Andechser Doppelbock Dunkel - Klosterbrauerei Andechs

Andechser Doppelbock DunkelAndechser Doppelbock Dunkel

Klosterbrauerei Andechs visit their website
Germany

Doppelbock |  7.10% ABV

This world famous bock from Bavaria’s Holy Mountain is not meant to be rushed, but savoured slowly. As solid as a rock, Andechser Doppelbock Dunkel presides over the evening meal with a colour reminiscent of dark copper with nuances of fiery red. Its clear gleaming look harmonises with its firm, fine pored head.

Also the aroma delights the connoisseur: soft roasted accents and a nuance of dried fruit carrying a vein of caramel. This Doppelbock Dunkel from Bavaria’s Holy Mountain presents a pleasant effervescence. And then there’s the unmistakable flavour: mouthcoating and velvety, strong and yet pleasantly malty – a powerful, robust body. At the same time, it develops an easily recognisable sweetness, embraced in roasted cocoa and a light, bitter hoppiness.

Concluding with a powerful punch, this Doppelbock departs with a lingering aftertaste of quality plain chocolate. A strong Doppelbock that embodies the centuries old Benedictine brewing tradition, sip by delicious sip.

(Beer added by: Bierman9 on 06-16-2002)

FeDUBBELFIST, Oct 17, 2014
4.25/5  rDev -1.2%

Thick, creamy, tan colored head sits silently on top of the hazy mahogany colored beer. Smells of chocolate and sweet malt with undertones dark bread. Sweet roasted and caramel malts mix with a fist full of raisins. Finishes with a mild dark malt astringency that never quite overpowers the firm sweetness of the brew. Good lord the aftertaste lingers. There is almost more flavor left on my tongue then I could detect in the liquid I drank. No complaints, just unique. The alcohol is barely noticeable, especially if the beer is not too cold. A solid beer with a full mouthfeel and some nice flavors.

HappyHourHero, Aug 31, 2007

Sweffin, May 07, 2014
4.5/5  rDev +4.7%

150 reviews as of this writing. Thanks to redhaze for the chance to try this gem. I've had a number of US interpretations of this style and enjoyed them. This.... This beer set's the standard for me and is one I'd be happy to enjoy again except for the whole getting access to it. If you like your dopplebock malty, crisp and oh so easy to quaff try this one. If you get the chance definitely go for it!

barleywinebrewer, Oct 12, 2008

NooseJustice, Oct 05, 2014
4.85/5  rDev +12.8%

Dated best before 26 04 06. Pours out a dark brown with reddish highlights and a tall tan creamy head. The head returns quickly to the body leaving speckles of lace. Sweet caramel and dark fruit come on strong with a nice mild dark chocolate in the background. Good amount of roastiness and smoke with light bready malts. First taste is some caramel with a backing of roastiness. Lighter notes of fruit sweetness and bittersweet chocolate mix in well. Very light alcohol is noticeable with a mild earthiness at the finish. Really rich and full flavored brew that I could drink all day. Body is hefty enough to carry deliver the big flavor and goes down smoothly and easily. If only this was available in the states.

meathookjones, Dec 07, 2005

victory4me, Apr 06, 2014

Many thanks go out to Bierman9 for blessing me with such a wonderful treat.

Bottle poured into a large Pilsener Glass brought forth a large of white head that lasted a while .The body of this brew was crystal clear and dark brown with some ruby highlights in color. This thing is pretty it looks better than a touched up print add.

This is a nice light aroma, not what I expected from a dark brew. Very subtle bread and sweetness with an almost undetectable roasted malts note in the end.

This is what a doppelbock should be, yes I have found the standard bearer. This is sweet and malty but at the same time earthy so as to keep the sweetness in check. I can't find any alcohol present in the flavors. Smooth, creamy and rich comes to mind when trying to describe what I feel in my mouth

I am already sad seeing this on drain from my glass, if I make it to Germany this will be my beer of choice
I just have to end this review with,
Prosit!

joepais, Oct 25, 2008
4.55/5  rDev +5.8%

My special thanks go out to William (WJVII) and Marla Vogel. On there vacation to Europe in May of 2008 they purchased this brew for me. They carted it half way around the world from Germany to Stevens Point, Wisconsin. All for me to have this special moment. Again, thank you.

A - A very tall, dark tan, foamy, and quickly rising head. The body is a dark brown with amber and purple tints as the light passed through.

S - The scents of chocolate, smoked meats, malt and cherry all wrapped up in one. The only hindrance is the weakness.

T - The flavors begin mild and move toward bold as the taste progresses. There are strong malt flavors that consist of caramel, subtle spices and pungent fruits. While the alcohol taste is present it by no means controls the brew.

