Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Hop Hog - Feral Brewing Co.

Hop HogHop Hog

Feral Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: brendan13 on 07-06-2008

4.84/5  rDev +16.3%

Wow... just wow.
I'm very new to the entire beer scene in general, this being my first review and I feel little amongst MEN.. lol but I feel I need to shout our this beer first as I believe after sampling over 50 beers so far, this is BY FAR.. the best IPA in Australia I've had so far... even if find better, this will remain a favorite!

It's just balanced. That's it. You can session it (well I can..) no problem. Which might be an issue at 5.8abv but who cares! :) I wish I had 10 more sitting in front of me right now... they would be scared.. very scared!

I'm a newbie so what do I know about taste right?
but I'll give my 2c anyways..
look =4 cos I think it could be much danker than it currently looks. maybe on tap it's different? idk
smell=5 ooo yeh! that was the first thing that I noticed.... I was like.. wow.. that smells nice. I hope it tastes that good.. very fruity but not over the top.
taste=5 well I can't rate any lower, .. what else do I know :)
feel=5 it feel nice. reeeeeal nice!
over the all...=4.5 as I suspect there is probably much better.. I know there is better right? why else would it score only a 91.. damn I can't wait to try a Treehouse beer....... maybe one day...

4.14/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 4

The Hop Hog is very good....can compete with US West Coaster IPAs. It poured a clear golden with thin white head that is leaving a nice lace down the glass. The scent is bitter with touches of pine. The taste is very well balanced with slight bitterness at the end. The mouthfeel is lighter in body with smooth carbonation. Overall a very good beer....worth a try.

4.25/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

With the addition of a heavy dose of American Hops during both during the boil and late in the fermenting stage, Hop Hog produces a strong pine needle and citrus aroma, followed by an aggressive bitterness and a dry finish.

4.33/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Format: Standard brown 330 ml brown bottle in to 250 ml snifter.

Look: Bottle looks great. Indie retro look label appeals to all ages.
Pours a hazy dark amber. 1 full thumb of head that persists for quite a while.
I'm getting excited.

Smell: Interesting smell. Citrus, malt and biscuit. Not overpowering considering its an IPA.

Taste: As above. Not so much citrus on the pallet as biscuit and malt. Leaves a fantastic aftertaste in the back of your face.

Feel: smooth, almost creamy. Not cloying at all. Lays thick on your tongue and you can feel the 5.8 ABV.

Overall: I cant fault anything about this beer except maybe they've surely brewed this as a session IPA and due to personal preference I love a Strong, over hopped IPA. Beautiful brew though.

4.13/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

It pours nice and clear with a light golden colour. Nothing too special about the look, the real thing to remember about this beer is the smell. Beautiful citrus hop aromas that probably smell even better than it tastes. Not that the taste is bad a all again the citrus flavours come through strongly. It isn't overly bitter, there is some malty sweetness that comes through before the hops come for a second visit. I'm a fan and would have it again.

3.97/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

On tap at Young & Jacksons 12 March
3.75 Clear yellow.
4.25 Beautiful and aromatic. Pineapple and gentle pine. Loads of hops.
4 Solid pale ale. Malt base isn't crisp, but full-bodied and sweetish. Aftertaste has got a pleasant hop bite, but the fruit comes through most strongly in the maintaste.
3.75 A bit thin, but quite refreshing.
3.75 Good! I'd have again, but perhaps not go out of the way. A fruit-forward pale ale.

4.3/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Nice light hazy honey colour out of the bottle. Decent head with bit of lacing. Beautiful hoppy aromas dominate the smell with some citrus. Taste has a subtle nice malty sweetness before the bitter hop kick which is what lingers on the palate. Good carbonation and refreshing feel in the mouth before those hops pull your mouth back a little over your teeth. Overall a really good American IPA with full flavour and memorable hop levels. Definitely one I would have (and have) again.

4.71/5  rDev +13.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Exceptional beer.

