Andechser Doppelbock Dunkel - Klosterbrauerei Andechs

Andechser Doppelbock DunkelAndechser Doppelbock Dunkel

Klosterbrauerei Andechs visit their website
Germany

Doppelbock |  7.10% ABV

This world famous bock from Bavaria’s Holy Mountain is not meant to be rushed, but savoured slowly. As solid as a rock, Andechser Doppelbock Dunkel presides over the evening meal with a colour reminiscent of dark copper with nuances of fiery red. Its clear gleaming look harmonises with its firm, fine pored head.

Also the aroma delights the connoisseur: soft roasted accents and a nuance of dried fruit carrying a vein of caramel. This Doppelbock Dunkel from Bavaria’s Holy Mountain presents a pleasant effervescence. And then there’s the unmistakable flavour: mouthcoating and velvety, strong and yet pleasantly malty – a powerful, robust body. At the same time, it develops an easily recognisable sweetness, embraced in roasted cocoa and a light, bitter hoppiness.

Concluding with a powerful punch, this Doppelbock departs with a lingering aftertaste of quality plain chocolate. A strong Doppelbock that embodies the centuries old Benedictine brewing tradition, sip by delicious sip.

(Beer added by: Bierman9 on 06-16-2002)
4.1/5  rDev -4.7%

A - Pours dark like raw dense cider, off white .5 inch head leaves to disk. Small bubbled tight lacing.

S - Deep wort like malt. Bready, doughy.

T - Taste as smell. Add some grain flavors too.

M - Creamy, great carb, good coating, beautiful balance. Everything in sync.

D - A very nice beer. Not sure its worth the hype for me, but I like it!

srandycarter, May 08, 2009
4.4/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Thanks to kmpitz2 who hand carried this back to the USA.

Pours into my glass a deep amber/brown with a big creamy white head and great clarity. Looks quite inviting in my glass. Aromas start with deep rich malts. Caramel, sweetbread, a touch nutty and doughy. Just intensely malty with toffee accents as well. Rich, deep and enticing.

First sip brings caramel and toffee German malts rolling all over the place. Doughy with a bit of nuttiness that moves into some dark fruit flavors as well. Flows down with rich lingering malts and a touch of bitterness. Not the most complex of beers but a clean, tasty malt bomb that does not disappoint.

Mouthfeel is smooth and creamy with solid medium body. Quite drinkable and somewhat like a meal in a glass. "Liquid bread" is not a bad way to describe this one. Well worth tracking down if you love doppelbocks. I would love to try this at the source sometime.

orbitalr0x, May 08, 2009
4.6/5  rDev +7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Mahagony in color with ruby hues where light interacts. Nicely carbonated upon opening with a efficient off white head that fades into a half inch topper leaving no lace.

Aroma shows massive toffee and caramel with a smell like the candy coating on a candy covered apple. Some wine like notes as well. Earthy with a biscuity presence.

Damn I can see why this is so well reviewed. This bottle is probably over two years old. Shows hints of oxidation which add a sherry like quality to the middle and finish. Beginning is all toffee, caramel, mollasses brown sugar and a walnut type nuttiness. Some other dried fruits intermingled in as well. A slight roastiness on the long, decadent semi sweet finish. Mouth is round and chewy with light carbonation.

mcallister, Apr 05, 2009
4.53/5  rDev +5.3%

Received in a trade from Florida, thanks Dave! Poured into a fluted glass - appearance is a murky dark brown with red highlights in the light, off white head is half a finger and quickly dissipates. Lots of sticky lacing around the edge of the glass.

Smell is very faint, but I can still detect biscuity malts and a ripe raisin smell.

The taste is the highlight for this beer, definitely. Initially a creamy vanilla flavor, but later you get the malt, some strong yeast, and some fruity astringency. Very complex, very balanced, a damn well crafted beer.

Mouthfeel is a bit more carbonated than I was expecting - compared to other Dopplebochs, this one is a bit lighter and more crisp - lacks the lingering creaminess of an Ayinger.

I must once again say thanks to Dave from FL for giving not one, but two of these up in a trade - the first being damaged. He was right in saying this was one of the best beers he's had yet on the best of BA.

raoulduke37, Apr 01, 2009
4.25/5  rDev -1.2%

Had on tap at Kloster Andechs Nurnberg. Served in a stemmed Andechs glass.

Mahogany color, 2 fingers of tan head with great retention. Very clear liquid, though dark.

