2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Andechser Doppelbock Dunkel - Klosterbrauerei Andechs

Andechser Doppelbock DunkelAndechser Doppelbock Dunkel

Klosterbrauerei Andechs visit their website
Germany

Doppelbock |  7.10% ABV

This world famous bock from Bavaria’s Holy Mountain is not meant to be rushed, but savoured slowly. As solid as a rock, Andechser Doppelbock Dunkel presides over the evening meal with a colour reminiscent of dark copper with nuances of fiery red. Its clear gleaming look harmonises with its firm, fine pored head.

Also the aroma delights the connoisseur: soft roasted accents and a nuance of dried fruit carrying a vein of caramel. This Doppelbock Dunkel from Bavaria’s Holy Mountain presents a pleasant effervescence. And then there’s the unmistakable flavour: mouthcoating and velvety, strong and yet pleasantly malty – a powerful, robust body. At the same time, it develops an easily recognisable sweetness, embraced in roasted cocoa and a light, bitter hoppiness.

Concluding with a powerful punch, this Doppelbock departs with a lingering aftertaste of quality plain chocolate. A strong Doppelbock that embodies the centuries old Benedictine brewing tradition, sip by delicious sip.

(Beer added by: Bierman9 on 06-16-2002)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 585 | Reviews: 340 | Show All Ratings:
Rastacouere

Quebec (Canada)

4.7/5  rDev +8.5%

Generous off-white head forms atop the dark brown body. Head is foamy, frothy, sticky, moderately lasting. Light ruby hints make the color seem complex. A truck of malt in the aroma. Various flavours of smoked fruits, red berries, blue berries, cherries, light smoke, light roast. Terrific integration of the aromatic components. Another sniff gave me mineralic or salty notes. Another hinted me toward bread. Yet another proposed candy sweetness almost approaching honey. If the aroma contained a truck of malt, it’s 2 trucks you have when sipping. Its intensity is pushed further although always staying in the subtlety grace as opposed to a celebrator. Incredible precision, every angle is well cut. Bolder than the aroma in its leathery expression. Quite dry overall. Nut skin, roasty and earthy light hops finish. Could last a little longer perhaps. It really tastes like fresh and clean water was used. Incredible malt depth they have there. Gets even better as it warms, close to a 10 as far as taste is concerned, I guess just a bit more length would nail it. Polite medium to full body, high carbonation is at the limit of being too much. Stellar doppelbock that grows on you sips after sips. New developments and happenings every time. 2 thumbs up to Stephen and his neighbor for this unique chance!

09-27-2004 15:23:45 | More by Rastacouere
Naerhu

Japan

4.55/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Beautiful clear garnet red with thin offwhite head.
Rich malty caramel nose
Rich malty caramel, slightly buttery on the finish.
Refined smooth carbonation, mouthfeel infinitely lighter than celebrator dopplebock. Alcohol is nowhere to be found.
Great fun to drink. Supper easy to knock back a couple of these, just as you would a nice pilsner.

This has replaced Deadguy Ale as my house beer, I can hardly believe it. This is a great after dinner beer. This should be required drinking in EVERY beer appreciation seminar.

08-12-2004 13:27:43 | More by Naerhu
rotsaruch

4.78/5  rDev +10.4%

Oh boy, the monks on the mountain have created one of the world's best brew. Guys and girls, this is what a malty, craft brew is all about.

The appearance is a clear, deep burgandy in color. The head was slighly beige in color which slowly dissispated into a thin lace. This brew is about malt, but in a very subtle, not obvious way. The maltiness fragrance was very noticeable on the nose. The body is full and distinctive. The taste can only be characterised as very a smooth, silky mouthfeel. The maltiness flavor dominates up front with some apparent caramel and toffee tones. The hops are present, but solely in a supporting role providing a very delightful dry finish. It has to be one of the finest doppelbock brewed on the planet Earth. I really look forward to having this brew on draft. A truly exquiste brew!!

