Andechser Doppelbock Dunkel - Klosterbrauerei Andechs

Andechser Doppelbock DunkelAndechser Doppelbock Dunkel

Klosterbrauerei Andechs visit their website
Germany

Doppelbock |  7.10% ABV

This world famous bock from Bavaria’s Holy Mountain is not meant to be rushed, but savoured slowly. As solid as a rock, Andechser Doppelbock Dunkel presides over the evening meal with a colour reminiscent of dark copper with nuances of fiery red. Its clear gleaming look harmonises with its firm, fine pored head.

Also the aroma delights the connoisseur: soft roasted accents and a nuance of dried fruit carrying a vein of caramel. This Doppelbock Dunkel from Bavaria’s Holy Mountain presents a pleasant effervescence. And then there’s the unmistakable flavour: mouthcoating and velvety, strong and yet pleasantly malty – a powerful, robust body. At the same time, it develops an easily recognisable sweetness, embraced in roasted cocoa and a light, bitter hoppiness.

Concluding with a powerful punch, this Doppelbock departs with a lingering aftertaste of quality plain chocolate. A strong Doppelbock that embodies the centuries old Benedictine brewing tradition, sip by delicious sip.

(Beer added by: Bierman9 on 06-16-2002)
4.7/5  rDev +9.3%

A 500 mL bottle courtesy of HumblePatience.

A: The bock is a deep tawny color, deep ruby red that is accentuated when light shines through. Tawny is not 100% accurate, as the bock is just a little too dark to be a port. A quarter finger of head arose on pour and quickly dissapated to a white band.

S: The nose is toasty, full of grains. The bready smell is accentuated with a dry fruitiness that is part apricot and part green apple.

T: Wow! The blast of malts is intense but it doesn't go over the top. The flavor screams maibock with its slightly fruity grain taste. Green apples with a touch of brown sugar sweetens up the taste, sweetening up malt body. Caramel and biscuit malt flavors are strong but well-balanced, mixing with the fruitiness to create a solid taste that is lively and fresh. I am not a fan of doppelbocks but this one is very good.

M: The mouthfeel is smooth, allowing the malts to stand out without the biting sharpness that most doppelbocks manage to create. The sweet lightness makes me anxious for the upcoming helles bock season.

D: The abv is moderate but it seems to really hit hard, although you'd never know it from the taste. Big thanks again to HumblePatience for this beauty.

4.47/5  rDev +4%

Even though the beer was 7.10% ABV, it was nice calm. I could sit back and enjoy several of these throughout an afternoon or evening. The beer was successful in achieving the dopplebock dunkel style and I would recommend this to anyone. Especially if you can go to Andechs southeast of Munich to enjoy it.

4.5/5  rDev +4.7%

Dark brown with a darkish head that disappears leaving lace around the sides. Smells very sweet - roasted malts, caramel. Taste is incredibly rich and sweet, brown sugar, toffee, nutty, butterscotch, a bit of coffee. Hops barely come through for some balance but theyre really missed. Light carbonation. This beer tastes so good I can't stop sipping. Like all dopplebocks, it seems to sit very heavy in my stomach. Nonetheless, highly drinkable, and though I'm not experienced enough to say whether it takes the cake as #1 German beer, I'd say it'd be difficult to make a more superior version of this style.

I'm glad to have found this one - I've tried a few doppelbocks recently and have not been too impressed, yet this one certainly makes me want to investigate this style further.

Full of rich malt taste but well attenuated - I assume this is a bottom fermented brew - with a well balanced flavour.

I don't really know this style well enough to do a full review yet - maybe I'll edit later - but, as they say, I know what I like!

4.65/5  rDev +8.1%

HUGE Thanks to KMWeaver. Your are a great beer buddy. We got to do more.

Poured from a .5L bottle to a pint glass the liquid is middle brown, cloudy, with good carbonation, The head is a nice, 2 fingers light tan and rocky, it leaves some lace.

The smell is surprisingly unique , I'm getting some winter green, dark, light and green fruits, and some caramel notes. Plum, fig, banana, apple and grapes.

The taste is very nice, really unlike most DB's that we get in the US. Mixed fruit, milt taste not bold. Lost of holiday bread, reminds me of Grandma Krause's Stollen.

The mouthfeel is excellent a creamy smooth brew withgreat body and excellent carbonation.

The drinkability is also outstanding. This is not the biggest or boldest DB on the Platz but extremely refined and delicious.

