Spezial Rauchbier Lager - Brauerei Spezial

good

Brauerei Spezial visit their website
Germany

Rauchbier |  4.70% ABV

Unser Lagerbier ist die bekannteste Rauchbiersorte aus unserem Spezialitätenangebot. Das bernsteinfarbige Bier mit seinem feinem, mildem Rauchgeschmack lässt auch Skeptiker zum überzeugten Rauchbierfan werden. Der Stammwürzgehalt dieses Bieres beträgt ca.12% - daraus resultiert der Alkoholgehalt mit ca.4,7%

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-19-2002)
bennetj17

Arizona

3.03/5  rDev -17.9%

This Rauchbier pours a mostly clear amber, with little active carbonation and no head to speak of. There is some floating sediment throughout the glass. The smell is nutty, and of smoked wood, with some some faint hops coming though also. The taste is much of the same, smokey, with a light caramelly sweetness. The finish is not as bitter as I would have expected. The smoke flavor dominates this one as the malt and hop flavors don't come out very strong. The mouthfell is thin, and the lower carbonation makes it taste a bit watered down. Not bad if you prefer smokier beers, but it could use a better presentation and more robust flavor...

01-02-2006 04:47:31 | More by bennetj17
JISurfer

South Carolina

4.05/5  rDev +9.8%

Defiantely not as good as the Aecht, but it's still farily decent. It's one of the first smoked beers I've found here in SC in a while, so I wanted to give it a shot.

A - Clean copper color, with a big foamy white head. Head dies out kind of quickly, then goes into a thick, spotty lace.
S - Nice smokey smell. Something of a cedar, mixed with bacon thing going on too. A little bit of a hop tinge in the finish as well. I thought this was nicely done.
T - Very similar to the smell, but not so strong on the smoke. I do like the stronger smokey tastes, so that lost a little bit IMO. You could also get a taste of the hops a little more than the smell as well.
D - Very good beer to have on a wet, cold night such as this one. Reminds me of living up in the mountains and having the fireplace around. Can't argue with that!

12-16-2005 03:44:48 | More by JISurfer
BuckeyeNation

Iowa

4.1/5  rDev +11.1%

Yeast-riddled ripe orange with apricot edges. Full, rich and creamy, the head is somewhere between polished ivory and pale almond in color. The surface bubbles that popped with such a furious intensity immediately after the pour have now settled down to a more sedate rate of poppage. A few thick streaks of froth end up on the glass. Although short on lace, the 'yeast blizzard' intensifies as I get into the bottom of the bottle.

The nose belongs to a rauchbier, that much is clear. That said, it's one of the tamer versions that I've smelled. Given the less than potent beechwood smokiness, I'm amazed that there's little else going on. I don't fault the beer though. In my limited experience with this style, the smoke tends to smother any other aromas that may be present. You either like it or you don't. I like it.

Rauchbier Lager is a little more smoky on the palate, but is still on the tame side compared to the leaders of the style pack. It reminds me a great deal of the 'wheat rauch' from Brauerei Heller-Trum (Schlenkerla). There are no smoked meat or bacon grease comparisons here, just a lightly smoky, refreshing brew.

The beer also has an understated sweetness that fits the flavor profile well. Bitter smoke is rarely a good thing, while sweet smoke can be mouth-wateringly delicious (Bar-B-Q contains sugar for a reason). Even though I much prefer the big, full, smoked-to-the-gills versions of the style, that doesn't mean that I can't appreciate the more subtle qualities of this beer. I'm enjoying it more and more with each and every mouthful. If there's such a thing as a session rauchbier, this one and Schlenkerla Rauchbier Weizen are the best that I've had.

I want a bigger body (I always want a bigger body), although in this case that probably wouldn't be advisable. The mouthfeel is perfect for the task at hand. There's an abundant amount of fine-gauged carbonation that keeps things hopping and makes what is probably a medium-bodied beer seem a shade lighter than that. In any case, my mouth approves.

Spezial Rauchbier Lager is good beer. If you like smoke, you'll probably enjoy it. If you don't, you probably won't. How's that for a brilliant analysis? I like it just fine. Even though I don't crave rauchbiers very often, I plan to buy this one whenever I happen to run across it.

12-12-2005 16:42:02 | More by BuckeyeNation
ypsifly

3.6/5  rDev -2.4%

Pint bottle with a bottled on date of 5.03.0, poured into an imperial pint glass.

