Microbrew Invitational

PresidentePresidente

Cervecería Nacional Dominicana
Dominican Republic | website

Style: American Adjunct Lager

Lanzada al marcado en 1935, durante más de siete décadas Presidente ha estado unida a la forma particular de sentir y de ser de los dominicanos, asociando las ocasiones de consumo a grandes celebraciones entre amigos y desarrollando una verdadera cultura cervecera en nuestro país.

La exitosa presencia de Presidente en mercados internacionales, unida a su gran aceptación por parte de los turistas que nos visitan, contribuye a la proyección internacional de la calidad de los productos de la República Dominicana y de los recursos y atractivos del país y de su gente.

Added by UncleJimbo on 05-24-2002

Reviews: 239 | Ratings: 705
4.75/5  rDev +74%

Admittedly, I'm not all the surprised at the litany of fellow advocates that tore into this beer given the culture of the community; however, I did figure I'd see at least one positive review, especially since it's almost always out of stock at all the local Spec's, Gabriel's, etc., but not so. Anyway... screw it, i'm stickin' with it and you're about to see a fantastic one!

I love Presidente! I'd choose it over Dos Equis, Corona and just about any other mass produced Mexican or Dominican beer. I had it first at port on the island of Saint Maarten during a cruise vacation, so I thought maybe my intoxication affected my perceptions so I tried it again when I got home - still great! Very refreshing, crisp, clean and easy to drink: perfect for hot days and bbq's if you're looking to grab something cheap and in mass.

Best when served near freezing right out of bottle. This beer is shit. If no better option then this will suffice. But if you have a choice pick anything else. Go corona. DR has corona. Hell go coors light!

2.75/5  rDev +0.7%

Bottle brought back from the DR by Dave, thanks for the opportunity!
Pours a clear light golden color with a huge fluffy white head that leaves quite a bit of lace on the sides. Aromas of sweet bready pilsner malt with an hint of sulfur and some faint floral essence. Flavor is a bit on the sweet side with a hint of spice. Light body with a huge amount of carbonation and just shy of watery in the mouth. I've had much worse, but I could see a few of these going down easily on a beach somewhere.

2.25/5  rDev -17.6%

Completely clear, and a very pale yellow color, this seems to be more along the lines of what I've come to expect from the mass-produced international beers of what is arguably the worst style out there, as the fizz that would be a head never actually forms more than a thin layer (which is something) and it ends up looking like tainted seltzer, though a tiny spot or three remains in places.
Vegetal and husky, this goes one direction of two terrible options these sometimes take; at least it's not sickeningly sweet, though it's got that awful "cooked" sort of smell that translates to the taste, though less aggressively. Grains come out more strongly then, building up a sort of astringent nature into the finish. Malts and the vaguest hint of herbal hops flavor try to save it and give it just the slightest boost from the aroma.
Much more on the dry side than many, this one builds up to a sort of chalky finish. That said, it's crispness is consistently strong, and it's not horribly unclean. It avoids stickiness, which is something.

2.67/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.5

Poured from 12oz green bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: light golden hue with a moderate effervescence and no haze. Head is a thin finger of frothy white foam. Par for the style.

Smell: adjunct-y malt aroma, but too light to be truly offensive.

Taste: a bit of plasticy flavor and a little bit of corn pops on this otherwise lightly flavored brew. Not the best adjunct lager out there, and not the worst.

Mouthfeel: light body with a decent carbonation which is refreshingly fizzy.

Overall: eh. I wouldn't seek this beer out again, unless I found myself in the DR and wanted a local quaff on the beach.

3.06/5  rDev +12.1%

A-very clear golden color that has a small white head that faded fast and leaves some lace
S-malt and sweet corn aroma
T-very smooth malt taste with a low hop aftertaste and a good malt flavor
M- light body and medium carbonation
O-this was a Okay, was smooth and refreshing

3.27/5  rDev +19.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

330ml bottle.

A: Pale colour, small head, retained a layer of foam on top, had
surprising amount of lacing.

S: Minimal euro lager like aroma, some hay.

T: Fairly sweet, slight grain and diacetyl.

M: Slightly heavy body for style, minimal carbonation.

O: OK for a hot day in the Dominican Republic, nothing offensive about
it.

2.78/5  rDev +1.8%

12oz. bottle poured into pilsener glass.

A: Pours a transparent straw yellow with a fizzy white head that dissipates rather quickly. There is a bubbly cap that retains for a good while, with a few strands of lace left behind. An astronomical amount of bubbles rising to the surface hints that this brew might be a bit overly carbonated... However, this looks substantially more pleasant than most BMC products here.

S: This is where I'm getting worried. Lots of corn and cooked grains. Light hint of malts and a weird hop aroma that I'm not sure if I'm happy to detect or worried about how off it smells.

T: Flavor is a bit on the clean side, inoffensive side, which certainly puts it a notch ahead of BMC. Lots of lightly toasted cereal grain flavors with just a tad hint of malt sweetness in the finish. A dab of hop bitterness lingers on the tongue after the swallow. As the beer approaches room temperature, a bit of a metallic boozy flavor can be detected above the malts in the finish. Not overly offensive, but definitely worth noting that this beer should be consumed fairly chilled.

