Join our email list →

Klosterbrauerei Andechs
Germany | website

Doppelbock | 7.10% ABV

Beer added by: Bierman9 on 06-16-2002

This world famous bock from Bavaria’s Holy Mountain is not meant to be rushed, but savoured slowly. As solid as a rock, Andechser Doppelbock Dunkel presides over the evening meal with a colour reminiscent of dark copper with nuances of fiery red. Its clear gleaming look harmonises with its firm, fine pored head.

Also the aroma delights the connoisseur: soft roasted accents and a nuance of dried fruit carrying a vein of caramel. This Doppelbock Dunkel from Bavaria’s Holy Mountain presents a pleasant effervescence. And then there’s the unmistakable flavour: mouthcoating and velvety, strong and yet pleasantly malty – a powerful, robust body. At the same time, it develops an easily recognisable sweetness, embraced in roasted cocoa and a light, bitter hoppiness.

Concluding with a powerful punch, this Doppelbock departs with a lingering aftertaste of quality plain chocolate. A strong Doppelbock that embodies the centuries old Benedictine brewing tradition, sip by delicious sip.
4.63/5  rDev +7.4%

On tap at the Munich pub.

I'm going from notes taken last summer. I loved a previous bottled version of this I had and highly anticipated this visit.

Deep chestnut color. A dazzling array of cedar, dark brown and a deep tan head. Perfect lacing as consumed.

The nose is quite good, but I was expecting a blast based on my memory of how much I like this beer. Was it to be? Yes, a rich vineous style of chocolate, german malt, noble hops.

Smooth and rich entry. Dances on the tongue, provides a near perfect balance of sweet maltiness and hop bittering. A hint of hop flavor behind the caramel and chocolate with hint of roast malt. Everything I remembered and more. So fresh, so inviting. I enjoyed this beer for 20 minutes while enjoying the atmosphere...warm evening, cafe doors opened to the evening sky.

One of the best of examples of the brewers art I have found.

4.25/5  rDev -1.4%

I was at the monastery 3 years ago & thought their doppelbock was a little boozy fresh from the tap. So I picked up a bottle & it's been in my fridge since! (Best before 28 08 06)

A: Deep reddish-brown with a light tan head; ring of retention, some lacing.

S: Dark fruit & bread, dark caramel, light spicing, slightly herbal with hints of alcohol.

T: Plenty of dark fruit, bready, dark (almost burnt) caramel, roasted nuts, peppery spicing, herbal, slight steelie grassiness, hints of chocolate, balanced bitterness, slight alcohol warmth.

M: Fairly full body is smooth with an off-dry finish.

D: Quite drinkable.

4.7/5  rDev +9%

Pours a deep ruby-red/mahogany color. Nice light tan, creamy head, pretty good retention. Nose is somewhat fruity and tart, with a little bit of roast.

Flavor is fantastic. I've had this beer several times now, including on tap, and it's absolutely delicious out of the bottle as well. This doppelbock has an amazing chocolately flavor, with a great roasty aftertaste. There's a lot of meat on the bone here. Dark fruit, roast, coffee, chocolate, and maple syrup sum this one up for me. And unlike the Celebrator, it's not too sweet. Medium-heavy, chewy mouthfeel coats the tongue in luscious, buttery layers. Low carbonation, which I love. Alcohol is not really apparent, although it's seven percent.

A malt bomb of the highest order, Andechser Doppelbock is in a league of it's own. Prost!

4.6/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

A- Clear, brown with an amber tint. Fluffy, off-white head about an inch high which slowly settles to a lasting film.

S- Smell is not very intense. A medium-low sweetness from dark fruits, yeasty bread, and some roasted coffee. A slight note of citrus as well.

T- Follows the nose, but not as reigned in. Sweetness of dark fruit and roasted malt. There is only a slight hoppy bitterness. Slight note of alcohol on the finish makes it cut out nicely. Very well balanced.

