Andechser Doppelbock Dunkel - Klosterbrauerei Andechs

Andechser Doppelbock DunkelAndechser Doppelbock Dunkel

Klosterbrauerei Andechs visit their website
Germany

Doppelbock |  7.10% ABV

This world famous bock from Bavaria’s Holy Mountain is not meant to be rushed, but savoured slowly. As solid as a rock, Andechser Doppelbock Dunkel presides over the evening meal with a colour reminiscent of dark copper with nuances of fiery red. Its clear gleaming look harmonises with its firm, fine pored head.

Also the aroma delights the connoisseur: soft roasted accents and a nuance of dried fruit carrying a vein of caramel. This Doppelbock Dunkel from Bavaria’s Holy Mountain presents a pleasant effervescence. And then there’s the unmistakable flavour: mouthcoating and velvety, strong and yet pleasantly malty – a powerful, robust body. At the same time, it develops an easily recognisable sweetness, embraced in roasted cocoa and a light, bitter hoppiness.

Concluding with a powerful punch, this Doppelbock departs with a lingering aftertaste of quality plain chocolate. A strong Doppelbock that embodies the centuries old Benedictine brewing tradition, sip by delicious sip.

(Beer added by: Bierman9 on 06-16-2002)
PatGreer

4.25/5  rDev -1.4%

06-10-2014 01:29:09 | More by PatGreer
JeffreyJDavis

4.26/5  rDev -1.2%

Have had this a few times on draft and finally picked up a 0.5L bottle at the local Trinkmarkt. Let me start by saying that I'm not a huge Doppelbock fan, but that I enjoyed this beer a lot.

A: Pours a dark dark brown with some red tint to it. Clear, no turbidity. One or two fingers of head which formed quickly and dissipated equally quickly with almost no lacing.

N: It's nice, of course, mostly malty earthiness with some sweet toffee smells. I get some combo sweet and salty aroma like teriyaki or butterscotch cookies with sea salt. Smells better than I make it sound.

T: Not as sweet as I would have guessed from the nose, more toasty than it smelled. Nutty malty breadiness, with molasses and maybe a cola flavor. Sweet dark fruits, but not overpowering at all. I don't get much alcohol, 7.1% is tucked away nicely. Slightest bit of hop in the finish.

MF: I like the mouthfeel on this, coats the tongue well with good, balanced carbonation. A little too lingering maybe, a little creamy and oily at the end.

Overall this is a great beer and worthy of being highly ranked as (one of) the best in it's style. This is more subdued and balanced than some of the American Craft takes on doppelbock. It's in the same league as Ayinger Celebrator in my book.

09-30-2012 20:25:47 | More by JeffreyJDavis
liamt07

Ontario (Canada)

4.26/5  rDev -1.2%

Shared by Pino, 500ml into a tulip.

Dark brown with mahogany hues, beige head with great retention and good lace. Nose is bready, jam and dark fruit notes, nuts and toffee. Taste has mroe bready flavours, dark fruits, toasted grains, a sweeter 'jammy' flavour pervades but dries out in the finish. Medium full, real smooth lower carbonation without any alcohol. An excellent doppel, would doppel again.

03-17-2013 14:14:08 | More by liamt07
jcalabre

4.28/5  rDev -0.7%

Originally sampled on 1 April 2003. This beer is a work of art. Nice dark brown color, w/ a tan head and a malty nose, I'll have one anytime. Typically, I'm not big on lagers, but this Doppelbock is great. Wonderful maltiness, this is simply a world class beer that any beer geek/snob needs to try.

05-27-2003 16:56:15 | More by jcalabre
TheSarge

4.28/5  rDev -0.7%

This brew is a prime example of a doppel bock. As far as appearances go this produces a beautiful two finger inch light khaki colored head, that dwindles to decent lacing, lasting all the way through.

Aromas were a little weak. I could barely detect anything but slight carmalized sugars and sweet bread.

The taste is really robust, though. I detect carmalized sugars along with the doughy sweetbreads.

This is warming to the palate and will serve good as a winter treat.

08-05-2007 17:19:28 | More by TheSarge
Derek

British Columbia (Canada)

4.28/5  rDev -0.7%

I was at the monastery 3 years ago & thought their doppelbock was a little boozy fresh from the tap. So I picked up a bottle & it's been in my fridge since! (Best before 28 08 06)

A: Deep reddish-brown with a light tan head; ring of retention, some lacing.

