Andechser Doppelbock Dunkel - Klosterbrauerei Andechs

Klosterbrauerei Andechs visit their website
Germany

Doppelbock |  7.10% ABV

Beer added by: Bierman9 on 06-16-2002

This world famous bock from Bavaria’s Holy Mountain is not meant to be rushed, but savoured slowly. As solid as a rock, Andechser Doppelbock Dunkel presides over the evening meal with a colour reminiscent of dark copper with nuances of fiery red. Its clear gleaming look harmonises with its firm, fine pored head.

Also the aroma delights the connoisseur: soft roasted accents and a nuance of dried fruit carrying a vein of caramel. This Doppelbock Dunkel from Bavaria’s Holy Mountain presents a pleasant effervescence. And then there’s the unmistakable flavour: mouthcoating and velvety, strong and yet pleasantly malty – a powerful, robust body. At the same time, it develops an easily recognisable sweetness, embraced in roasted cocoa and a light, bitter hoppiness.

Concluding with a powerful punch, this Doppelbock departs with a lingering aftertaste of quality plain chocolate. A strong Doppelbock that embodies the centuries old Benedictine brewing tradition, sip by delicious sip.

(1/04 update: Shared two bottles of this with friends over the holidays after they hand-carried them back from Germany. I'd give it solid 6s across the board if it were allowed. It has no equal.)

Finally the bottle and glass were empty, and I cried...

Dark amber/auburn color with a white head that starts firm and gradually goes down to a thin persistent lace. The aroma is a complex maltiness that's one of the seven greatest smells on earth.

One sip fills your mouth with every non-roasted malt flavor there is - raisin, blackcurrant, caramel, toast, chocolate, toffee... I could go on all day. The malt fruitiness & multifaceted lager sweetness (triple decoction? Quadruple?) is just balanced by a background bitterness. The alcohol is present, subtly, and in perfect balance with all of the other flavors. The finish is extraordinarily round, with a bit of licorice waaay in the background. Leaves every single tastebud in the mouth happy.

This beer is proof that the monks are indeed closer to a God than we are.

Note: Heavyweight used this yeast strain in Perkuno's Hammer Imperial Porter. (1,113 characters)

One of the greatest of all beers on this planet is this monks' simple doppelbock. "Enjoyment for body and soul" it is written on the bottle... But this review is for the fresh, sprit-awakening stuff poured on-tap from the monastery atop the "sacred mountain" outside of Munich.

I have been awaiting review since my 'de-virgining' (from tasting notes from a gorgeous, eventful day outside at the monastery, 09/22/03) -- just waiting for the right time to dignify it with a review (and an otherwise 'unworthy' attempt at translating exaltation). This is a good time, as I am also enjoying one of my remaining few bottles of Andechs I had taken back with me...

The Andechs doppelbock is not as dark or thick as some, but has every bit the flavor. I love how the monks' yeast (also aging?) produces such pleasant, earthy-like notes (almost like a refined and classy, taste-enhancing & good 'mustiness'): It is amazing how a set of few, simple, simple ingredients can translate into such an enormity of taste! I enjoyed its character in every way and was just so darn drinkable (then reminding myself it was a double bock and breakfast).

Truly a beer to be sought. (1,168 characters)

Maybe one of the smoothest dopplebock in the world. Tastes in Munich at the Kloster-Andechs special restaurant, near St. Peter's church and close to the Marienplatz. Dark, delicious and very drinkable, the alcohol creeps up on you at the end of a couple half liters. (266 characters)

Had this at a very old and private Teutonic club on Pittsburgh's North Side (old Deutschtown) ....and on tap no less. What a remarkable find really. Maybe it was being in an old ethnic club and paying homage to one of Pittsburgh's great immigrant communities that welled me up to offer a perfect "5" or having quaffed three of these rare brews but this truly is a remarkable beer IMO.

Der Barmann slow poured this into a 12oz goblet with a beautiful clear amber copper hue. An off-white, one finger head with nice lacing revealed sweet bready notes to the olfactories. Feel was rich, almost nectar like on the mouth with a deep complex sweetness coming off on many tiers; a variety of dried fruits (? figs, raisins etc) and roasted chocolate cacaos finished with a subtle nuanced hoppiness. This doppel really blew my mind. Wow.

