Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Hop Hog - Feral Brewing Co.

Hop HogHop Hog

Feral Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: brendan13 on 07-06-2008

4.84/5  rDev +16.3%

Wow... just wow.
I'm very new to the entire beer scene in general, this being my first review and I feel little amongst MEN.. lol but I feel I need to shout our this beer first as I believe after sampling over 50 beers so far, this is BY FAR.. the best IPA in Australia I've had so far... even if find better, this will remain a favorite!

It's just balanced. That's it. You can session it (well I can..) no problem. Which might be an issue at 5.8abv but who cares! :) I wish I had 10 more sitting in front of me right now... they would be scared.. very scared!

I'm a newbie so what do I know about taste right?
but I'll give my 2c anyways..
look =4 cos I think it could be much danker than it currently looks. maybe on tap it's different? idk
smell=5 ooo yeh! that was the first thing that I noticed.... I was like.. wow.. that smells nice. I hope it tastes that good.. very fruity but not over the top.
taste=5 well I can't rate any lower, .. what else do I know :)
feel=5 it feel nice. reeeeeal nice!
over the all...=4.5 as I suspect there is probably much better.. I know there is better right? why else would it score only a 91.. damn I can't wait to try a Treehouse beer....... maybe one day...

4.71/5  rDev +13.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Exceptional beer.

After returning home to Australia from many years spent in North America, it was very disappointing not having access to top tier IPA's whenever I wanted. This is the only beer (IMO) that comes close to those in North America.

Very similar taste, smell and feel to that of Fat Tug IPA.

Highly recommended.

4.68/5  rDev +12.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Great beer!
Worthy of being known as one of the best beers to come out of Australia

Beautiful strong aroma of citrus and melon

Appearance - standard - head retention wasn't great but was out of a bottle so could be better the next bottle I open and obviously would be different off tap.

taste - melon, citrus, orange marmalade, spice and slight honey all come to mind and are all well balanced with a nice bitterness to finish it.

Overall - a great beer that is well balanced and extremely tasty and enjoyable - very sessionable!

4.64/5  rDev +11.5%

A - Pours a cloudy mid orange with a thick, creamy white head that lasts the distance. One unbroken sheet of lacing encases the glass.

S - Gorgeous tropical fruit hop pungency, mango, passionfruit, pine. Slight bready malt in the back.

T - Follows the nose, big citrusy hops dominate a lesser malt profile, which is overshadowed to a degree but not forgotten. The hops are what I'm after though and this bastard delivers the good stuff.

M - Beautiful full creamy body, moderate carbonation.

O - I thank the world that I have year round access to this sweet nectar and am able to call it my go-to regular.

4.6/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Wow! Lives up to the hype for sure.

Middle of the road appearance where others come up a bit too dark.

Great citrus hoppy aroma which is absolutely backed up with bitterness. A very good example of the style and very well add.

Stoked that the New Sydney was able to score a few kegs and no surprise that is the place I get to have my first Hop Hog. Excellent.

4.58/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Wow, a masterpiece! Incredibly well done!! Poured at a good temperature with a thick, foamy, long lasting, off-white head and some lace. Color is a clear amber with bubble trails. Aroma is fresh hops with pine and grapefruit but not massively along with malt and caramel. Flavor's like nose, with malt sweet, hop bitter, carbonic tang all in harmony. Plus no off qualities. Body/carbonation are perfect. Finish is like flavor, with an average taper, super easy to drink. Have to get more!!

4.57/5  rDev +9.9%

This beer pours a deep see thur copper hue with nice carbonation that leaves a one finger creamy head with very nice sticky lacing,the aroma is outstanding straight out pine needles,passionfruit and lychee,the taste of this is definately worth the visit here it starts off with a very nice above average creamy mouthfeel with a pleasant stonefruity start and finishes with a nice hint of gentle passionfruit flavoured bitterness,this is is definately a standout beer and makes me feel proud of the way this country is headed mircobrew wise way and my only real complaint is that it is not bottled.

4.56/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This beer is very enjoyable and the closest I have found in Australia to Lagunitas IPA (my all time favourite). I pour my IPAs in a glass as I think the aroma will be lost if drank straight from the bottle. It has a nice honey colour that becomes quickly cloudy from the yeast found in the bottle. I would have liked this one filtered but I don't think the yeast detracts from the beer at all.

