Presidente - Cervecería Nacional Dominicana

Cervecería Nacional Dominicana visit their website
Dominican Republic

American Adjunct Lager |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: UncleJimbo on 05-24-2002

Lanzada al marcado en 1935, durante más de siete décadas Presidente ha estado unida a la forma particular de sentir y de ser de los dominicanos, asociando las ocasiones de consumo a grandes celebraciones entre amigos y desarrollando una verdadera cultura cervecera en nuestro país.

La exitosa presencia de Presidente en mercados internacionales, unida a su gran aceptación por parte de los turistas que nos visitan, contribuye a la proyección internacional de la calidad de los productos de la República Dominicana y de los recursos y atractivos del país y de su gente.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Presidente Alström Bros

After a Holiday in the Dominican I went on a mad 5 year search for this beer. When served as the natives do at home, with a pinch of sugar in a stout glass, this beer has become my absolute favorite. Strong head. No after taste. No Heavy Beer Drag but with a nice 5% pop It is no wonder that thou the Dominican is one of the poorest countries in the world the people all seem to have a smile on their face. I always have one when drinking Presidente ! (451 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +72.1%

Admittedly, I'm not all the surprised at the litany of fellow advocates that tore into this beer given the culture of the community; however, I did figure I'd see at least one positive review, especially since it's almost always out of stock at all the local Spec's, Gabriel's, etc., but not so. Anyway... screw it, i'm stickin' with it and you're about to see a fantastic one!

I love Presidente! I'd choose it over Dos Equis, Corona and just about any other mass produced Mexican or Dominican beer. I had it first at port on the island of Saint Maarten during a cruise vacation, so I thought maybe my intoxication affected my perceptions so I tried it again when I got home - still great! Very refreshing, crisp, clean and easy to drink: perfect for hot days and bbq's if you're looking to grab something cheap and in mass. (831 characters)

4.44/5  rDev +60.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

My sister brought a CAN of this back from her honeymoon for me. I was extremely surprised at how good this was! I suspect this beer would have much better ratings if everyone had tried it from a can instead of a green bottle.

Really a fantastic pilsener. Not too sweet and not too dry. I would honestly drink this often if I could. I bet it would taste perfect on the beach in Punta Cana. (389 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +60.1%

I was pleasently suprised by this beer. I had several while at a cigar tasting in Bethlehem, PA. Smoking fine Dominican Cigars accompanies by this surprisingly good Dominican Beer on a hot summer day was sure fun.

Pours pale straw with moderate head and lace. Clean smell with slight adjunct nose. Smooth malt sweetness with a hint of corn/veggie adjuncts used. Though definatly there, the adjuncts don't overpower like they do in beers like Bud and Coors. Slightly dry start, crisp and refreshing with strong carbonation. Sweetens as the beer warms.

I'd definately drink this over the more popular Corona for my taste of tropical beer. This is a much better beer. (670 characters)

4.26/5  rDev +54.3%

This is a light vienna style lager. Delicious maltiness despite being served very cold. The hop bitterness is a perfect balance for the malt, which is not overly sweet and finishes clean and dry, but not too dry.

I drank this beer two ways.
First, while on vacation in the Dominican Republic, I drank it all day long on tap. Served extremely fresh, this beer is excellent and appropriate for warm tropical weather. This is the beer they SHOULD be serving in the Corona commercials.
The second time I had this was several months later. I found 12-packs for sale at a large store in Boston (Allston?), across from the Sunset Bar & Grill. Upon trying a bottle it was evident that this beer must be served very young and fresh, and does not travel well. Unfortunately they only come in green bottles, and the result is as bad as any skunky import. (845 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +48.6%

Pours with an initially fluffy head, and the body is a light straw color. Smells of grainy, light malt, refreshing, and a little fruity.

The taste is mild, light colored malt, light hops, it is going very well with this pizza. Mouthfeel has a prickly, clean finish. This is the best beer of this style that I have ever had. Wish I could get it in Indy. (356 characters)

4.02/5  rDev +45.7%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pilsner glass. Also had straight from the bottle.

Appearance is clear amber/yellow, smell of corn and wheat, not much head with some lacing, average carbonation. Crisp and clean taste of corn and wheat... can be a bit skunky.

This is a tough beer for me to evaluate. When compared to all the great beers of the world this obviously isn't even as good as I have rated in numbers. In order to fully appreciate this beer, though, you have to understand the country, the culture, and the people of the Dominican Republic.

The DR is HOT! Very hot! All the time. The country is so poor that most natives bathe in the rain water that runs off their roofs. This is a country of barefoot kids, meals of rice, beans and chicken, and of course... baseball. Constant baseball.

Presidente is served "bien frio" (very cold) everywhere in the DR. It is almost always drank out of the bottle and it is the national beer and for most people the only beer.