M - The feel is actually a bit coarse considering how smooth the flavors flow. There is an after-feeling in the back of my throat that's obvious. The texture is strange in that it touches the front of my tongue very softly but after the brew is down there is a coarseness left behind. I actually think it assists in prolonging the flavor. Upon my first sip I was not please but as I've moved on I am actually really enjoying this unique characteristic.

~ I must admit this is one of the finest, if not THE finest, doppelbock I've ever had. I will look again for this brew and hope to someday enjoy one on German soil with my good friends, Bill and Marla. Did I say thank you?

cdkrenz, Oct 24, 2008

JMS1512, Feb 19, 2014

leitmotif, Mar 22, 2014

jkane101, Feb 15, 2014

JakerLou, Mar 06, 2014
4.75/5  rDev +10.5%

Pours a deep ruby-red/mahogany color. Nice light tan, creamy head, pretty good retention. Nose is somewhat fruity and tart, with a little bit of roast.

Flavor is fantastic. I've had this beer several times now, including on tap, and it's absolutely delicious out of the bottle as well. This doppelbock has an amazing chocolately flavor, with a great roasty aftertaste. There's a lot of meat on the bone here. Dark fruit, roast, coffee, chocolate, and maple syrup sum this one up for me. And unlike the Celebrator, it's not too sweet. Medium-heavy, chewy mouthfeel coats the tongue in luscious, buttery layers. Low carbonation, which I love. Alcohol is not really apparent, although it's seven percent.

A malt bomb of the highest order, Andechser Doppelbock is in a league of it's own. Prost!

dasenebler, Dec 08, 2008

ArchEnemyBrew, Nov 04, 2013
3.75/5  rDev -12.8%

Mikeypnh, Jun 11, 2014
4.03/5  rDev -6.3%

500 ml bottle, bought in Germany. ABV is 7.1%, not 7.0% like the brewery website says. Deep chestnut colour, large and creamy light tan head. Very nice roasty aroma with notes of rye bread, caramel, hints of liquorice and chocolate. Fairly dry roasty flavour (roast malts), notes of coffee, toast and rye bread. Dry and hoppy bitter finish. An excellent doppelbock, not as smooth and sweet as some others of this style."

Sigmund, Aug 25, 2005

Maillard, Oct 04, 2013
4.5/5  rDev +4.7%

What we have here is an outstanding beer...and even better if you fortunate enough to have it at Kloster Andechs. Truly a great experience. It's about 40-45 min. outside of Munich on the S-Bahn (toward Herrsching) but well worth the trip. We had a perfectly clear day to visit this gorgeous hilltop setting with visibility for miles it seemed. As majestic as the scenery was the beer, brewed here for more than 500 years. Superb doppelbock, big with malty goodness, the real deal. The monks sacrificed little while fasting on this liquid bread.

John, Jun 17, 2002
3.75/5  rDev -12.8%

innominat, Jun 13, 2014
4.53/5  rDev +5.3%

trbeer was nice enough to bring a bottle of this back from Germany and then let the Detroit BA gathering sample some.

Thick brown color with rich burgandy highlights. A little more translucent than I was expecting -- not quite the intense depth of color I sometimes see in doppelbocks.

Sweet bread and chocolate ice cream hit the nose. Some syrupy caramel and molasses float beneath. Medium-full bodied. Very nicely textured -- meaty but smooth. Very, very, very sweet, malty flavor with some toffee notes. A little bitterness on the finish cleans up and balances. Eminantly drinkable. Great beer.

marburg, Nov 02, 2003

Tschnab, Oct 27, 2013

jakea, Aug 20, 2013
4.43/5  rDev +3%

Had this in smaller doses a couple times now so I thought I'd throw up a minimal review since I like it so much.

Pours a light brown with a slight bit of head. The aroma is light and is mostly nuttiness and some musty malt. The flavor is very nutty with a caramel maltiness. It is fairly light and lacking rich complexity, but it is a damn near a perfect session style ale (well, the ABV is a bit too high for that perhaps). If this was imported it would possibly be my "go to" beer for everyday drinking situations. Just so well balanced and zero off-flavors.

alcstradamus, Oct 25, 2010
4.15/5  rDev -3.5%

I found this at the Delirium Café and I’m glad I had it when I was there because it was impossible to find in either Koln or Dusseldorf when I was there, despite its availability being listed on the Andechs website.

This has a dark brown/reddish body with only a little head. There is a huge malty aroma with caramel notes that pours from the glass. The taste matches the aroma with big sweet malty flavors with caramel and some accompanying bitterness that builds at the end. As it warms up, the caramel presence increases until it is nearly the primary flavor. This is only medium bodied with good drinkability. It is a good beer but I did expect slightly better because of the reputation.

drseamus, Jul 30, 2007