The bold malts are almost completely fermented allowing for a nice balance with the bittering hops and a pleasant bitter aftertaste without being too overpowering. The aromatic hops have a great deep citrus and pine aroma that is very pungent. The dry hopping is done well.

Overall a great beer and to date my favourite Aussie.

4.55/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

As a dark stout lover, I was a little leary of most ales. Feral hit Hop Hog just right.

This starts as a clean pour with a great white head, about 1 inch in the pint glass.
The head lasts a little while but gradually fades,
But the smell is hops, hops and more hops. Damn, this smells good! And it tastes just as good. Crisp, sharp, yet surprisingly rich for such a golden ale (I know, it is an IPA). Great hops taste matches its smell. my tongue had a difficult time picking up other flavors, some citrus, mild and just enough to add a little sweetness to the brew.

The mouth feel makes this an easy to drink beer, and little after taste.

I have had this brew on tap several times as well as in their 4-pack bottled (purchased at Freo Doctor). The bottle was just as good as the tap except the citrus seemed a bit subdued.
A fantastic IPA. Would love to take some back home with me.

4.5/5  rDev +8.2%

Thanks to jonno79 for the trade!

Bright candy orange color, nice dense head.

Big citrusy nose. My wife said, "Smells like dish soap". Yes, nice.

Full tropical hop notes with a distinct pineapple-weed flavor. Loads of candied fruits (but not too sweet) with bitter-kisses. Not sappy, but the fruitiness lingers into a clean finish. A really great hop-forward beer that was quite session-able at 5.8% ABV.

4.47/5  rDev +7.5%

I have finally found a tap-only beer that is so amazing that it has forced me to do my first ever on-tap review:

Apperance - Beautiful clear amber, fairly small head with good retention.

Smell - Wow! I've had plenty of beers with strong citrus esters in the odour before, but this one really blew me away. Loads of passionfruit, kiwi fruit and orange.

Taste - The flavour is almost as amazing as the smell. Very fruity, pretty bitter, but certainly not too bitter.

Mouthfeel - Good carbonation and texture.

Drinkability - More sessionable than most IPAs.

Overall - This is now definitely my favourite currently available WA beer. Absolutely brilliant - this is a must try.

4.44/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

On tap at the local taphouse 15/11/09.

A) Fairly unimpressive appearance at first glance, however I grew to appreciate the clear amber appearance once I had a sniff of it.

S) Aroma shows potent pine and citruss hops, with just a hint of pineapple or perhaps passionfruit.

T) Wow. Perhaps the best IPA I have tasted. Only one that might compare is the 1516 victory hop devil clone. Anyway, the taste was dominated by fruity hops. Perfect amount of bitterness which was held in fine balance by very restrained sweet malts.

D) Well I was able to put away 3 pints of this over the course of a fairly long lunch without feeling overwhelmed at all. Simply delicious with just enough malt in there to prevent the hops from detracting from the drinkability at all.

Why this beer is not bottled is something that really puzzles me. Simply amazing. Murrays Icon is the only Australian beer I can think of that comes close to equalling the enjoyment I got from this beer.

What a great beer to start my first review on!!!

Should be noted: Have tasted quite a few better/equal IPA's since then. That being said - I doubt an IPA can get much better than this.

Second edit: IPA's can get better than this. However, still a good beer. Just waiting on a aus brewer to come out with a cracking west coast hop bomb so i can try it fresh and juicy!!!

4.42/5  rDev +6.3%

Hop Hog: Australia's highest rated brew on Beeradvocate, at least until Watermelon Warhead - also by Feral - took over... but let's not dwell on a beer I will probably never get to try... even though I love the flavour of watermelons, and I had always wanted to brew a beer with watermelons... it's Hop Hog time, sigh.

Poured from a 330ml bottle into a nonic pint.

A: Presents with a viscous hazed honey body and a mightily frothy beige head that stands proud (and annoyingly so because you just know that you're going to get an Austin Powers 2 style "Belgian dip" when you take that first sip) at 1 inch high.

S: A dynamite aroma of pine, candied orange and lychee hops abound in this delightful ale. There is a malt base of barley with yeast in there somewhere but who the hell could (or would want to) smell past those fantastic hops. Very, very reminiscent of a real American IPA here.