Clear, light amber with a good finger of white foam. The head falls in a couple of minutes leaving a thin layer of foam with layered lace.

The nose is, as expected, smokey with sweet malt underneath. Mouthwatering.

It doesn't taste as smoked as it smells. The lager flavors come through very crisp with a pinch of hop bitterness. The smoke shows up more in the aftertaste. Light lager mouthfeel.

The light body and moderate smoke flavors make for a Rauch less interesting then some of the Schlenkerla, but this could make for a better dinner beer.

12-12-2005 04:40:10 | More by ypsifly
whynot44

Missouri

3.65/5  rDev -1.1%

Medium hazy bronze gold color with a foamy off white head that retreats to only a ring almost immediately but still manages to leave a bit of lace.

The aroma is mild smoky pork with a light malt base and a hint of herbal hops.

The taste is also smoky, sausage, ham, ribs with a mild lager undertone and a moderately dry finish with a touch of hops and lingering smoke .

Light/medium bodied, fairly easy to drink. Should work well with barbecue or wild game..

12-08-2005 02:29:58 | More by whynot44
Frozensoul327

4.1/5  rDev +11.1%

Thanks to Putnam for letting me know about this one. Pours out to a orange copper color with a head of about 1/8 inch. Minor notes of lacing, and a medium level of carbonation. Aroma is quite good, but doesn't quite stack up to the power and intensity of Aecht Schlenkerla's Urbock or Marzen. This is very much a Lager and Rauchbier, not one or the other. Smells like bacon, smoke and cured ham. Nice, but could've been a bit stronger. Taste is similar to the aroma, but with some lager characteristics mixed in for good measure; smoke, spice, applewood, malts and some light hops toward the finish blend rather well. Mouthfeel is medium bodied and slightly smooth. Good drinkability; I could have this everyday, unlike Aecht Schlenkerla Urbock or Marzen. Probably a good starting point for those looking to try the Rauchbier Style. Recommended.

11-24-2005 00:14:14 | More by Frozensoul327
putnam

4.58/5  rDev +24.1%

Old bourbon colored.
Smells of apple and applewood smoke, like someone is drinking Pommeau de Normandie in a log cabin, with only fruit wood for light and fuel. Truly an inspiring image. The taste attacks sweet but is quickly overcome by smoldering tannins. Calvados barrels are here, carelessly enflamed, to yield their perfumes indiscriminately and finally. Steaming hearth bread, exhausting the ripest dough fumes of its lifecycle, provide exquisite chewing material in body and supple texture. This is another great import, great not because it is imported, but great because it is packed with premium ingredients and *dry* rather than syrupy sweet.

11-17-2005 23:27:01 | More by putnam
MarineHokie

Connecticut

3.6/5  rDev -2.4%

A- Bright, clear, pale golden color. Thin white head. Decent retention leaves a little lacing.

S- Tomato blossoms, grain, and light smoke.

T- Crisp light hoppiness finishes with smoke that goes on and on...and on. I could still taste a little smoke after the next beer, a bitter.

M- Crisp finish smoothed out by the lingering smoke. Not an everyday beer, but very drinkable on occasion.

10-24-2005 21:34:27 | More by MarineHokie
Citadel82

3.78/5  rDev +2.4%

Intersting Bamberg brew. Not nearly as assertively smoky as Schlenklera products, but tasty and refreshing. Light bodied with definite malt and fruity yeast in the palate as well you can taste the hops at thetail end as well. To be honest i was anticipating more smoke, and consequently was disappointed. But it was tasty, just not as tasty as the others.

08-17-2005 01:55:05 | More by Citadel82
pentathlete

3.93/5  rDev +6.5%

Poured into a mug a hazy tarnished brass, foam starts rocky and drops to a ring. Smell is a mellow smoked sausage making the saliva glands work in anticipation of the savory flavor. The taste is light lagerish with heavy smoke throughout. Malts are subdued and a low hop presence makes itself known. Mouthfeel is rather light, but the flavor makes up for any lack of character here. This beer disappears rather quickly. If you like smoke ales, then this lager based version is worth a try.

