Andechser Doppelbock Dunkel - Klosterbrauerei Andechs

Klosterbrauerei Andechs visit their website
Germany

Doppelbock |  7.10% ABV

Beer added by: Bierman9 on 06-16-2002

This world famous bock from Bavaria’s Holy Mountain is not meant to be rushed, but savoured slowly. As solid as a rock, Andechser Doppelbock Dunkel presides over the evening meal with a colour reminiscent of dark copper with nuances of fiery red. Its clear gleaming look harmonises with its firm, fine pored head.

Also the aroma delights the connoisseur: soft roasted accents and a nuance of dried fruit carrying a vein of caramel. This Doppelbock Dunkel from Bavaria’s Holy Mountain presents a pleasant effervescence. And then there’s the unmistakable flavour: mouthcoating and velvety, strong and yet pleasantly malty – a powerful, robust body. At the same time, it develops an easily recognisable sweetness, embraced in roasted cocoa and a light, bitter hoppiness.

Concluding with a powerful punch, this Doppelbock departs with a lingering aftertaste of quality plain chocolate. A strong Doppelbock that embodies the centuries old Benedictine brewing tradition, sip by delicious sip.
Ratings: 860 | Reviews: 401
4.43/5  rDev +3%

My brother-in-law brought me back a bottle of this from Germany. I told him to pick up anything, and was surprised to see this waiting for me. This pours a brilliant rusty, deep copper body with maroon highlights and perfect clarity. The head was very bountiful and bright white. The aroma is wonderfully fresh with fresh dough and toffee highlights. Hops are very subtle as the maltiness leads the way. The taste is filled with sweet caramels and toffee-like sugars. A slightly metallic sharpness seems to be a product of the hops and crystal malt. Not all that complex, but superbly layered. A coarse finish produced by the hops creates a perfect balance between the insanely smooth body and mouthfeel. As it warms, the sweetness increases and it goes down easier with each sip. Although I am not a huge dopplebock fan, this one is very well done and credit is due. I am glad I had the pleasure to taste this.

4.53/5  rDev +5.3%

Huge thanks to Dyan for sending this gem my way. Served at room temperature, poured into a stein.

A- Gorgeous combination of ruby red and burgundy hues. Produces a solid two fingers width of white head.

S- Strong scents of malts, caramel and toffee infiltrate the nose. Very unique mixture.

T- Best tasting doppelbock I have had to date....hands down! Rich flavors of caramel and buttery malts run abound. Absolutely delicious.

M- The favorite part of the beer IMO. It had a diacetyl type feel, which produced a smooth, buttery type viscosity that was perfection. Definitely can't be beat.

D- Smooth, great tasting what more can you ask for. I wish I had unlimited access to this fantastic brew.

Overall, thanks again dyan for hooking me up. If you are a doppelbock fan, this is definitely the perfect example of the style. We need to figure out a way to import this into the U.S.

3.55/5  rDev -17.4%

Got this at De Bierkoning in Amsterdam.

From a bottle into a mug.

APPEARANCE: Pours a medium sized off-white head that is very thin for the style. Head quickly dissipates to a very thin film, but soon everything vanishes. Colour is dark brown, like sienna or burnt umber. Next to zero carbonation evident.

SMELL: A medium scent of caramel malt and toffee. A slight hint of spiciness in the nose as well, which is nice. Not bad, though it could be stronger.

TASTE: Some sweet caramel malt, toffee, and some sweet wood in there as well. Very sweet and malty initially. Aftertaste is mild but long lasting, including some sweet wood and some spiciness, with a touch of hop bitterness at the end. Alcohol is very well hidden. Nice and relatively well balanced, but a bit too weak.

PALATE: Thinner bodied with lower end carbonation. Smooth on the palate, goes down smooth with a little bite at the end. Finishes with the right amount of stickiness on the palate.

OVERALL: Quite drinkable, goes down very easy, but unfortunately it's not quite memorable. Kind of neutral and overrated in my view. This is one I'd have again, but wouldn't go out of my way to find.

4.2/5  rDev -2.3%

I had this so many times. Always perfect quality. Straightforward like all German beers but still very flavorful. Loads of malts in both aroma and flavor. Nice sweetness, balanced bitterness, toffee and some butterscotch. Once had 6 bottles of 0,5 litres in a row and could still walk straight and no hangover. Great brew.