T: The first thing one notices is how even-handed this brew is; it begins with sweet malt/candied orange, then mid-palate there is some pine resin, which follows through to a bitter medicinal hops finish. Overall the palate is a mix of Australian sweetness in the malting with American hops given some room to shine, all without having an over-the-top full-on sharp bitter finish that some American IPA's can suffer from.

M: Light bodied for the style with medium carbonation. There is some slickness as well due to hop resins, which adds its easy drinkability.

D: Not often does an Australian brew come close to the quality of a decent American IPA but this one does, and in my opinion beats a few that I've tried. You could say I'm biased being an Aussie and all but you would be wrong - if anything I'm more critical of Australian brewers than most reviewers and personally I think there's a lot more shit beer being produced in Australia than anywhere else in the world. Macro brewers here know that they can pump out any old crap and the majority of Aussies will put up with it, we are after all a very lackadaisical people. Point is: this beer is damn good, buy it. Now.

Food match: Thai or Vietnamese are two front runners for this brew's affections.

4.4/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Beautiful dense creamy head. Orange hue. Relatively clear. Yeast in the bottom of the bottle.
S: Tons of pine and citrus (grapefruit and lime).
T: Awesome hop flavour of pine and citrus. Very smooth bitterness.
M: Great crisp dry finish.
O: Awesome beer. Probably beating an old drum but this has to be the best IPA in Australia.

4.39/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

L: pours an attractive pale gold with a small white head and lacing.
S: smells terrific, big pine and citrus hop notes.
T: has a nice malt content, that gives way to a wash of piney hop, some fruit coming through, a balanced and not aggressive.
F: super easy to drink, a nice amount of carbonation, lingering hops.
O: always good, definitely the best readily available Oz beer.

4.37/5  rDev +5%

Good to see money spent wisely. One label only, no neck or back labels with the usual indulgent spiel.

a) Heavy set, off-white sudsy head. Mostly clear, slight bubbling, pale amber to dark gold.

s) Passionfruit seed / guava, pale & crystal malts. Rich & promising.

t) Passionfruit & pawpaw, pine resin and 'soap shop' esters. Long tropical fruit flavours, big bitterness. Later hints of grapefruit & lemon.

m) Rich, almost slick. Effervesces in the mouth like moonrocks. Rich, long mouth coating. The hops give a tingly numbness to the lips and tip of the tongue.

o) Best of its class in this country, stacking up well against benchmarsk such as Torpedo. Outstanding balance, complexity, integration, and persistance.

4.35/5  rDev +4.6%

Appearance - 4.5
Pours an inch of of dense foam head the colour of light cream. The body is somewhere between deep gold and light amber and has great clarity.

Smell - 4.5
Perhaps not quite so pungent as the draught version, yet still an outstandingly hoppy aroma of passionfruit, flowers, citrus and pine needles.

Taste - 4.5
Plenty of malt provides the backbone of this beer, quite sweet at first with a little caramel, but this is promptly overrun by an avalanche of hops. Flavours of pine, passionfruit, citrus, honey and a little mint late on the palate. Finishes dry, bitterness is substantial, though noticeably less than the draught version.

Mouthfeel - 4.0
Medium bodied with moderate to lively carbonation, becoming sticky with warmth.

Drinkability - 4.0
No session beer, but an outstanding IPA and definitely a regular buy for me.

Although brewed in Australia I have always thought Hop Hog to be a textbook American style IPA. Interestingly, I think the bottled version is a little less impressive than on-draught, yet possibly a little more drinkable. I have scored it higher on this day, yet that is not necessarily an indication that I prefer it. A damn good beer, whatever the serving method.

4.33/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Format: Standard brown 330 ml brown bottle in to 250 ml snifter.

Look: Bottle looks great. Indie retro look label appeals to all ages.
Pours a hazy dark amber. 1 full thumb of head that persists for quite a while.
I'm getting excited.

Smell: Interesting smell. Citrus, malt and biscuit. Not overpowering considering its an IPA.

Taste: As above. Not so much citrus on the pallet as biscuit and malt. Leaves a fantastic aftertaste in the back of your face.

Feel: smooth, almost creamy. Not cloying at all. Lays thick on your tongue and you can feel the 5.8 ABV.