No hindsight required here. It's truly deserving of a "5" in my book. I'm glad I had an opportunity to indulge and will seek this one out again. (977 characters)

I was fortunate enough to bring a whole case of these jewels back home from Germany. People who had an opportunity to purchase Andechser could be split into two categories: those who regret for not picking it and those who have grabbed a few but are sorry for not taking more of them.BBE 12. Dec 2010, into tulip.
The pour gives deep dark brown body with ruby hue overlain by abundant, persistent light tan head slowly dying out to a thin but stable veil over the entire surface.Tilts are weaving firm sheets of lace broken into patches sliding down the walls.
Thick, palpable aromas of strong maltiness, significant melanoidins, toasty notes, whole grain rye bread, dark fruits (plums and sweet cherries), light chocolate and faint caramel with hints of smoke. Thick piles of aromas are almost impenetrable to the alcohol that emerges bashfully. Thick malty matrix envelopes fruity-toasty flavors listed in the aroma section, slightly smoky sensation, faint smooth alcohol and bread crust finish balancing the malty sweetness. Melanoidins donate fullness, roundness and depth to this flawless beer.
Medium-full bodied with low to moderate carbonation the beer is velvety smooth and creamy and although tends to create slight syrup coating never cloying.
This one succeeded where others have failed and I am not left any choice but to give it highest ratings. Andechser is the reigning king of my own little Beerverse. (1,418 characters)

EDIT: This is a re-review. Before I thought it was slightly too thin, but after tasting in 4-5 times in a week, I'm convinced that it's perfect.

The almighty Andechs Doppelbock! Best in the world in my opinion.
A perfectly dark brown color with reddish highlights in the light.
Taste and smell cover everything from caramel, brown sugar, chocolate, coffee, and even a little bit of dried fruit in the finish.
Mouthfeel is a TINY bit lighter than a few other Doppels, but based on my most recent experiences (from multiple locations) I think that might've just been the previous batch that I'd tried.
Drinkability is unparalleled because it's not so potent that you can't have more. I had three 1/2L glasses in one sitting and I could've had even more. It's just amazing and it pairs very well with food, too. I highly recommend it with the wurst and the monastery, or the meat trio at the Am Dom hall. (909 characters)

Many thanks go out to Bierman9 for blessing me with such a wonderful treat.

Bottle poured into a large Pilsener Glass brought forth a large of white head that lasted a while .The body of this brew was crystal clear and dark brown with some ruby highlights in color. This thing is pretty it looks better than a touched up print add.

This is a nice light aroma, not what I expected from a dark brew. Very subtle bread and sweetness with an almost undetectable roasted malts note in the end.

This is what a doppelbock should be, yes I have found the standard bearer. This is sweet and malty but at the same time earthy so as to keep the sweetness in check. I can't find any alcohol present in the flavors. Smooth, creamy and rich comes to mind when trying to describe what I feel in my mouth

I am already sad seeing this on drain from my glass, if I make it to Germany this will be my beer of choice
I just have to end this review with,
Prosit! (949 characters)

I've been to the Holy Mountain.

I've seen the herb garden the monks use for this masterpiece.

And a small distributor has now brought one of my favorite beers to my door.

Poured into a stein I have from Andechs, this beers color comes out dark copper with some touches of red. The head holds up nicely (though in older bottles that I have aged this tends to not be the case). Right away I smell that caramel with a back-end of fruits. At first sip it feels velvety in the mouth, with the taste of the malt and sweetness teasing the tongue. Then it hits you with the small hoppiness at the end. Then bang you taste that chocolate after each sip.

One of my favorite beers, and in a blind test normally beats our everyone's favorite doppelbock.

Buy it, enjoy it and repeat. (775 characters)

I have sampled this bier a few times now...at Andechs and in the bottle. Every time I have this bier, I think "This is so damn good...". and it is.

Read all the reviews for this bier; Color - Great, Smell - Sweet, fruity and complex, Taste - Amazing, Mouthfeel - Light and delicious, Drinkability - Second to none.

This bier ranks high, in the top ten. Justifiably so.

Andechser Dopplebck ist am besten.