4.33/5  rDev +0.7%

Finally able to try this one. Poured into my nonic pint glass from a 500ml bottle. Appears a clear ruby red and brown color with a healthy two fingers of tan foam. Notes of dark fruits, bready grains and caramel malts are obvious in both the nose and taste. Really delicious and complex flavor full of sweet caramel malt, dark fruit and a touch of chocolate. Medium in both body and carbonation. Best doppel I've tried so far.

4.63/5  rDev +7.7%

On tap at the Munich pub.

I'm going from notes taken last summer. I loved a previous bottled version of this I had and highly anticipated this visit.

Deep chestnut color. A dazzling array of cedar, dark brown and a deep tan head. Perfect lacing as consumed.

The nose is quite good, but I was expecting a blast based on my memory of how much I like this beer. Was it to be? Yes, a rich vineous style of chocolate, german malt, noble hops.

Smooth and rich entry. Dances on the tongue, provides a near perfect balance of sweet maltiness and hop bittering. A hint of hop flavor behind the caramel and chocolate with hint of roast malt. Everything I remembered and more. So fresh, so inviting. I enjoyed this beer for 20 minutes while enjoying the atmosphere...warm evening, cafe doors opened to the evening sky.

One of the best of examples of the brewers art I have found.

4.25/5  rDev -1.2%

I was at the monastery 3 years ago & thought their doppelbock was a little boozy fresh from the tap. So I picked up a bottle & it's been in my fridge since! (Best before 28 08 06)

A: Deep reddish-brown with a light tan head; ring of retention, some lacing.

S: Dark fruit & bread, dark caramel, light spicing, slightly herbal with hints of alcohol.

T: Plenty of dark fruit, bready, dark (almost burnt) caramel, roasted nuts, peppery spicing, herbal, slight steelie grassiness, hints of chocolate, balanced bitterness, slight alcohol warmth.

M: Fairly full body is smooth with an off-dry finish.

D: Quite drinkable.

4.7/5  rDev +9.3%

Pours a deep ruby-red/mahogany color. Nice light tan, creamy head, pretty good retention. Nose is somewhat fruity and tart, with a little bit of roast.

Flavor is fantastic. I've had this beer several times now, including on tap, and it's absolutely delicious out of the bottle as well. This doppelbock has an amazing chocolately flavor, with a great roasty aftertaste. There's a lot of meat on the bone here. Dark fruit, roast, coffee, chocolate, and maple syrup sum this one up for me. And unlike the Celebrator, it's not too sweet. Medium-heavy, chewy mouthfeel coats the tongue in luscious, buttery layers. Low carbonation, which I love. Alcohol is not really apparent, although it's seven percent.

A malt bomb of the highest order, Andechser Doppelbock is in a league of it's own. Prost!

4.6/5  rDev +7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

A- Clear, brown with an amber tint. Fluffy, off-white head about an inch high which slowly settles to a lasting film.

S- Smell is not very intense. A medium-low sweetness from dark fruits, yeasty bread, and some roasted coffee. A slight note of citrus as well.

T- Follows the nose, but not as reigned in. Sweetness of dark fruit and roasted malt. There is only a slight hoppy bitterness. Slight note of alcohol on the finish makes it cut out nicely. Very well balanced.

M- Nice medium creaminess that is balanced perfectly with the carbonation.

D- Extremely drinkable for a doppelbock.

Overall, this beer is worthy of all of the praise it's received. A must try!

4.78/5  rDev +11.2%

My german wife and her sister had a special surprise for my birthday this year: a bottle of this fantastic Doppelbock and even a glass mug with its name on.

I used to drink this beer while visiting my then-fiance in Germany, but I did not have any of this beer for pretty exactly 5 years.

I poured it into the new mug, and it looked amazing, like black coffee with a beige head. Against the light it had a red shine.

The foam disappeared qickly.

The aroma is undescribable. Karamel is my first thought. Thick, sweet, but not sticky.
Very complex, a bit nutty.

The alcohol is with around 7% not that high for a Doppelbock, but it was very prominent in the taste.

During the last 5 years when I knew I could not get this beer, I was searching for something like this. I have tried quite a lot Bocks and Doppelbocks and other brews, and the closest similar kind is (in my opinion) the Ettaler Curator. And I am happy that I can buy that here in PA.

The Andechser Doppelbock Dunkel is the best beer I have ever tasted in my life, and it is such a shame that it cannot be sold in the US.

