Andechser Doppelbock Dunkel - Klosterbrauerei Andechs

Andechser Doppelbock DunkelAndechser Doppelbock Dunkel

Klosterbrauerei Andechs visit their website
Germany

Doppelbock |  7.10% ABV

This world famous bock from Bavaria’s Holy Mountain is not meant to be rushed, but savoured slowly. As solid as a rock, Andechser Doppelbock Dunkel presides over the evening meal with a colour reminiscent of dark copper with nuances of fiery red. Its clear gleaming look harmonises with its firm, fine pored head.

Also the aroma delights the connoisseur: soft roasted accents and a nuance of dried fruit carrying a vein of caramel. This Doppelbock Dunkel from Bavaria’s Holy Mountain presents a pleasant effervescence. And then there’s the unmistakable flavour: mouthcoating and velvety, strong and yet pleasantly malty – a powerful, robust body. At the same time, it develops an easily recognisable sweetness, embraced in roasted cocoa and a light, bitter hoppiness.

Concluding with a powerful punch, this Doppelbock departs with a lingering aftertaste of quality plain chocolate. A strong Doppelbock that embodies the centuries old Benedictine brewing tradition, sip by delicious sip.

(Beer added by: Bierman9 on 06-16-2002)
pauljmccain

Missouri

4.85/5  rDev +12.5%

Had from the barrel at Kloster Andechs. Great place.

A: A nice dark red that is clear, not hazy. Nice thick head, slightly off-white.

S: Wonderful malty aroma. Not quite what I expected; very light smell, and quite sweet.

T: Amazing taste. Full body of sweet, malty, goodness, balanced well with a bitter taste. Slight hints of fruits.

M: Great mouthfeel. Good body, but I would have preferred it a bit fuller. A good level of carbonation.

D: Excellent drinkability, especially for a doppelbock. Went through 2 liter glasses quite quickly. Possibly my favorite beer.

07-04-2010 20:12:42 | More by pauljmccain
meathookjones

4.85/5  rDev +12.5%

Dated best before 26 04 06. Pours out a dark brown with reddish highlights and a tall tan creamy head. The head returns quickly to the body leaving speckles of lace. Sweet caramel and dark fruit come on strong with a nice mild dark chocolate in the background. Good amount of roastiness and smoke with light bready malts. First taste is some caramel with a backing of roastiness. Lighter notes of fruit sweetness and bittersweet chocolate mix in well. Very light alcohol is noticeable with a mild earthiness at the finish. Really rich and full flavored brew that I could drink all day. Body is hefty enough to carry deliver the big flavor and goes down smoothly and easily. If only this was available in the states.

12-07-2005 18:33:24 | More by meathookjones
BeerBard

4.85/5  rDev +12.5%

Memories of Andechs...the bottle's bringing them back...
My favorite beerotic moment in life was my first trip to the Andechs Monastery and "gezaufen" (it's a phonetic spelling for "drinking like a beast"...) a variety of beers. I met some wonderful locals (Uwe and Hans)...though I walked the 7 or 8 kilometers up there from the subway station earlier in the day, we later took a cab from the monastery to the subway stop together. I went there a second time about 3 years later with my friend who lives in Bavaria. It was as equally memorable.
Anyone who has the opportunity to go there should go...don't think twice about it. I'm very, very, very serious!
Well, the bottled version I'm drinking has been in my closet about 5 months. It was brought over in my friend's luggage from Bavaria to Austin, as it's not imported to the States, as far as I know. If anyone knows differently, please let me know. Bottled ain't is good as draft...PERIOD!
I'm drinking it side-by-side with an Aventinus Wheat-Dopplebock. I thought they'd be similar. They are, but then again they're not....the Andechs has no "wheat" taste. [As a side-note, the Andechs Wheat Beer is the most wonderful example of the style that I know...the natural bannana flavors are exquisite....but, as you'll see below, you'll have to go there to get the complete indoctrination...the full "flavor"].
The head doesn't last...which is a shame (because I want to rank it higher...I acknowledge my bias). It went flat within a minute (the Aventinus head has lasted 45 minutes now). However, I believe it lasted much longer at the monastery.
The smell is excellent...just take my word on it.
The taste....exceptional...MALTY sweet raison rum currant bannana alcohol and a "hint of hop"...what more can you want?!?!?!
Mouthfeel...as good as it gets for a dopplebock. If you like the style you can't dispute the SUPERIORITY of this beer. It's tremendous!
Drinkability....if I could have this beer every night, I would. I would go to sleep happy with all my troubles erased...all my sins absolved.
If all the world had this beer nightly perhaps we'd all be at PEACE!
I'm in love with Andechs...
Like any true heartsick man in love, I will visit my sweet Andechs again...hopefully within the next year ( a friend is getting married in the Netherlands in March 2004...Bavaria is close enough...only a few hundred miles away...I look forward to a trip after the wedding to Brussels for the Belgians and then Bavaria for the Best of the Rest....my mouth is watering already...keep posted...is anybody really reading this??? CHEERS!).!&$@&@#$