S: Dark fruit & bread, dark caramel, light spicing, slightly herbal with hints of alcohol.

T: Plenty of dark fruit, bready, dark (almost burnt) caramel, roasted nuts, peppery spicing, herbal, slight steelie grassiness, hints of chocolate, balanced bitterness, slight alcohol warmth.

M: Fairly full body is smooth with an off-dry finish.

D: Quite drinkable.

01-19-2009 01:55:19 | More by Derek
swizzlenuts

Wisconsin

4.28/5  rDev -0.7%

A: A dark beer with a bit of a red tint towards the bottom. There is very little head on this beer; the head leaves rather quickly. There appears to be a slight bit of carbonation

S: Holy shit, this smells incredibly nice. It has a sweet malty smell too it, but there is a underlying hit of fruits.

T: There is more of a traditional lager taste to this beer, but yet for some reason it doesn't hurt the flavour of the beer. The malts must make sure the shitness of a lager stays away. The fruits of this beer king of linger on and it is the last thing you taste. This beer is 7.1% yet I cannot taste any alcohol. It's like a smooth lager, goes down incredibly easy.

M: It's a bit light like most bocks, and has some carbonation.

D: This is incredibly drinkable, which is bad because this can get you quite toasted after just a few.

Damn good doppelbock!

03-02-2008 02:00:15 | More by swizzlenuts
kbutler1

4.28/5  rDev -0.7%

Bottle. Courtesy of drabmuh on BA. Pours a dark copper brown red color with a big 2 1/2 finger head that settles down rather quickly to a nice offwhite coaster head. Malty aroma for sure with notes of raisins, plums, nuts, caramel, and slight spice like cinnamon. Minimal lace left on the glass. Nice medium mouthfeel with good carbonation. The taste is a real nice balance. Slightly sweet with fruit like characteristics and a nice bready, biscuity backbone that balances it all out. Ends pretty cleanly without any apparent bitterness. The alcohol is very existant in the flavors. I imagine drinking this from a huge stein in Germany with all my BA & RB buddies, wouldn't that be sweet!?

11-03-2010 00:51:07 | More by kbutler1
JCBears

Germany

4.3/5  rDev -0.2%

appearance: rich amber brown, hints of real red in there not much head but you can imagine why

smell: roasted malted barely stands out with a bit of alcohol in there some walnuts round it out

taste: what a rich walnut tanin taste, a bit over powering but I enjoy it. Almost a wintry brew

mouthfeel: haunts the roof of the mouth with a stratigicly placed biter at the end and those tannins

overall: A great dynamic brew this is one you have when you are looking to drink beer, not party not have drunken good times but really drink a brew. One thing pops into my head $2000 call girl, you spend some time enjoying that

08-25-2013 18:37:59 | More by JCBears
Sean9689

4.3/5  rDev -0.2%

I finally ended up scoring one of these. This one is tough to find, but it finally ended up in my fridge. Poured from 500ml bottle into Pilsner glass.

A - Pours a burnt caramel color with a huge light tan-colored head. The head on this one is massive, even with a very careful/light pour. There's lots of sticky lacing along the side of the glass and it doesn't seem the huge cap is going anywhere.

S - As soon as I pried the cap off, I could smell the wonderful malt aroma. Lots of burnt malts, caramel, molasses, and toffee. There's such a nice sweetness to this beer, it's wonderful to savor the aroma over and over.

T - Very similar to the nose. A wonderful malt profile, some caramel, toffee, molasses, etc. There's a very nice sweetness, but in no way is it overpowering or too much...it's just right...in fact, I would say perfect. A nice touch of sweetness on the finish mixed with some bitter dark chocolate.

M - Light to medium bodied, frothy smooth carbonation, oily/creamy finish. I would expect this to have a bit more of a body, but it doesn't detract too much.

D - I see can why this one is rated to high here on BA. I didn't expect to be so blown away by this one. It easily surpassed my expectations. I don't know when I'll get to try another, but I am already looking forward to it.