Prosit und ZumWohl, MK

4.72/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I picked up this bottle at the Delirium Cafe a few days after Christmas. First time I have stumbled onto this treat. The beer poured a deep brown, almost black color, very dense. There was a nice tan head on this bad boy. The nose of this beer was malty and had a touch of citrus and maybe a little sweetness. The taste has a strong malt presence, some slight sweetness but also has a nice balancing affect with some bitterness. Although this is a pretty full bodied beer, it is a really smooth drinking beer. I liked this beer so much, I took a bottle home with me.

4.5/5  rDev +4.7%

I picked this up at Utobeer in Borough Market in London. Poured this .5 litre brown bottle into a .5 litre Spaten mug. Coded: 111007. The body was a clear clover honey/amber color. The two fingers of khaki, coarse bubbles faded moderately slow.

Smell was rich caramel. Sugary. Lightly bready. Nutty. Faint cherries and raisin bread.

Taste was spicy, roasted bitterness up front. Dates. A sort of liquid sweet-roll, but countered with enough hops to prevent it from being overwhelming. Truly like a dessert to me. Extremely drinkable.

Mouthfeel was medium in body with a zippy bite of carbonation. This is a very well constructed beer (like the world doesn't know that already). Cheers.

4.2/5  rDev -2.3%

Wow, first beer to review with the new system. Also, first beer reviewed from Germany on a German kezboard, with the z and y switched, so here goes...

Appearance: lighter in color than I was expecting, more orange or garnet than deep and dark. Big off white head with good retention, but leaving little lacing.

Smell: dark fruits, toast, brown sugar... surprised by all the fruit, in a lager. no hint of smoke, which i love in ayinger's celebrator.

Taste: raisin, brown bread, bit of roast & toast, brown sugar. malt is the star, but there is enough hops bitterness to balance. never becomes cloying.

Mouthfeel: medium body, bordering on full. reasonable carbonation.

Drinkabilitz: I now have a second favorite Doppelbock. Glad to be in Bavaria at the moment, and looking forward to a brewery tour in a couple of days. Hopefully the beer there will be as good as this Andechs offering..

4.47/5  rDev +4%

Poured brilliant copper/ruby, and impeccably clear with a tan reasonably-well-maintained head. Loads of malt in the aroma, with a touch of caramel and hints of chocolate and fruit.

Sweet and malty flavours dominate, with pruney fruit and a tartness that balances the sweetness. Over time a slight molasses bitterness builds, along with a smooth alcoholic warmth and hints of cherries. It's slowly revealing itself as I get through the pint -- magic!

Smooth and rich without being heavy, this is unbelievably easy to drink.

4.38/5  rDev +1.9%

One of the Germany's remaining monastic brewers.
Appearence : Dark bock (ruby)
Smell : Bread, dates and malts (Munich and pale lager) aroma
Taste : Sweet taste with toffee, fruit and ginger
Mouthfeel : Bitterrish finish with toffee, caramel, raisin and ginger
Drinkability : A very nice doppelbock

Thierry (14/10/2007)

4.47/5  rDev +4%

Deep rich aromas of dark fruits like plums and raisins start out and give way to a cakey, bready, fruitcake smell. Some brown sugar and slight maple syrup aroma as well.

Taste is overwhelmingly complex. Fruitcake, brown sugar, cookies mixed with dark fruits and gigs.

Nice carbonation and a crisp finish at the end which was surprising for such a rich, malty beer.

This one was hard to track down but I think I would look long and hard again for another glass of this delightful brew.

4.25/5  rDev -1.2%

Thick, creamy, tan colored head sits silently on top of the hazy mahogany colored beer. Smells of chocolate and sweet malt with undertones dark bread. Sweet roasted and caramel malts mix with a fist full of raisins. Finishes with a mild dark malt astringency that never quite overpowers the firm sweetness of the brew. Good lord the aftertaste lingers. There is almost more flavor left on my tongue then I could detect in the liquid I drank. No complaints, just unique. The alcohol is barely noticeable, especially if the beer is not too cold. A solid beer with a full mouthfeel and some nice flavors.

4.28/5  rDev -0.5%

This brew is a prime example of a doppel bock. As far as appearances go this produces a beautiful two finger inch light khaki colored head, that dwindles to decent lacing, lasting all the way through.

Aromas were a little weak. I could barely detect anything but slight carmalized sugars and sweet bread.

