Andechser Doppelbock Dunkel - Klosterbrauerei Andechs

Andechser Doppelbock DunkelAndechser Doppelbock Dunkel

Klosterbrauerei Andechs visit their website
Germany

Doppelbock |  7.10% ABV

This world famous bock from Bavaria’s Holy Mountain is not meant to be rushed, but savoured slowly. As solid as a rock, Andechser Doppelbock Dunkel presides over the evening meal with a colour reminiscent of dark copper with nuances of fiery red. Its clear gleaming look harmonises with its firm, fine pored head.

Also the aroma delights the connoisseur: soft roasted accents and a nuance of dried fruit carrying a vein of caramel. This Doppelbock Dunkel from Bavaria’s Holy Mountain presents a pleasant effervescence. And then there’s the unmistakable flavour: mouthcoating and velvety, strong and yet pleasantly malty – a powerful, robust body. At the same time, it develops an easily recognisable sweetness, embraced in roasted cocoa and a light, bitter hoppiness.

Concluding with a powerful punch, this Doppelbock departs with a lingering aftertaste of quality plain chocolate. A strong Doppelbock that embodies the centuries old Benedictine brewing tradition, sip by delicious sip.

(Beer added by: Bierman9 on 06-16-2002)

muskiesman, Feb 24, 2013

AaronOp, Sep 04, 2013

Sturmthis, Jul 22, 2013

PatGreer, Jun 10, 2014
4.26/5  rDev -1.2%

Have had this a few times on draft and finally picked up a 0.5L bottle at the local Trinkmarkt. Let me start by saying that I'm not a huge Doppelbock fan, but that I enjoyed this beer a lot.

A: Pours a dark dark brown with some red tint to it. Clear, no turbidity. One or two fingers of head which formed quickly and dissipated equally quickly with almost no lacing.

N: It's nice, of course, mostly malty earthiness with some sweet toffee smells. I get some combo sweet and salty aroma like teriyaki or butterscotch cookies with sea salt. Smells better than I make it sound.

T: Not as sweet as I would have guessed from the nose, more toasty than it smelled. Nutty malty breadiness, with molasses and maybe a cola flavor. Sweet dark fruits, but not overpowering at all. I don't get much alcohol, 7.1% is tucked away nicely. Slightest bit of hop in the finish.

MF: I like the mouthfeel on this, coats the tongue well with good, balanced carbonation. A little too lingering maybe, a little creamy and oily at the end.

Overall this is a great beer and worthy of being highly ranked as (one of) the best in it's style. This is more subdued and balanced than some of the American Craft takes on doppelbock. It's in the same league as Ayinger Celebrator in my book.

JeffreyJDavis, Sep 30, 2012
4.26/5  rDev -1.2%

Shared by Pino, 500ml into a tulip.

Dark brown with mahogany hues, beige head with great retention and good lace. Nose is bready, jam and dark fruit notes, nuts and toffee. Taste has mroe bready flavours, dark fruits, toasted grains, a sweeter 'jammy' flavour pervades but dries out in the finish. Medium full, real smooth lower carbonation without any alcohol. An excellent doppel, would doppel again.

liamt07, Mar 17, 2013
4.28/5  rDev -0.7%

Originally sampled on 1 April 2003. This beer is a work of art. Nice dark brown color, w/ a tan head and a malty nose, I'll have one anytime. Typically, I'm not big on lagers, but this Doppelbock is great. Wonderful maltiness, this is simply a world class beer that any beer geek/snob needs to try.

jcalabre, May 27, 2003
4.28/5  rDev -0.7%

This brew is a prime example of a doppel bock. As far as appearances go this produces a beautiful two finger inch light khaki colored head, that dwindles to decent lacing, lasting all the way through.

Aromas were a little weak. I could barely detect anything but slight carmalized sugars and sweet bread.

The taste is really robust, though. I detect carmalized sugars along with the doughy sweetbreads.

This is warming to the palate and will serve good as a winter treat.

TheSarge, Aug 05, 2007
4.28/5  rDev -0.7%

I was at the monastery 3 years ago & thought their doppelbock was a little boozy fresh from the tap. So I picked up a bottle & it's been in my fridge since! (Best before 28 08 06)

A: Deep reddish-brown with a light tan head; ring of retention, some lacing.

S: Dark fruit & bread, dark caramel, light spicing, slightly herbal with hints of alcohol.

T: Plenty of dark fruit, bready, dark (almost burnt) caramel, roasted nuts, peppery spicing, herbal, slight steelie grassiness, hints of chocolate, balanced bitterness, slight alcohol warmth.