01-24-2010 23:16:33 | More by Sean9689
webmanspidey

4.3/5  rDev -0.2%

This is a medium brown color, fizzy with a slight head. The smell is very sweet and heavy on the malt. Dominant smell is brown sugar. Taste is sweet and heavy, with hints of roasted marshmallows and almost no bitterness. Mouthfeel is slightly on the lighter, fizzy side for something this strong and tasty. Alcohol is hidden very well. Overall, one of the best of the style I've had.

08-13-2013 16:50:20 | More by webmanspidey
Cs1987

Australia

4.3/5  rDev -0.2%

Appearance - Clear dark red. 1 finger of head with good retention.

Smell - Strong, nutty and earthy, with an unusual touch of soy sauce.

Taste - Very nutty for a doppelbock. Huge malt presence, but well balanced. Delicious.

Mouthfeel - Very smooth.

Drinkability - Good for the style.

Overall - I have no idea how I didn't think this beer was anything particularly special the first time I tried it.

05-19-2010 11:03:42 | More by Cs1987
AltBock

4.3/5  rDev -0.2%

22 oz./0,5l bottle with a small picturesque drawing of the Kloster Andechs brewery. Above the picture is some German that says "Genuß für Leib & Seele." According to my free translation (sometimes it's correct) it means "Enjoyment for body & soul." It sounds right, but I could be wrong. On the bottom is says it follows the rules of the Reinheitsgebot. All of this was on a nice gold with a bright blue trim label. The back label was almost the same color, but the gold was just a little bit darker than the front. On the top of the back label is a real life picture of people enjoying their beer in the Kloster Andechs beer hall or beer garden, or whatever you want to call it. Below that is some more German and below that was the word bock bier or beer in several different languages, like Cerveza Negra Extra in Spanish. In fact I just noticed that most of the back label was in different languages. In the different languages, they labeled the ingredients and even a best before date that was clearly marked (which was very nice of them) 22 03 07. That means I still got till March 22, 2007 to drink the other two I got from a friend that went to Germany. I'm glad that I finally got a chance to try this Doppelbock!

Appearance: When poured into my favorite Doppelbock Pilsener glass, the beer was a nice dark clear ruby mahogany color with a head of foam that was an off white color (almost tan in color) and that was 1 inch in height. It left plenty of white sticky lace and foamy white rings around the edge of my glass.

Smell: I was first going to say that the aroma was disappointing, but after the beer warmed up, the aroma got slightly better. It had a dominate aroma of sweet roasted malts and then some nuts, slightest hint of caramel and dark fruits, and all of this ended with a bitter hops finish. Don't get your hopes up, not that much of a hops aroma was there, just a little bit.

Taste: When I first popped the cap and took my first sip of this beer, I thought to myself that this can't be one of the best Doppelbocks in the world, this doesn't have much of a taste to it. All I could taste at that time was roasted malts and alcohol. It wasn't that cold, but like the smell, when it warmed up it got better. It had a taste of sweet dark roasted malts, splash of sweet caramel, bitter burnt hops (interesting) and a mild taste of alcohol at the end. There wasn't a wide variety of tastes, but what was there was really good.

Mouthfeel: It wasn't as thick as I wanted it to be, but it was medium bodied and with a very mild taste of roasted malts, hint of bitter hops, and some alcohol in the aftertaste. The only real disappointing aspect of this beer.

Drinkability: I sure as hell didn't have a problem drinking this one down, but I truly thought this beer was going to be like the label, (liquid) gold. Instead it was like what the label stated (only if my translation was correct), it was really an Enjoyment for body & soul. Better yet, if you go or a friend goes to pick this beer up in Germany, it's very affordable. My friend only paid 0.95 Euro for a 500 ml bottle of this beer. I'm glad I got to try this fine Doppelbock!

09-03-2006 19:00:59 | More by AltBock
writerLJBerg

Oregon

4.3/5  rDev -0.2%

500ml courtesy of Don. Thanks! Tulip.

A: Plum and brown color with a quarter inch lasting head. Decent legs.

N: Clove, brown sugar, malt, soy sauce, prune. Has a deep appreciable sweetness that never ventures to cloying.

T: Complex. Brown sugar, some earthy hop bitterness. A hint of smokiness and some soy sauce, but not as a flaw. Incredibly balanced. Clove again. Cola. Breadiness like a dark rye loaf.

M: Rich and full. Very clean.