04-19-2004 05:14:15 | More by BeerBard
SheepNutz

Kentucky

4.85/5  rDev +12.5%

A huge ass thanks to Kev for sharing this one!!! Half a liter bottle poured into a tulip-style glass. It pours a medium ruby red color with two fingers of head that die off slowly, leaving a little bit of lacing. The smell is sweet and malty. Lots of caramel going on, with a slightly toasty aroma. Just the slightest bit of alcohol. Very full. The taste is smooth and malty. Both sweet and roasty, a perfect balance. Lots of biscuit malt in there. The harmony of flavors is unreal. The mouthfeel is incredibly thick, yet smooth as silk. The drinkability is deadly for a 7.1% brew. This is awesome.

01-27-2006 01:51:47 | More by SheepNutz
HardTarget

4.85/5  rDev +12.5%

Bottle Inspection: All in German (it was hand carried from Germany by Christine’s Parents: THANKS CHRISTINE’S PARENTS; and Pegasus for being generous enough to share) notes “best by” 21 11 05 (consumed 11 06 05), recommendation to store at 7 degrees C.

Aroma: Rich dark malt, like smelling extract. Flavor association forces me to say dark fruit, but that’s not a fair descriptor. The best descriptor is: Black Bread.

Appearance: Cola amber glass with a finger of thick light tan head that lasts and laces. Very nice clarity as well, truly a lager.

Flavor: The malt/bread of the aroma translates into the taste, but the taste is so rich and full. I stated at first sip “there’s no water in there”. The taste isn’t burnt, but just so very deeply roasted. Earthy with a ghost of smoke.

Mouthfeel: Full and rich with a creamy texture. The alcohol isn’t very strong, but it was very warming. I could feel the warmth in my chest.

Overall Impression: The taste expresses the obvious quality of this brew. It’s just masterful. It strikes me as the most roasted beer ever. I found myself craving roasted chicken while drinking this. Truly a gem; Wish we could get it down here in Texas.

06-12-2005 03:35:49 | More by HardTarget
kmpitz2

Tennessee

4.85/5  rDev +12.5%

Pours a deep amber to brown color with a light head over top, leaving most of the liquid bare. Clarity is perfect. Nose is excellent balance of sweet doughy bread with a toasted crust playing in the bakcground. Its all about bread and toast. There is a light raisinyness there, but faint. Flavor is very nice. Good toasty malt, light notes of brown sugar very mild raisin. Everything is in harmony here. Feel is right at the cusp of being thick, with a very light carbonation. Velvety smooth and almost chewy. An incredibly tasty beer. I would have to say this is the best dopplebock I have ever had. A treat I hope to find again at some point.

01-27-2006 01:56:12 | More by kmpitz2
jjboesen

Maryland

4.85/5  rDev +12.5%

Probably - no, definitely - one of the best beers on earth. It is worth the trip to Munich (and S-5 train) to get here. What makes this exceptional is its' unavailabilty in the states. In fact, this beer is so good, they only serve it on weekdays to keep down the throngs of thirsty Munichers.