M- Nice medium creaminess that is balanced perfectly with the carbonation.

D- Extremely drinkable for a doppelbock.

Overall, this beer is worthy of all of the praise it's received. A must try!

4.78/5  rDev +10.9%

My german wife and her sister had a special surprise for my birthday this year: a bottle of this fantastic Doppelbock and even a glass mug with its name on.

I used to drink this beer while visiting my then-fiance in Germany, but I did not have any of this beer for pretty exactly 5 years.

I poured it into the new mug, and it looked amazing, like black coffee with a beige head. Against the light it had a red shine.

The foam disappeared qickly.

The aroma is undescribable. Karamel is my first thought. Thick, sweet, but not sticky.
Very complex, a bit nutty.

The alcohol is with around 7% not that high for a Doppelbock, but it was very prominent in the taste.

During the last 5 years when I knew I could not get this beer, I was searching for something like this. I have tried quite a lot Bocks and Doppelbocks and other brews, and the closest similar kind is (in my opinion) the Ettaler Curator. And I am happy that I can buy that here in PA.

The Andechser Doppelbock Dunkel is the best beer I have ever tasted in my life, and it is such a shame that it cannot be sold in the US.

And to think that my wife's sister can get it in a regular supermarket for the equivalent of around 2$... Two dollars!... I want to cry...

Served from a bottle.

Poured a dark reddish brown color with a smaller sized off white head. Aromas of caramel, dark fruits, roasted nuts, and all around malty. Tastes of caramel, toasted nuts, dark fruits, and some chocolate.

Notes from 12/17/07.

4.45/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

500mL bottle. Pours a clear chestnut color, capped with a fairly large khaki head. Enticing aroma; roasted malt, grain and hay take the forefront, and are nicely complimented by dark chocolate, molasses, and mild hops. Grain and roasted malt are the dominant flavors, with alcohol, chocolate cake, and dark fruits rounding things out and adding complexity. Fairly long finish, with chocolate and malt lingering on the palate. Very drinkable. The best doppelbock I've ever tasted. World Class.

4.56/5  rDev +5.8%

It looks like a sun-seeped pot of coffee. There is a healthy showing of carbonation and a virile head. The smell is low-key sweetness and slightly burnt grains.

The taste has a candyish sweetness, herbal hop presence, and the feel of green pastoral fields.

The mouthfeel is carbonated voracity followed by malty sweetness.

Despite the strength, this is a profoundly drinkable Bock. The more the mouth experiences, the more that is appreciated. It is a master of subtlety.

UPDATE: I had a few more bottles tonight, and I have to say it's just a damned great beer. I just can't believe the ABV, given the mouthfeel. A lovely damned beer. Tops in the dopplebock category, particularly because of it's prevalance in Germany and ubiquitous distribution. (I bought this round in a gas station.) I can't believe such a brilliant beer is so readily available.

4.75/5  rDev +10.2%

Appearance: Dark brown in color, brilliantly bright and clear when held to the light, with three fingers of thick tan head that lasts and lasts.

Smell: Toasted grain, chocolate and roasted nuts - not especially sweet however. There's a touch of fruit beneath it all, berries and figs coming to mind.

Taste & mouthfeel: Chocolatey and toasted with a light fruity sweetness, hints of graham cracker and roasted fig. Bitterness is pretty reigned in, there's not a ton of hop character beyond the mild bitterness in the finish and an herbal undercurrent. There's a mild sweetness to begin with, but this is profoundly dry and crisp in the finish, making for an unreasonably drinkable 7% beer.

Had a liter of this on tap at the pub in Munich and was yearning for more as I left, simply a phenomenal beer. I'm inclined to say that this beer has to be tried on tap to fully grasp how good it is, as the fresh bottle I tried earlier in the year simply did not compare.

Many thanks go out to Bierman9 for blessing me with such a wonderful treat.