Overall: I cant fault anything about this beer except maybe they've surely brewed this as a session IPA and due to personal preference I love a Strong, over hopped IPA. Beautiful brew though.

look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

330ml bottle poured into pint glass 18/3/14

A hazy orange amber with enough clarity to see streams of bubbles working their way up the side, two fingers of foam slowly falls to a thick film leaving a few partial rings followed by random patches

S this one runs the tropical gauntlet, passion fruit, guava, mango, pineapple juice, orange, some pine, slight floral aspect, smells more like fruit juice then beer its unreal, smells so intense, just beautiful

T I'm getting some lemon rind I didn't smell, some malty sweetness but for the most part it's a hop runaway, not quite the juicy goodness the nose had going for it but still a super tasty IPA

M medium bodied, my only complaint is that it foams up rather quickly, just a little grit, lots of fruit juice lingers with some faint pine and orange rind

O what can I say? this one hits the spot and I could put back a 6er without getting board or hammered, well now that I think of it this came in a 4 pack and that might not be enough

well worthy of its placement on the best of Aussie list, I had high hopes and it didn't disappoint at all, in fact this one exceeded my expectations and then some. This would pass as a great IPA anywhere on the planet, I'll be looking for some Feral in the future.

4.33/5  rDev +4.1%

Pint at Young and Jacksons. From notes.

A - Poured a hazy/cloudy golden colour. One finger of fluffy eggshell head. Good carbonation and pretty decent lace drapes and a half finger of retention.

S - Citrus, grapefruit, grass. Hop forward with lot's of fresh smelling hops. More grass as it warms.

T - Fantastic hop flavours. Really hop forward with tropical fruit, grapefruit, citrus, some grassiness and lot's of passionfruit. Really hop forward but with enough malt character to provide a degree of balance.

M - Good tingly carbonation and a medium body and good bitterness. The carbonation might be a bit strong, but it's alright.

O/D - Another run in with a top class IPA. Lovely and easy to down fast. Probably Australia's best IPA. Great.

4.3/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

On tap at the brewery resteraunt - only time for the one but -
Good strong citrusy bouquet - the strongest I've encountered in an Aussie beer, which carries right through the glass, moderate head and clear body. Reasonbly strong bitterness without being overpowering and good mouthfeel.

I'll have to try more of this - definately a good one!

4.3/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Nice light hazy honey colour out of the bottle. Decent head with bit of lacing. Beautiful hoppy aromas dominate the smell with some citrus. Taste has a subtle nice malty sweetness before the bitter hop kick which is what lingers on the palate. Good carbonation and refreshing feel in the mouth before those hops pull your mouth back a little over your teeth. Overall a really good American IPA with full flavour and memorable hop levels. Definitely one I would have (and have) again.

4.27/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

What a fantastic beer!

a - Pours a nice cloudy orange apperance, good carbonation with a fluffy white two finger head.

s - Strong grapefruit, passionfruit and mango aroma, very pleasent!

t - Exactly what an IPA should taste like. Very fruity, very matly, delicious.

m - Rich full cream mouthfell with a slight bitterness making it a very easy to drink IPA.

o - A fantastic beer, will definitely be drinking this again. Would love to try it on tap as I can imagine it would be even better. Would strongly recommend this beer!

4.25/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

With the addition of a heavy dose of American Hops during both during the boil and late in the fermenting stage, Hop Hog produces a strong pine needle and citrus aroma, followed by an aggressive bitterness and a dry finish.

4.17/5  rDev +0.2%

L- pours a really golden amber, with about 1 centermeter of head, that slowly recedes, but never really goes away. not too bad.

S- this is all sweetness and hops, a little citrusy, a tiny bit of passionfruit. smells damn good.

T-taking a sip, there is just the tiniest bit of malt sweetness before being hit by the hops, tastes exactly like it smells, citrus and passionfruit, before the bitteness kicks in. Here is the only fault i can find. The hop flavour is great and dominant, its just not as bitter as everything else alludes it to be. That said, its the bitterness is very refreshing.

M- Silky smooth, and you can really feel it at the back of the tongue, nice bitter pricklyness to finish.

D- Very drinkable, this tastes great, and that refreshing bitterness just makes you want to take another sip. Really good

Hop Hog from Feral Brewing Co.