When taking all of this into account, and having lived amongst these people, this beer is daggone good. Nothing tastes better than an ice-cold Presidente on a hot, steamy Dominican afternoon or night (yes, it's still hot and steamy at night). (1,221 characters)

3.93/5  rDev +42.4%

Poured from a 330 ML bottle into a pint glass. Not a lot of BA love for this brew. I find it to be a great session beer for the hot summer months. It is not a craft brew nor is it packing an overwhelming flavor. But, i do find it very enjoyable. (249 characters)

3.83/5  rDev +38.8%

Presidente has a thick, white head and a very clear golden appearance, with frothy lacing down the glass. Carbonation is relatively high. Aroma is slightly skunky at first, but this is quickly replaced with a standard beer smell. Taste is a nice balance of grains and hops, with a corn back flavor. Mouth-feel is light and watery, and Presidente finishes crisp, satisfying, and slightly dry. Overall, I liked this beer and would certainly have it again.

RJT (458 characters)

3.83/5  rDev +38.8%

First and foremost, it has to be judged among its peers: lame adjunct lagers. Presidente is better than them, while keeping the clean, very mild, easy drinking character. I drank a dozen types of light lagers while visiting a couple areas of the Carribbean, and Presidente is the best.

The aroma is fine, maybe a touch of DMS, but as good as any of its peers.

The best qualities of this beer is the flavor: a fine flavor with peppery bitterness. Not very hoppy, in fact I wouldn't be surprised to hear that they use seeds of paradise or some other bittering agent, because the tiny amount of bitterness lingers, without hop flavor, like a mild hot pepper.

Viva El Presidente. (684 characters)

3.8/5  rDev +37.7%

It's too bad this beer is getting a bad rap. I think nickeyx said it best; "It was understood that we weren't going for something to blow us away. It's a great cold beer when it's hot outside. It does taste better in the DR than it does here. Nothing hit the spot like an ice cold Presidente."

I also experienced this beer on a trip to the Dominican Republic, and while I've never had it in the States, I'd assume it's at least a little better here that it would be at home. When it's 95 degrees, laying under the sun, or with a delicious fresh moonlit dinner on the beach, or just exploring all the DR has to offer (it's a beautiful country - I highly recommend a visit, just brush up on your Spanish first), there's nothing better than a nice cold Presidente to cool you down. It's available everywhere here, it's cheap (70 pesos/bottle in our little hotel bar (about $2 USD) and even cheaper from various street vendors.

This beer is light golden in color with a decent head that sticks around for a while. Smells of crisp wheat, light hops and with a hint of fruityness about it. Taste is light and crisp - wheat, more wheat, sweet maltiness and a bit of apple juice on the finish. It has good carbonation. It's nothing super outstanding, but it is quite pleasant, and definitely a welcome refreshment in the heat of the Dominican spring. It's very drinkable, especially out under the sun - light enough so it won't fill you up, and no cloying astringency or over-powerful aftertaste to get annoying.

All in all, I was pleasantly surprised by this beer. (1,560 characters)

3.79/5  rDev +37.3%

I know it is not fashionable to give a beer like Presidente a good review, but I think it is a pretty good beer and would prefer it over some other more highly rated beers under plenty of circumstances. On a hot day for example, I would much rather have this than some syruppy doppelbock or even many IPAs can be too sweet and sticky at times. This is the bud of the Dominican Republic and again another example of their bud being better than our bud.

Pours a clear straw color with a nice, quickly disappearing head.-not much lace but excellent continual carbonation which is seen in a lot of mass produced beers-so it doesnt mean much but it is appealing still.

Smell is herbal and skunky and slightly muddy--certainly a lot more pronounced than the pale ale I had earler whose aroma was really tough to get. Seems to be more of a bavarian or czech style rather than american.

Taste is malty and a nice clean dry hoppy finish. Tastes like it is lower than the 6% abv indicated in the description. Extremely drinkable. (1,028 characters)

3.76/5  rDev +36.2%

I see a lot of people knock this beer because it's not sophisticated or it doesn't use a bunch of malts. That's not the point of Presidente. The purpose of this beer is to enjoy while laying on a beach in the Caribbean while working on your tan and watching topless women stroll by. If you are drinking this you are most likely not worried about work or household projects. It's a beer to enjoy while enjoying life. I drank plenty of it while on my honeymoon in the DR. On-tap tastes better than bottled.

It's a nice golden color producing a bunch of foamy white head. It smells a bit of wheat with a trace of corn. It goes down easily enough and leaves you wanting more. This was the only beer available at the all-inclusive resort I stayed at. I grew fond of it, not out of necessity, but because it's enjoyable. I'd take this over any American macro pilsner. (862 characters)

3.73/5  rDev +35.1%

Poured from green bottle into a pint glass.

Pours clear golden color with 1/4 inch of white foam. Inside looks fizzy - active bubbles. Pils-y smell, real german pils taste, more so than typical flat lager taste. Its crisp with lemon 1/2way through to close citrus. Forceful carbonation. Easy drinker but surprising amount of flavor.

Gets pretty bad ratings here, but compared to other AALs I've had, I was more bullish. (421 characters)

3.66/5  rDev +32.6%

Poured from a bottle into my 2008 Phillies World Championship pint glass. Tried this once while staying in Miami and me and the wife swore we would never touch it again!!