05-18-2004 01:39:01 | More by rotsaruch
feloniousmonk

4.65/5  rDev +7.4%

A bottle procured for me by Dave, a loyal customer at my restaurant/bar, who has recently been bringing German gems back from business trips for me. All hail Dave!
Appearance: partially clear, dark ruby hue, an enigmatic appearance, really, clear here, dark there, obtuse in places, with a lovely, lush layer of pale, tanned foam standing guard on top.
Aroma: caramel & spice, soft & creamy, lightly toasted, with subtle fruit.
Taste: luscious fruit proclaims itself at the onset, a beautiful blend of grape, cherry, berry, & more, supported by a warm, generous malt bill.
More flavors interject as we continue, raisins, figs, chocolate climbs aboard, too, for a spell, contributing a subtle, sensuous cocoa feel all over the palate.
Sublime, really.
This mere 7.1% ABV doppelbock only peeps up the tiniest bit in alcohol feel, so smooth it is, so rich with flavor, not harsh, nor brash, mellow, cool, yet bold with flavor, getting winey-er and winey-er in taste as we go.
Got to hand it to the monks at Andesch, for they are gentle, benevolent geniuses, and those who know their work are doubly blessed!

05-11-2004 09:13:54 | More by feloniousmonk
tjd25

France

4.5/5  rDev +3.9%

A brownish dense head disappears into a very thin color. The color is impressive: a beautiful brown-red, almost purple, opaque. The smell is of dark malts, non sweet caramel, and a warming winy grapes aspect. The taste is very enjoyable and complex. Raisins with a sweet and refreshing citric aspect (almost like the soda aspect of Belgian stouts); then dark malts, with a thick almost chewy impression of chocolate; the chocolate announces the veil of hoppiness that covers the mouth without overwhelming it. Finally, a warm alcohol feeling. Very well balanced. My favorite Doppelbock .

05-01-2004 07:43:33 | More by tjd25
BeerBard

4.85/5  rDev +12%

Memories of Andechs...the bottle's bringing them back...
My favorite beerotic moment in life was my first trip to the Andechs Monastery and "gezaufen" (it's a phonetic spelling for "drinking like a beast"...) a variety of beers. I met some wonderful locals (Uwe and Hans)...though I walked the 7 or 8 kilometers up there from the subway station earlier in the day, we later took a cab from the monastery to the subway stop together. I went there a second time about 3 years later with my friend who lives in Bavaria. It was as equally memorable.
Anyone who has the opportunity to go there should go...don't think twice about it. I'm very, very, very serious!
Well, the bottled version I'm drinking has been in my closet about 5 months. It was brought over in my friend's luggage from Bavaria to Austin, as it's not imported to the States, as far as I know. If anyone knows differently, please let me know. Bottled ain't is good as draft...PERIOD!
I'm drinking it side-by-side with an Aventinus Wheat-Dopplebock. I thought they'd be similar. They are, but then again they're not....the Andechs has no "wheat" taste. [As a side-note, the Andechs Wheat Beer is the most wonderful example of the style that I know...the natural bannana flavors are exquisite....but, as you'll see below, you'll have to go there to get the complete indoctrination...the full "flavor"].
The head doesn't last...which is a shame (because I want to rank it higher...I acknowledge my bias). It went flat within a minute (the Aventinus head has lasted 45 minutes now). However, I believe it lasted much longer at the monastery.
The smell is excellent...just take my word on it.
The taste....exceptional...MALTY sweet raison rum currant bannana alcohol and a "hint of hop"...what more can you want?!?!?!
Mouthfeel...as good as it gets for a dopplebock. If you like the style you can't dispute the SUPERIORITY of this beer. It's tremendous!
Drinkability....if I could have this beer every night, I would. I would go to sleep happy with all my troubles erased...all my sins absolved.
If all the world had this beer nightly perhaps we'd all be at PEACE!
I'm in love with Andechs...
Like any true heartsick man in love, I will visit my sweet Andechs again...hopefully within the next year ( a friend is getting married in the Netherlands in March 2004...Bavaria is close enough...only a few hundred miles away...I look forward to a trip after the wedding to Brussels for the Belgians and then Bavaria for the Best of the Rest....my mouth is watering already...keep posted...is anybody really reading this??? CHEERS!).!&$@&@#$

04-19-2004 05:14:15 | More by BeerBard
kunzbrew

4.63/5  rDev +6.9%

Pick this bad boy up in Germany along with 80 others when I was over there in October of 03.