After returning home to Australia from many years spent in North America, it was very disappointing not having access to top tier IPA's whenever I wanted. This is the only beer (IMO) that comes close to those in North America.

Very similar taste, smell and feel to that of Fat Tug IPA.

Highly recommended.

4.39/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

L: pours an attractive pale gold with a small white head and lacing.
S: smells terrific, big pine and citrus hop notes.
T: has a nice malt content, that gives way to a wash of piney hop, some fruit coming through, a balanced and not aggressive.
F: super easy to drink, a nice amount of carbonation, lingering hops.
O: always good, definitely the best readily available Oz beer.

3.49/5  rDev -16.1%

This was a strange one. Big whack of hop and citrus and late night pub urinal. On tasting I felt it improved, though I now know why they stuck a pig on the label. C'mon, there's a meat taste in there...Not to say I didn't enjoy it. It won't become a regular-run thing, but I do enjoy the cut of its trashy jib.

4.33/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

330ml bottle poured into pint glass 18/3/14

A hazy orange amber with enough clarity to see streams of bubbles working their way up the side, two fingers of foam slowly falls to a thick film leaving a few partial rings followed by random patches

S this one runs the tropical gauntlet, passion fruit, guava, mango, pineapple juice, orange, some pine, slight floral aspect, smells more like fruit juice then beer its unreal, smells so intense, just beautiful

T I'm getting some lemon rind I didn't smell, some malty sweetness but for the most part it's a hop runaway, not quite the juicy goodness the nose had going for it but still a super tasty IPA

M medium bodied, my only complaint is that it foams up rather quickly, just a little grit, lots of fruit juice lingers with some faint pine and orange rind

O what can I say? this one hits the spot and I could put back a 6er without getting board or hammered, well now that I think of it this came in a 4 pack and that might not be enough

well worthy of its placement on the best of Aussie list, I had high hopes and it didn't disappoint at all, in fact this one exceeded my expectations and then some. This would pass as a great IPA anywhere on the planet, I'll be looking for some Feral in the future.

4.42/5  rDev +6.3%

Hop Hog: Australia's highest rated brew on Beeradvocate, at least until Watermelon Warhead - also by Feral - took over... but let's not dwell on a beer I will probably never get to try... even though I love the flavour of watermelons, and I had always wanted to brew a beer with watermelons... it's Hop Hog time, sigh.

Poured from a 330ml bottle into a nonic pint.

A: Presents with a viscous hazed honey body and a mightily frothy beige head that stands proud (and annoyingly so because you just know that you're going to get an Austin Powers 2 style "Belgian dip" when you take that first sip) at 1 inch high.

S: A dynamite aroma of pine, candied orange and lychee hops abound in this delightful ale. There is a malt base of barley with yeast in there somewhere but who the hell could (or would want to) smell past those fantastic hops. Very, very reminiscent of a real American IPA here.

T: The first thing one notices is how even-handed this brew is; it begins with sweet malt/candied orange, then mid-palate there is some pine resin, which follows through to a bitter medicinal hops finish. Overall the palate is a mix of Australian sweetness in the malting with American hops given some room to shine, all without having an over-the-top full-on sharp bitter finish that some American IPA's can suffer from.

M: Light bodied for the style with medium carbonation. There is some slickness as well due to hop resins, which adds its easy drinkability.

D: Not often does an Australian brew come close to the quality of a decent American IPA but this one does, and in my opinion beats a few that I've tried. You could say I'm biased being an Aussie and all but you would be wrong - if anything I'm more critical of Australian brewers than most reviewers and personally I think there's a lot more shit beer being produced in Australia than anywhere else in the world. Macro brewers here know that they can pump out any old crap and the majority of Aussies will put up with it, we are after all a very lackadaisical people. Point is: this beer is damn good, buy it. Now.

Food match: Thai or Vietnamese are two front runners for this brew's affections.