05-29-2005 01:24:08 | More by pentathlete
WesWes

3.73/5  rDev +1.1%

The beer pours a dark gold/orange color with a thick frothy offwhite head that slowly fades to lacing. The aroma is decent. It has a typical lager scent with a slight light crystal malt and smokey aroma. The smoke is light, but noticable. The taste is good. It has a smooth lager taste with an earthy smokiness in the finish. It goes down easy and finishes dry and musty. The mouthfeel is decent. It is a low bodied beer with a little too much carbonation. This is a decent beer. It has good taste, but it lacks mouthfeel. All in all, it still drinks well, but I wouldn't buy it again.

05-21-2005 23:21:52 | More by WesWes
JackTheRipper

3.98/5  rDev +7.9%

A: Clear light brownish/amber. Head was about 1" initially, faded fast.

S: Smokiness is there but not overpowering, sort of like the smell on your hands after tending a good hardwood fire. It's different and very nice, actually. Also noted some sweet doughy aromas and just a whiff of fruitiness underneath it all.

T: Smoky, with an almost meaty character. There is a faint spicy taste. Nice malt base to build on. No real hop bitterness.

M: Medium body and carbonation. Alcohol warmth is low.

D&N: My first rauchbier! Thanks to the manager at Sharp Edge for pointing my towards this one. It's a different sort of beer than I'm usually drinking, and quite a pleasant diversion. I was worried that a "smoked" beer would be like drinking another Skullsplitter, so I was very wary of this one, but happily this one isn't like sucking on an ashtray. Worth a try.

05-16-2005 04:53:25 | More by JackTheRipper
shapudding

2.65/5  rDev -28.2%

Bottled 02/09/2004. Honey gold and semi unclear. Can see sediment throughout it. Just the slightest bit of a white ring of dusty head. Only a touch of liquid smoke in the scent, but not much else, did catch an almost honey scent as it warmed. Fairly thin bodied with a bit of carbonation -not too much. Not as smokey as the other rauchs I have tried before, but there is a decent amount of liquid smoke in the background, it just is not too intense in the flavors. The smoke seems to be more in the aroma, and lingers in your mouth after the sip, you smell it on your breath heavily too. Seems funny to say the aroma lingers on your mouth... Mild flavors, mainly just malty with a touch of smoke, and a bit of darkened toast left in the back of the mouth. Interesting one to try.

03-21-2005 02:44:37 | More by shapudding
twelvsies

Maine

2.8/5  rDev -24.1%

Hmmm, interesting. Glad I tried this, but I don't think I'll be going back to it, it's just not my style. That being said, pours a fairly average looking golden color with some white bubbly head on top. Smell is fairly nondescript but includes notes of spicy hops, dust, and smokeyness. The taste/aftertaste is way too smoky for me. I realized that it was supposed to be smoky but I didn't think it would be that overpowering. I enjoy a bit of the subtle smoke flavor of some porters but this flavor was right out front and was difficult to ignore in order to taste the rest of what the beer had to offer. As you drink this beer you kind of get used to the smokiness but was a challenge for me to finish a whole one, and I don't think I've ever said that in a review before... try this one at your own risk and know ahead of time that you're in for something weird. Weird isn't necessarily bad, but I didn't like this beer.

03-10-2005 19:35:45 | More by twelvsies
Fish113d

1.98/5  rDev -46.3%

Served from a bottle, slightly chilled into a tulip glass.

It pours an amber color with 2 fingers of fizzy lacey white head; very clean looking. Aroma is quite grainy w/ an almost lima bean aroma (yeah, really!), but not much aroma at all, and it reminded me almost of beef vegetable stew, and I HATE beef vegetable stew! Taste is a slight smoke flavor w/ a hickory meat taste (almost like beef jerky), some grainy malts, and very little hops...overall, i was not happy. Feel is tingly carbonation on the sip followed by a thinning feel by the swallow; not much else going on. This is quite possibly the worst beer I have ever had...honestly!

02-23-2005 02:38:26 | More by Fish113d
sulldaddy

Connecticut

2.55/5  rDev -30.9%

Well I am guessing I had the lager, since most everyone else has. I sampled a chilled 10 oz snifter at Kclingers on tap. I was excited for a rauchbier as I enjoy smokiness in my brew. I have to say I was let down.
The beer arrives with no head and is a cloudy orange color. Aroma is very mild with sweet fruit (apples and pears) dominant. No smoke that my nose can detect. No hops either. Much more mild than I expected and seems to be more of a belgian than a rauch.
Flavor is similar to nose, no smoke flavor is sweet and fruity apples pears and tangy yeast. I get some lemon and slightly spicy hops but again no smoke. DOnt get me wrong the beer is quite tasty, but I ordered what I thought was a smoke beer and it ended up tasting like a dubbel. ENjoyable beer but my marks are low due to lack of smoke.