The brew pours a a stellar copper color with a monster cream colored head that last for a while reducing to a 1/2 inch head leaving a silk sexy smooth lace in its tracks. The hop and raosted malt aroma is so huge it is just bursting out of the glass and into my nose. The caramel aroma is also strong. The first sip reveals a slighty smoky flavor along with a toasted caramel malt flavor that is to die for. This has to be the best dopplebock that I have ever had. The easy drinking beer kicks your ass with the 7% alcohol.

This is truly a great beer from a great country.

Prost

01-21-2004 23:52:09 | More by kunzbrew
CRJMellor

Arkansas

4.38/5  rDev +1.2%

Pours a beautiful crisp, clear brown with red and gold highlights. Pours produces a decent head that has staying power and kicks off tremendous sheets of lace. Aroma, dark malt, toffee, wheat and spice. I swore I got a whiff of hazelnuts also.
Taste is truly to behold. Very wet malt and toffee front backed with a spicy yeast finish with a hint of alcohol power. To me this prototypical German taste and if I close my eyes I can feel myself singing county road and the Star-Spangled banner in the Hofbrau House in Munich.
Truly beautiful beer and need to find a way to import to the US (besides carry-on luggage.)

Thanks to TRBeer for this beauty.

01-11-2004 03:42:45 | More by CRJMellor
putnam

4.97/5  rDev +14.8%

Beautiful beer.
Like Salvator plus spice, cream and those mysterious, ancient yeast-generated earthy nuances that allow you to close your eyes and travel far.
Fluffy (like the Allagash tripel the same night) with characteristic 2xbock flavors and aromas of vanilla, whole cream, Asian spices, roasted hazelnuts, walnuts and bitter, broiled sugar. Serene, velvety, refined texture and peeling layers of complexity.
Wow!

Thanks to Tim

11-02-2003 19:12:45 | More by putnam
marburg

4.53/5  rDev +4.6%

trbeer was nice enough to bring a bottle of this back from Germany and then let the Detroit BA gathering sample some.

Thick brown color with rich burgandy highlights. A little more translucent than I was expecting -- not quite the intense depth of color I sometimes see in doppelbocks.

Sweet bread and chocolate ice cream hit the nose. Some syrupy caramel and molasses float beneath. Medium-full bodied. Very nicely textured -- meaty but smooth. Very, very, very sweet, malty flavor with some toffee notes. A little bitterness on the finish cleans up and balances. Eminantly drinkable. Great beer.

11-02-2003 17:41:26 | More by marburg
woemad

4.65/5  rDev +7.4%

Had this 4 years ago in Luebeck, bought a couple of bottles in a grocery store on a whim and was very happy I did.
As I can remember, it had a delicious, fruity taste - at the time, it reminded me of apples & pears, with a robust alcohol presence that makes itself felt by the second bottle.
I wish I could remember more about it.. But I wish I could have another one even more!

06-11-2003 12:07:34 | More by woemad
jcalabre

4.28/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Originally sampled on 1 April 2003. This beer is a work of art. Nice dark brown color, w/ a tan head and a malty nose, I'll have one anytime. Typically, I'm not big on lagers, but this Doppelbock is great. Wonderful maltiness, this is simply a world class beer that any beer geek/snob needs to try.

05-27-2003 16:56:15 | More by jcalabre
TheDM

Indiana

What else can I say but simply, the best beer I have ever had! Small fine bubbles, heavy flavor, full bodied, no foul after taste or bitterness. Extremely smooth.

Im Himmel gibt es kein bier!
Darum trinken vir Andechs heir!

Translation:
In Heaven there is no beer!
That is why we drink Andechs here!

03-16-2003 07:17:54 | More by TheDM
Bighuge

4.83/5  rDev +11.5%

Clear deep burgandy color. Some slight orange highlights. A slight beige head sits on top. Thick maltiness on the nose. Some molasses tones seep in. Great smell. Body is almost full. Silky smooth in the mouth. Chewy maltiness dominates, and it should. Caramel and toffee notes are big. Hops are there solely for balance. Molasses also makes an appearance on the buds. Beautiful. An elite Dopple. This is so damn easy to drink.

Give me a nicely stoked fireplace, some Van Morrison in the background and 10 of these badboys and I'm smiling.

A Bighuge thanks to Shit and Mrs. Shit for securing this dandy for me.