M: Lots of crispness and a quite effervescent carbonation, but isn't overly carbonated like I feared. A solid body that dwells just below the medium range, but substantially heavier than light lagers. Goes down surprisingly easy.

O: I'm not a fan of pilseners nor lagers/adjunct lagers, but I have to say that I'm honestly impressed by this. I hold Dominican cuisine near and dear to my heart, so when I saw a Dominican brewed beer in the cooler, I had to pick it up to see what it was all about. While it's very much along the lines of a BMC offering, Presidente offers more flavor, a lot more character in the mouth, and serves as a refreshing beverage alongside some summer food. Will definitely be keeping this in mind for my next family BBQ.

1.96/5  rDev -28.2%

I had this Dominican Republic beer while visiting Zurich, Switzerland and Florence, Italy, which have large Dominican populations. It pours light yellow, over-carbonated, and the head dissipates rapidly with no trace. It has a light malt taste, with traces rice, citric, dish water, and grasses. It has a sweet aftertaste, with very little edge going down. It is not filling and you can easily through a six pack back.

Switzerland & Italy May-June 2013

3.25/5  rDev +19%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Poured from the bottle into a dimpled mug.

A: Crisp and golden with a thin head that dissipates quickly. Appears to be heavily carbonated, with lots of bubbles rising from the bottom and stuck to the sides of the glass. Looks exactly how I'd expect a tropical lager to look, if not a bit darker.

S: Sort of weak grain with slightly fruity notes. Very small hint of skunking, nothing too offensive.

T: Much like the smell, watery and grainy with slight fruit and even slighter skunk. It's not bad, but it's not really impressive. Not too different from other tropical lagers.

M: Thin with lots of carbonation, true to the style.

O: This is a beer that's very much like other tropical lagers I've had. It's not my favorite, but it's not repulsive, either. It's just kind of there. I've rated it relatively highly because it is, in my opinion and experience, exactly what I expected from a lager exported from a tropical country. It gets lots of points for being true to the style, but loses points subjectively, because as true to style as it is, it's not a style that I'm in love with by any means. Beats the hell out of Corona, though.

3.63/5  rDev +33%

Well balanced and refreshing, a good example of the adjunct style. The hops are non aromatic but provide the expected refreshing bitterness that lets you quench your thirst. Pleasant yeasty nose combined with a light mouthfeel and a very clean finish make this an excellent choice for warm weather chillin. At $12 for a 12 pack it's really worth checking out, if we ever get through the winter :)

2.74/5  rDev +0.4%

Pours a clear and golden color which is topped with a very generous whitea foamy head with quite good retention.
The pleasant hoppy aroma is very gentle and I could also point out some grainy smell.
The taste starts a bit too sweet with just a minimal amount of bitterness in the body. The finish is bland, nothing to it. Also, it has a slightly watery feel.
Great beer to have on a sunny beach, but not so great if you want a lot of taste out of it.

2.82/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

Bottle brought back from DR by my buddy Tyler

Appearance - Clear yellow colour with an average size white coloured head. There is an average amount of carbonation showing and there is some fair lacing. The head lasted for around 2-3 minutes before it was gone.

Smell - Skunk, bread, corn, apples

Taste & Mouth - There is an above average amount of carbonation and I can taste malts, corn and apples. There is also some bread and a some grassy notes. It ends with a bready/grainy aftertaste.

Overall - Nice and refreshing.. can see how this would be great on a hot beach. Not bad for an adjunct.

Well, this isn't a very interesting beer, but under the circumstances, it was nice to have. We were on a cruise ship excursion tour of Aruba and stopped by those crazy rocks you can climb up and get a great view of the island from. Across the street was a nice little bar and they didn't have a lot to drink, and I wanted to try anything oddball, so Presidente Cerveza from the Dominican Republic it was. It was considerably cheaper than cruise ship beer - about $2, and refreshing on a typical hot day in Aruba.

The beer has little character and cannot be recommended, but it may the lesser of evils if you find yourself in this part of the world. It was better than the local Aruba beer. The presentation and bottling were first rate. Cheers, Aruba. Cheers, Dominican Republic.

2.75/5  rDev +0.7%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass

Appearance: overly foamy. standard pour yielded half a glass of head. second try was a much slower pour but still, a third of the glass. Color was darker than other pilsners I've had

Smell: Nothing really standout, standard fair

Taste: Again, nothing special. Not much of the spicy hop note I expected from a pilsner.

Mouthfeel: Again, overly foamy, nothing standout

Overall: meh..., go with Port Royal

2.4/5  rDev -12.1%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

OK: if you happen to find yourself in the Dominican Republic, this is the best you're gonna do. (Hey, it's ALL you're gonna do because I don't think there are any other choices.) Basically Budweiser on steroids. A little maltier, not much boozier, and not much much better. If you're NOT in the DR, avoid this beer unless it's free (and even then, approach with caution).

