, Doodler, for the opportunity

09-16-2011 22:19:10 | More by brentk56
jjboesen

Maryland

4.85/5  rDev +12%

Probably - no, definitely - one of the best beers on earth. It is worth the trip to Munich (and S-5 train) to get here. What makes this exceptional is its' unavailabilty in the states. In fact, this beer is so good, they only serve it on weekdays to keep down the throngs of thirsty Munichers.

06-16-2002 12:52:55 | More by jjboesen
BeerBard

4.85/5  rDev +12%

Memories of Andechs...the bottle's bringing them back...
My favorite beerotic moment in life was my first trip to the Andechs Monastery and "gezaufen" (it's a phonetic spelling for "drinking like a beast"...) a variety of beers. I met some wonderful locals (Uwe and Hans)...though I walked the 7 or 8 kilometers up there from the subway station earlier in the day, we later took a cab from the monastery to the subway stop together. I went there a second time about 3 years later with my friend who lives in Bavaria. It was as equally memorable.
Anyone who has the opportunity to go there should go...don't think twice about it. I'm very, very, very serious!
Well, the bottled version I'm drinking has been in my closet about 5 months. It was brought over in my friend's luggage from Bavaria to Austin, as it's not imported to the States, as far as I know. If anyone knows differently, please let me know. Bottled ain't is good as draft...PERIOD!
I'm drinking it side-by-side with an Aventinus Wheat-Dopplebock. I thought they'd be similar. They are, but then again they're not....the Andechs has no "wheat" taste. [As a side-note, the Andechs Wheat Beer is the most wonderful example of the style that I know...the natural bannana flavors are exquisite....but, as you'll see below, you'll have to go there to get the complete indoctrination...the full "flavor"].
The head doesn't last...which is a shame (because I want to rank it higher...I acknowledge my bias). It went flat within a minute (the Aventinus head has lasted 45 minutes now). However, I believe it lasted much longer at the monastery.
The smell is excellent...just take my word on it.
The taste....exceptional...MALTY sweet raison rum currant bannana alcohol and a "hint of hop"...what more can you want?!?!?!
Mouthfeel...as good as it gets for a dopplebock. If you like the style you can't dispute the SUPERIORITY of this beer. It's tremendous!
Drinkability....if I could have this beer every night, I would. I would go to sleep happy with all my troubles erased...all my sins absolved.
If all the world had this beer nightly perhaps we'd all be at PEACE!
I'm in love with Andechs...
Like any true heartsick man in love, I will visit my sweet Andechs again...hopefully within the next year ( a friend is getting married in the Netherlands in March 2004...Bavaria is close enough...only a few hundred miles away...I look forward to a trip after the wedding to Brussels for the Belgians and then Bavaria for the Best of the Rest....my mouth is watering already...keep posted...is anybody really reading this??? CHEERS!).!&$@&@#$

04-19-2004 05:14:15 | More by BeerBard
HardTarget

4.85/5  rDev +12%

Bottle Inspection: All in German (it was hand carried from Germany by Christine’s Parents: THANKS CHRISTINE’S PARENTS; and Pegasus for being generous enough to share) notes “best by” 21 11 05 (consumed 11 06 05), recommendation to store at 7 degrees C.

Aroma: Rich dark malt, like smelling extract. Flavor association forces me to say dark fruit, but that’s not a fair descriptor. The best descriptor is: Black Bread.

Appearance: Cola amber glass with a finger of thick light tan head that lasts and laces. Very nice clarity as well, truly a lager.

Flavor: The malt/bread of the aroma translates into the taste, but the taste is so rich and full. I stated at first sip “there’s no water in there”. The taste isn’t burnt, but just so very deeply roasted. Earthy with a ghost of smoke.

Mouthfeel: Full and rich with a creamy texture. The alcohol isn’t very strong, but it was very warming. I could feel the warmth in my chest.

Overall Impression: The taste expresses the obvious quality of this brew. It’s just masterful. It strikes me as the most roasted beer ever. I found myself craving roasted chicken while drinking this. Truly a gem; Wish we could get it down here in Texas.

06-12-2005 03:35:49 | More by HardTarget
meathookjones

4.85/5  rDev +12%

Dated best before 26 04 06. Pours out a dark brown with reddish highlights and a tall tan creamy head. The head returns quickly to the body leaving speckles of lace. Sweet caramel and dark fruit come on strong with a nice mild dark chocolate in the background. Good amount of roastiness and smoke with light bready malts. First taste is some caramel with a backing of roastiness. Lighter notes of fruit sweetness and bittersweet chocolate mix in well. Very light alcohol is noticeable with a mild earthiness at the finish. Really rich and full flavored brew that I could drink all day. Body is hefty enough to carry deliver the big flavor and goes down smoothly and easily. If only this was available in the states.

12-07-2005 18:33:24 | More by meathookjones