O: A rewarding beer. A veritable loaf of bread in a glass. Extremely glad t have tried this, and a beer I will revisit whenever I get the chance.

11-12-2012 17:30:16 | More by writerLJBerg
Metalmonk

4.33/5  rDev +0.5%

Burnt red-rust color with a super-creamy head composed of zillions of tiny bubbles tightly bonded and looking like fresh cream. Immediate lace and the head sticks around for the duration.

Wonderful aroma gives off strong waves of caramel, milk chocolate, toffee, root beer, and just the right amount of alcohol. Also reminds of any number of caramel/chocolate candies.

Flavor is all the nose promises, especially toffee and root beer. Also some raisin and burnt sugar. Sweet at its center, but with a delicate dessert-like spice that I can't pinpoint. Maybe a mixture of anise and cinnamon. Together with a forward but not cloying alcohol presence, this is a bold, unsubtle doppelbock that drinks like a replacement for candy-and-liqueur after-dinner treats.

Medium-bodied at best, the texture here is slick and slippery, with just a little bit of carbonation propping up the exciting flavors.

Had NO IDEA this beer was so highly-rated on BA. Had I known, I might have picked up more bottles on my recent German adventure, but judging from the # of reviews here, maybe it's available in the states? Nevertheless, now that I know it, I will definitely be on the lookout for more. Yummy, and that's putting it lightly.

07-29-2009 22:30:40 | More by Metalmonk
Proteus93

4.33/5  rDev +0.5%

Had the opportunity to try this following a trade with RedHaze. Thanks, man!

A: A deep, bronze with some soft, reddish highlights. A great coloured bock - a light sandy, creamy head. A great lacing all the way down the glass in cascading layers. Perhaps the most perfect looking pour I've seen.

S: Soft, toffee sweetness blended in with a toasty malt scent - whole grain bread, and slightly cake-like. A little vegetal - almost like green bean.

T + M + D: A nice, rich body with almost a creamy butteriness to the feel. This complements the warm malts very nicely. A bit of a butter-icing flavour. A sparkling carbonation adds a nice touch to the already great feel. A delicious doppelbock, and perhaps one of my favourites to date. The warming of alcohol comes out a little bit towards the end of the bottle, but keeps fairly well hidden for the most half. Makes for quite easy drinking, with a little kick on the way out.

10-15-2008 01:22:30 | More by Proteus93
Thehuntmaster

South Africa

500ml bottle 7,1% Abv

I have never been a huge fan of bock beers, but I decided to give this one a go as it's one of the best in the style. Lets see whether it can convert me.

Appearance: Half way through the pour and I can already see that this is going to be an amazing looking beer. Crystal clear, deep crimson with stunning highlights when held to even the smallest light source. Good sized, cream coloured head that has pretty good retention and leaves a decent amount of lace stuck to the glass.

Smell: Wow, after the first whiff I know that this beer is going to change my perceptions towards bocks. Wonderful, slightly caramelly roasted malt aromas dominate the nose, darkish fruits (dates predominantly), molasses and a hint on smokiness are also noted.

Taste: The taste follows perfectly from the nose. Dark caramel malt, dates, cherries, molasses and a hint of coffee are just a few of the flavours that come to mind during each sip. Thankfully alcohol is barely -if at all- noted in the flavour.

Mouthfeel: What a pleasure this beer is to drink. Just fuller than medium bodied with perfect, ultra-smooth carbonation.

Drinkability: This beer has certainly convinced me that there are great bock beers out there and I will most certainly be having this one again many times in the future.

08-19-2010 09:55:09 | More by Thehuntmaster
dansmcd

Australia

4.33/5  rDev +0.5%

A - Big, dirty yellowy head billowing above the darkest almost black ruby essence.

S - Yeasty. coffee, chocolate and raisin.

T - Very malty. Coffee, prunes, bitter dark chocolate, and smoky roasted malts. Delicious.

M - Alcohol content veiled in this smooth, creamy full bodied dopple.

O - A cracker. Very easy to drink but well worth savouring. Deserving of its high rating.

07-27-2011 23:38:41 | More by dansmcd
mothman

United Kingdom (Wales)

4.33/5  rDev +0.5%

Thanks to kbutler1 for this top 100 tick.

Poured into tulip.

Pour 1 finger of khakie head that settles to a small layer. Color is a Mahogony brown.