4.58/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Wow, a masterpiece! Incredibly well done!! Poured at a good temperature with a thick, foamy, long lasting, off-white head and some lace. Color is a clear amber with bubble trails. Aroma is fresh hops with pine and grapefruit but not massively along with malt and caramel. Flavor's like nose, with malt sweet, hop bitter, carbonic tang all in harmony. Plus no off qualities. Body/carbonation are perfect. Finish is like flavor, with an average taper, super easy to drink. Have to get more!!

3.8/5  rDev -8.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Drank from a Duvel Tulip, couldn't see a best before date, but it tasted pretty fresh.

A - A nice honey, golden colour, nice tight head, clings to the glass when swirled, cloudy appearance.

S - Pine, grapefruit, pineapple, resiny dank, herbal aromas, getting a slight hint of hot alcohol.

T - The taste delivers what the smell promises, piney, resiny, citrusy flavours on a nice clean biscuity malt base, tastes great. A slight hint of the hot alcohol smell I got is in the taste, but it's very backround.

M - Mouthfeel is great, creamy and sweet in the start which transitions to a nice firm bitter.

O - I've enjoyed this beer on numerous occasions and I always look forward to tasting it, I definitely prefer it on tap if I can get it but the bottled version holds it's own. A classic Aussie craft brew.

4.56/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This beer is very enjoyable and the closest I have found in Australia to Lagunitas IPA (my all time favourite). I pour my IPAs in a glass as I think the aroma will be lost if drank straight from the bottle. It has a nice honey colour that becomes quickly cloudy from the yeast found in the bottle. I would have liked this one filtered but I don't think the yeast detracts from the beer at all.

The bold malts are almost completely fermented allowing for a nice balance with the bittering hops and a pleasant bitter aftertaste without being too overpowering. The aromatic hops have a great deep citrus and pine aroma that is very pungent. The dry hopping is done well.

Overall a great beer and to date my favourite Aussie.

4.27/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

What a fantastic beer!

a - Pours a nice cloudy orange apperance, good carbonation with a fluffy white two finger head.

s - Strong grapefruit, passionfruit and mango aroma, very pleasent!

t - Exactly what an IPA should taste like. Very fruity, very matly, delicious.

m - Rich full cream mouthfell with a slight bitterness making it a very easy to drink IPA.

o - A fantastic beer, will definitely be drinking this again. Would love to try it on tap as I can imagine it would be even better. Would strongly recommend this beer!

3.9/5  rDev -6.3%

A: Pours a cloudy light-orange colour with no sediment visible. Little carbonation. Large off-white ~2 1/2" head. Long retention. Exceptional lacing.

S: Citrus up-front (orange stands out). Passionfruit. Pineapple. Mango. Very appealing tropical-scented beer.

T: Slight malty (syrupy?) sweetness that is quickly replaced with a nice subdued orange/lemon flavour. Maybe a hint of peach in the middle that almost immediately falls away to a welcoming piney flavour along with a grapefruit bitterness that lingers for a short while.

M: Medium body. Feels smooth as it first enters the mouth but then, as it passes the first part of the tongue, it dries the mouth (and part of the throat). Not unpleasant but notable. Carbonation is very subdued (if there at all).

O: A good IPA; if the taste was as good as the smell...this would've been rated much higher. Good for a warm day with some spicy food of any sort. A solid Australian take on the style.

330ml bottle. Opaque pale to deep gold colour with a creamy off-white head which reduced to a thin layer and left decent lacing. Aroma of resin, pine, passionfruit and citrus. Nicely balanced mild sweetness and bitterness. Light to medium bodied, creamy yet sticky texture with a dry, pleasantly bitter finish that lingers. A very decent IPA. 8.

4.68/5  rDev +12.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Great beer!
Worthy of being known as one of the best beers to come out of Australia

Beautiful strong aroma of citrus and melon

Appearance - standard - head retention wasn't great but was out of a bottle so could be better the next bottle I open and obviously would be different off tap.

taste - melon, citrus, orange marmalade, spice and slight honey all come to mind and are all well balanced with a nice bitterness to finish it.