Bottle poured into a large Pilsener Glass brought forth a large of white head that lasted a while .The body of this brew was crystal clear and dark brown with some ruby highlights in color. This thing is pretty it looks better than a touched up print add.

This is a nice light aroma, not what I expected from a dark brew. Very subtle bread and sweetness with an almost undetectable roasted malts note in the end.

This is what a doppelbock should be, yes I have found the standard bearer. This is sweet and malty but at the same time earthy so as to keep the sweetness in check. I can't find any alcohol present in the flavors. Smooth, creamy and rich comes to mind when trying to describe what I feel in my mouth

I am already sad seeing this on drain from my glass, if I make it to Germany this will be my beer of choice
I just have to end this review with,
Prosit!

4.49/5  rDev +4.2%

My special thanks go out to William (WJVII) and Marla Vogel. On there vacation to Europe in May of 2008 they purchased this brew for me. They carted it half way around the world from Germany to Stevens Point, Wisconsin. All for me to have this special moment. Again, thank you.

A - A very tall, dark tan, foamy, and quickly rising head. The body is a dark brown with amber and purple tints as the light passed through.

S - The scents of chocolate, smoked meats, malt and cherry all wrapped up in one. The only hindrance is the weakness.

T - The flavors begin mild and move toward bold as the taste progresses. There are strong malt flavors that consist of caramel, subtle spices and pungent fruits. While the alcohol taste is present it by no means controls the brew.

M - The feel is actually a bit coarse considering how smooth the flavors flow. There is an after-feeling in the back of my throat that's obvious. The texture is strange in that it touches the front of my tongue very softly but after the brew is down there is a coarseness left behind. I actually think it assists in prolonging the flavor. Upon my first sip I was not please but as I've moved on I am actually really enjoying this unique characteristic.

~ I must admit this is one of the finest, if not THE finest, doppelbock I've ever had. I will look again for this brew and hope to someday enjoy one on German soil with my good friends, Bill and Marla. Did I say thank you?

4.56/5  rDev +5.8%

Had the chance to acquire a decent amount of a fresh batch of this recently. Thrilled to finally be able to put this one under my belt, I wasted no time at all with getting one chilled down to enjoy. Served out of the fridge and poured into a twenty ounce pint glass, this one was consumed on 10/22/2008.

The look was absolutely perfect, and I really mean that. For the style, it gets no better then this one, hands down. Rich dark brown in color and completely opaque, save for a few touches of light peaking through on the sides and bottom, giving it a slightly reddish tone around the edges. Some nice, light carbonation came trickling up from the bottom of the glass, converging into a rich three inch head of off white foam that took what seemed like forever to finally settled down. Rich side glass lacing then followed this and I mean I cannot stress enough how good this one looked.

The aroma was a touch lighter then I would have expected, but still absolutely great. Rich notes of caramel and toffee just ruled the day here. Some light notes of bready malts and a touch of earthy hops in the back, with the tiniest hint of a spicy alcohol, but so mellow it was barely noticeable. Then I took a taste. This had to be the smoothest, creamiest, bock I have ever encountered. Hands down just ridiculously good. Super sweet with nice notes of caramel, toffee and rich bready malts all over this. So subtle in its profile, so rich in its complexity, it was seriously hard to match this in terms of anything I have had in the style before. Super smooth carbonation and a body that bordered on the full line, as it was so filling and creamy that I nearly melted into my chair. Rich, and very sweet aftertaste then moved me right back to where I started leaving that toffee like flavor laying across my tongue for the rest of the evening.

In the end, I was utterly blown away by this one. One of the best beers I have ever had, period. It was just so smooth it almost defined logic. I could not simply imagine having something this good, and here I was enjoying it. This one needs to be tried by everyone, it defined the style for me. What a happy night.

4.31/5  rDev 0%

Had the opportunity to try this following a trade with RedHaze. Thanks, man!

A: A deep, bronze with some soft, reddish highlights. A great coloured bock - a light sandy, creamy head. A great lacing all the way down the glass in cascading layers. Perhaps the most perfect looking pour I've seen.