06-16-2002 12:52:55 | More by jjboesen
Bogodar

Poland

4.83/5  rDev +12.1%

Dark brown color with ruby note. Caramel, malt, and bitter roasted notes. A bit of honey somewhere in the background, too. The taste, it is simply liquid bread. The head does not keep for too long and is rather flat (what is perfectly fine here). The beer is quite strong but you cannot tell the alcohol level. The alcohol is hidden behind the bread taste. Even the finish does not show any alcohol notes in the palate.
Again... perfect drink for pumpernickel bread slices. Marvelous winter warmer.

06-25-2011 21:33:38 | More by Bogodar
loren01

Oregon

4.83/5  rDev +12.1%

A: Pours a dark brownish color, nice sized frothy white/brown head, good lace down the glass.
S: Smells like fresh baked sweet bread. Lots of maltiness...smells very nice.
T: Sweet toffee and bready malt flavors dominate...slight dark fruitiness in there as well.
M: Medium bodied and very smooth mouthfeel
D: Man I wish I knew how to get this stuff in the states!! One of the best dopplebocks I've had.

04-19-2010 15:33:51 | More by loren01
Bighuge

4.83/5  rDev +12.1%

Clear deep burgandy color. Some slight orange highlights. A slight beige head sits on top. Thick maltiness on the nose. Some molasses tones seep in. Great smell. Body is almost full. Silky smooth in the mouth. Chewy maltiness dominates, and it should. Caramel and toffee notes are big. Hops are there solely for balance. Molasses also makes an appearance on the buds. Beautiful. An elite Dopple. This is so damn easy to drink.

Give me a nicely stoked fireplace, some Van Morrison in the background and 10 of these badboys and I'm smiling.

A Bighuge thanks to Shit and Mrs. Shit for securing this dandy for me.

11-02-2002 21:49:36 | More by Bighuge
Bierfreund

4.8/5  rDev +11.4%

My german wife and her sister had a special surprise for my birthday this year: a bottle of this fantastic Doppelbock and even a glass mug with its name on.

I used to drink this beer while visiting my then-fiance in Germany, but I did not have any of this beer for pretty exactly 5 years.

I poured it into the new mug, and it looked amazing, like black coffee with a beige head. Against the light it had a red shine.

The foam disappeared qickly.

The aroma is undescribable. Karamel is my first thought. Thick, sweet, but not sticky.
Very complex, a bit nutty.

The alcohol is with around 7% not that high for a Doppelbock, but it was very prominent in the taste.

During the last 5 years when I knew I could not get this beer, I was searching for something like this. I have tried quite a lot Bocks and Doppelbocks and other brews, and the closest similar kind is (in my opinion) the Ettaler Curator. And I am happy that I can buy that here in PA.

The Andechser Doppelbock Dunkel is the best beer I have ever tasted in my life, and it is such a shame that it cannot be sold in the US.

And to think that my wife's sister can get it in a regular supermarket for the equivalent of around 2$... Two dollars!... I want to cry...

12-01-2008 09:49:02 | More by Bierfreund
kels

4.8/5  rDev +11.4%

SO excited to have the opportunity to try this beer. I raised my glass in thanks to Metalmonk for the assist before drinking.

Beer pours from the nondescript bottle a warm shade of honey brown. It has moderate clarity with a slightly viscous appearance. The slightest white head fades to rim the top of the beer and leaves behind spots of lace along the sides of the glass.

The nose is full of nice malty sweetness and the light presence of green-appley hops. The grainy breadiness is present but doesn't weigh down the overall aroma. Sweetness is only slightly caramelly and more like fruity, chewy raisins.