And to think that my wife's sister can get it in a regular supermarket for the equivalent of around 2$... Two dollars!... I want to cry...

4.42/5  rDev +2.8%

Served from a bottle.

Poured a dark reddish brown color with a smaller sized off white head. Aromas of caramel, dark fruits, roasted nuts, and all around malty. Tastes of caramel, toasted nuts, dark fruits, and some chocolate.

Notes from 12/17/07.

4.45/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

500mL bottle. Pours a clear chestnut color, capped with a fairly large khaki head. Enticing aroma; roasted malt, grain and hay take the forefront, and are nicely complimented by dark chocolate, molasses, and mild hops. Grain and roasted malt are the dominant flavors, with alcohol, chocolate cake, and dark fruits rounding things out and adding complexity. Fairly long finish, with chocolate and malt lingering on the palate. Very drinkable. The best doppelbock I've ever tasted. World Class.

4.56/5  rDev +6%

It looks like a sun-seeped pot of coffee. There is a healthy showing of carbonation and a virile head. The smell is low-key sweetness and slightly burnt grains.

The taste has a candyish sweetness, herbal hop presence, and the feel of green pastoral fields.

The mouthfeel is carbonated voracity followed by malty sweetness.

Despite the strength, this is a profoundly drinkable Bock. The more the mouth experiences, the more that is appreciated. It is a master of subtlety.

UPDATE: I had a few more bottles tonight, and I have to say it's just a damned great beer. I just can't believe the ABV, given the mouthfeel. A lovely damned beer. Tops in the dopplebock category, particularly because of it's prevalance in Germany and ubiquitous distribution. (I bought this round in a gas station.) I can't believe such a brilliant beer is so readily available.

4.75/5  rDev +10.5%

Appearance: Dark brown in color, brilliantly bright and clear when held to the light, with three fingers of thick tan head that lasts and lasts.

Smell: Toasted grain, chocolate and roasted nuts - not especially sweet however. There's a touch of fruit beneath it all, berries and figs coming to mind.

Taste & mouthfeel: Chocolatey and toasted with a light fruity sweetness, hints of graham cracker and roasted fig. Bitterness is pretty reigned in, there's not a ton of hop character beyond the mild bitterness in the finish and an herbal undercurrent. There's a mild sweetness to begin with, but this is profoundly dry and crisp in the finish, making for an unreasonably drinkable 7% beer.

Had a liter of this on tap at the pub in Munich and was yearning for more as I left, simply a phenomenal beer. I'm inclined to say that this beer has to be tried on tap to fully grasp how good it is, as the fresh bottle I tried earlier in the year simply did not compare.

Many thanks go out to Bierman9 for blessing me with such a wonderful treat.

Bottle poured into a large Pilsener Glass brought forth a large of white head that lasted a while .The body of this brew was crystal clear and dark brown with some ruby highlights in color. This thing is pretty it looks better than a touched up print add.

This is a nice light aroma, not what I expected from a dark brew. Very subtle bread and sweetness with an almost undetectable roasted malts note in the end.

This is what a doppelbock should be, yes I have found the standard bearer. This is sweet and malty but at the same time earthy so as to keep the sweetness in check. I can't find any alcohol present in the flavors. Smooth, creamy and rich comes to mind when trying to describe what I feel in my mouth

I am already sad seeing this on drain from my glass, if I make it to Germany this will be my beer of choice
I just have to end this review with,
Prosit!

4.49/5  rDev +4.4%

My special thanks go out to William (WJVII) and Marla Vogel. On there vacation to Europe in May of 2008 they purchased this brew for me. They carted it half way around the world from Germany to Stevens Point, Wisconsin. All for me to have this special moment. Again, thank you.

A - A very tall, dark tan, foamy, and quickly rising head. The body is a dark brown with amber and purple tints as the light passed through.

S - The scents of chocolate, smoked meats, malt and cherry all wrapped up in one. The only hindrance is the weakness.

T - The flavors begin mild and move toward bold as the taste progresses. There are strong malt flavors that consist of caramel, subtle spices and pungent fruits. While the alcohol taste is present it by no means controls the brew.

M - The feel is actually a bit coarse considering how smooth the flavors flow. There is an after-feeling in the back of my throat that's obvious. The texture is strange in that it touches the front of my tongue very softly but after the brew is down there is a coarseness left behind. I actually think it assists in prolonging the flavor. Upon my first sip I was not please but as I've moved on I am actually really enjoying this unique characteristic.