S: Soft, toffee sweetness blended in with a toasty malt scent - whole grain bread, and slightly cake-like. A little vegetal - almost like green bean.

T + M + D: A nice, rich body with almost a creamy butteriness to the feel. This complements the warm malts very nicely. A bit of a butter-icing flavour. A sparkling carbonation adds a nice touch to the already great feel. A delicious doppelbock, and perhaps one of my favourites to date. The warming of alcohol comes out a little bit towards the end of the bottle, but keeps fairly well hidden for the most half. Makes for quite easy drinking, with a little kick on the way out.

4.5/5  rDev +4.4%

150 reviews as of this writing. Thanks to redhaze for the chance to try this gem. I've had a number of US interpretations of this style and enjoyed them. This.... This beer set's the standard for me and is one I'd be happy to enjoy again except for the whole getting access to it. If you like your dopplebock malty, crisp and oh so easy to quaff try this one. If you get the chance definitely go for it!

4.02/5  rDev -6.7%

Pours dark amber with a small butter cream colored head that quickly recedes to a ring. Aroma is of caramel, brown sugar, some very nice toastiness that mixes well with the sweet maltiness, crackers and bread, and a bit of graininess. Taste follows with some sweet maltiness up front, golden raisin sweetness, fruit and berries, caramel, a great molasses quality, toasty grains lead to a nice crisp hop quality in the finish. Mouthfeel is medium in body, carbonation is on the low side which allows the malty sweetness to weigh slightly on the palate before a small peppery crispness works to balance it out towards the finish. Very enjoyeable and highly drinkable beer.

4.62/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Got this one in a trade with RedHaze. Thanks!
Clear reddish brown with a garnet, purplish hue when held up to the light. A one finger cap of dense, off-white foam appeared after the pour, settling to a skim of fine bubbles and solid collar after a few minutes. Sticky, spotty lacing. Tons of malt character in the aroma, very cakey and bready, rich with notes of toast and biscuit. It had some fruit character as well, mild dried fruits like raisins and figs. Flashes of dry cocoa and darker malts, plus a bit of smoke, appeared as it warmed too. There was a solid bitterness lying beneath the malt flavour, never too far forward yet providing the necessary balance. Light citrus mid-palate hung around through the finish. Alcohol was present from the start, but stayed light and balanced throughout. Malt sweetness played the dominant role, but the caramelized sugar and bread flavours weren't let run wild. Notes of cake and toffee, perhaps a bit of biscuit, floated in and out of focus, along with some dried fruit sweetness and a hint of yeast. The finish wasn't overlong, but a balanced combination of flavours lingered for a while on the palate. Medium bodied with medium/low, well integrated carbonation. Texture was a bit creamy and chewy. This stuff is superb. I was expecting a lot of malt, but was pleasantly surprised by the complexity of flavours present. That quality made this a pleasure to drink, and very easy to polish off a bottle.

4.67/5  rDev +8.4%

What a bier!!! I got a nice size liter of this straight from the tap at Kloster Andechs. I never did find Carl Orf but I did manage to find the biergarten.

Appearance was dark brown...slightly ruby. Nice head retention as the foam slowly subsided.

Smell...a nice blend of matls, noble hops and alcohol.

Taste was obviously very complex...spicey, matly, herby ...caramel..nutty...what else is there???

Mouthfeel was very nice, very full and complex, a sensational balance of spices, malts, hops and alcohol.

This is truly a beer that has been perfected over the ages, and by ages I mean centuries!