Fairly strong smell, of wood, campfire, and dried fruit. Makes me think of a strange quad/rauch blend.

Lovely rich taste, caramel, raisin, burnt sugar, biscuts, alcohol. Pretty overpowering and incredible.

Medium full mouthfeel. The taste lingers, slight alcohol feel in finish.

Drinkable, though I'd prefer to savor a smaller glass.

brc, Apr 01, 2009
4.05/5  rDev -5.8%

Drank from a ,5l bottle
Best before end: 25 03 09
Served in a pilsner glass

Acquired in a trade with mikesgroove

The beer poured a crystal clear, amber-mahogany color with a tight, creamy, light tan, two-finger head that faded to a lasting cap. Chunks of lacing stuck along the glass.

The aroma was robust. Very beady and sweet with a rich caramel maltiness and some brown sugar notes. Slightly nutty. Somewhat candy-like and a touch boozy.

The taste was decent but not stellar. Definitely not as full-flavored as I anticipated. Sweet caramel malts came through strong up front. Buttery and smooth. Slightly grainy in the center. Quite bready and biscuity. The flavor profile faded rather quickly on the back end. A touch of booziness appeared on the finish.

The mouthfeel was creamy and smooth yet thinner than expected. Somewhat fluffy on the palate.

Drinkability was good. This pleasant, easy-drinking doppelbock masked its alcohol quite well.

I had very high hopes for this difficult to find brew, but unfortunately it did not win me over. This is a better than average doppelbock but definitely not one of the best (and certainly not a top twenty-five beer, in my opinion). I am perplexed as to why this beer garners the attention that it does.

Damian, Mar 24, 2009
4.45/5  rDev +3.5%

My brother-in-law brought me back a bottle of this from Germany. I told him to pick up anything, and was surprised to see this waiting for me. This pours a brilliant rusty, deep copper body with maroon highlights and perfect clarity. The head was very bountiful and bright white. The aroma is wonderfully fresh with fresh dough and toffee highlights. Hops are very subtle as the maltiness leads the way. The taste is filled with sweet caramels and toffee-like sugars. A slightly metallic sharpness seems to be a product of the hops and crystal malt. Not all that complex, but superbly layered. A coarse finish produced by the hops creates a perfect balance between the insanely smooth body and mouthfeel. As it warms, the sweetness increases and it goes down easier with each sip. Although I am not a huge dopplebock fan, this one is very well done and credit is due. I am glad I had the pleasure to taste this.

ALESwhatCURESya, Mar 03, 2009
4.55/5  rDev +5.8%

Huge thanks to Dyan for sending this gem my way. Served at room temperature, poured into a stein.

A- Gorgeous combination of ruby red and burgundy hues. Produces a solid two fingers width of white head.

S- Strong scents of malts, caramel and toffee infiltrate the nose. Very unique mixture.

T- Best tasting doppelbock I have had to date....hands down! Rich flavors of caramel and buttery malts run abound. Absolutely delicious.

M- The favorite part of the beer IMO. It had a diacetyl type feel, which produced a smooth, buttery type viscosity that was perfection. Definitely can't be beat.

D- Smooth, great tasting what more can you ask for. I wish I had unlimited access to this fantastic brew.

Overall, thanks again dyan for hooking me up. If you are a doppelbock fan, this is definitely the perfect example of the style. We need to figure out a way to import this into the U.S.

rhinos00, Feb 26, 2009
3.6/5  rDev -16.3%

Got this at De Bierkoning in Amsterdam.

From a bottle into a mug.

APPEARANCE: Pours a medium sized off-white head that is very thin for the style. Head quickly dissipates to a very thin film, but soon everything vanishes. Colour is dark brown, like sienna or burnt umber. Next to zero carbonation evident.

SMELL: A medium scent of caramel malt and toffee. A slight hint of spiciness in the nose as well, which is nice. Not bad, though it could be stronger.

TASTE: Some sweet caramel malt, toffee, and some sweet wood in there as well. Very sweet and malty initially. Aftertaste is mild but long lasting, including some sweet wood and some spiciness, with a touch of hop bitterness at the end. Alcohol is very well hidden. Nice and relatively well balanced, but a bit too weak.

PALATE: Thinner bodied with lower end carbonation. Smooth on the palate, goes down smooth with a little bite at the end. Finishes with the right amount of stickiness on the palate.