02-19-2005 20:36:37 | More by sulldaddy
ybnorml

Rhode Island

3.23/5  rDev -12.5%

A dark golden, amber beer. Has a very small white head that dissappers quickly. There is a light grainy lager aroma with some malty sweetness in the background and maybe a hint of smoke. Smokey flavor covers you tongue quickly with a light fruity sweetness in the background.

02-05-2005 11:44:57 | More by ybnorml
benmiliron

3.03/5  rDev -17.9%

Paid $3.29 for a 1pt 9oz bottle.

Looks a bit musty brown. Decent carbonation, big bubble but not frothy. Decent. Smells of campfire and beer, in that order. This is my first Bamburg Rauchbier. I enjoy the smoke, but would prefer not to drink it solo. Better paired with something else smoky I imagine.

12-18-2004 00:03:32 | More by benmiliron
DPMomutant

Missouri

3.53/5  rDev -4.3%

Pours with a smallish head that sticks a little bit but not very long. The body is unexpectedly light copper.

I can smell the distinct smoked smell, but it is much subtler than others I have tried in this style. Can be nice that it doesn't reach the 'smoked ham' level but I really don't mind that quality either.

The smoked taste is much also much less prevelent than in most in the style but you can tell it's there, mostly in the aftertaste which is quite pleasant. A light sweetness is present as well.

The carbonation is quite light and the consistency quite watery. While the finish is quite smooth, the mouthfeel isn't terribly exciting.

This is more drinkable than others in the style mainly because it is more subtle in smell and taste than others I've tried but I myself would seek something more exciting before having too many.

This isn't bad, but I'm not head over heels for it either. Good enough to try and maybe like. I may even find myself revisiting it someday.

12-08-2004 06:10:52 | More by DPMomutant
TheLongBeachBum

4.33/5  rDev +17.3%

Presentation: Exactly as per the BA Database picture, the cream colored label on this one is very Teutonic. The neck label identifies this as the Special Rauchbier ‘Lager Bier’ with a green stripe, the neck label also states that this is Alc. 4.6% Vol. (I note that this different to the that listed). Reverse label includes a Bottled On Date of 02-09-04. Imported by Shelton Brothers. The date of 1536 on the label is genuine and shows that this is one of Bamberg’s oldest Breweries that is still in family hands.

Appearance: Pours with a massive creamy off-white Teutonic Kopf that fills the Glass. The thick deep head soon rescinds to a rocky covering that laces well and leaves a floating broken rocky iceberg like appearance. The body is a beautiful copper color, perfectly clear with a lovely orange hue when back-lit. Gorgeously smooth carbonation, velvet like in character when lightly swirled.

Nose: Lightly smoked aromas, like a fresh cut cedar, the woody aspects mix extremely well with the more grainy malts. Refreshing nose that is very inviting.

Taste: Grainy malt start, woody, bitter and rather dry. Some creamy toffee in the middle rises as the smoked character builds. Crisp and very clean the lines are well put together. Finishes with a soft light smoked caramel feel that is delicate but firm.

Mouthfeel: Decent feel but the crisp clean lines can make it feel like it only has an average to above-medium feel. Nevertheless, the smoky finish assists in leaving you with a finish that is far from wanting.

Drinkability: One of the more restrained Rauchbiers that I have had, but I actually think that shows some class, it is nicely balanced and the lighter smoked character in this Rauchbier makes for a very drinkable offering. Usually I can only handle one Rauchbier, but I could easily manage several of these beauties with little problem or heartburn.

Overall: Perfect, I like Rauchbiers, but so often they are overkill. This one is absolutely spot on and just right, the smoke is just enough, not too much and not too little, but perfectly in balance. Extremely nice example of a Rauchbier.

Recommended!

