Andechser Doppelbock Dunkel - Klosterbrauerei Andechs

Andechser Doppelbock DunkelAndechser Doppelbock Dunkel

Klosterbrauerei Andechs visit their website
Germany

Doppelbock |  7.10% ABV

This world famous bock from Bavaria’s Holy Mountain is not meant to be rushed, but savoured slowly. As solid as a rock, Andechser Doppelbock Dunkel presides over the evening meal with a colour reminiscent of dark copper with nuances of fiery red. Its clear gleaming look harmonises with its firm, fine pored head.

Also the aroma delights the connoisseur: soft roasted accents and a nuance of dried fruit carrying a vein of caramel. This Doppelbock Dunkel from Bavaria’s Holy Mountain presents a pleasant effervescence. And then there’s the unmistakable flavour: mouthcoating and velvety, strong and yet pleasantly malty – a powerful, robust body. At the same time, it develops an easily recognisable sweetness, embraced in roasted cocoa and a light, bitter hoppiness.

Concluding with a powerful punch, this Doppelbock departs with a lingering aftertaste of quality plain chocolate. A strong Doppelbock that embodies the centuries old Benedictine brewing tradition, sip by delicious sip.

(Beer added by: Bierman9 on 06-16-2002)

bigdaddypolite, Nov 19, 2011

I have sampled this bier a few times now...at Andechs and in the bottle. Every time I have this bier, I think "This is so damn good...". and it is.

Read all the reviews for this bier; Color - Great, Smell - Sweet, fruity and complex, Taste - Amazing, Mouthfeel - Light and delicious, Drinkability - Second to none.

This bier ranks high, in the top ten. Justifiably so.

Andechser Dopplebck ist am besten.

John

BierManVA, Oct 02, 2004

Woohooo my first 5 and finally a beer to beat the Weltenburger Doppelbock

It is Chestnut colour with some ruby when held into the light

It smells divine of dark fruit, caramel and a hint of chocolate

Perfect carbonation and body in my view

Guess what drinkable eh!!!

DerBayer, Jul 25, 2009

Vahovich, Apr 20, 2013

PacNWDad, Jan 02, 2012

bsuedekum, Nov 14, 2011

Doodler, Dec 08, 2011

On-Tap! At De Vildeman in Amsterdam, Holland. I've heard much about this brew, but when I failed to get a bottle from Germany, I decided to try this when I actually saw it on tap! I'm really glad that I did, as this is probably the best Doppelbock being made! This was dark as night, with some rusty edges of maroon and brown. The head was small, tan, and short-lived. The aromas were of fresh bavarian soft pretzels, deepl malts, and slight floral hops on the finish. The taste was extremely malty, not too sweet, and hoppy on the finish. The perfect doppel! The mouthfeel was thick, creamy, and oh-so-smooth going down, and the drinkability was excellent. This stuff is like liquid crack...amazing and highly recommended by this BA!

francisweizen, Mar 30, 2004

ceetee26, Nov 30, 2011

ThirstyBird, Dec 01, 2011

tziggy, Jun 18, 2012

What else can I say but simply, the best beer I have ever had! Small fine bubbles, heavy flavor, full bodied, no foul after taste or bitterness. Extremely smooth.

Im Himmel gibt es kein bier!
Darum trinken vir Andechs heir!

Translation:
In Heaven there is no beer!
That is why we drink Andechs here!

TheDM, Mar 16, 2003

jtrockchalk, Nov 18, 2011

Consumed vom Fass at der Andechser am Dom in Regensburg, Germany during my Bavarian Urlaub in September of 2006.

Amazingly beautiful ruby, chocolate, and red colors streamed through this brew... The head was big, frothy, and pillowy. The lacing left along the side of the glass was a sight to behold. Notes of toffee, roasted malts, some good cherries in the nose. Surprisingly easy on the palate, this is nowhere near as heavy as I would have expected. Flavors of rich maltiness, a sweet malt twang, and a nice touch of hop bitterness right at the back.

Amazing, indeed. Perhaps the most perfect Bier I have ever had, aside from Weihenstephaner Hefeweizen. Well worth a trip to Germany, if for no other reason than to sample some of Kloster Andechs finest wares.

Zum wohl!

goindownsouth, Oct 05, 2006

ef88, Nov 26, 2011
4.97/5  rDev +15.6%

Beautiful beer.
Like Salvator plus spice, cream and those mysterious, ancient yeast-generated earthy nuances that allow you to close your eyes and travel far.
Fluffy (like the Allagash tripel the same night) with characteristic 2xbock flavors and aromas of vanilla, whole cream, Asian spices, roasted hazelnuts, walnuts and bitter, broiled sugar. Serene, velvety, refined texture and peeling layers of complexity.
Wow!