OVERALL: Quite drinkable, goes down very easy, but unfortunately it's not quite memorable. Kind of neutral and overrated in my view. This is one I'd have again, but wouldn't go out of my way to find.

Jeffo, Feb 25, 2009
4.2/5  rDev -2.3%

I had this so many times. Always perfect quality. Straightforward like all German beers but still very flavorful. Loads of malts in both aroma and flavor. Nice sweetness, balanced bitterness, toffee and some butterscotch. Once had 6 bottles of 0,5 litres in a row and could still walk straight and no hangover. Great brew.

johnnybravo, Feb 19, 2009
4.35/5  rDev +1.2%

Finally able to try this one. Poured into my nonic pint glass from a 500ml bottle. Appears a clear ruby red and brown color with a healthy two fingers of tan foam. Notes of dark fruits, bready grains and caramel malts are obvious in both the nose and taste. Really delicious and complex flavor full of sweet caramel malt, dark fruit and a touch of chocolate. Medium in both body and carbonation. Best doppel I've tried so far.

ClockworkOrange, Feb 17, 2009
4.68/5  rDev +8.8%

On tap at the Munich pub.

I'm going from notes taken last summer. I loved a previous bottled version of this I had and highly anticipated this visit.

Deep chestnut color. A dazzling array of cedar, dark brown and a deep tan head. Perfect lacing as consumed.

The nose is quite good, but I was expecting a blast based on my memory of how much I like this beer. Was it to be? Yes, a rich vineous style of chocolate, german malt, noble hops.

Smooth and rich entry. Dances on the tongue, provides a near perfect balance of sweet maltiness and hop bittering. A hint of hop flavor behind the caramel and chocolate with hint of roast malt. Everything I remembered and more. So fresh, so inviting. I enjoyed this beer for 20 minutes while enjoying the atmosphere...warm evening, cafe doors opened to the evening sky.

One of the best of examples of the brewers art I have found.

sweethome, Feb 01, 2009
4.28/5  rDev -0.5%

I was at the monastery 3 years ago & thought their doppelbock was a little boozy fresh from the tap. So I picked up a bottle & it's been in my fridge since! (Best before 28 08 06)

A: Deep reddish-brown with a light tan head; ring of retention, some lacing.

S: Dark fruit & bread, dark caramel, light spicing, slightly herbal with hints of alcohol.

T: Plenty of dark fruit, bready, dark (almost burnt) caramel, roasted nuts, peppery spicing, herbal, slight steelie grassiness, hints of chocolate, balanced bitterness, slight alcohol warmth.

M: Fairly full body is smooth with an off-dry finish.

D: Quite drinkable.

Derek, Jan 19, 2009
4.75/5  rDev +10.5%

Pours a deep ruby-red/mahogany color. Nice light tan, creamy head, pretty good retention. Nose is somewhat fruity and tart, with a little bit of roast.

Flavor is fantastic. I've had this beer several times now, including on tap, and it's absolutely delicious out of the bottle as well. This doppelbock has an amazing chocolately flavor, with a great roasty aftertaste. There's a lot of meat on the bone here. Dark fruit, roast, coffee, chocolate, and maple syrup sum this one up for me. And unlike the Celebrator, it's not too sweet. Medium-heavy, chewy mouthfeel coats the tongue in luscious, buttery layers. Low carbonation, which I love. Alcohol is not really apparent, although it's seven percent.

A malt bomb of the highest order, Andechser Doppelbock is in a league of it's own. Prost!

dasenebler, Dec 08, 2008
4.6/5  rDev +7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

A- Clear, brown with an amber tint. Fluffy, off-white head about an inch high which slowly settles to a lasting film.

S- Smell is not very intense. A medium-low sweetness from dark fruits, yeasty bread, and some roasted coffee. A slight note of citrus as well.

T- Follows the nose, but not as reigned in. Sweetness of dark fruit and roasted malt. There is only a slight hoppy bitterness. Slight note of alcohol on the finish makes it cut out nicely. Very well balanced.

M- Nice medium creaminess that is balanced perfectly with the carbonation.

D- Extremely drinkable for a doppelbock.

Overall, this beer is worthy of all of the praise it's received. A must try!

TommyW, Dec 07, 2008
4.8/5  rDev +11.6%

My german wife and her sister had a special surprise for my birthday this year: a bottle of this fantastic Doppelbock and even a glass mug with its name on.

I used to drink this beer while visiting my then-fiance in Germany, but I did not have any of this beer for pretty exactly 5 years.

