Tumbleweed IPA - Lewis & Clark Brewing Company

Montana, United States

Beer added by: beernut7 on 08-19-2002

Reviews by MotorCityHopMan:
4.92/5  rDev +12.6%

Stopped at this brewery on my last trip through MT, drove from Yellowstone Park to Glacier Park and this is a great stopping point. I asked the bartender what their best IPA was (they had a few on-tap which I love) and she said "well the Tumbleweed IPA is the most award winning IPA in Montana" so I had to try it.

Glad I did this a real beauty, awesome nose just bursts out of the glass begging you to take your first swig, and the flavor is very balanced with just the right amount of bitterness to complement the nice malty character. Very smooth easy drinking IPA, definitely now in my top 5 IPAs. I bought 2 cases to take home to my Hop Lovin friends.

BTW The brewery itself is an experience so make sure you have a few hours to truly enjoy this place and their wonderful beers. (785 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -19.9%

4.8/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.5/5  rDev +3%

3.42/5  rDev -21.7%

Draft @ the Brewpub, Helena, MT.
Pours a pale amber color with a small off-white head.
Has a fruity malty hoppy grapefruit aroma.
Fruity malty hoppy bitter citrus flavor with some hints of pine needles.
Has a fruity malty hoppy bitter citrus finish. (252 characters)

3.25/5  rDev -25.6%

4.17/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Appearance - Pours slightly hazy and a dark orange copper color with a sandstone, 2-finger head. Good retention, breaking down to a thin layer across the top while the lace clings in broken sheets upon the side of the glass.

Smell - Floral notes hit the nose first, with lesser citrus and a bit of wood. Fair caramel undertone.

Taste - Follows the nose. Floral character supported by lesser wood notes. Bitterness creeps in mid-taste with a grapefruit rind quality. Malt backbone sits firmly beneath with caramel flavor. The finish is of bittersweet balance with a lingering rind aftertaste.

Mouthfeel - Medium-bodied with moderate carbonation. Slick texture gives way to a semi-dry finish.

Overall - Mmmm. Tasty. Reminds me quite a bit of the Rogue Yellow Snow IPA with that floral/woody hop combo. I may just have to hit up store tomorrow and bring a sixer with me back to California! :) (893 characters)

4.17/5  rDev -4.6%

I really enjoyed Tumbleweed IPA, and will seek it out again when I get the chance. My assessment: fresh, clean, refreshing, bright and pleasantly bitter, just as an IPA should be, but not in a hit you over the head kind of a way. Definitely worth drinking. (256 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +8.7%

4.7/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Well deserved accolades for this Montana IPA. Much smoother and more drinkable than the heavy-metal artwork of the can might initially suggest. Crisp, clean, pine-like. The beer equivalent of stumbling onto a fresh mountain spring after rolling around the desert floor your whole life. (285 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +5.7%

I'm not sure if this is called Tumbleweed IPA because it contains tumbleweed, or because tumbleweeds like it. But I don't care because it's delicious.

I had this really interesting and enjoyable brew in a can at a party. It's definitely an IPA, but has a really complex flavor profile that I liked, would definitely try again (I'd love to have it on tap) and would recommend to anyone.

A: Unfortunately, I had this in a can and didn't have a glass handy, so I couldn't really see the beer. I also didn't like the design on the can -- it kind of looks like an energy drink or something. But don't let that fool you.

S: Again, in a can, it was hard to get a good sniff. But it definitely has a hoppy, citrusy, and piney boquet, perhaps with a little brown sugar.

T: The taste is where this beer really shines, and I can honestly say I've never really had a beer quite like this. While I couldn't see the beer, it had a "darker" flavor, with brown sugar and caramel notes lurking in the background. (Other reviews note its copper color -- sounds about right.) But in the foreground was an intriguingly bright and deliciously bitter collision of citrus, pine, and hop flavors. Not that 6.6% is that high, but I feel like the slightly higher alcohol content contributed to the melding of flavors in a positive fashion.

Anyway, I like hoppy beers and IPAs, but I'm kind of tired of other "IPAs" that just pound you with HOPS! This is NOT one of those beers, but it's also unlike any other IPA I've had. The hoppiness is really melded in a great way with the other flavors and the sugars. I would definitely try this beer again if given the chance because I found it both enjoyable and perplexing.

M: Good. Not overly carbonated, very drinkable. Thirst quenching.

O: Really enjoyable and interesting beer (without being a novelty flavor). Great melange of hops, citrus, pine, and caramel flavors. I would definitely order it if I saw it on a menu. (1,949 characters)

4.53/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Thanks to Sholle for this one:

A- pours golden-amber in color, with a two-finger light-tan creamy head, good retention leaves thick lace around the rim.

S- oily hop notes of grass, floral, piney and herbal notes, quite rare to pick out so many different hop profiles. Some toasted malty notes

T- the complexity of hop profiles follow on the palate; piney and floral hops up front, transitions into tart citrus and grassy notes, the finish is slightly sweet with just a touch of toasted malt. Finishes dry with notes of pine, grapefruit juice, and some toasted grain.

M- light carbonation with a medium body provides a smooth and creamy mouthfeel that finishes velvety smooth

O- this is one of the most drinkable full flavored IPA's that I've tried. So many hop flavors, yet nothing overpowers. The grapefruit-like flavor at the end is a perfect finish. I usually only drink one or two ipa's in a sitting, but I could easy go through 6 of these. Solid IPA. (961 characters)

4.25/5  rDev -2.7%

3.81/5  rDev -12.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Can picked up on my Montana travels... Pours a hazy orange/amber with a nice long lasting head... Overall this is an excellent IPA with a pervasive pithy citrus hoppiness in the aroma and the flavor, but it also has a pretty heavy malt presence including some background caramel malt that I personally think distracts from the hops. I like my IPA's more hop forward and the malt playing 2nd fiddle... But my tastes aside, this is a damn good beer.

3.75/4/3.75/3.75/3.75 (470 characters)

I had this awesome brew last week at the Brewhouse in Helena, MT. I plan to visit the brewery as well.

This IPA pours in a goldish color from the tap.

Medium sized white foamy head.

The aroma is citrus like hoppy, fruity and sweet.

A beautifully bodied India Pale Ale.

The malts give this an amazing balance!!

Carbonation was perfect.

When you drink this brew... you just want more and more of it. I've never had a beer that was so close to addicting from the taste alone. Cheers to Tumbleweed and congrats to the brewer!

-Rick (540 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +1.1%

I had this on tap at Montana Ale Works in Bozeman. Never heard it before, but sure glad I took the bartender's advice and tried it!

Appearance was good for an IPA, clear, golden, with a good two-finger head that lasted a long time.

Smell was instantly strong, piney hops and citrus. Good head retention kept the air freshener scents wafting for the whole glass. Taste had a lot of pine, grapefruit and lemon citrus that would linger for a while. Balanced with a little maltiness in the middle. The beer was served in a chilled glass, which probably took away a little of the flavor, but honestly, there was was so much to this beer that I didn't notice it much.

The Tumbleweed had a medium body, typical IPA that did justice to the amazing scent and taste. Overall, a great drinking beer. Hopefully I can find more of it. (830 characters)

4.53/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.25/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.97/5  rDev -9.2%