Presidente - Cervecería Nacional Dominicana

Cervecería Nacional Dominicana visit their website
Dominican Republic

American Adjunct Lager |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: UncleJimbo on 05-24-2002

Lanzada al marcado en 1935, durante más de siete décadas Presidente ha estado unida a la forma particular de sentir y de ser de los dominicanos, asociando las ocasiones de consumo a grandes celebraciones entre amigos y desarrollando una verdadera cultura cervecera en nuestro país.

La exitosa presencia de Presidente en mercados internacionales, unida a su gran aceptación por parte de los turistas que nos visitan, contribuye a la proyección internacional de la calidad de los productos de la República Dominicana y de los recursos y atractivos del país y de su gente.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Presidente Alström Bros

Best when served near freezing right out of bottle. This beer is shit. If no better option then this will suffice. But if you have a choice pick anything else. Go corona. DR has corona. Hell go coors light! (206 characters)

1.06/5  rDev -61.6%

Presidente is a sparkling, crystal clear pale straw colored cerveza with a thin white head that has good retention and lacing. It smells like someone ran over a skunk. It's very light bodied and watery with a scratchy finish. It tastes like funk. Corn and funk. And skunk. I guess someone had this tiny green bottle under a grow light for a while. (347 characters)

1.08/5  rDev -60.9%

I tried this at Bison County the other day, after the bartender told me that the manager actually took it off of one patron's bill after tasting it and seeing how awful it was. I couldn't even get through a small glass of it.

A: Pours a clear gold yellow with a thin white foam. How exciting.

S: Imagine the worst thing you've ever smelled. Then put it in an already bad beer. Lots of skunk and that's about it.

T: See the smell. It was awful. No hints of malt, hops, or anything. Just a horrible taste that I couldn't wait to get out of my mouth.

M: Crisp! It was cold. I'll give it that much.

D: Don't drink this beer. Ever. Please. I beg of you. It was downright awful. Perhaps in the Dominican Republic, where it's fresh, it's mildly better, but man, this was one horrible beer. (790 characters)

1.12/5  rDev -59.4%

I spent 2 weeks in the Dominican Republic and this was the only beer I could get. Unless I can travel with a backup of good beer, I would have a hard time going back, though the beaches made up for it...

The appearance is golden clear that resembles a typical American light lager. The smell is almost unbearable with big time corn and no hoppiness. The taste is as bad as it smells, lots of corn and light malts, nothing else. The mouth fell is pretty dole. Overall, itself a terrible beer. Even then, I drank a lot of it since I do love beer (even bad beer) but despite the stated 5% ABV, never felt it.

Stay away unless its your only choice... (648 characters)

1.2/5  rDev -56.5%

First had: bottle at some Cuban restaurant in Manhattan

It was the only alternative to Corona, and ended up being a slightly better selection. Slightly.

Poured a clear straw color...uhoh, I see where this is going...carbonation, and a thin fizzy head that fizzled out to nothing. Mostly grains and staleness in the aroma. Weak taste of grains, corn, metallic hops. Bitter and very unflavorful, very light, and not very drinkable at all, unless bland and unimaginative and adjunct is your thing. (496 characters)

1.36/5  rDev -50.7%

Clear straw colored beer with good carbonation. White head, not much retention and very little lace.
Smells bad, astringent grassyness and sour hay-like.
Taste just as bad as it smells, far to sour to even be called citric.
Feels pretty watery, lacks any kind of body that would make it stand out from water.
If you are into sucking feet this is probably the beer for you. I couldn't stand it. Maybe I had a beer gone bad.

-Oelergud (439 characters)

1.45/5  rDev -47.5%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.5

Well, a Dominican Republic beer. Let's try it.
Full golden color, almost amber. Ugly foam, cocacola-like, quickly falling to zero.
The smell: corn, sugared water. Macro lager.
Quite useless.
Unsignificant taste, washed out. No body at all. No personality. Nothing.
I just can't finish it. (293 characters)

1.56/5  rDev -43.5%

Clear yellow beer with a fast, fizzy, soda-like head. Looked like whiz in a glass of club soda.