Thanks to Tim

putnam, Nov 02, 2003
4.95/5  rDev +15.1%

Thanks to the wonderful exbeastiefan for packing this back from Amsterdam for me. One of only a handful of my original wants from when I joined the site that I haven't had the pleasure of trying. Stoked.

Best by date 06/06/12. Poured a 500ml bottle into my Hennepin globe glass. This beer pours a mahogany brown,with a decent 1 inch head that leaves just a little lacing. The aroma is amazing. Huge notes of caramelized sugars. Toffee and toasted breads. Dates and figs cover just a hint of booze. Super complex nose. The flavor starts off with dark fruits. Dates with just a little prune. Brown sugar and caramel. Toast mingling with earthy hops. Just a tiny hint of booze as it warms. The mouthfeel is light and creamy with just a bit of dryness on the finish. Man, this a fantastic beer. I'm so glad I finally got to try it.

hwwty4, Nov 12, 2011
4.95/5  rDev +15.1%

Wow! Pours a dark amber-brown with a light head that sticks around for a while. This head laces all the way down to the last sip. What beautiful lacing!?

In the nose is carmel and chocolate. All sweet smells!

The taste is phenomenal. I use to say Ayinger Celebrator was my favorite doppelbock, but now I would say it is a hard decision between Andechs and Celebrator. I wish I had a Celebrator to compare head 2 head!

If you see this, are a true beer person, pick it up and enjoy true brilliance!

Mmmm... mmm... good!

engisch, Jul 31, 2009
4.93/5  rDev +14.7%

Appearance: Crystal-clear amber in color with a massive and stable tan head. There is lots of slow-rising carbonation, and excellent thick lacing.

Aroma: Rich dark bread aroma, as well as a lesser earth note, and caramel. The bread note is as pronounced as one would find in a kitchen while bread was being baked.

Taste: Opens with incredibly rich roasted dark malt, lesser earthy notes, and a slight smoke. Later, dark caramel notes appear. Late in the taste there is a note of smooth, mellow warming alcohol, which spreads throughout the chest and lingers on and on. There is a slight herbal bitterness at the finish.

Mouth feel: Smooth, rich, very, very full, soft on the palate with slight carbonation.

Drinkability/notes: An absolutely superb beer, well worth the great effort required to obtain it. This beer is truly a feast for the senses, after having it, many good, competently made doppelbocks seem quite the lesser. The brewing monks who developed this style called it "liquid bread". Well they knew of what they spoke.

Many thanks to my fiancée’s parents, Marlis and Bill, who went to considerable effort to obtain this beer in Germany and hand-carry it back to me.

Pegasus, Jun 12, 2005
4.9/5  rDev +14%

Bottle purchased at the monastery and lovingly smuggled back in my carry on.

Perfectly clear dark brown, letting glimmers of ruby through when held up to the light. The huge cream colored head never completely dissipates and leaves great lacing. Smell is caramel, toffee, some earthy hops. Plenty of cocoa as well. Also malty sweetness, and some mellow spices - maybe cinnamon or nutmeg. Taste blows you away every time. You taste the earthy hops right away, then the toffee takes over bolstered by some brown sugar. Everything in the smell is in there if you look. No detectable alcohol. There is a great nuttiness there and I swear you can even taste the pretzels from the monastery. Finishes with spicy hops, cocoa, and toffee. The mouthfeel is perfect for a doppelbock - velvety and smooth to the max without being syrupy. Words do not do this beer justice - I get goose bumps drinking this one. The only bad thing about it is that it makes me sad that I'm not at the monastery at the moment.

I always have to tell myself to drink it more slowly and savor it because it's that drinkable. I feel really lucky to have brought back no less than 21 bottles (one broke in my checked bag, RIP, ruining my Rick Steves Italy book in the process. It smelled really good after the trip though.) from Germany this summer. Beermail me with a good offer if you want one of the 8 or 9 I have left.