11-02-2002 21:49:36 | More by Bighuge
Bierman9

New Hampshire

4.9/5  rDev +13.2%

A couple of days ago (20AUG06) I opted to quaff the 2 remaining bottles of this I had in my fridge. I bought them in Rothenburg on 29SEP05, costing 0.85EU per 0.5l bottle, or just about $1.15 each. Best before date on them was 11APR06. I poured both into a 1.0l Spaten glass mug... was drinking outdoors, and the garnet/ruby/chestnut hue was beauteous! A creamy, fine and tight tan head topped the bier off, and it lasted throughout the session, with some decent lacing as well. Nose was rich, malty and toasty... lovely! The feel on the palate/tongue was exemplary! Smooth and velvety, and almost chewy in body... I loved it! And though it was a few months past its supposed prime, it tasted fan-friggin-tastic!! It was a malt monster! Lovely caramel sweetness with no hint of being cloying. It coats the mouth with such rich flavor! The hops have long mellowed and taken a powder, leaving mounds of malt to massage the tastebuds. Damn, it tasted great!

overall: 4.9
appearance: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | mouthfeel: 5 | drinkability: 5

*** ***

Review added 27FEB02 - Vom Faß (enjoyed last October - 2001):
Oh baby, is this one good! Wish I were back in the sunshine at the Biergarten at Kloster-Andechs! Gorgeous brown/ruby/garnet color; big, frothy head which thins down but sticks around. Produces excellent glass-lacing! Malt nose is super....great aroma, with some toffee notes! It's body is between medium and full, and has medium/smooth vollmundikeit. Flows over the tongue oh-so-easily! Flavor whacks you with a rich, roasty, malty sweet flavor, and a big alcohol-warmth. Has a very slight bitterness right at the end. Mmmmm!! Hope to get back there again!! Zum Wohl!!

(5.0/4.5/4.5/5.0/5.0 - 4.70)

10-11-2002 09:02:42 | More by Bierman9
rastaman

United Kingdom (England)

4.38/5  rDev +1.2%

Pretty darn good stuff. Nice little roasty caramel sort of flavour, slightly sticky, but pleasantly so, slightly sweet aswell, but well balanced, lots of flavour, decent bitter flavour.

07-13-2002 13:59:32 | More by rastaman
sponberg

(1/04 update: Shared two bottles of this with friends over the holidays after they hand-carried them back from Germany. I'd give it solid 6s across the board if it were allowed. It has no equal.)

Finally the bottle and glass were empty, and I cried...

Dark amber/auburn color with a white head that starts firm and gradually goes down to a thin persistent lace. The aroma is a complex maltiness that's one of the seven greatest smells on earth.

One sip fills your mouth with every non-roasted malt flavor there is - raisin, blackcurrant, caramel, toast, chocolate, toffee... I could go on all day. The malt fruitiness & multifaceted lager sweetness (triple decoction? Quadruple?) is just balanced by a background bitterness. The alcohol is present, subtly, and in perfect balance with all of the other flavors. The finish is extraordinarily round, with a bit of licorice waaay in the background. Leaves every single tastebud in the mouth happy.

This beer is proof that the monks are indeed closer to a God than we are.

Note: Heavyweight used this yeast strain in Perkuno's Hammer Imperial Porter.

07-10-2002 05:48:35 | More by sponberg
jjboesen

Maryland

4.85/5  rDev +12%

Probably - no, definitely - one of the best beers on earth. It is worth the trip to Munich (and S-5 train) to get here. What makes this exceptional is its' unavailabilty in the states. In fact, this beer is so good, they only serve it on weekdays to keep down the throngs of thirsty Munichers.

06-16-2002 12:52:55 | More by jjboesen
flagmantho

4.01/5  rDev -7.4%

I had this beer on-tap in a giant stange at Special Brews in Lynnwood, WA.

Appearance: rich, nut-brown hue with minimal haze and a thick head of creamy ivory foam. Looks outstanding.

Smell: sweet, caramelly and extremely malty aroma. Smells like Whoppers candy.

Taste: sweet with big malt flavor. Not a lot of complexity, mostly just a very clean, very sweet malt character. Very solid.

Mouthfeel: medium-light body with a decent carbonation and a good creaminess.

Overall: sweet but nicely quaffable; this is an archetypal doppelbock.