M: Fairly full body is smooth with an off-dry finish.

D: Quite drinkable.

Derek, Jan 19, 2009
4.28/5  rDev -0.7%

A: A dark beer with a bit of a red tint towards the bottom. There is very little head on this beer; the head leaves rather quickly. There appears to be a slight bit of carbonation

S: Holy shit, this smells incredibly nice. It has a sweet malty smell too it, but there is a underlying hit of fruits.

T: There is more of a traditional lager taste to this beer, but yet for some reason it doesn't hurt the flavour of the beer. The malts must make sure the shitness of a lager stays away. The fruits of this beer king of linger on and it is the last thing you taste. This beer is 7.1% yet I cannot taste any alcohol. It's like a smooth lager, goes down incredibly easy.

M: It's a bit light like most bocks, and has some carbonation.

D: This is incredibly drinkable, which is bad because this can get you quite toasted after just a few.

Damn good doppelbock!

swizzlenuts, Mar 02, 2008
4.28/5  rDev -0.7%

Bottle. Courtesy of drabmuh on BA. Pours a dark copper brown red color with a big 2 1/2 finger head that settles down rather quickly to a nice offwhite coaster head. Malty aroma for sure with notes of raisins, plums, nuts, caramel, and slight spice like cinnamon. Minimal lace left on the glass. Nice medium mouthfeel with good carbonation. The taste is a real nice balance. Slightly sweet with fruit like characteristics and a nice bready, biscuity backbone that balances it all out. Ends pretty cleanly without any apparent bitterness. The alcohol is very existant in the flavors. I imagine drinking this from a huge stein in Germany with all my BA & RB buddies, wouldn't that be sweet!?

kbutler1, Nov 03, 2010
4.3/5  rDev -0.2%

appearance: rich amber brown, hints of real red in there not much head but you can imagine why

smell: roasted malted barely stands out with a bit of alcohol in there some walnuts round it out

taste: what a rich walnut tanin taste, a bit over powering but I enjoy it. Almost a wintry brew

mouthfeel: haunts the roof of the mouth with a stratigicly placed biter at the end and those tannins

overall: A great dynamic brew this is one you have when you are looking to drink beer, not party not have drunken good times but really drink a brew. One thing pops into my head $2000 call girl, you spend some time enjoying that

JCBears, Aug 25, 2013
4.3/5  rDev -0.2%

I finally ended up scoring one of these. This one is tough to find, but it finally ended up in my fridge. Poured from 500ml bottle into Pilsner glass.

A - Pours a burnt caramel color with a huge light tan-colored head. The head on this one is massive, even with a very careful/light pour. There's lots of sticky lacing along the side of the glass and it doesn't seem the huge cap is going anywhere.

S - As soon as I pried the cap off, I could smell the wonderful malt aroma. Lots of burnt malts, caramel, molasses, and toffee. There's such a nice sweetness to this beer, it's wonderful to savor the aroma over and over.

T - Very similar to the nose. A wonderful malt profile, some caramel, toffee, molasses, etc. There's a very nice sweetness, but in no way is it overpowering or too much...it's just right...in fact, I would say perfect. A nice touch of sweetness on the finish mixed with some bitter dark chocolate.

M - Light to medium bodied, frothy smooth carbonation, oily/creamy finish. I would expect this to have a bit more of a body, but it doesn't detract too much.

D - I see can why this one is rated to high here on BA. I didn't expect to be so blown away by this one. It easily surpassed my expectations. I don't know when I'll get to try another, but I am already looking forward to it.

Sean9689, Jan 24, 2010
4.3/5  rDev -0.2%

This is a medium brown color, fizzy with a slight head. The smell is very sweet and heavy on the malt. Dominant smell is brown sugar. Taste is sweet and heavy, with hints of roasted marshmallows and almost no bitterness. Mouthfeel is slightly on the lighter, fizzy side for something this strong and tasty. Alcohol is hidden very well. Overall, one of the best of the style I've had.

webmanspidey, Aug 13, 2013
4.3/5  rDev -0.2%

Appearance - Clear dark red. 1 finger of head with good retention.

Smell - Strong, nutty and earthy, with an unusual touch of soy sauce.

Taste - Very nutty for a doppelbock. Huge malt presence, but well balanced. Delicious.

Mouthfeel - Very smooth.

Drinkability - Good for the style.

Overall - I have no idea how I didn't think this beer was anything particularly special the first time I tried it.