The taste is really robust, though. I detect carmalized sugars along with the doughy sweetbreads.

This is warming to the palate and will serve good as a winter treat.

4.15/5  rDev -3.5%

I found this at the Delirium Café and I’m glad I had it when I was there because it was impossible to find in either Koln or Dusseldorf when I was there, despite its availability being listed on the Andechs website.

This has a dark brown/reddish body with only a little head. There is a huge malty aroma with caramel notes that pours from the glass. The taste matches the aroma with big sweet malty flavors with caramel and some accompanying bitterness that builds at the end. As it warms up, the caramel presence increases until it is nearly the primary flavor. This is only medium bodied with good drinkability. It is a good beer but I did expect slightly better because of the reputation.

4.18/5  rDev -2.8%

500ml bottle bought from beersofeurope.com...

Poured a deep russet brown colour with some coppery hints. Dirty mocha head poured quite small and fizzy then faded almost immediately to light ring around the edge. Quite a lot of carbonation drifts to the surface... no real lacing...

Aroma - Deep rich spicy dark fruits (raisins, prunes, some strawberries, pears), toasted bready malts, toasted fruit cake, brown lemonade hints, some creosote traces, brown sugar sweetness, light medicinal / herbal notes, some leatheriness, slight vinegar notes, no real hops..

Taste – Pretty strong toasted bready malts, deep treacle sweetness, toasted nuttiness, spicy dark fruits (raisins, figs and dates), malt loaf / fruit cake, the faintest of smokiness, light peppery notes, some woodiness...

Feel - More carbonation than i expected - i would have preferred this to be more smooth and creamy... medium bodied... pretty drinkable for a 7.1% beer...

Overall - A pretty good Doppelbock but not the best in my opinion.. the Weltenburger Asam-Bock is easily better than this... definitely worth a try though...

4.08/5  rDev -5.1%

Had on tap at the Klosterbrauerei Andechs, served in a 0.5L glass in the bier garten. The beer was dark auburn, kind of a burgandy shade of brown with a tan head. The liquid was clear, possibly it was aged to perfection by the monks.

The smell strongly reminded me of the wort from my home-brewing excursions, a very nice and strong malty aroma. The flavor was sweet and malty, a bit of fresh baked bread, and a tad bitter in the aftertaste. Mouthfeel is great, a really big thick presence. For drinkability I'm going to knock off a full point, in that you can tell there's a buzz hitting you and the threat of impending drunken stupor stops your hand from reaching for the glass too often.

Overall, not as outstanding as I'd hoped but a very good beer nonetheless.

Bottle courtesy of Plucier: Poured a deep brown color doppelbock with a medium foamy head with good retention and some lacing. Aroma of banana bread with some light ester is quite interesting and enjoyable. Taste of banana bread and light ester is interesting and the creamy texture provides an even higher level of enjoyment. I have to admit that my expectations were quite high and I was glad to have been able to secure a bottle but I still believe this a notch below the Ayinger. The bottle had a BB date of 07/2007 which probably didn’t help as I would think fresh bottle of this stuff would be better – hopefully I will have the chance to try this one gain in the near future.

4.4/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

The Andechser Doppelbock is the top rated Doppelbock on BeerAdvocate.com; it was the first
Dopppelbock I tried and it was at Brauhaus with Paul. This Doppelbock pours out dark brown
with a nice foamy head. It smells a little malty and when I tasted it, it was unexpectedly
Belgian. Paul who was with me had a taste and felt that it tasted like a Belgian trappist
which he felt to be strong, rich and fruity. Yes the Andech Doppelbock had a fruity taste
to it; the maltiness is present but not as pronounced as I would expect albeit the fact that
this is my first Doppelbock. The mouth feel was slightly thicker than medium bodied which
is good; the after taste was more fruity than malty. For a seemingly thick and dark beer
going mildly strong at 7.1 ABV this Doppelbock is really drinkable and actually it was
quite a pleasure to drink it. My only issue is again the lack of malt and the strange
ressemblance to Belgian fruity dark ales. I would like a Doppelbock to be really majorly
malty but then again this is my first Doppelbock and I liked it anyway, regardless of the
style's specificities. I have another Doppelbock in my fridge to benchmark this with; that
is none other than Paulaner's Salvator which I am pretty curious about and I would probably
be trying it pretty soon.

Photo of
4.45/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

17oz. bottle.

Dark copper in color. Crystal clear. Large, creamy, light brown head.