4.77/5  rDev +10.7%

Thanks to RedHaze for the chance to try this beer. Very generous in a trade, and I'd probably not have had the chance to try this otherwise. Pours a very dark brown with ruby highlights. The head is not bad, but nothing special, and it fades fairly quickly to a thin swirly head. Smells of dark pumpernickel bread, very dry malt, blackstrap molasses, and an earthy bitterness. Black bread in a glass. The taste is even richer and breadier, but with some wonderful dark bitterness laced throughout. More black bread, and an earthy, grainy bitterness, especially at the finish with dark chocolate bitterness. Up front there is ssome creamy sweetness to start things off. Very complex, chewy, and rich. What a wonderful beer! Creamy, rich, stiff, and bitter in turns as far as mouthfeel goes. I could drink this beer all day- its just that wonderful and perfectly balanced. By far the best dopplebock I've ever had, and much less sweet and fruity than most.

4.47/5  rDev +3.7%

Viggo was nice enough to share this one. thanks eric!

500ml bottle. best before 08 10 08. sampled sept 13/08.

pours a nice red-brown, garnet when held to the light, with a small dense off-white head. the head quickly drops to a ring around the glass and leaves a plenty of spotty lace.

aroma is excellent. rich caramel and toffee. loads of dark fruit - date, fig, bit of raisin. the caramel and fruit gives it sort of a candied fruit feel. hint of smoke. bit of biscuit. multi-grain bread. touch of alcohol, but it is mostly hidden.

taste is great. toasted multi-grain bread. caramel and toffee again. still lots of dark fruit too - date, fig, dried craberry, bit of raisin. bit of biscuit. a little more alcohol than in the aroma, but mostly only noticeable as a gentle spreading warmth on the way down. fairly low bitterness level, yet a touch more than i expected. there's a bit of yeasty character too - slightly unexpected considering the clarity.

mouthfeel is good. medium body. medium-low very fine carbonation.

drinkability is great. excellent balance. love all the fruit and caramel. a real treat. thanks again eric!

4.42/5  rDev +2.6%

Big thanks to RedHaze for hooking me up with this one, I've been trying to get for a while.

Pours a clear dark reddish orange, light brown, thick off white head forms, quickly settles to a medium ring, some lace spots on the glass. Smell is glorious, very bready, yeast, biscuit, caramel, bit of iron, dark fruits, bit of orangey citrus, rich and delicious smelling. Taste is great, brown sugar sweetness, citrus, light floral, then caramel, lots of dark fruit and iron, raisins, maybe a touch of chocolate roastiness, very dry biscuity finish, light bit of spice, very enjoyable. Mouthfeel is light to medium bodied with low carbonation, bit of warmth but very smooth. Definition of liquid bread, fantastic doppelbock.

4.35/5  rDev +0.9%

Many thanks to Eric for this rarity.

Appearance: It pours a dark copper/bronze color with some ruby highlights around the edges. The head is caramel colored and is about two fingers deep. Retention was very good, though lacing was on the light side.

Smell: Dark fruit aromas kick it off. It's a blend of raisin, plum, and prune. It smells a little sweet. Malts are very prominent on the nose. Smells like the roasted variety with a bit of caramel blended in. Hops are more apparent than I would've ever guessed. Very nice surprise. They have a bit of an earthy character to them. It's a nice smelling beer, but not quite as deep as I expected.

Taste: The nose is actually a nice representation of the flavor. But, the flavor is more impressive. Raisin, prune, and plum are strong with a little residual bitterness. Roasted and character malts provide a solid base and some sweetness. It's really a light, sweet flavor though. It is a little hoppy, but it's an earthy hop flavor. I wouldn't characterize it as bitter. Surprisingly, this has a really well-balanced flavor. I was expecting very malty and sweet, but it's balanced nicely. No alcohol is noted.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability: It features a nice medium body and is very smooth and silky. Carbonation is spot on for this one. It's dialed down a little and it goes down really, really easy. Drinkability is likewise very high. I'm not the biggest fan of Doppelbocks, but this is among the finest.

I'll go ahead and 'fess up on this one...I wasn't expecting to be this impressed. I'm really not a huge Doppelbock guy. This had "overrated" written all over it for me. But, it delivers. It's not perfect, but it is no doubt damn good. It's simply a "must try" for all BAs. Thanks again, Eric.