Aroma: Lots of toffee and caramel malts with some toasted notes. Has some dark dried fruits. Plums, raisins, and dates. This nose on this beer is spot on.

Taste: Fairly close to the nose. Very malty. Toffee, caramel, and toasted notes. A bit biscuity. Has a touch of spice notes. More dark dried fruits (same as nose). Has a bit of cereal grain flavor to it. I like it.

Mouthfeel: Creamy and smooth. Medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. Ends a bit dry and malty.

Overall, a very nice lager. One of the top imo. The toastedness really ties this beer together. I am a fan of this one. Pretty drinkable.

11-03-2010 00:49:44 | More by mothman
davidchollar

Washington

4.33/5  rDev +0.5%

I'm not familiar with the doppelbock, so this is more of a general review, not exactly style-specific. But having said that, I do like all types of beer, so the review is by no means biased.
looks good but unremarkable. dark chestnut brown, off-white head
smells like whoppers !!! caramel, fruit, dessert...mmmm smells really good
tastes awesome, like all the smells only in beer form. very thirst-quenching, not too strong, drinkable. I'll have another !

10-07-2005 12:48:53 | More by davidchollar
Jadjunk

Georgia

4.33/5  rDev +0.5%

"Benediktinische Gastfreundschaft im Andescher Bräustüberl." Brewed in the style of a Doppelbock, one of the highest rated Doppelbock beers in the world, this beer is not distributed outside of the abbey. Thanks to my brother for bringing this highly anticipated treat back from Germany. Date on bottle is 15 03 12.

Poured from a 500ml. bottle to a flute glass. Served north of 51º Fahrenheit.

(Appearance) Pours a thin copper cream head of a frothy consistency. Body color is a mahogany orange amber of high clarity with ample carbonation. Retention is average. Appearance is pretty nice. 3.5

(Smell) Moderately toasted german malts, a touch of grain character for depth. Big notes of plums, dates and figs and a clean bready yeast tone. A pinch of warming ester alcohol. Very clean aroma, but full of depth. Potency is medium/high. Very inviting aroma. 4.25

(Taste) A modest caramel and german malt sweetness with a touch of bready grain depth, despite being even cleaner than the nose gave off. Immediately follows through with a wave of dark fruit characters- figs, dates and raisins with a moderate sweetness that transitions seamlessly from the malt profile to finish off with a clean, ideally balanced finish. Hops are mostly faded but the malt and yeast characters in this beer are truly enough to carry it unaided. 4.5

(Mouthfeel) Very clean texture with a smooth bready texture, moderate carbonation. Body is medium for the style, medium/heavy overall. Alcohol presence is low. Really nice texture and carbonation level overall. 4.25

(Overall) I really enjoy the depth and the drinkability of this Doppelbock. My favorite part is the yeast depth falling together so well with the malt profile. This is a well hidden gem of a Doppelbock. Definetly worth trying! 4.25

Klosterbrauerei Andechs'
Andechser Doppelbock Dunkel
4.33/5.00

05-27-2013 02:57:51 | More by Jadjunk
dcmchew

Romania

4.34/5  rDev +0.7%

Pours dark copper with light beige head, lasting for a while.
Smell of roasted grains, caramel, dark fruit and spices.
First sip brings nice rich chocolatey malts, lightly roasted, with lots of brown sugar/caramel. There's also fruitiness, more accentuated later on, with date, raisin, dried plums and red apple peel. Tasty spices, with some vanilla punching through. Nuttiness. Good hop presence in the finish, alongside a decent bitterness.
Alcohol and caramel create a nice rum flavour, never boozy. Smooth and almost creamy, if not for a bit of unwanted fizz.
A great doppelbock, rich and flavourful.

01-30-2014 19:47:00 | More by dcmchew
bditty187

Nebraska

4.35/5  rDev +0.9%

Bright plum-red in hue with orange-brown influences; excellent color depth. Vaguely beige head, at the apex the head was about a finger tall but the foam quickly fell to a thin, soapy cap. I wish the head was bigger and there was better retention. Similarly, there is not much lacing, only a couple clumps that lazily hung to the side of the glass. While the color of this beer is excellent nothing else about the appearance is all that noteworthy.