The aroma was pure skunkiness. I bought this at a Hispanic market in Paterson NJ, and I think it hadn't been sitting around too long.

The taste was of very watery malt, corn, and a touch of bitterness. Some alcohol evident. Very unimpressive.

Mouthfeel was just fizziness. No body to it.

I'd drink it if it were a lot colder and the day was a lot hotter, but otherwise I would probably avoid it. (503 characters)

1.58/5  rDev -42.8%

gift from mom on her cruise a while back, she tries i always give her credit for that, but this was one that was just nearly impossible to put down. served cold and poured into a pint glass.

a crystal clear pale yellow comes out of the glass straight away, nothing to see here as it barely made any type of head what so ever an in fact, really just left hardly anything at all to look at.

aroma again was non existent with light corn, a hint of pale grains an a wet cardboard flavor that really just would not let anything come past it at all. no after taste other then a skunky mixed malty mess.

overall it was not that the flavor was that terrible, but there was just something about this that i just could not do. (719 characters)

1.58/5  rDev -42.8%

Poured unto a tankard.

Appearance: Transparent clear gold, solid white head is roughly 1/2" off the body.

Smell: Weak hop smell, I don't mean to disrespect the beer but this beer disrespects real beers of the world.

Taste: Dry hops, no yeast presence and feels like carbonated hoppy water.

Mouth: Medium to heavy carbonation but the taste makes the mouth feel weak.

Overall: I have had this beer many times and have it only depending on the situation (I come from a dominican family). I really try my best to respect this beer but in my honest opinion this is nothing more than your basic lager maybe a little more dry. Granted on a hot summer day, and your at the beach in DR believe me the review for this beer is definitely much higher, but unfortunately I am not on that beach every day. Hope you all enjoy but be warned. Salud! (842 characters)

1.59/5  rDev -42.4%

presidente pilsner

A= golden yellow with lots of carbonation.

S= smells of wheat cant pick up any hops at all

T= strange corn/wheat taste

MF= medium full with bubbles

ok i'm sorry this beer to me is 8 kinds of nasty, my dominican friends say the crap we get in the us isnt the same you get in the dominican republic.

cheers!...not! (339 characters)

1.68/5  rDev -39.1%

Bottle- Pale, pale yellow with a fizzy and short lived white cap. The nose is grassy with lots of pale malts and a heavy dose of vegetables. Tastes of mild bitter grassy hops with veggies and straw. Quick and spritzy finish. Not offensive, just not good. (254 characters)

1.76/5  rDev -36.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

This is a pretty weak hack at a pilsner. Plenty of overcooked grain and that classic, Corona-like skunk. Nothing doing in terms of hops. This might be appropriate to quaff on the beach with a few lime wedges, but makes for a disappointing brew overall. (252 characters)

1.83/5  rDev -33.7%

I had this beer when I was visiting the Dominican Republic during 2012. So there I was sitting on the beach and I'm looking at the beer menu and I see this beer 'Presidente' and I am always open to trying the local beer of the country so I gave it a try.

This is what i thought about it:
This beer had a very cheap and a little outdated in my opinion.
The taste of the beer could be compared to the taste of sea water. I don't know if it was because i was sitting on the beach but sea water is what i would describe the taste as. Now, I thought this beer maybe have been skunked but i ordered 2 more and they were all like this.

This beer is alright to try once if you are in the Dominican but I wouldn't recommend it as a good beer. (736 characters)

1.87/5  rDev -32.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

I was in Miami Beach on vacation. Wanted to try some new brews, but most of the places had only Bud, Miller and Coors.

The server suggested an import Presidente. Ok, lets get one...

A - Looks like a lager, clear, golden, nice foamy head, that went down fast.

S - No smell...no hops, no malt.

T - Less taste than a light beer.... did I order a non alcoholic drink????

M - Mouth feel was good, but without any taste it could have been any light beer. Def. not a premium beer.

D - Ok, if I were on the beach and it were 100 degrees I could slam down several of these.