4.7/5  rDev +9%

This is the beer by which I will now measure all German brews, and all lagers from anywhere.

Pours a sparkling, champagne-y caramel brown. About an inch of off white foam that hangs around for a while. Smell is bready and yeasty, with a hint of fruit notes.

The taste is superb. Yeast, roasted brandy, dark fruits, raisins? plums?, figs? ... just a great explosive complexity. I would buy this every week if it was available. Creamy, densely textured mouthfeel.

Thanks to brdc for the trade. Just phenomenal.

BB 01/04/09, served chilled in a pint-size weizen glass

A: an elegant reddish brown hue comes with a thick and frothy beige-hued head slowly building up with good retention; the carbonation is fine and constant, adding to the elegant appearance.
S: a de...eply sweet caramely and fruity aroma upfront consists of preserved longan-fruits, fat raisins, fat juicy red prunes, dried red-dates, licorice syrup... buttressed by a thick bedrock of caramely and lightly chocolatey malts, melted crystal sugar, while constantly an understated sour tinge true to any decent German lager lurks in the background along with a clean herbal touch of hops. Overall it's almost like a chilled longan-fruit tea with a pinch of brown sugar too much (if you've tried Chinese longan-fruit tea or juice, you'd immediately understand this), but the thick malt sweetness also gets a loyal support from the sour edge of fruits. Integrated and complex.
T: creamy-textured caramel maltiness expands on the tongue, followed by a deeper flavour of exotic black sugar (not "brown" sugar, but the one used in many oriental [read Japanese/Taiwanese] desserts), mild toffee and dark chocolates, preserved black plums, raisins, longan-fruits, and a slightly spicy undertone of hops... all complementing the consistently malty theme that gets a wee bit of gristy-grainy flavour. The finish sees a slightly tannic and bitter palate of hops accompanies the residual sweet dark-fruits and lovely herbal bitter-sweetness of malts, leaving very little undesirable sticky mouthfeel.
M&D: silky smooth and soft on the mouthfeel vis-à-vis a full body and rich flavour profile, while the texture gets slightly "oily" as the beer warms up. Although the sweet fruitiness and caramely characters come a bit overpowering at first, they are quickly balanced off by the complex maltiness in the mid-taste and further softened by the lingering hop bitter-sweetness and a burned undertone in the very end. This second bottle proves more pleasant than my first encounter with this beer three years ago; or, should I say, my palate is better trained now that I can finally appreciate the goodness of such a beautiful nectar?!

4.33/5  rDev +0.5%

500mL bottle courtesy of brdc poured into a snifter. Big, big thanks Daniel!

A: Pours dark, dark brown with a big fluffy tan head that recedes to a cap leaving big clumps of lacing. The beers has a nice hazy amber tint when held up to the light.

S: Smell is headlined by a big caramel malt background with some brown sugar, dark fruits and spices. There was also a hint of hops in the nose as well.

T: Very complex taste that starts with a dry, roasted caramel malt sweetness. There is a cola sweetness on the palate with some sugar and dark fruits. The hops and slight dry character keep the sweetness in check and maintain a great balance.

M: Mouthfeel is medium bodied with enough carbonation to leave the tastes dancing around on the palate between sips.

D: This is an extremely well-balanced and drinkable dobblebock. I'd probably put it a strong second among dobblebocks I've tasted. Highly recommended!

4.4/5  rDev +2.1%

Pours a dark red/brown colour with a nice, lasting white foamy head.

The smell is nice; dark bread, some spices, malty.

Taste is slightly better. Sweet, malty taste with some dark bread, notes of liqourice and spices. Slightly of warming alcohol in the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel was, according to me, outstanding. Very creamy, filling and "round".

Thanks to Bananaman (and his father of course, who brought this from Germany) for sharing this bottle!

Andechser Doppelbock Dunkel from Klosterbrauerei Andechs