Aroma is very rich and bread-like. Coffee and caramel, which get bigger as the beer warms. Very sweet after 15 minutes or so. Touch of herbal flavor. Fruits - raisins.

Taste follows aroma in that it is fairly sweet to start, but moves even more in that direction as it warms. Coffee, very mild. Herbal notes, also mild. Sweet caramel. Raisins. ABV noticeable, mainly at the finish.

Medium body, lighter than I expected. Low to medium carbonation. Very sweet.

Faithful to style, and quite drinkable. Not a session beer, but you could put a few of these away before the ABV got to you. An excellent beer.

4.45/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A nice example of a Doppelbock:

The beer is a nice mahogany in color with some distinct reddish overtones. The head is relatively small for a dark bier but has a slight creaminess to it. The aroma smeels nicely of grain, both fresh and toasted. The taste is very malty, with again, a lot of fresh and toasted grain flavors. These balance nicely with the sweetness. This was my bier of choice at the Kloster in Andechs.

4.15/5  rDev -3.5%

Premise: this is not my favorite style, and do not drink many of these.
So...poured a dark mahogany/amber color, slick looking. Head formed to about 2 fingers at first, then settled to a slight 1/2 finger. Nice presentation.
slight sweet caramel, milkweed (?), some toffee and malt gather in the aroma.
Taste: smooth mix of sweet malt, toffee, caramel, some glazed donut and slight hops..slight.
Feels real nice, smooth, no lingering sweet aftertaste which is the reason I don't like most beers in this style (that I've had)
Drank fine, gone without really knowing I drank it. Hmmff.

4.5/5  rDev +4.7%

Bought this in February during a trip to Germany. Poured out a cola brown, dark but see through, with a creamy tan head. The nose is fruity, malt, ruity pebbles, cotton candy, vienna malt, a nice toasty roasty aroma. The taste is big, huge, tremendous, then drops off to a clean crisp palate. Along the way it drops malt and dark fruit bombs, fresh grain taste, green grain, roasted lovelyness. Has a fantastic crisp mouthfeel, the effervescents lasts on a now prickly tongue, but not too sharp. I love when such a big beer is this incredibly drinkable. A rare quality, definitly appreciated here.

4.38/5  rDev +1.9%

Poured from a .5l bottle into a 20oz imperial pint. Thanks to Iain for the hook up!

A: Pours a clear, deep, dark brown with hints of garnet-red. Creamy, pillowy, one finger head that disappears quickly leaving no lace.

S: Chocolate and toasted bread dominate the nose. Also detected were hints of caramel and tangy fruit (like green apples).

T: The taste pretty much follows the nose with the addition of an incredible yeasty spiciness. The malt flavors alternate between dry and toasted and sweet and caramely.

M: Smooth velvet and prickly spiciness is what's going on here. This starts off quite actively carbonated and then dies off.

D: Incredible! This beer has forced me to reconsider my self imposed aversion to malty beers. This is so different (to me) it boggles the mind.

4.47/5  rDev +4%

thanks for the bottle, jizzslurper.

clear ruby pour with some pumpkin orange in the thinner parts, an active amount of carbonation that brings the beer to life. cloudy, resilient thin foam greets me with each arrival of the glass to my face.

smells very traditional in terms of dopplebock. big caramel and carob blast up front, with sweetened cherry puree and plum jam bringing up the second wave of sweetness. caramelized malt burn that reminds me of a hot bagel oven and the slightest hints of glazed carrot and black peppercorns.

clean and crisp. hell yeah goats, this tastes great! for such a complex beer, it doesn't linger in thickness or bust the palate for future sips. initially, i get alot of creme brulee-topper burnt sugar, as well as overripe dates. a big beer like this with the traditional neatness of a lager is a true achievement, and now i know where all of the hype over this beer last year came from. glad i had the opportunity to drink it.

and for a 7+%er, this is easy drinking. way too easy, in fact. i highly recommend this dopple to anyone who has the means to acquire it.

4.25/5  rDev -1.2%

Pours a thick pillowy head that falls very quickly and leaves barely any lacing behind. The color is deep dark brown, but still you can see through it. The smell is of slightly chocolate malts with some roastiness, also a lot of breadiness. The taste is very bready with some chocolately tones and some sweetness in there as well. I enjoyed this one. Mouthfeel is very good. Overall this is avery drinkable brew and I hope to have it again someday.

Andechser Doppelbock Dunkel from Klosterbrauerei Andechs