Overall - a great beer that is well balanced and extremely tasty and enjoyable - very sessionable!

4.4/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Beautiful dense creamy head. Orange hue. Relatively clear. Yeast in the bottom of the bottle.
S: Tons of pine and citrus (grapefruit and lime).
T: Awesome hop flavour of pine and citrus. Very smooth bitterness.
M: Great crisp dry finish.
O: Awesome beer. Probably beating an old drum but this has to be the best IPA in Australia.

4.55/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

As a dark stout lover, I was a little leary of most ales. Feral hit Hop Hog just right.

This starts as a clean pour with a great white head, about 1 inch in the pint glass.
The head lasts a little while but gradually fades,
But the smell is hops, hops and more hops. Damn, this smells good! And it tastes just as good. Crisp, sharp, yet surprisingly rich for such a golden ale (I know, it is an IPA). Great hops taste matches its smell. my tongue had a difficult time picking up other flavors, some citrus, mild and just enough to add a little sweetness to the brew.

The mouth feel makes this an easy to drink beer, and little after taste.

I have had this brew on tap several times as well as in their 4-pack bottled (purchased at Freo Doctor). The bottle was just as good as the tap except the citrus seemed a bit subdued.
A fantastic IPA. Would love to take some back home with me.

4.07/5  rDev -2.2%

This beer was sent fresh from MrKennedy, major thanks on this one! The beer poured out as a nice looking orange gold color that had an average sized head. The lacing is sticky and has a good solid retention as well. The smell is awesome, I pick up aromas of Orange, Grapefruits and Peach... it's such a fresh smelling beer. The taste of the beer is good but not as powerful as the nose. There is some piney flavors with a hint of lemon in there mixed with a subtle malt backbone. The mouthfeel was a little too thin I thought but it's nicely carbonated and rather refreshing. Overall, Very good beer in my opinion, would drink this one again for sure.

3.95/5  rDev -5%

Bottle: standard 330mL brown bottle, pretty rubbish label. At least it's different though.

Appearance: pours a hazy orange amber with a thick off-white head. Good retention and decent, patchy lacing. Enticing to say the least.

Aroma: up-front strong aromas of tropical fruit hops - lychee, mangoes and peaches. A hint of bread malts rounds out the aroma.

Taste: follows the nose, with an expected whack of citrus hops. Again, the bread malts back up the big hop flavours somewhat.

Aftertaste: astringency starts to cut across, but the American IPA levels of hops sorts it out.

Mouth feel: medium carbonation, with a thicker body.

Overall: quite a decent IPA, not quite as overdone as a lot of the American IPAs. Quite expensive though, at AU$80 a case. Take it or leave it, I suppose :)

3.61/5  rDev -13.2%

Belated upload. Thanks to MordeciaFunk for sending this through to me in the Australian BIF (along with heaps of other cool stuff).

Pours a nice mango colour. Good head/lacing.

Smell presents a lot of mango character, almost Tripel-like although it does come from hops.

Taste presents a dry hoppy character which is nevertheless well balanced and drinkable.

Mouthfeel is fine, not a whole lot of carb but ok bitterness.

Overall an enjoyable beer. Cheers.

4.64/5  rDev +11.5%

A - Pours a cloudy mid orange with a thick, creamy white head that lasts the distance. One unbroken sheet of lacing encases the glass.

S - Gorgeous tropical fruit hop pungency, mango, passionfruit, pine. Slight bready malt in the back.

T - Follows the nose, big citrusy hops dominate a lesser malt profile, which is overshadowed to a degree but not forgotten. The hops are what I'm after though and this bastard delivers the good stuff.

M - Beautiful full creamy body, moderate carbonation.

O - I thank the world that I have year round access to this sweet nectar and am able to call it my go-to regular.

Hop Hog from Feral Brewing Co.