Andechser Doppelbock Dunkel - Klosterbrauerei Andechs

Klosterbrauerei Andechs visit their website
Germany

Doppelbock |  7.10% ABV

Beer added by: Bierman9 on 06-16-2002

This world famous bock from Bavaria’s Holy Mountain is not meant to be rushed, but savoured slowly. As solid as a rock, Andechser Doppelbock Dunkel presides over the evening meal with a colour reminiscent of dark copper with nuances of fiery red. Its clear gleaming look harmonises with its firm, fine pored head.

Also the aroma delights the connoisseur: soft roasted accents and a nuance of dried fruit carrying a vein of caramel. This Doppelbock Dunkel from Bavaria’s Holy Mountain presents a pleasant effervescence. And then there’s the unmistakable flavour: mouthcoating and velvety, strong and yet pleasantly malty – a powerful, robust body. At the same time, it develops an easily recognisable sweetness, embraced in roasted cocoa and a light, bitter hoppiness.

Concluding with a powerful punch, this Doppelbock departs with a lingering aftertaste of quality plain chocolate. A strong Doppelbock that embodies the centuries old Benedictine brewing tradition, sip by delicious sip.
Ratings: 862 | Reviews: 401
4.28/5  rDev -0.5%

Bottle. Courtesy of drabmuh on BA. Pours a dark copper brown red color with a big 2 1/2 finger head that settles down rather quickly to a nice offwhite coaster head. Malty aroma for sure with notes of raisins, plums, nuts, caramel, and slight spice like cinnamon. Minimal lace left on the glass. Nice medium mouthfeel with good carbonation. The taste is a real nice balance. Slightly sweet with fruit like characteristics and a nice bready, biscuity backbone that balances it all out. Ends pretty cleanly without any apparent bitterness. The alcohol is very existant in the flavors. I imagine drinking this from a huge stein in Germany with all my BA & RB buddies, wouldn't that be sweet!?

4.32/5  rDev +0.5%

Thanks to kbutler1 for this top 100 tick.

Poured into tulip.

Pour 1 finger of khakie head that settles to a small layer. Color is a Mahogony brown.

Aroma: Lots of toffee and caramel malts with some toasted notes. Has some dark dried fruits. Plums, raisins, and dates. This nose on this beer is spot on.

Taste: Fairly close to the nose. Very malty. Toffee, caramel, and toasted notes. A bit biscuity. Has a touch of spice notes. More dark dried fruits (same as nose). Has a bit of cereal grain flavor to it. I like it.

Mouthfeel: Creamy and smooth. Medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. Ends a bit dry and malty.

Overall, a very nice lager. One of the top imo. The toastedness really ties this beer together. I am a fan of this one. Pretty drinkable.

4.4/5  rDev +2.3%

Had this in smaller doses a couple times now so I thought I'd throw up a minimal review since I like it so much.

Pours a light brown with a slight bit of head. The aroma is light and is mostly nuttiness and some musty malt. The flavor is very nutty with a caramel maltiness. It is fairly light and lacking rich complexity, but it is a damn near a perfect session style ale (well, the ABV is a bit too high for that perhaps). If this was imported it would possibly be my "go to" beer for everyday drinking situations. Just so well balanced and zero off-flavors.

4.53/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I LOVE German lagers (even if a real German wouldn't consider this a lager, I still love them). And this beer has been on my WANTS list pretty much since I've had a WANTS list. I was fortunate enough to get several this year after several friends ventured to Germany this summer, Oktoberfest related activities. I ended up with much more than I ever hoped, I may revise my reviews as I drink more of the bottles.

Expired 12.23.10. Well before expiration.

Beer poured into a celebrator doppelbock glass. Beer looks perfect for a doppelbock. Its brown and light, completely clear with moderate carbonation of medium bubbles that rise quickly through the beer accelerating into the head of thin off white bubbles that eventually breaks and pulls toward the glass. Beer leaves some lacing on the glass as well.

Aroma is appropriately leveled, not too strong but not weak at all. Its caramel and malty, sweet and dark at the same time. Smells really good.

Beer leads off with some sweetness, gives way to a medium bodied beer with some toffee notes in the midpalate. The whole thing is well connected and finishes cleanly with no aftertaste. Its a simple beer, simpler than expected, lighter than expected but it makes no mistakes. Its sweet but not cloying, its balanced with no bitterness and a moderately dry finish. I thoroughly enjoyed it and would definitely drink it again. I'm glad I have several more.

