Spezial Rauchbier Lager - Brauerei Spezial

good

Brauerei Spezial visit their website
Germany

Rauchbier |  4.70% ABV

Unser Lagerbier ist die bekannteste Rauchbiersorte aus unserem Spezialitätenangebot. Das bernsteinfarbige Bier mit seinem feinem, mildem Rauchgeschmack lässt auch Skeptiker zum überzeugten Rauchbierfan werden. Der Stammwürzgehalt dieses Bieres beträgt ca.12% - daraus resultiert der Alkoholgehalt mit ca.4,7%

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-19-2002)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
flyingpig

United Kingdom (Scotland)

1.18/5  rDev -68%

500ml Bottle (Good Spirits Co, Glasgow - £2.80):
Clear, mild looking amber with a thin white lacing on top that is about two millimetres tall before turning patchy.

A disgusting combination to smoked wood and an overpowering cured ham aroma that isn't unlike smoky bacon crisps. There was a few malts coming through but it smelts truly appalling, probably the worst I've ever smelt.

Smoky wood and some lingering malts with some spice but again the overriding taste was a cured ham one that was disgusting and pretty much undrinkable. Not quite as bad as the smell but awful none the less.

Smooth & medium bodied with some spice. Very had to be unbiased here as the taste was so bad that the mouthfeel was never going to turn around the beers fortunes.

Definitely the worst tasting beer I've ever tried although perhaps not the absolute worst overall. About five different people at a party tried a sip of this and all formed similar opinions, this one was drain pour pure and simple.

05-07-2013 22:22:58 | More by flyingpig
OWSLEY069

1.75/5  rDev -52.6%

Pours a clean orange-ish to copper color with a white head. In the aroma, a small hint of smoke and a smell of sweet tea. In the taste, small dry smoke and a hint of sweet tea maltiness. A small bite and medium to light bodied mouthfeel, with a small dry tea like aftertaste. Light smoke and a big presence of sweet tea malt and a hint of lemon.

11-05-2010 11:35:20 | More by OWSLEY069
GClarkage

1.8/5  rDev -51.2%

Consumed in October 2004 at the Toronado on tap. Well, for starters, this apparently isn't my type of beer, which makes it really hard to review. I'm not a fan of smoked beers, as I was not aware that this type of beer was smoked. So, I apologize to all smoked beer lovers for the low rating I am going to give. I guess it's just one of those aquired taste beers. Just like I love IPA to the max beers, others can't tolerate them. OK....Poured a brownish, reddish hazy color with virtually zero head whatever. It left next to no lace also. The smell was a bit pungent. I've always read the reviews of "barnyard" type scents and never understood. Now I have a bit of an understanding. UGH, didn't enjoy the taste at all. Mainly because of the smoky overtones. Next to zero carbonation and tasted like a pair of used sweatsocks that have been soaking in some aged iced tea. Sorry, but not my kind of beer. I'm sure it's a perfectly good one for the smoked beer fans out there though. So, pay no attention to my rating unless you dislike smoked beers like I do.

10-30-2004 16:59:49 | More by GClarkage
Fish113d

1.98/5  rDev -46.3%

Served from a bottle, slightly chilled into a tulip glass.

It pours an amber color with 2 fingers of fizzy lacey white head; very clean looking. Aroma is quite grainy w/ an almost lima bean aroma (yeah, really!), but not much aroma at all, and it reminded me almost of beef vegetable stew, and I HATE beef vegetable stew! Taste is a slight smoke flavor w/ a hickory meat taste (almost like beef jerky), some grainy malts, and very little hops...overall, i was not happy. Feel is tingly carbonation on the sip followed by a thinning feel by the swallow; not much else going on. This is quite possibly the worst beer I have ever had...honestly!

02-23-2005 02:38:26 | More by Fish113d
wyllder

2.1/5  rDev -43.1%

On tap at the Moan & Dove, Amherst MA.

Poured a slightly cloudy bronze-copper with a weak beige head that fades away to nothing.

Smell was an unpleasant hay/horseblanket/manure. This is the first time I've truly understood the barnyard description I've seen for other beers. Another scent confused in there is the medicinal smell of a fresh package of band-aids.

Taste was, unfortunately for me, tied to the smell. There's some malt character in there, but I couldn't get away from the medicinal and barnyard qualities that took up residence in the back of my throat.

Mouthfeel was average. Drinkability suffered purely as a result of the taste.

Comments: Of the 6 people I had sip this, 4 agreed with me and 2 others thought it was really good. Of the two who liked it, one was smoking regularly that night and the other was drinking a Stone Russian Imperial Stout. For fun, I had a sip of the Stone Imp Russian and then tried some more of the Rauchbier: much better. The Stone killed the foul taste. Too bad the effect only lasted for about 3-4 sips. Maybe this is one of those beers/styles I'll have to try several times before finding out I actually love it. It will have to wait, though, as I won't be revisiting it anytime soon.

Wyll-

08-23-2004 15:28:46 | More by wyllder
hustlesworth

2.42/5  rDev -34.4%

after a review of an unnamed danish pachyderm beer left me completely dissatisfied, i cracked open a smoker i've had for a few weeks. prost to hopefulness.