I poured it into the new mug, and it looked amazing, like black coffee with a beige head. Against the light it had a red shine.

The foam disappeared qickly.

The aroma is undescribable. Karamel is my first thought. Thick, sweet, but not sticky.
Very complex, a bit nutty.

The alcohol is with around 7% not that high for a Doppelbock, but it was very prominent in the taste.

During the last 5 years when I knew I could not get this beer, I was searching for something like this. I have tried quite a lot Bocks and Doppelbocks and other brews, and the closest similar kind is (in my opinion) the Ettaler Curator. And I am happy that I can buy that here in PA.

The Andechser Doppelbock Dunkel is the best beer I have ever tasted in my life, and it is such a shame that it cannot be sold in the US.

And to think that my wife's sister can get it in a regular supermarket for the equivalent of around 2$... Two dollars!... I want to cry...

Bierfreund, Dec 01, 2008
4.43/5  rDev +3%

Served from a bottle.

Poured a dark reddish brown color with a smaller sized off white head. Aromas of caramel, dark fruits, roasted nuts, and all around malty. Tastes of caramel, toasted nuts, dark fruits, and some chocolate.

Notes from 12/17/07.

hopdog, Nov 20, 2008
4.45/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

500mL bottle. Pours a clear chestnut color, capped with a fairly large khaki head. Enticing aroma; roasted malt, grain and hay take the forefront, and are nicely complimented by dark chocolate, molasses, and mild hops. Grain and roasted malt are the dominant flavors, with alcohol, chocolate cake, and dark fruits rounding things out and adding complexity. Fairly long finish, with chocolate and malt lingering on the palate. Very drinkable. The best doppelbock I've ever tasted. World Class.

krkearney, Nov 13, 2008
4.63/5  rDev +7.7%

It looks like a sun-seeped pot of coffee. There is a healthy showing of carbonation and a virile head. The smell is low-key sweetness and slightly burnt grains.

The taste has a candyish sweetness, herbal hop presence, and the feel of green pastoral fields.

The mouthfeel is carbonated voracity followed by malty sweetness.

Despite the strength, this is a profoundly drinkable Bock. The more the mouth experiences, the more that is appreciated. It is a master of subtlety.

UPDATE: I had a few more bottles tonight, and I have to say it's just a damned great beer. I just can't believe the ABV, given the mouthfeel. A lovely damned beer. Tops in the dopplebock category, particularly because of it's prevalance in Germany and ubiquitous distribution. (I bought this round in a gas station.) I can't believe such a brilliant beer is so readily available.

etherashe, Oct 30, 2008
4.78/5  rDev +11.2%

Appearance: Dark brown in color, brilliantly bright and clear when held to the light, with three fingers of thick tan head that lasts and lasts.

Smell: Toasted grain, chocolate and roasted nuts - not especially sweet however. There's a touch of fruit beneath it all, berries and figs coming to mind.

Taste & mouthfeel: Chocolatey and toasted with a light fruity sweetness, hints of graham cracker and roasted fig. Bitterness is pretty reigned in, there's not a ton of hop character beyond the mild bitterness in the finish and an herbal undercurrent. There's a mild sweetness to begin with, but this is profoundly dry and crisp in the finish, making for an unreasonably drinkable 7% beer.

Had a liter of this on tap at the pub in Munich and was yearning for more as I left, simply a phenomenal beer. I'm inclined to say that this beer has to be tried on tap to fully grasp how good it is, as the fresh bottle I tried earlier in the year simply did not compare.

largadeer, Oct 28, 2008

Many thanks go out to Bierman9 for blessing me with such a wonderful treat.

Bottle poured into a large Pilsener Glass brought forth a large of white head that lasted a while .The body of this brew was crystal clear and dark brown with some ruby highlights in color. This thing is pretty it looks better than a touched up print add.

This is a nice light aroma, not what I expected from a dark brew. Very subtle bread and sweetness with an almost undetectable roasted malts note in the end.

This is what a doppelbock should be, yes I have found the standard bearer. This is sweet and malty but at the same time earthy so as to keep the sweetness in check. I can't find any alcohol present in the flavors. Smooth, creamy and rich comes to mind when trying to describe what I feel in my mouth

I am already sad seeing this on drain from my glass, if I make it to Germany this will be my beer of choice
I just have to end this review with,
Prosit!

joepais, Oct 25, 2008
4.55/5  rDev +5.8%

My special thanks go out to William (WJVII) and Marla Vogel. On there vacation to Europe in May of 2008 they purchased this brew for me. They carted it half way around the world from Germany to Stevens Point, Wisconsin. All for me to have this special moment. Again, thank you.