Cs1987, May 19, 2010
4.3/5  rDev -0.2%

22 oz./0,5l bottle with a small picturesque drawing of the Kloster Andechs brewery. Above the picture is some German that says "Genuß für Leib & Seele." According to my free translation (sometimes it's correct) it means "Enjoyment for body & soul." It sounds right, but I could be wrong. On the bottom is says it follows the rules of the Reinheitsgebot. All of this was on a nice gold with a bright blue trim label. The back label was almost the same color, but the gold was just a little bit darker than the front. On the top of the back label is a real life picture of people enjoying their beer in the Kloster Andechs beer hall or beer garden, or whatever you want to call it. Below that is some more German and below that was the word bock bier or beer in several different languages, like Cerveza Negra Extra in Spanish. In fact I just noticed that most of the back label was in different languages. In the different languages, they labeled the ingredients and even a best before date that was clearly marked (which was very nice of them) 22 03 07. That means I still got till March 22, 2007 to drink the other two I got from a friend that went to Germany. I'm glad that I finally got a chance to try this Doppelbock!

Appearance: When poured into my favorite Doppelbock Pilsener glass, the beer was a nice dark clear ruby mahogany color with a head of foam that was an off white color (almost tan in color) and that was 1 inch in height. It left plenty of white sticky lace and foamy white rings around the edge of my glass.

Smell: I was first going to say that the aroma was disappointing, but after the beer warmed up, the aroma got slightly better. It had a dominate aroma of sweet roasted malts and then some nuts, slightest hint of caramel and dark fruits, and all of this ended with a bitter hops finish. Don't get your hopes up, not that much of a hops aroma was there, just a little bit.

Taste: When I first popped the cap and took my first sip of this beer, I thought to myself that this can't be one of the best Doppelbocks in the world, this doesn't have much of a taste to it. All I could taste at that time was roasted malts and alcohol. It wasn't that cold, but like the smell, when it warmed up it got better. It had a taste of sweet dark roasted malts, splash of sweet caramel, bitter burnt hops (interesting) and a mild taste of alcohol at the end. There wasn't a wide variety of tastes, but what was there was really good.

Mouthfeel: It wasn't as thick as I wanted it to be, but it was medium bodied and with a very mild taste of roasted malts, hint of bitter hops, and some alcohol in the aftertaste. The only real disappointing aspect of this beer.

Drinkability: I sure as hell didn't have a problem drinking this one down, but I truly thought this beer was going to be like the label, (liquid) gold. Instead it was like what the label stated (only if my translation was correct), it was really an Enjoyment for body & soul. Better yet, if you go or a friend goes to pick this beer up in Germany, it's very affordable. My friend only paid 0.95 Euro for a 500 ml bottle of this beer. I'm glad I got to try this fine Doppelbock!

AltBock, Sep 03, 2006
4.3/5  rDev -0.2%

500ml courtesy of Don. Thanks! Tulip.

A: Plum and brown color with a quarter inch lasting head. Decent legs.

N: Clove, brown sugar, malt, soy sauce, prune. Has a deep appreciable sweetness that never ventures to cloying.

T: Complex. Brown sugar, some earthy hop bitterness. A hint of smokiness and some soy sauce, but not as a flaw. Incredibly balanced. Clove again. Cola. Breadiness like a dark rye loaf.

M: Rich and full. Very clean.

O: A rewarding beer. A veritable loaf of bread in a glass. Extremely glad t have tried this, and a beer I will revisit whenever I get the chance.

Sarlacc83, Nov 12, 2012
4.33/5  rDev +0.5%

Burnt red-rust color with a super-creamy head composed of zillions of tiny bubbles tightly bonded and looking like fresh cream. Immediate lace and the head sticks around for the duration.

Wonderful aroma gives off strong waves of caramel, milk chocolate, toffee, root beer, and just the right amount of alcohol. Also reminds of any number of caramel/chocolate candies.

Flavor is all the nose promises, especially toffee and root beer. Also some raisin and burnt sugar. Sweet at its center, but with a delicate dessert-like spice that I can't pinpoint. Maybe a mixture of anise and cinnamon. Together with a forward but not cloying alcohol presence, this is a bold, unsubtle doppelbock that drinks like a replacement for candy-and-liqueur after-dinner treats.

Medium-bodied at best, the texture here is slick and slippery, with just a little bit of carbonation propping up the exciting flavors.

Had NO IDEA this beer was so highly-rated on BA. Had I known, I might have picked up more bottles on my recent German adventure, but judging from the # of reviews here, maybe it's available in the states? Nevertheless, now that I know it, I will definitely be on the lookout for more. Yummy, and that's putting it lightly.

Metalmonk, Jul 29, 2009