~ I must admit this is one of the finest, if not THE finest, doppelbock I've ever had. I will look again for this brew and hope to someday enjoy one on German soil with my good friends, Bill and Marla. Did I say thank you?

4.56/5  rDev +6%

Had the chance to acquire a decent amount of a fresh batch of this recently. Thrilled to finally be able to put this one under my belt, I wasted no time at all with getting one chilled down to enjoy. Served out of the fridge and poured into a twenty ounce pint glass, this one was consumed on 10/22/2008.

The look was absolutely perfect, and I really mean that. For the style, it gets no better then this one, hands down. Rich dark brown in color and completely opaque, save for a few touches of light peaking through on the sides and bottom, giving it a slightly reddish tone around the edges. Some nice, light carbonation came trickling up from the bottom of the glass, converging into a rich three inch head of off white foam that took what seemed like forever to finally settled down. Rich side glass lacing then followed this and I mean I cannot stress enough how good this one looked.

The aroma was a touch lighter then I would have expected, but still absolutely great. Rich notes of caramel and toffee just ruled the day here. Some light notes of bready malts and a touch of earthy hops in the back, with the tiniest hint of a spicy alcohol, but so mellow it was barely noticeable. Then I took a taste. This had to be the smoothest, creamiest, bock I have ever encountered. Hands down just ridiculously good. Super sweet with nice notes of caramel, toffee and rich bready malts all over this. So subtle in its profile, so rich in its complexity, it was seriously hard to match this in terms of anything I have had in the style before. Super smooth carbonation and a body that bordered on the full line, as it was so filling and creamy that I nearly melted into my chair. Rich, and very sweet aftertaste then moved me right back to where I started leaving that toffee like flavor laying across my tongue for the rest of the evening.

In the end, I was utterly blown away by this one. One of the best beers I have ever had, period. It was just so smooth it almost defined logic. I could not simply imagine having something this good, and here I was enjoying it. This one needs to be tried by everyone, it defined the style for me. What a happy night.

4.31/5  rDev +0.2%

Had the opportunity to try this following a trade with RedHaze. Thanks, man!

A: A deep, bronze with some soft, reddish highlights. A great coloured bock - a light sandy, creamy head. A great lacing all the way down the glass in cascading layers. Perhaps the most perfect looking pour I've seen.

S: Soft, toffee sweetness blended in with a toasty malt scent - whole grain bread, and slightly cake-like. A little vegetal - almost like green bean.

T + M + D: A nice, rich body with almost a creamy butteriness to the feel. This complements the warm malts very nicely. A bit of a butter-icing flavour. A sparkling carbonation adds a nice touch to the already great feel. A delicious doppelbock, and perhaps one of my favourites to date. The warming of alcohol comes out a little bit towards the end of the bottle, but keeps fairly well hidden for the most half. Makes for quite easy drinking, with a little kick on the way out.

4.5/5  rDev +4.7%

150 reviews as of this writing. Thanks to redhaze for the chance to try this gem. I've had a number of US interpretations of this style and enjoyed them. This.... This beer set's the standard for me and is one I'd be happy to enjoy again except for the whole getting access to it. If you like your dopplebock malty, crisp and oh so easy to quaff try this one. If you get the chance definitely go for it!

4.02/5  rDev -6.5%

Pours dark amber with a small butter cream colored head that quickly recedes to a ring. Aroma is of caramel, brown sugar, some very nice toastiness that mixes well with the sweet maltiness, crackers and bread, and a bit of graininess. Taste follows with some sweet maltiness up front, golden raisin sweetness, fruit and berries, caramel, a great molasses quality, toasty grains lead to a nice crisp hop quality in the finish. Mouthfeel is medium in body, carbonation is on the low side which allows the malty sweetness to weigh slightly on the palate before a small peppery crispness works to balance it out towards the finish. Very enjoyeable and highly drinkable beer.