John (420 characters)

Woohooo my first 5 and finally a beer to beat the Weltenburger Doppelbock

It is Chestnut colour with some ruby when held into the light

It smells divine of dark fruit, caramel and a hint of chocolate

Perfect carbonation and body in my view

Guess what drinkable eh!!! (271 characters)

Been awhile since I put in a 5.0 but this is as good as it gets for a doppel and for a beer in general. Huge sweet bready characteristics reminding of fresh baked honey bread drizzled with a brown sugar and raisin compote. Caramel, maple, molasses, dark fruits. A malt lovers dream. Body and weight are kept in check and this drinks almost like a regular bock but with much more flavor.

The best there is and probably the one beer I would take to a deserted island. It would certainly be in my six pack to bring. I would rate as one of my top 5 beer of all-time maybe #1 (582 characters)

On-Tap! At De Vildeman in Amsterdam, Holland. I've heard much about this brew, but when I failed to get a bottle from Germany, I decided to try this when I actually saw it on tap! I'm really glad that I did, as this is probably the best Doppelbock being made! This was dark as night, with some rusty edges of maroon and brown. The head was small, tan, and short-lived. The aromas were of fresh bavarian soft pretzels, deepl malts, and slight floral hops on the finish. The taste was extremely malty, not too sweet, and hoppy on the finish. The perfect doppel! The mouthfeel was thick, creamy, and oh-so-smooth going down, and the drinkability was excellent. This stuff is like liquid crack...amazing and highly recommended by this BA! (734 characters)

What else can I say but simply, the best beer I have ever had! Small fine bubbles, heavy flavor, full bodied, no foul after taste or bitterness. Extremely smooth.

Im Himmel gibt es kein bier!
Darum trinken vir Andechs heir!

Translation:
In Heaven there is no beer!
That is why we drink Andechs here! (308 characters)

Consumed vom Fass at der Andechser am Dom in Regensburg, Germany during my Bavarian Urlaub in September of 2006.

Amazingly beautiful ruby, chocolate, and red colors streamed through this brew... The head was big, frothy, and pillowy. The lacing left along the side of the glass was a sight to behold. Notes of toffee, roasted malts, some good cherries in the nose. Surprisingly easy on the palate, this is nowhere near as heavy as I would have expected. Flavors of rich maltiness, a sweet malt twang, and a nice touch of hop bitterness right at the back.

Amazing, indeed. Perhaps the most perfect Bier I have ever had, aside from Weihenstephaner Hefeweizen. Well worth a trip to Germany, if for no other reason than to sample some of Kloster Andechs finest wares.

Zum wohl! (783 characters)

4.99/5  rDev +15.2%

Andechser Doppelbock Dunkel has a fairly thick, creamy, cream-colored head, a mostly clear, dark-brown, bubbly appearance, with low-to-moderate lacing left on the glass. The aroma is of rich, sweet, syrupy, brown bread crust, raisin, spiced bread, raisin bread, and brown sugar. Taste is of the same elements, riding alongside moderate hop bitterness. Mouthfeel is medium to heavy, and Andechser Doppelbock Dunkel finishes somewhat crisp, surprisingly drinkable, and exquisite.

RJT (483 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +14.8%

Beautiful beer.
Like Salvator plus spice, cream and those mysterious, ancient yeast-generated earthy nuances that allow you to close your eyes and travel far.
Fluffy (like the Allagash tripel the same night) with characteristic 2xbock flavors and aromas of vanilla, whole cream, Asian spices, roasted hazelnuts, walnuts and bitter, broiled sugar. Serene, velvety, refined texture and peeling layers of complexity.
Wow!

Thanks to Tim (438 characters)

4.95/5  rDev +14.3%

Wow! Pours a dark amber-brown with a light head that sticks around for a while. This head laces all the way down to the last sip. What beautiful lacing!?

In the nose is carmel and chocolate. All sweet smells!

The taste is phenomenal. I use to say Ayinger Celebrator was my favorite doppelbock, but now I would say it is a hard decision between Andechs and Celebrator. I wish I had a Celebrator to compare head 2 head!

If you see this, are a true beer person, pick it up and enjoy true brilliance!