A - deep golden, big fluffy white head. Sticky lacing that lasted the whole session

S - typical mistreated bottle skunky German style pilsner smell.

T - Nice pilsner "flavor", some corn, grainy, yet decent. Some hop (saaz?) presence. Not bad. Not bad at all.

M - Crisp, light mouthfeel. Appropriately carbonated and bubbly with a bite.

D - easy drinking, never see the 6% coming.

Thanks to Joe Yo for this one, my kind is changed!

Reviewed on: 08-30-2009 01:45:49
Flag as Inappropriate | id: 985847 (684 characters)

3.64/5  rDev +31.9%

Presidente is a great "south-of-the-border" beer. I know most people on this site would say that it takes too much like a macro, but it doesn't. I am not judging this beer against belgians and other great beers. It is a pilsner. And for a pilsner, it is very good. It ours golden and crisp and has a fruity tint to the taste. Very good pilsner beer, perfect for sitting on the beach. (383 characters)

3.63/5  rDev +31.5%

Well balanced and refreshing, a good example of the adjunct style. The hops are non aromatic but provide the expected refreshing bitterness that lets you quench your thirst. Pleasant yeasty nose combined with a light mouthfeel and a very clean finish make this an excellent choice for warm weather chillin. At $12 for a 12 pack it's really worth checking out, if we ever get through the winter :) (396 characters)

3.63/5  rDev +31.5%

This is a very very fresh bottle. Pours clear golden, with a decent head, but not the rocky pilsener head i would like. Streaming bubbles of carbonation. Smell is lightly toasted malt and very light herbal hops. Taste is pretty simple and light, toasted malts, light floral herbal hops, tiny tiny bit spicy. It's balanced well, but nothing earth shattering. Quite crisp and clean. Body is very light, effervescent, pretty spot on for a pilsener, maybe a tad thin. Poundable. Overall, pretty decent beer, could use a little more depth of flavor, but not bad at all. (564 characters)

3.61/5  rDev +30.8%

A suprisingly good sample of a typical Macro Lager...
Single, twelve ounce bottle purchased from Sparrow Wine and Liquors in Hoboken...
Pours a clear, see-through, lucid, golden-colored hue with rising carbonation and a surprisingly large head that soon receded...
Typical macro aroma with evident grains, corns, and slight biscuity notes...
Crisp, refreshing, golden flavor with no evidence of any alcohol... Nice 6% ABV which isn't bad for the style...
Good mouthfeel and an equally good level of drinkability make for a light, easily drinkable brew... (554 characters)

3.6/5  rDev +30.4%

have had these on several different occassions in different locales. each time i walk away thinking "that's actually much better than i expected".

can't say i found a better option in either Puerto Rico or Curacao during my time there. this isn't going to rock your face off but it's also not going to make you cringe when you drink it.

very smooth, crisp, a quality sweetness to it that far surpasses it's union american equivalent.

i'd drink these regularly if available where i live.

my beer of choice when vacationing in the caribbean without a doubt. (560 characters)

3.6/5  rDev +30.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Poured from a green bottle into a weizen glass. Rich, gold color with a 1 inch head. Has a decent aroma, mildly malty. Taste is crisp and refreshing. Goes down smooth with a mild aftertaste. Feels light in the mouth and is very drinkable. Overall this is a pretty good beer. (274 characters)

3.6/5  rDev +30.4%

appearance- light golden in color

smell- little skunky like the euros do

taste- very smooth with some bubbly feeling in the back of your throat

mouthfeel- refreshing

drinkability- in Dominican the best beer to put back and drink lots of on the beach (254 characters)

3.53/5  rDev +27.9%

Pours a very pale, clear yellow with a nice fluffy white head. Disappears rapidly with little lacing. Not much of a smell, but does remind me of Genny Cream Ale for some reason. Does have a faint hop bitterness aroma. Taste is very clean and refreshing. Extremely easy-drinking as expected.

If you are looking to pound a few back with your buddies, this is probably a decent alternative to some of the other macro lager beers out there. Realize that you are drinking a macro lager and review it as such. It is actually a decent beer. (536 characters)

3.52/5  rDev +27.5%

from notes

I had this beer when I was in the Dominican Republic about 4 months ago

Poured from a can into a plastic cup, yellow/gold with a thin white head. Can you get lacing in a plastic cup?... I didn't!

Smells sweet, faint hints of malt & hops.

Actually the taste isn't all that bad, it's just not all that good, either.

Sweet start, malty undertones, slight bite of hops on the back end.

This was all they had at the resort where I stayed, so I drank it and never regreted it the following day(s). To me, that's drinkable. (545 characters)

3.5/5  rDev +26.8%

A friend brought this over tonight. This is a decent pilsner. I could definitley drink a couple of these on a hot summer day. It has a nice crispness to it. I really like this beer. Compared to bud this is an A+ in the American adjunt lager category. (250 characters)

Presidente from Cervecería Nacional Dominicana