Tumbleweed IPA - Lewis & Clark Brewing Company

to view more.
Ratings: 101 | Reviews: 41
Reviews by neckbeered:
3.42/5  rDev -20.8%

Draft @ the Brewpub, Helena, MT.
Pours a pale amber color with a small off-white head.
Has a fruity malty hoppy grapefruit aroma.
Fruity malty hoppy bitter citrus flavor with some hints of pine needles.
Has a fruity malty hoppy bitter citrus finish.

4.17/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Appearance - Pours slightly hazy and a dark orange copper color with a sandstone, 2-finger head. Good retention, breaking down to a thin layer across the top while the lace clings in broken sheets upon the side of the glass.

Smell - Floral notes hit the nose first, with lesser citrus and a bit of wood. Fair caramel undertone.

Taste - Follows the nose. Floral character supported by lesser wood notes. Bitterness creeps in mid-taste with a grapefruit rind quality. Malt backbone sits firmly beneath with caramel flavor. The finish is of bittersweet balance with a lingering rind aftertaste.

Mouthfeel - Medium-bodied with moderate carbonation. Slick texture gives way to a semi-dry finish.

Overall - Mmmm. Tasty. Reminds me quite a bit of the Rogue Yellow Snow IPA with that floral/woody hop combo. I may just have to hit up store tomorrow and bring a sixer with me back to California! :)

4.17/5  rDev -3.5%

I really enjoyed Tumbleweed IPA, and will seek it out again when I get the chance. My assessment: fresh, clean, refreshing, bright and pleasantly bitter, just as an IPA should be, but not in a hit you over the head kind of a way. Definitely worth drinking.

4.7/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Well deserved accolades for this Montana IPA. Much smoother and more drinkable than the heavy-metal artwork of the can might initially suggest. Crisp, clean, pine-like. The beer equivalent of stumbling onto a fresh mountain spring after rolling around the desert floor your whole life.

4.62/5  rDev +6.9%

I'm not sure if this is called Tumbleweed IPA because it contains tumbleweed, or because tumbleweeds like it. But I don't care because it's delicious.

I had this really interesting and enjoyable brew in a can at a party. It's definitely an IPA, but has a really complex flavor profile that I liked, would definitely try again (I'd love to have it on tap) and would recommend to anyone.

A: Unfortunately, I had this in a can and didn't have a glass handy, so I couldn't really see the beer. I also didn't like the design on the can -- it kind of looks like an energy drink or something. But don't let that fool you.

S: Again, in a can, it was hard to get a good sniff. But it definitely has a hoppy, citrusy, and piney boquet, perhaps with a little brown sugar.

T: The taste is where this beer really shines, and I can honestly say I've never really had a beer quite like this. While I couldn't see the beer, it had a "darker" flavor, with brown sugar and caramel notes lurking in the background. (Other reviews note its copper color -- sounds about right.) But in the foreground was an intriguingly bright and deliciously bitter collision of citrus, pine, and hop flavors. Not that 6.6% is that high, but I feel like the slightly higher alcohol content contributed to the melding of flavors in a positive fashion.

Anyway, I like hoppy beers and IPAs, but I'm kind of tired of other "IPAs" that just pound you with HOPS! This is NOT one of those beers, but it's also unlike any other IPA I've had. The hoppiness is really melded in a great way with the other flavors and the sugars. I would definitely try this beer again if given the chance because I found it both enjoyable and perplexing.

M: Good. Not overly carbonated, very drinkable. Thirst quenching.

O: Really enjoyable and interesting beer (without being a novelty flavor). Great melange of hops, citrus, pine, and caramel flavors. I would definitely order it if I saw it on a menu.

4.53/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Thanks to Sholle for this one:

A- pours golden-amber in color, with a two-finger light-tan creamy head, good retention leaves thick lace around the rim.

S- oily hop notes of grass, floral, piney and herbal notes, quite rare to pick out so many different hop profiles. Some toasted malty notes

T- the complexity of hop profiles follow on the palate; piney and floral hops up front, transitions into tart citrus and grassy notes, the finish is slightly sweet with just a touch of toasted malt. Finishes dry with notes of pine, grapefruit juice, and some toasted grain.

M- light carbonation with a medium body provides a smooth and creamy mouthfeel that finishes velvety smooth

O- this is one of the most drinkable full flavored IPA's that I've tried. So many hop flavors, yet nothing overpowers. The grapefruit-like flavor at the end is a perfect finish. I usually only drink one or two ipa's in a sitting, but I could easy go through 6 of these. Solid IPA.

