Prickly Pear Pale Ale - Lewis & Clark Brewing Company

Prickly Pear Pale AlePrickly Pear Pale Ale

Lewis & Clark Brewing Company visit their website
Montana, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.50% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-18-2002)
Reviews by IPAlot:
IPAlot

4.28/5  rDev +1.4%

I tasted this beer years ago and its unique flavor always stayed with me. I was driving through the west on my way to seattle and enjoying as many local concoctions as possible. Montana is good ground for this type of activity. The Prickly Pear struck me immediately with its unique flavor, that was somewhat fruity and smoky at the same time, but time has faded my memory. I did not rate it as exceptional in any category but it was a delicious beer that I praise for carrying an innovative approach to an acid-test style.

There was also a medium-size Bavarian brewery in an old mining town, but I can't remember the name. My buddy and I took a tour, the owners were most hospitable with both knowledge and samples, the Maibock was magnificently savory.

Update! It was Bayern brewery in Missoula! The mining town had the bar where i first tasted their maibock, in a old converted bank with a gigantic safe in the back where they kept stuff!

10-05-2002 14:28:27 | More by IPAlot

07-25-2014 15:13:12 | More by Captbeerman
Gusler

Arizona

3.5/5  rDev -17.1%

The beer after its release from the 12-ounce brown bottle sets in the glass a slightly hazy gold with a nice crown of white, the left over lace leaves a fine sheet to conceal the glass. Nose is nicely hop floral, sweet malt and the start somewhat sweet with a fair grain presence, top is light to medium in feel. Finish is prickly in acidity, pun intended, the hops pleasingly spicy quite dry aftertaste, and a drinkable beer.

10-04-2004 15:22:13 | More by Gusler
Jameswoody

09-08-2013 01:58:09 | More by Jameswoody
BigBry

Alberta (Canada)

4.13/5  rDev -2.1%

Sampled this one at the Sleeping Giant Tasting Room on our recent montana trip. Very tastey, so decided it was growler-worthy. The growler made it home safe and sound, and beer maintained its carbonation and flavor. Color is light copper with hgold hilghts, nice white creamy yhead. Smells are the typical floral hops of a pale ale. Maybe the name played subconscious tricks, but we could smell citrus, fruits, and yes - pears. Not overly hoppy, well balanced with the sweet malts. Really enjoyed the flavors, hoppy yes, but not over the top. Touch of spiciness added anoth dimension. Very drinkable beer, if I lived closer, this would always be in my growler at home.

10-17-2005 00:33:02 | More by BigBry

Georgia

01-12-2014 13:27:28 | More by Bone313
beernut7

3.5/5  rDev -17.1%

This is a bold American pale ale. A light golden color and spicy Cascade hop aroma introduce a strong Cascade hop flavor. The body is light but smooth. The brew finishes with a lingering bitterness.

08-18-2002 08:16:51 | More by beernut7

07-31-2014 23:50:43 | More by hilgart1
GeneralSpecific

Manitoba (Canada)

4.85/5  rDev +14.9%

Making my annual trek down from the north country and making a stop off I-15 at one my favorite breweries, Lewis & Clark.

I've always loaded up on their Tumbleweed IPA and took the max amount back across the border, but to my delight the Prickly Pear Pale Ale is now in a CAN!!!

This an amazing Pale Ale with just enough hops to keep you coming back and a truly full-bodied mouthfeel with some sweetness as well.

Overall if I had to describe this beer in two-words I would have to say "Hoppy Refreshment", I could see myself switching to this beer during the summer months as I could just drink it all day long.

It says made with real cactus fruit and I asked the bartender but she wasn't sure how much or if it was added in the boil or during fermentation (don't blame her she probably thought I was a super beer geek even asking) but I did google it afterwards and there is some pretty interesting medical research that comes up about it's hangover curing properties so I say the more the merrier.

This is just such a pleasing pale I might just spend my entire border crossing allotment on it this time.

07-08-2014 03:47:25 | More by GeneralSpecific