Taste is full of toasted malts and a filling, chewy, but not heavy breadiness. The hops are a nice accompaniment, very crisp and appley with only a slight bitterness. It is a pretty simple beer, and oh-so-well done. The balance of the flavors is such that neither is dominant and each holds its own. The feel really assists in this, as it is well carbonated, extremely crisp and bright. The drink is filling, but still very clean and refreshing. Drinkability is as high as it can be.

This beer definitely lives up to the rating. I only wish I could get it regularly. It would definitely be a permanent fixture in my fridge.

10-19-2009 08:28:05 | More by kels
paterlodie

4.8/5  rDev +11.4%

This is what a "beerlover" like me loves. Best before 28-09-05. Presentation is how you want it to be for a DarkDoubleBock. Perfect, yellowish and longlasting thick head. Most beautifull darkbrown color you can get in your brew and totaly clear. Nose is mostly maltarome with lots of roast. Further sweet and yeastfruity and even some hops in background. Taste is mostly exceptional being as full as it is, burnt, sweetmalty, hoppy and having a bitterweet aftertaste! Mouthfeel is like taste; exceptional and don't know if any beer make so much contact with your tasting pupils; just every one is giving this top enjoyment tinkle. Drinkability is then off course also ok but is maybe overfeeding you. Highly recomendable!

02-14-2005 16:46:49 | More by paterlodie
Georgiabeer

Georgia

4.8/5  rDev +11.4%

Thanks to RedHaze for the chance to try this beer. Very generous in a trade, and I'd probably not have had the chance to try this otherwise. Pours a very dark brown with ruby highlights. The head is not bad, but nothing special, and it fades fairly quickly to a thin swirly head. Smells of dark pumpernickel bread, very dry malt, blackstrap molasses, and an earthy bitterness. Black bread in a glass. The taste is even richer and breadier, but with some wonderful dark bitterness laced throughout. More black bread, and an earthy, grainy bitterness, especially at the finish with dark chocolate bitterness. Up front there is ssome creamy sweetness to start things off. Very complex, chewy, and rich. What a wonderful beer! Creamy, rich, stiff, and bitter in turns as far as mouthfeel goes. I could drink this beer all day- its just that wonderful and perfectly balanced. By far the best dopplebock I've ever had, and much less sweet and fruity than most.

09-21-2008 22:02:40 | More by Georgiabeer
Bitterbill

Wyoming

4.8/5  rDev +11.4%

This bottle courtesy of Bierman9. Thanks, David, it's been on my Wants list for years!

I pour it in a glass that can hold the entire contents of this half liter bottle, and it is a clear brownish red colour with 2 fingers of foam. Ahh...this is a fantastic looking brew.

The smell is big grainy notes with side orders of some chocolate and some sweet malt. Taking a few more whiffs, I can't get any more and the more whiffs I take, the weaker the smell becomes. Weird but that's what I'm sensing.

Now the taste, is another matter entirely. Nice sweet notes of caramel malt and milk chocolate, some light bitternes from hot cocoa, and a very pleasing overall grain bill that works perfectly with everything else. A very malt forward brew, as the style would dictate, but the flavours mesh so well together that I think I'm tasting a little bit of heaven. WOW!

Right on the cusp of being full bodied, the carbonation here is just enough to keep things very interesting; in other words, on the light side. This has an awesome mouthfeel, like liquid silk.

Drinkability? If I had another bottle, I'd pop the cap on that puppy too! Incredibly drinkable with neither a hide nor hair sight of the alcohol. Man, if this was an easier beer to find like, say, it was in town, I'd be drinking it several times a week. One word sums it all up for me...Incredible!

12-24-2009 23:28:00 | More by Bitterbill
PeprSprYoFace

4.78/5  rDev +10.9%

The first bottle I busted open in line at the veritas 007 release. Also gave myself a good pour. Aquired this bottle from digita7693 from Germany. Expensive shipment but worth it. Glad to have another to drink soon and will probably be trading for more.

Pours a dark brown color. Like a far brown stained wood. Nice head and decent lacing.