A- deep clear rusty amber with many floating particles. foam is nice and creamy and beige with thick lace blanketing the inside of the glass.

S- hardly any smoke in the aroma, just the faintest touch, and overall it smells like an oktoberfest. something i definitely don't mind, but not what i had expected. mineral water, slightly metallic, sweet caramel malts, and underlying toasty aromas. floral spicy hops.

T- some very very mild cocoa, coffee, and roasted flavors, very toasty, but sadly not much smoke. pretty much a plain malty lager for me. some caramel sweetness and noble hop flavor in the finish.

MF- light carbonation and a powdery feel. ample body.

D- must be a bad day for beer in my world. 2 disappointments in a row and i'm about to just call it a night. maybe this bottle is old. i can't find a freshness date.

12-26-2009 04:28:57 | More by hustlesworth
Kahlerbock

Kansas

2.5/5  rDev -32.2%

01-31-2012 15:44:06 | More by Kahlerbock
sulldaddy

Connecticut

2.55/5  rDev -30.9%

Well I am guessing I had the lager, since most everyone else has. I sampled a chilled 10 oz snifter at Kclingers on tap. I was excited for a rauchbier as I enjoy smokiness in my brew. I have to say I was let down.
The beer arrives with no head and is a cloudy orange color. Aroma is very mild with sweet fruit (apples and pears) dominant. No smoke that my nose can detect. No hops either. Much more mild than I expected and seems to be more of a belgian than a rauch.
Flavor is similar to nose, no smoke flavor is sweet and fruity apples pears and tangy yeast. I get some lemon and slightly spicy hops but again no smoke. DOnt get me wrong the beer is quite tasty, but I ordered what I thought was a smoke beer and it ended up tasting like a dubbel. ENjoyable beer but my marks are low due to lack of smoke.

02-19-2005 20:36:37 | More by sulldaddy
patelc75

2.58/5  rDev -30.1%

It had a very average taste to it, almost like a light lager. I tasted very little smokiness which is what the Ruachbier style is know for. I had it at the Waterfront Ale House in Brooklyn which is known for a good selection of beers. Not worth what is paid to have it imported. It did also have a sweeter malt than expected.

08-23-2007 14:58:44 | More by patelc75
shapudding

2.65/5  rDev -28.2%

Bottled 02/09/2004. Honey gold and semi unclear. Can see sediment throughout it. Just the slightest bit of a white ring of dusty head. Only a touch of liquid smoke in the scent, but not much else, did catch an almost honey scent as it warmed. Fairly thin bodied with a bit of carbonation -not too much. Not as smokey as the other rauchs I have tried before, but there is a decent amount of liquid smoke in the background, it just is not too intense in the flavors. The smoke seems to be more in the aroma, and lingers in your mouth after the sip, you smell it on your breath heavily too. Seems funny to say the aroma lingers on your mouth... Mild flavors, mainly just malty with a touch of smoke, and a bit of darkened toast left in the back of the mouth. Interesting one to try.

03-21-2005 02:44:37 | More by shapudding
stereosforgeeks

2.7/5  rDev -26.8%

Appearance: A nice clean copper color and a big foamy white head.

Smell: An aroma of smoked sausages.

Taste: A splash of hops hits first then you got some smoked sausages and malts.

Mouthfeel: Light on the mouth. Nice carbonation.

Drinkability: This was my first rauchbier and it definitely is a particular taste. This doesn't really seem like my type of beer but I plan on trying some more at some point.

03-18-2007 22:44:12 | More by stereosforgeeks
Amalak

2.75/5  rDev -25.5%

I loved the look in the pint glass. Gold in color, it was extremely bubbly. Insane actually, it just keeps on going with the bubbles. Very Euro style lager scent to it.

Vary chalky, smoky kind of taste to it. It was too burnt in my opinion. Tingles a bit on the tongue. Not a bad beer, it just doesn't do muc hfor me...but it looks cool.

01-22-2009 04:34:46 | More by Amalak
Proteus93

2.75/5  rDev -25.5%

A: Slightly hazy dark amber. White head, modest, with essentially no lacing to be seen.

S + T + M: Sadly, both aspects here are a little disappointing. The smokiness is there, but it's very, very light. The nose could perhaps stretch it into being a 'delicate peat,' but the flavour verges on being outright watery. Body performs a little better, but barely... it doesn't have that big 'meatiness' that can be associated with the style, both in body and in flavour!

D: It's a reasonable quaffer as far as alcohol content goes, but it ends there. It was all unfortunate, as the style can be incredibly good and I had really hoped for a more assertive and robust beer.

08-15-2009 02:32:25 | More by Proteus93
Atricapilla

2.75/5  rDev -25.5%

Pours with a thick head that dissipates to a thin one rather quickly. Is a light smokey amber in color. The aroma is heavy in grain with strong smokey (surprise!) overtones. Flavor is light, with smoke & grains dominating. It leaves me desiring something a bit thicker and heavier to accompany the smoke.