04-15-2014 19:10:25 | More by flagmantho
kilo_005

4.59/5  rDev +6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

On draft- 30 cL weizen glass

A: hazy brown, minimal lacing. Small head. Beautiful color though in the right light.
S: nothing too strong here. Some boozy aromas. Light malt smell
T: fantastic. Boozy notes up front with standard raisin taste of beers in this style but then finished with incredibly complex flavors. Like a cocoa. Wonderful lingering aftertaste. Lasts for a very long time.
M: amazing. The alcohol up front just tingles the palate but then you get the perfect carbonation and aforementioned lingering taste.
O: An amazing example of how good dark German beers can be. If you live boozy dark Belgians try something like this and you'll be amazed

03-09-2014 22:24:15 | More by kilo_005
kevanb

4.58/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

1 Liter Stein poured at Suppenküche in San Francisco, review taken from notes.

The beer pours a deep caramel brown color, borderline dark amber with some burgundy tones. A soft, frothy khaki head rises nicely from the beer with great retention and lots of lace. The aroma is is of wonderful smooth chocolate, brown sugar, rich grain, slightly roasted coffee, a touch of bitterness, plays well with the chocolate and doesn't detract at all from the aroma. The flavors are fantastic, such smooth qualities,lots of bittersweet chocolate, lightly roasted coffee, brown sugar, strong malts, stone fruit and almost a bit of vanilla. It's complex, deep, but more importantly, incredibly balanced and perfectly integrated. The body is great, very rich, full, silky, just enough lively carbonation that finishes good gusto but could pack a better punch.

Verdict: Magnificent beer and definitely the standout for the style, sorry Celebrator. I'd been longing to try this for quite some time and to find it on draft was a real joy. I had no trouble downing a liter of this over dinner and I can't wait to find a few bottles.

02-11-2014 06:16:57 | More by kevanb
brijar

4.43/5  rDev +2.3%

Ancechs Dopplebach Dunkel it by far the best Dopplebock I've ever taster. Brewed in a monastery in Bavaria Germany and sold throughout the region, It's a wonderful bold full bodied beer with a molasses finish. If you ever get the chance to drink one, I highly recommend it. There are not some distributors in the US that are selling this, but I've yet to find it.

02-08-2014 23:39:27 | More by brijar
corby112

3.95/5  rDev -8.8%

Pours a dark chestnut brown color with mahogany edges and a two finger, frothy beige head that very slowly settles into a lasting ring.  Impressive retention with sporadic streaks of lace left behind.

Toasted, slightly smokey aroma with a nice balance of sweet and roasted malt notes.  Lots of toffee and caramel along with some bready yeast and subtle zesty spice.  I'' surprised about the roasted/smokey element by it adds another dimension to the swee malt profile.

On the fuller end of medium body with a smokey roasted malt presence that gives off a decent amount of lingering bitterness.  Hints of toast, smoke and subtle BBQ/smoked meat followed by caramel and toffee sweetness.  This is balanced by a strong bready yeast presence as well as some hazelnut and a touch of rye spice.  Sweetness nicely counters the roast/toasted malts.  Finishes dry and slightly tart.  Well balanced and refreshing.  ABV is barely noticeable making this complex beer very easy to drink.

11-24-2013 01:49:05 | More by corby112
tigg924

4.1/5  rDev -5.3%

Had on tap at New World Tavern

Appearance: 1/4 inch head, moderate carbonation, tan-brown in color, clear

Smell: toasted malt, caramel, and smoke

Taste: burnt caramel, smoke, and toasted malt

Mouthfeel: medium-heavy body, sweet and smoky, medium carbonation, smooth

Overall: A really nice and smoky classic dopplebock. The smokiness allows this to be sweet but never cloying. Amazing on tap. I would certainly pick this one up again.

10-17-2013 19:48:13 | More by tigg924
Jacobob10

4.4/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

On-tap @ Zum Schneider in New York, NY.

Served in a 1-Liter mug. Brown in color with ruby hightlights and a large, beige head. Really pleasant aroma, heavy on roasted malts, raisin, and fig. I found myself going back over and over again to smell it. Medium bodied, not overly sweet as some dopplebocks can be. A touch of alcohol in the finish. Overall, a very enjoyable beer and maybe the best in its style I have had to date. One I would order again in a heartbeat.

10-08-2013 14:24:31 | More by Jacobob10