Clean roasted maltiness dominates the nose, kisses of chocolate, char, molasses too. Hints of dark fruits are noticeable as well, some figs and dates. For a malty nose it does not seem sweet. I truly love the charred caramel-toasty husk and chocolate aromas. I have never smelled a beer (exactly) like this. Sure, the nose smells of a German Doppelbock. The bouquet is different (not necessarily better) than Celebrator or Curator. The more I smell the nose the more I appreciate the subtle complexity. The alcohol is basically absent. I get a vague hint of hop spice and grass... or I could be full of it. Anyway, the nose is excellent.

The palate is a touch sweeter than I was expecting but it is still not as sweet as some Doppelbocks. The husky-charred caramel maltiness is lovely and unique. The mix of chocolate and kiss of roast mixes well the aforementioned and the smattering of figs, dates, and raisins. I also detect lightly spicy, soft warmth from the alcohol, licorice, brown sugar with a slight smoky nuttiness. Rich flavors, complex but not overwhelming. Delicate but bold. This is a gem of a beer. Big, thick, chewy aftertaste... my tongue is coated with this beer.

Maybe the carbonation could be livelier; it could help the heavy felling. Near full in body, hearty mouthfeel. Very nice!

I never thought I'd try this beer. I never sought it out. I believe in Beer Karma. Low and behold... I got a bottle thanks to RedHaze (fresh from Germany, I should add). There is some fairly high beer geek hype for Andechser Doppelbock in much the same way there is for Timothy Taylor Landlord. Both beers delivered. I thought this beer was amazing, very tasty and quite easy and enjoyable to drink. Is this the best Doppelbock in the world? Not sure. Best beer from Germany? Not sure. Is it a damn good beer? YES! Thanks again RedHaze.

06-16-2008 19:25:49 | More by bditty187
Beertracker

Oklahoma

4.35/5  rDev +0.9%

Andechser Doppelbock Dunkel is best served at traditional cellar temperatures (50-55F) into a traditional tumbler or Willibecher. This Kloster doppelbock pours up sublime with a billowy cream colored head which generously tops the deep mahogony body. However, the retention suffers slightly due to the alcohol. The aroma is envitingly rich with some notable melanoidins and richly toasted grains that's reminiscent of freshly baked raisin bread. Hints of fruitiness (e.g. caramel apples, baked fig bars & chocolate-plum sauce) and light alcohol interplay nicely at the rim of the glass. The flavor starts off rich & slightly grainy with some cloying malty sweetness which gives into some underlying spiciness from the Noble hops that finally catch up to add some balance to this malt monster. There's just a touch of cheek warming in the slightly nutty-raisiny sweet finish. The body is medium-full to full bodied with just a perfect amount of carbonation. Very nice!

This is a wonderful, classic doppelbock from one of Germany's remaining monastic breweries. Try pairing this Kloster doppelbock with hearty game like black pepper-teriyaki marinated venison or orange-marmalade glazed duck. If you're in the mood for something more traditional then try spit-roasted Schweinshaxn (pork knuckles) seasoned with caraway seed & white pepper, served with a plate of red cabbage sauerkraut, mushroom-gravy covered spätzle and thinly sliced sweet onions & radi (white radish). How about some cinnamon glazed apple dumplings for dessert? Here's to liquid bread!

PROST! Beertracker

10-25-2006 05:05:47 | More by Beertracker
scottfrie

4.35/5  rDev +0.9%

500ml bottle into imperial pint glass. Been wanting to try this one for more than 5 years.

A: Pours a deep caramel brown with mahogany highlights beneath a fizzy and active light tan head that rather quickly faded into a wispy film and fuzzy collar.
S: Very sugary and sweet notes of caramel, dried dates and raisins dominate, with notes of grapes, cocoa, spice, earthy hops, iron, and apple juice beneath.
T: Not as sugary as the nose but the flavors of candied dates, dried figs, raisin, cocoa and mild spice are easily noticeable. I get hints of leather, crème brulee, and herbal hops in the finish, and the aftertaste has a touch of brown sugar, bread crust, and very mild booze.
M: Heavy and chewy mouthfeel, slick and smooth medium-full body, and low but fizzy carbonation.
O: Extremely balanced, smooth and complex. Not as sweet as Celebrator, but more complex and integrated. Very well done.

01-01-2014 22:13:01 | More by scottfrie