Overall if you looking for a "beer" order a Miller/Bud light or some other brand of beer before spending the extra cash for this import. (712 characters)

1.92/5  rDev -30.4%

This is basically a Budweiser clone. Maybe +5-10% maltier. One of two basic beers from the Dominican Republic that you can readily find at the "Majestic Resorts" in Punta Cana. The other beer, Brahma is brewed in Brazil.

Glad I brought my own beer. (249 characters)

1.96/5  rDev -29%

I had this Dominican Republic beer while visiting Zurich, Switzerland and Florence, Italy, which have large Dominican populations. It pours light yellow, over-carbonated, and the head dissipates rapidly with no trace. It has a light malt taste, with traces rice, citric, dish water, and grasses. It has a sweet aftertaste, with very little edge going down. It is not filling and you can easily through a six pack back.

Switzerland & Italy May-June 2013 (453 characters)

Nothing spectacular here - yellowish color, light head that dissipates quickly. Overly carbonated (which I'm learning I just don't like.) It has the taste of a lite beer (and no, I had the regular type, not lite.) I even had two this evening just to make sure of my impression. I sure do like trying beers from other countries, but the Dominican Republic won't be one country I'll be looking at any time soon. (409 characters)

Bottle.

I went to a friend's house of Poker night and broke out the good stuff. Poured a lighter yellow color with a smaller sized off white head. Aromas of corn and some graininess. Tastes of corn, sweet maltiness, and grainy. Yep, it is a Pale Lager alright. (262 characters)

2.03/5  rDev -26.4%

22 onz green bottle with no date on the back "not even label"

The appearance is straw color with a white head.

The Smell grains and malt ,some sweetness.

The taste corn and veggies ,very strong there(but also not that bad).

Mouth feels dry after while having this beer, not the most refreshing one, worth a try but not to drink it often (349 characters)

2.03/5  rDev -26.4%

Bought as a single at Winn Dixie.

12 oz green longneck no freshness dating.

The beer pours a bright yellow with a minimal head.

I get a skunky aroma with a bit of graininess. Not to appetizing.

The beer is slightly sweet and quite bland. It s a bit grainy and unfortunately, the skunk aroma spills over to the taste.

The mouth is a bit thin, drinkable only in a pinch. Don't waste your time with this one! Over priced at a $1.50 per bottle. (460 characters)

2.06/5  rDev -25.4%

A: Pale yellow and transparent with a large, foamy white head.

S: Cooked veggies and a slight hint of honey sweetness

T/M: Generic adjunct malts, a bit of phenols and the slightest hint of hops at the end. Otherwise, just pure, bland wateriness.

D: Not impressed at all. Not very drinkable except to quench down some flavorful Caribbean food. (347 characters)

2.06/5  rDev -25.4%

Beer bottle (33cl), tasted in 2004.

Appearance : clear yellow color, with white head foam.
Smell : Aromas are negligible
Taste and mouthfeel : very little bitterness, no
Drinkability : a well known beer in Dominicana republic, but a bad copy of Pilsener style (260 characters)

2.08/5  rDev -24.6%

Since there was nothing else left to try on the menu I picked up one of these. It's a drinkable lager but it's just nothing special. If you've had one Adjunct Lager then you've probably had this one too. The beer is yellow without much of any head. The smell is bitter and the flavor is grassy and bitter. Not much else to really say about it. (343 characters)

2.09/5  rDev -24.3%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a light gold color, with a large white head that fades quickly and leaves a thin lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is of pungent light malts, grain and a faint touch of hops.

T: The taste starts with the typical adjunct sweetness, but it isn't as strong as most in the style. There are also bready flavors of grain and barley. The hops presence is very mild. The after-taste is slightly sweet and slightly bready.

M: Crisp and a little smooth, light body, medium carbonation, finish is clean.

D: Not very tasty, goes down easily enough, not too filling, decent kick for the style and a good representation of style, I've certainly had much worse but this still isn't a beer that I would want to drink again if I had other choices. (804 characters)

Presidente from Cervecería Nacional Dominicana