Aroma is more roasty than expected. Compared to other dopple bocks I've had. Not alot of aroma but also some caramel and that malty lager aroma you get from a bock.

Taste was more roasty than I expected but had a good semi sweet chocolate flavor I was not expecting. Toasted sugar and caramel with the roastyness of the grains is very nice. Also a bit of that typical lager flavor.

Mouthfeel is a little less viscous than I expected (compared to celebrator) but very nice. Nice medium carb.

Overall I will be trading (with hopefully my regular germany trading partner) for this many more times. Gunna keep this one around for others to try.

04-19-2010 05:01:00 | More by PeprSprYoFace
largadeer

4.78/5  rDev +10.9%

Appearance: Dark brown in color, brilliantly bright and clear when held to the light, with three fingers of thick tan head that lasts and lasts.

Smell: Toasted grain, chocolate and roasted nuts - not especially sweet however. There's a touch of fruit beneath it all, berries and figs coming to mind.

Taste & mouthfeel: Chocolatey and toasted with a light fruity sweetness, hints of graham cracker and roasted fig. Bitterness is pretty reigned in, there's not a ton of hop character beyond the mild bitterness in the finish and an herbal undercurrent. There's a mild sweetness to begin with, but this is profoundly dry and crisp in the finish, making for an unreasonably drinkable 7% beer.

Had a liter of this on tap at the pub in Munich and was yearning for more as I left, simply a phenomenal beer. I'm inclined to say that this beer has to be tried on tap to fully grasp how good it is, as the fresh bottle I tried earlier in the year simply did not compare.

10-28-2008 18:55:22 | More by largadeer
arturorg

Spain

Served into a Heinneken mug

The pour it was a dark brown resembling any cola with a big off white creamy head that dissipates rather quickly leaving a small lacing

The smell (for me) it was overpowered by the malts and coffee with hints of licorice and banana.

The taste (it was awesome), malts, coffee, licorice (also my wife tasted some chocolate that i couldn't), the alcohol taste it's very smooth for a 7.1% ABV, I think if you have a couple it can sneak on you. The flavor it's not very long lasting the only thing that leaves behind it's coffee feel in the mouth.

In all it's a very light beer to drink for a dark one with complex flavors, that leaves you wanting more.

I will have more!!!

08-03-2010 07:53:03 | More by arturorg
KrautAficionado

4.78/5  rDev +10.9%

cherry-lacquered brown in color with a dense, spongy, 3/4" tan head riding on top for the duration of the beer. Aroma is delicately composed of french silk pie with chocolate graham crust, stark chocolate toffee, flame licked tree bark, and turtle fudge frozen custard. Flavor chimes in as lighter fairing. Cocoa dusted, crushed graham crackers. Silky chocolate trait folds back the fragile flavor layers. Liquefied chocolate wafers emit a vibe akin to a touch of room temp hot chocolate, cooled at its warmest state with an ice cube or two and dulled it down by doing so. Mildly roasted accents with circumstantial caramel drizzles. Errs on the light side, gently tossing over the tongue with a moment’s respite at more concrete semi-chocolate characteristics. A mild chocolate butterscotch generality gently weaves in and out as we go along.

07-18-2011 04:33:06 | More by KrautAficionado
rotsaruch

4.78/5  rDev +10.9%

Oh boy, the monks on the mountain have created one of the world's best brew. Guys and girls, this is what a malty, craft brew is all about.

The appearance is a clear, deep burgandy in color. The head was slighly beige in color which slowly dissispated into a thin lace. This brew is about malt, but in a very subtle, not obvious way. The maltiness fragrance was very noticeable on the nose. The body is full and distinctive. The taste can only be characterised as very a smooth, silky mouthfeel. The maltiness flavor dominates up front with some apparent caramel and toffee tones. The hops are present, but solely in a supporting role providing a very delightful dry finish. It has to be one of the finest doppelbock brewed on the planet Earth. I really look forward to having this brew on draft. A truly exquiste brew!!

05-18-2004 01:39:01 | More by rotsaruch