4.05/5  rDev -5.8%

Had this on tap while in Germany at the Wiesbaden Rathaus.

A nice dark dopple bock with lots of malt and chocolate and coffee.

The taste was much the same and the mouthfeel was very smooth and creamy. Not as complex as I hoped but still quite drinkable.

I wish I could have tried all the Andechser beers at this place but unfortunately could only get through three. Next time...

3.7/5  rDev -14%

Beer has a great mahogany colour, is smooth without too much carbonation but I just drank a cheap french lager. Can smell smoked dark chocolate, it also tastes like smoked beer. There are hints of coffee and dark chocolate. It has a slightly bitter aftertaste. Too heavy to session but still very good. This is a beer I can recomend to fans of doppelbock but I won't be drinking it every weekend

4.35/5  rDev +1.2%

Bottle shared by Joe - thanks!

Pours a clear chestnut brown color with a one-finger tan head. The head recedes into a thin layer on top leaving decent lacing.

Smells of deep caramel malts with good amounts of smooth chocolate and hints of roastiness. Also present are slight amounts of breadiness.

Tastes similar to how it smells, though more robust. Smooth and almost syrupy caramel malt flavors kick things off and are joined quickly by hints of cocoa powder. Midway through the sip the malt flavors dark with slight amounts of roasted flavors. The roasted flavors fade out quickly and the malt flavors sweeten through to a sweet ending.

Mouthfeel is very good. It's got a very smooth thickness with moderate carbonation.

Drinkability is also very good. I finished my glass quickly and could have another.

Overall I didn't find this beer as mind-blowing as I'd hoped, and in fact I'd rate Celebrator higher, it's still a very good beer. To be fair it was noted by Joe that it was substantially better on tap. Worth a shot.

3.35/5  rDev -22.1%

Andechs Klosterbier Doppelbock dunkel, draft

A Dark clear, not much head, didn't last at all. 3.5

S Caramel sweet, no diacetyl, no hops. Appropriate for the style, but would have liked more toasty aromas. 3.5

T Sweet dark malt taste. A little too cloying, but probably OK for style. Easy to drink, not offensive, no harsh dark malt flavors, good for those that aren't dark malt fans. 3.5

M Thin, carbonation is low. Non inspirational. 3

D Good, but for me, not really worth having another. 3

3.61/5  rDev -16%

Don't think I've ever been so mesmorised by a beer while pouring it. With its rich deep brown colour and deep rich tan head, it certainly is one the most gorgeous beers I've ever seen. As a result I nearly spilt four or five mouthfuls just by gawking at the damn thing.
On the nose there was almost a burnt bready woody medicinal smell. On the tongue it is pretty dry, vinous with a flavour reminiscent of treacle and molasses. Tasty but it does not have the richness of classic Aventinus and I can't help but feel as if it was almost closed like a young tannic wine. Makes it slightly on the stern side as well. Very good but despite its initial promise in the end it flatters to deceive.

Date: 09/29/2010
Type: 500ml. Bottle
Vintage: Best by 11.09.08 (Some age on her)
Glassware: DFH Tulip

Have never had the opportunity to sample this brew so I have no idea what it tastes like fresh, and I was skeptical of a 7% doppelbock holding up well. Boy was my skepticism wrong!

Poured a light brown mahoghany in color w/ a 1 finger creamy tan head, that left nice lacing all over the glass. The nose was of light toffee, caramel, dark fruits, and a touch of bread dough. The taste made the nose seem pretty muted. Deep, rich dark fruits in your face w/ an interesting spiciness in the middle(reminds me almost of a scotch ale), and a finish of breadiness. This brew is really all about the malts. The mouthfeel was medium bodied and lush. I could drink this all night w/ ease! The Germans pride themselves on making great session beers and this higher ABV version is no exception.

Overall, tremendous brew from Andescher! I thought this brew would be hyped simply because it is non-imported, but it is a delightful brew to sip. Basically non-imported + tremendous brew = ISO. Glad I have another bottle.

4.42/5  rDev +2.8%

appearance: dark carmamel brown with some amber highlights, pretty, but no head or lacing, look flat after a few minutes.

smell: wow, lots of sweet bread, caramel, toffee aromas.

taste: definitly a different flavor profile compared to celebrator. lots of dark fruits, very fruity, caramel, maybe some maple, and more sweet. Lots of belgian brown ale flavors.

mouthfeel: medium body, low carbonation

drinkability: This is classic history here. Great dopple, but I rank it a little behind Celebrator and Liberator.