11-24-2004 05:01:33 | More by TheLongBeachBum
GClarkage

1.8/5  rDev -51.2%

Consumed in October 2004 at the Toronado on tap. Well, for starters, this apparently isn't my type of beer, which makes it really hard to review. I'm not a fan of smoked beers, as I was not aware that this type of beer was smoked. So, I apologize to all smoked beer lovers for the low rating I am going to give. I guess it's just one of those aquired taste beers. Just like I love IPA to the max beers, others can't tolerate them. OK....Poured a brownish, reddish hazy color with virtually zero head whatever. It left next to no lace also. The smell was a bit pungent. I've always read the reviews of "barnyard" type scents and never understood. Now I have a bit of an understanding. UGH, didn't enjoy the taste at all. Mainly because of the smoky overtones. Next to zero carbonation and tasted like a pair of used sweatsocks that have been soaking in some aged iced tea. Sorry, but not my kind of beer. I'm sure it's a perfectly good one for the smoked beer fans out there though. So, pay no attention to my rating unless you dislike smoked beers like I do.

10-30-2004 16:59:49 | More by GClarkage
TinusTime

3.55/5  rDev -3.8%

Ok another Rauchbier from Bamburg.. Umm what happened? Did they lose he smoke? Pours a nice dark amber brown. With a host of floaty things.. Smell is malty but oddly not smoky. Taste is more like a Heavy dunkle lager.. with just a touch of smoke. This beer reminds me of Stones Smoked Porter.. It says it has smoke but Im trying to find it.. Some one give me a cigarette so i can have some smoke with my smoked bier. Its a tasty brew, but it aint that smokey.. I love the Aecht Schenkerla Rauchbiers.. but this one falls so short of them its not even funny.. Its like Schlenkela is Marlboro and this bier is Marlboro Ultra lite. Its tasty in a Malty almost Martzen way, but not gonna be smokey enough for Rauch lovers.

09-18-2004 02:15:43 | More by TinusTime
Tballz420

3.93/5  rDev +6.5%

This brew has a dark amber/copper body with a tan head that ran away from me. Slight smokey aroma on top of a malty lager scent. Kinda reminds me of a dark euro lager with smoke hints, slight hop flavor, nice level of maltiness. Med to light mouth. Not as intense on the smoke as say the rogue, makes this beer much more appealing to mainstream beer drinkers, i would think.

08-24-2004 17:05:33 | More by Tballz420
wyllder

2.1/5  rDev -43.1%

On tap at the Moan & Dove, Amherst MA.

Poured a slightly cloudy bronze-copper with a weak beige head that fades away to nothing.

Smell was an unpleasant hay/horseblanket/manure. This is the first time I've truly understood the barnyard description I've seen for other beers. Another scent confused in there is the medicinal smell of a fresh package of band-aids.

Taste was, unfortunately for me, tied to the smell. There's some malt character in there, but I couldn't get away from the medicinal and barnyard qualities that took up residence in the back of my throat.

Mouthfeel was average. Drinkability suffered purely as a result of the taste.

Comments: Of the 6 people I had sip this, 4 agreed with me and 2 others thought it was really good. Of the two who liked it, one was smoking regularly that night and the other was drinking a Stone Russian Imperial Stout. For fun, I had a sip of the Stone Imp Russian and then tried some more of the Rauchbier: much better. The Stone killed the foul taste. Too bad the effect only lasted for about 3-4 sips. Maybe this is one of those beers/styles I'll have to try several times before finding out I actually love it. It will have to wait, though, as I won't be revisiting it anytime soon.

Wyll-

08-23-2004 15:28:46 | More by wyllder
sparkydoyle

4.5/5  rDev +22%

Poured from a 17 oz bottle. Small oily head, clear chestnut color, and with a slight smoked nose (not so smoked that one couldn’t pick out malty/bready and a decidedly roasted note).

The taste is complex offering a smoky foretase that seemed to build and then ebb as the beer was consumed. Interesting mineral notes in the middle combined with a roasted malt note that at points met up with the smoke and the sweetness. Overall the beer was very low in hops, but offered a sweet finish that became sweeter and more roasted tasting as the beer warmed. Nice balance between the flavor notes, and every flavor played a well-practiced solo at some point.

Tasters may compare this to the Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier beers ( which come in marzen, wheat and urbock styles—styles also brewed by Spezial.) The Lager is sweeter, has less alcohol, and less-assertive smokyness. The roastyness added interest.

08-10-2004 23:35:23 | More by sparkydoyle