After a Holiday in the Dominican I went on a mad 5 year search for this beer. When served as the natives do at home, with a pinch of sugar in a stout glass, this beer has become my absolute favorite. Strong head. No after taste. No Heavy Beer Drag but with a nice 5% pop It is no wonder that thou the Dominican is one of the poorest countries in the world the people all seem to have a smile on their face. I always have one when drinking Presidente !

3.1/5  rDev +13.6%

12 oz bottle was poured into a pint glass.

Appearance: This beer poured a one finger head that reduced to a thin layer. Nice lacing on the glass as the beer was drank. It is a golden straw yellow with great clarity and bubbles coming up through the glass. Nice lacing on the glass as the beer was drank.

Smell: Sweet and bready pilsner malts followed by cereal grains and grassy hops.

Taste: Same as above. Not really much going on here.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, chewy, light bodied to medium bodied, and low to medium carbonation.

Overall: Pretty straightforward and normal pilsner. It could be more crisp and refreshing, but just middle of the road.

2.74/5  rDev +0.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

12 oz

Pours clear gold with white suds.

Light coppery malt and sugar adjunct aromas.

Coppery malt flavor with sugar adjuncts and a minimal hop presence.

Light to medium body with a crisp carbonation.

Perfectly average. Also forgettable. But by no means terrible. Good beach beer.

2.1/5  rDev -23.1%

12oz green bottle served in a pint glass

A - Mostly clear pale straw color. A big bubbled white head vanishes rather quickly.

S - Sweet corn, grain husk, lager yeast, honey.

T - Follows the nose with sweet but light malt, lager yeast, chalky bitterness toward the lackluster finish.

M - Low carbonation, syrupy body.

This beer is just bleh. I actually shuddered after a few drinks. Glad I only bought a single. If I'm ever in the Dominican Republic I'll stick to wine.

1.12/5  rDev -59%

I spent 2 weeks in the Dominican Republic and this was the only beer I could get. Unless I can travel with a backup of good beer, I would have a hard time going back, though the beaches made up for it...

The appearance is golden clear that resembles a typical American light lager. The smell is almost unbearable with big time corn and no hoppiness. The taste is as bad as it smells, lots of corn and light malts, nothing else. The mouth fell is pretty dole. Overall, itself a terrible beer. Even then, I drank a lot of it since I do love beer (even bad beer) but despite the stated 5% ABV, never felt it.

Stay away unless its your only choice...

2.73/5  rDev 0%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Appearance: Clear dark-golden body with a massive, moderately coarse white head. Broken lacing adorns the glass walls, while columns of fine, fast-rising carbonation surge to the surface.

Aroma: Bread and cracker malt contrasts nicely with pleasant grassy hops, and a slight mineral note. Despite the green bottle, skunk aromas are largely absent.

Taste: Opens with a modest grain and cereal note, with grassy hops, and a slight soured hay note. AS the taste progresses, there is a moderate tanginess, which contrasts well with the malt. Finishes with a mild, steely hop flavor.

Mouth feel: A bit thin, with slightly stinging carbonation.

Drinkability/notes: Not bad, really, it is probably very refreshing in an island clime, but in all, neither outstanding, nor offensive.

Presentation: Packaged in a twenty-two ounce green glass bomber with a pry-off crown, served in a New Belgium Brewing chalice.

2.75/5  rDev +0.7%

I had this on-tap, in bottles, and cans all while in the Dominican Republic. It tastes pretty close to Bud Light or Miller Light, which is to say, not bad for a day at the beach/pool, but not something you drink for its flavor. Its light on the alcohol so you can definitely enjoy a good amount of em and it doesn't really do you in. I enjoyed it because I was out in the sun and it didn't dehydrate me quite as much as heavier stuff. You know what youre getting into with a beer like this.

1.83/5  rDev -33%

I had this beer when I was visiting the Dominican Republic during 2012. So there I was sitting on the beach and I'm looking at the beer menu and I see this beer 'Presidente' and I am always open to trying the local beer of the country so I gave it a try.

This is what i thought about it:
This beer had a very cheap and a little outdated in my opinion.
The taste of the beer could be compared to the taste of sea water. I don't know if it was because i was sitting on the beach but sea water is what i would describe the taste as. Now, I thought this beer maybe have been skunked but i ordered 2 more and they were all like this.

This beer is alright to try once if you are in the Dominican but I wouldn't recommend it as a good beer.

2.61/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Pours a clear straw yellow. Lots of bubbles, finger width of head. Lace clings to the side of my Victory Prima Pils glass. Decent head retention and lace. Pretty surprising looks.

Brew smells of corn and rice. Standard nose for a no frills pils. Sub par nose.

Brew tastes of corn, pale malts and rice. Carbonation leads to drinkability, but provided lacking tastes. A sub par pils. Almost like a "lite" brew. Sub par.

Brew was in a brews from around the world gift pack I received. I dont plan on visiting the Dominican Republic, but if I do I will be drinking mixed drinks.

A below average macro tasting pilsner with good looks.

Presidente from Cervecería Nacional Dominicana