4.35/5  rDev +1.2%

0.5L mug served vom fass with a rich creamy tan head. Deep amber/maple color. Rich full toasted barley taste, sweet, maple, faint smokey flavor. While almost a meal on its own, surely it is an amazing compliment to cheese products or salty meat dishes (available at the cafe!) Reminiscent of a Nut Brown, but with a much fuller and conscious substance. Truly delicious, particulalry at the source. Enjoyed at Kloster Andechs - I highly recommend you visit this place.

4.07/5  rDev -5.3%

A- dark reddish brown with no head at all?!

S- Fruity and malty with a bit of tangy olive. Smells like dark, sweet spent grains.

T- Very fruity. it has a deep roast malt body and finish that is a little smokey.

M. good carbonation. a bit syrupy, which would be complemented by a more creamy head if it had one.

D. Not so much.

3.65/5  rDev -15.1%

The beer is clear red-brown, with a tan head leaving some lacing.

The smell is fruity ,grassy and yeasty, dry and fresh grass, some honey.

The taste is rather sweet, raisins and dates, acidity - green apples and pears.

Medium carbonation, medium complexity, a somewhat sticky feeling.

Not at all bad. Sampled at a "blind" beer tasting at De Klomp, Linköping, Sweden. We did nail it.

500ml bottle 7,1% Abv

I have never been a huge fan of bock beers, but I decided to give this one a go as it's one of the best in the style. Lets see whether it can convert me.

Appearance: Half way through the pour and I can already see that this is going to be an amazing looking beer. Crystal clear, deep crimson with stunning highlights when held to even the smallest light source. Good sized, cream coloured head that has pretty good retention and leaves a decent amount of lace stuck to the glass.

Smell: Wow, after the first whiff I know that this beer is going to change my perceptions towards bocks. Wonderful, slightly caramelly roasted malt aromas dominate the nose, darkish fruits (dates predominantly), molasses and a hint on smokiness are also noted.

Taste: The taste follows perfectly from the nose. Dark caramel malt, dates, cherries, molasses and a hint of coffee are just a few of the flavours that come to mind during each sip. Thankfully alcohol is barely -if at all- noted in the flavour.

Mouthfeel: What a pleasure this beer is to drink. Just fuller than medium bodied with perfect, ultra-smooth carbonation.

Drinkability: This beer has certainly convinced me that there are great bock beers out there and I will most certainly be having this one again many times in the future.

4.27/5  rDev -0.7%

Andechser, I wanted to try their doppelbock (barley), as I liked their Hefeweizen a lot.
'Genuss für Leib & Seele': Pleasure for body and soul.
Sounds good.
0.5 l bottle, bought in Nordhorn, Germany.

Colour is chestnut brown. Head is good, but carbonation is disappointing. Lacing is ok.

Smell of malts, roasted malts. A bit of coffee and chocolate, caramel.
Also in the taste. It's bittersweet and peppery.
Bitter aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is medium. Allthough the alcohol is not dominant, it's there. The carbonation is making up for it for sure. It makes this brew both refreshing and very warming.
Save this one for colder, rainy days (as a bockbier, that goes without saying).
Nice brew, recommended.

4.75/5  rDev +10.5%

Served into a Heinneken mug

The pour it was a dark brown resembling any cola with a big off white creamy head that dissipates rather quickly leaving a small lacing

The smell (for me) it was overpowered by the malts and coffee with hints of licorice and banana.

The taste (it was awesome), malts, coffee, licorice (also my wife tasted some chocolate that i couldn't), the alcohol taste it's very smooth for a 7.1% ABV, I think if you have a couple it can sneak on you. The flavor it's not very long lasting the only thing that leaves behind it's coffee feel in the mouth.

In all it's a very light beer to drink for a dark one with complex flavors, that leaves you wanting more.

I will have more!!!

4.67/5  rDev +8.6%

(Served in a weizen glass) mind estens halt bar bis: 191010
A- Glows clear but dense with a deep walnut brown body with a sea of microbubbles in slow motion to a light tan creamy head that last and last with nice lacing with each sip.
S- The rich sweet toasted maltiness with some caramel malt with raw grain in the background and a Vienna malt.
T- A rich roasted flavor with a slight sweetness leads to a dry finish with a nice darker roasted malt that grows in the finish. A hop bitterness blends with roasted dark malt and a light sulfur note all linger together after the finish.
M- This beer has a full mouthfeel with no alcohol heat and a nice creamy texture.
D- The full rich dark malt with some lager qualities and no real nougat melanoidins notes. This is a big beer with a nice supporting bitterness. It is a full meal in a glass.