02-25-2008 02:26:52 | More by Atricapilla
Rekrule

05-13-2013 12:41:20 | More by Rekrule
DoubleJ

2.78/5  rDev -24.7%

Half-liter bottle with much of the written work in German. From the BevMo in Cypress, on to the beer:

Murky copper color, the head about one centimeter high and fades to a paper thin sheet. My eyelids grow heavy from the average appearance. There's a little excitement in the nose, which interests my nose. Light whiff of jerky-like dried smoked meat, some astringentcy from the grain. I guess the two senses cancel each other out. The taste will surely make or break the experience. Hmmm...malted lemon flavor, aspirin-like bitterness, little smoke flavor, iced tea in the finish....flavors aren't melding well...what is this?!? The overall flavor is odd and there's little smoke to be found. Yet what's weirder is I'm still drinking it.

I might finish the bottle, but overall this was odd enough, and it fell short on smoke. Maybe a session with Smokey the Bear or a retreat to the Tennessee Smokies could inspire the brewers to get more smoke flavor into this beer.

10-26-2008 05:08:20 | More by DoubleJ
botham

2.78/5  rDev -24.7%

pint bottle poured into a snifter. pours a drab amber color with a minimal eggshell head that is quickly reduced to a soapy rim. poor retention and moderate lacings.

aroma is of meaty smoke up front, with a light funky note that almost resembles wet hay. not much else registers in the nose.

taste is lightly sweet and malty with a very restrained smoke character. everything good about the aroma falls apart on the palate, with only a bit of caramel malt and earthy smoke on the back end. could be much more potent in character, as a good rauchbier is.

mouthfeel is medium bodied and watery in texture, with a light finish of residual bready malt.

drinkability is poor. for a rauchbier, this brew is not impressive. the smoked character is almost non-existant on the palate, even though the aroma is quite promising. this one is easily passed up for a Schlenkerla. not recommended.

07-24-2009 03:33:00 | More by botham
twelvsies

Maine

2.8/5  rDev -24.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Hmmm, interesting. Glad I tried this, but I don't think I'll be going back to it, it's just not my style. That being said, pours a fairly average looking golden color with some white bubbly head on top. Smell is fairly nondescript but includes notes of spicy hops, dust, and smokeyness. The taste/aftertaste is way too smoky for me. I realized that it was supposed to be smoky but I didn't think it would be that overpowering. I enjoy a bit of the subtle smoke flavor of some porters but this flavor was right out front and was difficult to ignore in order to taste the rest of what the beer had to offer. As you drink this beer you kind of get used to the smokiness but was a challenge for me to finish a whole one, and I don't think I've ever said that in a review before... try this one at your own risk and know ahead of time that you're in for something weird. Weird isn't necessarily bad, but I didn't like this beer.

03-10-2005 19:35:45 | More by twelvsies
Mebuzzard

Colorado

2.83/5  rDev -23.3%

Ok, for a Rauchbier this simply falls short. While a good beer without style distinction, this is not a good example of a rauchbier, IMO.

Copper color body with a filmy/soapy head. Smell may hint on smokiness, but only if you're looking for it. Some tame sweet malt, and slight caramel. Overall this beer is semi ordinary. A slight hint at smokiness comes through. Perhaps I'm being overly critical, but I've had better rauchbiers for sure.

04-10-2009 22:39:05 | More by Mebuzzard
magictrokini

2.88/5  rDev -22%

Pours clear and darker gold with a short white head. Lovely smoke and sweet malt aroma. Too bad it turns out to be false advertising. Taste is very lagery; lots of saaz and sweet malt, but only a subtle smoked finish. I want more out of my smoked beer. This is like a Czechvar with a drop of liquid smoke.

12-05-2008 19:31:42 | More by magictrokini
WilliamD

2.9/5  rDev -21.4%

Poured into a pint glass. Hazy light amber color with white head that dissolves quickly.
Very little smokiness detectable in the smell. Smell is mostly watery malts.
Taste was an even bigger letdown. As with the smell, rather watery with malt presence. Slightly sweet aftertaste.
Mouthfeel is rather flat. Perhaps a tiny bit of carbonation. No hint of spice that is present in the good rauchbiers I've had.
Quite frankly, too bland for me to ever want to drink again.

03-28-2009 03:34:43 | More by WilliamD
Suds

2.93/5  rDev -20.6%

This beer is an average colored light-amber colored lager. The head is soapy, white, and firm, and the beer is sufficiently clear. The smell is smoky (like a good smoked salmon) and a bit grainy. Slightly astringent-smelling, with some wood and slight medicinal smell. The taste is light and dry. Smoke is prominent in the taste. The beer is light in mouthfeel, and sweeter than expected from the smell. Interesting, but not really a great brew.

05-07-2011 02:50:15 | More by Suds
dmarch

2.93/5  rDev -20.6%

Orange-copper in appearance with a nice size head. A bit of caramel in the aroma, smokiness is very mild. Smoke is a little more prevalent in the taste, but still very mild. A slight metallic taste as well. Although this is a lager, it reminds me of an amber ale. I was looking for a more intense smokey flavor. A somewhat enjoyable beer, but it doesn't compare to some of the other rauchbiers i've had.

11-16-2003 19:21:10 | More by dmarch