Mmmm... mmm... good! (524 characters)

4.94/5  rDev +14.1%

Thanks to the wonderful exbeastiefan for packing this back from Amsterdam for me. One of only a handful of my original wants from when I joined the site that I haven't had the pleasure of trying. Stoked.

Best by date 06/06/12. Poured a 500ml bottle into my Hennepin globe glass. This beer pours a mahogany brown,with a decent 1 inch head that leaves just a little lacing. The aroma is amazing. Huge notes of caramelized sugars. Toffee and toasted breads. Dates and figs cover just a hint of booze. Super complex nose. The flavor starts off with dark fruits. Dates with just a little prune. Brown sugar and caramel. Toast mingling with earthy hops. Just a tiny hint of booze as it warms. The mouthfeel is light and creamy with just a bit of dryness on the finish. Man, this a fantastic beer. I'm so glad I finally got to try it. (829 characters)

4.93/5  rDev +13.9%

This is an amazing beer... Went to the liquor store to peruse in addition to reserving a keg for a grad party, and this caught my eye for some reason.

I love doppelbocks as a style generally, but this one really nails it. I try not to read BA reviews before forming my own opinion and didn't in this case... I literally logged in to see how highly it would be rated, as I knew I had discovered something truly amazing from the Motherland.

Crisp, clean caramel and bread-y notes complemented by a superior mouthfeel make this a 95 (or better!) for sure. Wish I had another... (576 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +13.6%

Appearance: Crystal-clear amber in color with a massive and stable tan head. There is lots of slow-rising carbonation, and excellent thick lacing.

Aroma: Rich dark bread aroma, as well as a lesser earth note, and caramel. The bread note is as pronounced as one would find in a kitchen while bread was being baked.

Taste: Opens with incredibly rich roasted dark malt, lesser earthy notes, and a slight smoke. Later, dark caramel notes appear. Late in the taste there is a note of smooth, mellow warming alcohol, which spreads throughout the chest and lingers on and on. There is a slight herbal bitterness at the finish.

Mouth feel: Smooth, rich, very, very full, soft on the palate with slight carbonation.

Drinkability/notes: An absolutely superb beer, well worth the great effort required to obtain it. This beer is truly a feast for the senses, after having it, many good, competently made doppelbocks seem quite the lesser. The brewing monks who developed this style called it "liquid bread". Well they knew of what they spoke.

Many thanks to my fiancée’s parents, Marlis and Bill, who went to considerable effort to obtain this beer in Germany and hand-carry it back to me. (1,195 characters)

4.88/5  rDev +12.7%

Bottle purchased at the monastery and lovingly smuggled back in my carry on.

Perfectly clear dark brown, letting glimmers of ruby through when held up to the light. The huge cream colored head never completely dissipates and leaves great lacing. Smell is caramel, toffee, some earthy hops. Plenty of cocoa as well. Also malty sweetness, and some mellow spices - maybe cinnamon or nutmeg. Taste blows you away every time. You taste the earthy hops right away, then the toffee takes over bolstered by some brown sugar. Everything in the smell is in there if you look. No detectable alcohol. There is a great nuttiness there and I swear you can even taste the pretzels from the monastery. Finishes with spicy hops, cocoa, and toffee. The mouthfeel is perfect for a doppelbock - velvety and smooth to the max without being syrupy. Words do not do this beer justice - I get goose bumps drinking this one. The only bad thing about it is that it makes me sad that I'm not at the monastery at the moment.

I always have to tell myself to drink it more slowly and savor it because it's that drinkable. I feel really lucky to have brought back no less than 21 bottles (one broke in my checked bag, RIP, ruining my Rick Steves Italy book in the process. It smelled really good after the trip though.) from Germany this summer. Beermail me with a good offer if you want one of the 8 or 9 I have left. (1,393 characters)

4.88/5  rDev +12.7%

A couple of days ago (20AUG06) I opted to quaff the 2 remaining bottles of this I had in my fridge. I bought them in Rothenburg on 29SEP05, costing 0.85EU per 0.5l bottle, or just about $1.15 each. Best before date on them was 11APR06. I poured both into a 1.0l Spaten glass mug... was drinking outdoors, and the garnet/ruby/chestnut hue was beauteous! A creamy, fine and tight tan head topped the bier off, and it lasted throughout the session, with some decent lacing as well. Nose was rich, malty and toasty... lovely! The feel on the palate/tongue was exemplary! Smooth and velvety, and almost chewy in body... I loved it! And though it was a few months past its supposed prime, it tasted fan-friggin-tastic!! It was a malt monster! Lovely caramel sweetness with no hint of being cloying. It coats the mouth with such rich flavor! The hops have long mellowed and taken a powder, leaving mounds of malt to massage the tastebuds. Damn, it tasted great!