3.81/5  rDev -11.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Half liter bottle poured into a Pokal glass. The taste is very comforting. Reminds me of drinking coffee or hot chocolate because of the warming affect of the alcohol and the toasty malt flavors. I think I'll definitely have to revisit this one in the cold winter months. The sweet malt and bitter flavors balance out to make this an extremely drinkable beer. I accidentally finished my whole bottle in about 20 minutes it was so good.

A very good beer thats maybe too easy to drink? I don't know if thats possible but I think it tasted too simple to me. I would have liked more flavors to linger on my tongue for me to ponder. Instead the beer just made me more thirsty.

4.35/5  rDev +1.2%

A: Dark reddish-brown body with about an inch of light tan head. Quickly receded but left behind a nice skim and some lacing.

S: Sweet malts: Caramel, chocolate, and cola. Real clean aroma profile.

T: Packed with plenty of sweet malts that are neither cloying nor heavy on the palate. Lots of cola, caramel, dark fruits, some chocolate and a bit of generic roasted goodness.

M: Medium bodied with a gentle rolling carbonation that keeps the sweetness moving across the tongue. Smooth finish with just a hint of lingering sweetness.

D: A pleasant drinking experience! My glass was empty before I knew it. I wish this was available in the states... I'd drink it every time I grilled some sausages. Glad I was able to finally track this one down.

4.83/5  rDev +12.3%

Had from the barrel at Kloster Andechs. Great place.

A: A nice dark red that is clear, not hazy. Nice thick head, slightly off-white.

S: Wonderful malty aroma. Not quite what I expected; very light smell, and quite sweet.

T: Amazing taste. Full body of sweet, malty, goodness, balanced well with a bitter taste. Slight hints of fruits.

M: Great mouthfeel. Good body, but I would have preferred it a bit fuller. A good level of carbonation.

D: Excellent drinkability, especially for a doppelbock. Went through 2 liter glasses quite quickly. Possibly my favorite beer.

4.35/5  rDev +1.2%

A huge thanks to Greg for including this as an extra in our recent trade! I've been wanting to try this one for quite some time.

A: The pour is a dark amber-kissed brown color with a finger's worth of khaki foam.

S: A nice sweet nose with some cola, chocolate, and caramel. There's a fair amount of roast to this, which I was not quite expecting.

T: The flavor is pretty much what I expect from a doppelbock. Toffee, caramel, cola, cherries, and just a pleasant sweetness overall. The roasted and toasted malts provide some nice complexity.

M: The body is medium with a very nice creamy and smooth carbonation to it.

D: I really liked this doppelbock, which is becoming a style that I enjoy very much. Good flavor and mouthfeel, and easy to drink.

4.4/5  rDev +2.3%

Poured from a 500ml bottle into my Stone imperial pint glass. Poured a deep and dark caramel color with a huge active tan head to it. The head faded down to a very thin bubbly layer after a few minutes and left a small amount of lacing as I drank it.

The aroma has sweet malty flavor to it with some caramel and nuttiness coming through. Some hints of dark fruits are present as well.

The taste has some very nice caramel and toffee flavors to it. Some dark fruit and a bit of cocoa coming through as well. It has a very flavorful and complex taste to it.

The mouthfeel is is on the heavier side and carbonation is relatively low. Excellent mouthfeel overall. Drinkability is good, it's a very flavorful and easy drinking beer. I really enjoyed it and would gladly have another, but would probably opt for something more available here in the U.S. in the future. I liked Thomas Hooker's Doppelbock just as much, if not more anyway.

4.65/5  rDev +8.1%

Had this at a random german bar in tokyo.

A- Poured a dark amber. About half an inch of head.
S- Nice maltiness.
T- Wow. The flavor was awesome. Little bit sweet, with only mild hoppiness.
M- Felt great going down.
D- I didn't even realize how fast I finished it. Definitely very easy to drink. Went down really easy.

4.28/5  rDev -0.5%

Appearance - Clear dark red. 1 finger of head with good retention.

Smell - Strong, nutty and earthy, with an unusual touch of soy sauce.

Taste - Very nutty for a doppelbock. Huge malt presence, but well balanced. Delicious.

Mouthfeel - Very smooth.

Drinkability - Good for the style.

Overall - I have no idea how I didn't think this beer was anything particularly special the first time I tried it.

Andechser Doppelbock Dunkel from Klosterbrauerei Andechs