A - A very tall, dark tan, foamy, and quickly rising head. The body is a dark brown with amber and purple tints as the light passed through.

S - The scents of chocolate, smoked meats, malt and cherry all wrapped up in one. The only hindrance is the weakness.

T - The flavors begin mild and move toward bold as the taste progresses. There are strong malt flavors that consist of caramel, subtle spices and pungent fruits. While the alcohol taste is present it by no means controls the brew.

M - The feel is actually a bit coarse considering how smooth the flavors flow. There is an after-feeling in the back of my throat that's obvious. The texture is strange in that it touches the front of my tongue very softly but after the brew is down there is a coarseness left behind. I actually think it assists in prolonging the flavor. Upon my first sip I was not please but as I've moved on I am actually really enjoying this unique characteristic.

~ I must admit this is one of the finest, if not THE finest, doppelbock I've ever had. I will look again for this brew and hope to someday enjoy one on German soil with my good friends, Bill and Marla. Did I say thank you?

cdkrenz, Oct 24, 2008
4.58/5  rDev +6.5%

Had the chance to acquire a decent amount of a fresh batch of this recently. Thrilled to finally be able to put this one under my belt, I wasted no time at all with getting one chilled down to enjoy. Served out of the fridge and poured into a twenty ounce pint glass, this one was consumed on 10/22/2008.

The look was absolutely perfect, and I really mean that. For the style, it gets no better then this one, hands down. Rich dark brown in color and completely opaque, save for a few touches of light peaking through on the sides and bottom, giving it a slightly reddish tone around the edges. Some nice, light carbonation came trickling up from the bottom of the glass, converging into a rich three inch head of off white foam that took what seemed like forever to finally settled down. Rich side glass lacing then followed this and I mean I cannot stress enough how good this one looked.

The aroma was a touch lighter then I would have expected, but still absolutely great. Rich notes of caramel and toffee just ruled the day here. Some light notes of bready malts and a touch of earthy hops in the back, with the tiniest hint of a spicy alcohol, but so mellow it was barely noticeable. Then I took a taste. This had to be the smoothest, creamiest, bock I have ever encountered. Hands down just ridiculously good. Super sweet with nice notes of caramel, toffee and rich bready malts all over this. So subtle in its profile, so rich in its complexity, it was seriously hard to match this in terms of anything I have had in the style before. Super smooth carbonation and a body that bordered on the full line, as it was so filling and creamy that I nearly melted into my chair. Rich, and very sweet aftertaste then moved me right back to where I started leaving that toffee like flavor laying across my tongue for the rest of the evening.

In the end, I was utterly blown away by this one. One of the best beers I have ever had, period. It was just so smooth it almost defined logic. I could not simply imagine having something this good, and here I was enjoying it. This one needs to be tried by everyone, it defined the style for me. What a happy night.

mikesgroove, Oct 24, 2008
4.33/5  rDev +0.7%

Had the opportunity to try this following a trade with RedHaze. Thanks, man!

A: A deep, bronze with some soft, reddish highlights. A great coloured bock - a light sandy, creamy head. A great lacing all the way down the glass in cascading layers. Perhaps the most perfect looking pour I've seen.

S: Soft, toffee sweetness blended in with a toasty malt scent - whole grain bread, and slightly cake-like. A little vegetal - almost like green bean.

T + M + D: A nice, rich body with almost a creamy butteriness to the feel. This complements the warm malts very nicely. A bit of a butter-icing flavour. A sparkling carbonation adds a nice touch to the already great feel. A delicious doppelbock, and perhaps one of my favourites to date. The warming of alcohol comes out a little bit towards the end of the bottle, but keeps fairly well hidden for the most half. Makes for quite easy drinking, with a little kick on the way out.

Proteus93, Oct 15, 2008
4.5/5  rDev +4.7%

150 reviews as of this writing. Thanks to redhaze for the chance to try this gem. I've had a number of US interpretations of this style and enjoyed them. This.... This beer set's the standard for me and is one I'd be happy to enjoy again except for the whole getting access to it. If you like your dopplebock malty, crisp and oh so easy to quaff try this one. If you get the chance definitely go for it!

barleywinebrewer, Oct 12, 2008