PatYoda, Oct 28, 2005

WestCoastBeerDude, Aug 19, 2014
4.9/5  rDev +14%

A couple of days ago (20AUG06) I opted to quaff the 2 remaining bottles of this I had in my fridge. I bought them in Rothenburg on 29SEP05, costing 0.85EU per 0.5l bottle, or just about $1.15 each. Best before date on them was 11APR06. I poured both into a 1.0l Spaten glass mug... was drinking outdoors, and the garnet/ruby/chestnut hue was beauteous! A creamy, fine and tight tan head topped the bier off, and it lasted throughout the session, with some decent lacing as well. Nose was rich, malty and toasty... lovely! The feel on the palate/tongue was exemplary! Smooth and velvety, and almost chewy in body... I loved it! And though it was a few months past its supposed prime, it tasted fan-friggin-tastic!! It was a malt monster! Lovely caramel sweetness with no hint of being cloying. It coats the mouth with such rich flavor! The hops have long mellowed and taken a powder, leaving mounds of malt to massage the tastebuds. Damn, it tasted great!

overall: 4.9
appearance: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | mouthfeel: 5 | drinkability: 5

*** ***

Review added 27FEB02 - Vom Faß (enjoyed last October - 2001):
Oh baby, is this one good! Wish I were back in the sunshine at the Biergarten at Kloster-Andechs! Gorgeous brown/ruby/garnet color; big, frothy head which thins down but sticks around. Produces excellent glass-lacing! Malt nose is super....great aroma, with some toffee notes! It's body is between medium and full, and has medium/smooth vollmundikeit. Flows over the tongue oh-so-easily! Flavor whacks you with a rich, roasty, malty sweet flavor, and a big alcohol-warmth. Has a very slight bitterness right at the end. Mmmmm!! Hope to get back there again!! Zum Wohl!!

(5.0/4.5/4.5/5.0/5.0 - 4.70)

Bierman9, Oct 11, 2002
4.9/5  rDev +14%

WOW-- pours a dark garnet with a off white head.. The nose is fruity, with plummy notes and some dried fruit overtones. Taste-- Holy cow is this a dopplebock or heaven? Malty and fruity with enough to balance it from getting too cloying.. These monks know their business. Mouthfeel is as silky as a young Cuban womans thigh. Drinkability.. you are joking right? This is a session dopplebock.. Drinks so easy its insane.. 7.10 percent ? Where.. The flavour hides it so well. Not as malty as celebrator, not as wimpy as Salvator.. This is liquid gold.

A huge HUGE HUGE Thanks to Bierman VA for bringing me back not one but three of these Gems back form his trip to Oktoberfest.. Now given my wifes loves for Dopplebocks-- I need to lock these up somewhere!!!

TinusTime, Oct 03, 2004
4.88/5  rDev +13.5%

Appearance: Pours a clear caramel colored liquid that is capped by three inches of foam; the retention was very good and bubbles of foam were left on the side of the pint glass

Smell: Dates and caramel backed by a hint of grain

Taste: Date and caramel flavors, up front, moderated by toasty grain elements that keep the sweetness in check; by mid-palate the cocoa and apple flavors add additional complexity that lingers into the finish

Mouthfeel: Full bodied and creamy, with moderate carbonation

Overall: A wonderful doppelbock, with terrific balance and complexity; particularly like the mouthfeel; this was the style that started me on my beer journey when I was at the Spaten brewery and tasted Salvator; unfortunately, I was at Andechs earlier in the week without knowing that this was the beer to order; so now, some seven years later, I finally got to try the best of the style

Thanks, Doodler, for the opportunity

brentk56, Sep 16, 2011
4.88/5  rDev +13.5%

On tap at Andechser am Dom off Marienplatz. We just chilled in the bar and had a couple of glasses while people-watching.

A: Pours a murky plum color that sparkles brilliantly with copper and ruby highlights against the light. The head is a finger's worth of tan foam that retains for a minute or so before vanishing into a secondary stage of a light film on the brew, and finally a collar toward the very end. Nice lacing down the sides in its wake.

S: Malty as all get out: caramel, toffee, and a dark berry aroma that even takes on a plum character at times. There are earthy and floral hints that I suppose are hops, but they are much weaker.

T: Yep, still malty. A sweet introduction in caramel and toffee, but the mid-taste is entirely dark fruits. Mostly berries, possibly currants, with a more prominent plum presence than the nose suggests. Banana is found, as well. An undercurrent of earth reminds me of the hop presence, but the floral variety is an afterthought at best, and found only lightly in the aftertaste, after a malty finish.

M: Despite its maltiness, the beer is not cloying or overly sweet. The moderate-high carbonation cleanses the palate of this medium-full bodied beer quite thoroughly.

D: I had no problem enjoying two maßen of this beer. I'd love to visit Munich again someday, and this will be one of my definite stops if/when that happens.

Arbitrator, Oct 17, 2009