overall: 4.9
appearance: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | mouthfeel: 5 | drinkability: 5

*** ***

Review added 27FEB02 - Vom Faß (enjoyed last October - 2001):
Oh baby, is this one good! Wish I were back in the sunshine at the Biergarten at Kloster-Andechs! Gorgeous brown/ruby/garnet color; big, frothy head which thins down but sticks around. Produces excellent glass-lacing! Malt nose is super....great aroma, with some toffee notes! It's body is between medium and full, and has medium/smooth vollmundikeit. Flows over the tongue oh-so-easily! Flavor whacks you with a rich, roasty, malty sweet flavor, and a big alcohol-warmth. Has a very slight bitterness right at the end. Mmmmm!! Hope to get back there again!! Zum Wohl!!

(5.0/4.5/4.5/5.0/5.0 - 4.70)

60 (1,718 characters)

4.88/5  rDev +12.7%

WOW-- pours a dark garnet with a off white head.. The nose is fruity, with plummy notes and some dried fruit overtones. Taste-- Holy cow is this a dopplebock or heaven? Malty and fruity with enough to balance it from getting too cloying.. These monks know their business. Mouthfeel is as silky as a young Cuban womans thigh. Drinkability.. you are joking right? This is a session dopplebock.. Drinks so easy its insane.. 7.10 percent ? Where.. The flavour hides it so well. Not as malty as celebrator, not as wimpy as Salvator.. This is liquid gold.

A huge HUGE HUGE Thanks to Bierman VA for bringing me back not one but three of these Gems back form his trip to Oktoberfest.. Now given my wifes loves for Dopplebocks-- I need to lock these up somewhere!!! (760 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +12%

Appearance: Pours a clear caramel colored liquid that is capped by three inches of foam; the retention was very good and bubbles of foam were left on the side of the pint glass

Smell: Dates and caramel backed by a hint of grain

Taste: Date and caramel flavors, up front, moderated by toasty grain elements that keep the sweetness in check; by mid-palate the cocoa and apple flavors add additional complexity that lingers into the finish

Mouthfeel: Full bodied and creamy, with moderate carbonation

Overall: A wonderful doppelbock, with terrific balance and complexity; particularly like the mouthfeel; this was the style that started me on my beer journey when I was at the Spaten brewery and tasted Salvator; unfortunately, I was at Andechs earlier in the week without knowing that this was the beer to order; so now, some seven years later, I finally got to try the best of the style

Thanks, Doodler, for the opportunity (927 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +12%

On tap at Andechser am Dom off Marienplatz. We just chilled in the bar and had a couple of glasses while people-watching.

A: Pours a murky plum color that sparkles brilliantly with copper and ruby highlights against the light. The head is a finger's worth of tan foam that retains for a minute or so before vanishing into a secondary stage of a light film on the brew, and finally a collar toward the very end. Nice lacing down the sides in its wake.

S: Malty as all get out: caramel, toffee, and a dark berry aroma that even takes on a plum character at times. There are earthy and floral hints that I suppose are hops, but they are much weaker.

T: Yep, still malty. A sweet introduction in caramel and toffee, but the mid-taste is entirely dark fruits. Mostly berries, possibly currants, with a more prominent plum presence than the nose suggests. Banana is found, as well. An undercurrent of earth reminds me of the hop presence, but the floral variety is an afterthought at best, and found only lightly in the aftertaste, after a malty finish.

M: Despite its maltiness, the beer is not cloying or overly sweet. The moderate-high carbonation cleanses the palate of this medium-full bodied beer quite thoroughly.

D: I had no problem enjoying two maßen of this beer. I'd love to visit Munich again someday, and this will be one of my definite stops if/when that happens. (1,382 characters)

Andechser Doppelbock Dunkel from Klosterbrauerei Andechs