4.62/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Got this one in a trade with RedHaze. Thanks!
Clear reddish brown with a garnet, purplish hue when held up to the light. A one finger cap of dense, off-white foam appeared after the pour, settling to a skim of fine bubbles and solid collar after a few minutes. Sticky, spotty lacing. Tons of malt character in the aroma, very cakey and bready, rich with notes of toast and biscuit. It had some fruit character as well, mild dried fruits like raisins and figs. Flashes of dry cocoa and darker malts, plus a bit of smoke, appeared as it warmed too. There was a solid bitterness lying beneath the malt flavour, never too far forward yet providing the necessary balance. Light citrus mid-palate hung around through the finish. Alcohol was present from the start, but stayed light and balanced throughout. Malt sweetness played the dominant role, but the caramelized sugar and bread flavours weren't let run wild. Notes of cake and toffee, perhaps a bit of biscuit, floated in and out of focus, along with some dried fruit sweetness and a hint of yeast. The finish wasn't overlong, but a balanced combination of flavours lingered for a while on the palate. Medium bodied with medium/low, well integrated carbonation. Texture was a bit creamy and chewy. This stuff is superb. I was expecting a lot of malt, but was pleasantly surprised by the complexity of flavours present. That quality made this a pleasure to drink, and very easy to polish off a bottle.

4.67/5  rDev +8.6%

What a bier!!! I got a nice size liter of this straight from the tap at Kloster Andechs. I never did find Carl Orf but I did manage to find the biergarten.

Appearance was dark brown...slightly ruby. Nice head retention as the foam slowly subsided.

Smell...a nice blend of matls, noble hops and alcohol.

Taste was obviously very complex...spicey, matly, herby ...caramel..nutty...what else is there???

Mouthfeel was very nice, very full and complex, a sensational balance of spices, malts, hops and alcohol.

This is truly a beer that has been perfected over the ages, and by ages I mean centuries!

4.77/5  rDev +10.9%

Thanks to RedHaze for the chance to try this beer. Very generous in a trade, and I'd probably not have had the chance to try this otherwise. Pours a very dark brown with ruby highlights. The head is not bad, but nothing special, and it fades fairly quickly to a thin swirly head. Smells of dark pumpernickel bread, very dry malt, blackstrap molasses, and an earthy bitterness. Black bread in a glass. The taste is even richer and breadier, but with some wonderful dark bitterness laced throughout. More black bread, and an earthy, grainy bitterness, especially at the finish with dark chocolate bitterness. Up front there is ssome creamy sweetness to start things off. Very complex, chewy, and rich. What a wonderful beer! Creamy, rich, stiff, and bitter in turns as far as mouthfeel goes. I could drink this beer all day- its just that wonderful and perfectly balanced. By far the best dopplebock I've ever had, and much less sweet and fruity than most.

4.47/5  rDev +4%

Viggo was nice enough to share this one. thanks eric!

500ml bottle. best before 08 10 08. sampled sept 13/08.

pours a nice red-brown, garnet when held to the light, with a small dense off-white head. the head quickly drops to a ring around the glass and leaves a plenty of spotty lace.

aroma is excellent. rich caramel and toffee. loads of dark fruit - date, fig, bit of raisin. the caramel and fruit gives it sort of a candied fruit feel. hint of smoke. bit of biscuit. multi-grain bread. touch of alcohol, but it is mostly hidden.

taste is great. toasted multi-grain bread. caramel and toffee again. still lots of dark fruit too - date, fig, dried craberry, bit of raisin. bit of biscuit. a little more alcohol than in the aroma, but mostly only noticeable as a gentle spreading warmth on the way down. fairly low bitterness level, yet a touch more than i expected. there's a bit of yeasty character too - slightly unexpected considering the clarity.

mouthfeel is good. medium body. medium-low very fine carbonation.

drinkability is great. excellent balance. love all the fruit and caramel. a real treat. thanks again eric!

4.42/5  rDev +2.8%

Big thanks to RedHaze for hooking me up with this one, I've been trying to get for a while.

Pours a clear dark reddish orange, light brown, thick off white head forms, quickly settles to a medium ring, some lace spots on the glass. Smell is glorious, very bready, yeast, biscuit, caramel, bit of iron, dark fruits, bit of orangey citrus, rich and delicious smelling. Taste is great, brown sugar sweetness, citrus, light floral, then caramel, lots of dark fruit and iron, raisins, maybe a touch of chocolate roastiness, very dry biscuity finish, light bit of spice, very enjoyable. Mouthfeel is light to medium bodied with low carbonation, bit of warmth but very smooth. Definition of liquid bread, fantastic doppelbock.

Andechser Doppelbock Dunkel from Klosterbrauerei Andechs