4.92/5  rDev +13.9%

Stopped at this brewery on my last trip through MT, drove from Yellowstone Park to Glacier Park and this is a great stopping point. I asked the bartender what their best IPA was (they had a few on-tap which I love) and she said "well the Tumbleweed IPA is the most award winning IPA in Montana" so I had to try it.

Glad I did this a real beauty, awesome nose just bursts out of the glass begging you to take your first swig, and the flavor is very balanced with just the right amount of bitterness to complement the nice malty character. Very smooth easy drinking IPA, definitely now in my top 5 IPAs. I bought 2 cases to take home to my Hop Lovin friends.

BTW The brewery itself is an experience so make sure you have a few hours to truly enjoy this place and their wonderful beers.

I had this awesome brew last week at the Brewhouse in Helena, MT. I plan to visit the brewery as well.

This IPA pours in a goldish color from the tap.

Medium sized white foamy head.

The aroma is citrus like hoppy, fruity and sweet.

A beautifully bodied India Pale Ale.

The malts give this an amazing balance!!

Carbonation was perfect.

When you drink this brew... you just want more and more of it. I've never had a beer that was so close to addicting from the taste alone. Cheers to Tumbleweed and congrats to the brewer!

-Rick

4.42/5  rDev +2.3%

I had this on tap at Montana Ale Works in Bozeman. Never heard it before, but sure glad I took the bartender's advice and tried it!

Appearance was good for an IPA, clear, golden, with a good two-finger head that lasted a long time.

Smell was instantly strong, piney hops and citrus. Good head retention kept the air freshener scents wafting for the whole glass. Taste had a lot of pine, grapefruit and lemon citrus that would linger for a while. Balanced with a little maltiness in the middle. The beer was served in a chilled glass, which probably took away a little of the flavor, but honestly, there was was so much to this beer that I didn't notice it much.

The Tumbleweed had a medium body, typical IPA that did justice to the amazing scent and taste. Overall, a great drinking beer. Hopefully I can find more of it.

3.99/5  rDev -7.6%

Special thanks to MilwaukeeCrusher for delivering us this beer.

A: Two fingers of pillowy cream head top a perfectly clear amber coloured brew with plenty of lacing along the sides of the glass. Constant streams of tight carbonation flow to the top.

S: Upfront scents of pine sap along with grass, sweet malts and carmonalized orange peels.

T: Pronounced hoppy notes of citrus peels, oranges and lemons, at the front end that leads to middles notes of alcohol esters and maltiness. Finishes is a pleasant lingering citrus bitterness.

M: Medium bodied with a smooth finish.

O: This is a very tasty pine forward ipa that provides an excellent balance between hoppiness and maltiness notes. Worth seeking out.

This is without a doubt my favorite beer. Tumbleweed is my go-to IPA and as I've tasted many, I feel qualified to give it a 5-Star review.

A rich copper/caramel color is immediately noticed with a proper head and good retention.

The smell is full of hoppy goodness and tones of citrus; grapefruit. Perhaps even a little bit of sweetness on the nose, suggesting a balance of malts.

The taste is exactly what I look for in an IPA, hop forward with bitterness and a long finish. The mix of hops (Cascade and Centennial) lend themselves to a perfect IPA combination. This, ladies and gentlemen, is as good as it gets.

The mouthfeel is great with proper carbonation and a long finish that stays on the tongue. Each drink makes me want one more.

You have to try it to believe it. Just so damn good!

This is my favorite IPA. Favorite Beer.

4.27/5  rDev -1.2%

Tasted a sampler size at the Sleeping Giant Tasting Room in Helena, on our recent trip through Montana. The brewery has it listed at 80 IBUs and 6.8% alcohol. It is growing in popularity, and posters in the taproom proclaim is now available in bottles (so of course we had to grab a couple (a buck a bottle, can’t go wrong). Pours a deep dark orange, with a short but full white head. Lots of citrus, pine needles, and grapefruit smells hit you in the nose. Sharp and bitter, a real hop monster. Lots of flavor, ctirus, especially the grapefruit override the palate. Lots of bitter bite, left a pleasant bitter hoppy aftertaste. Not for the weak. Don't try tasting anything after, your taastebuds will be burnt.

I'd heard really great things about Tumbleweed and Lewis & Clark Brewing Company from several friends. Being from California, it is not easy to get ones' hands on it though. Well it was my lucky day recently as a buddy had just returned from Montana with a few beautiful cans of Tumbleweed.

So my honest thoughts?

This is a near flawless and perfect IPA in so many ways. I immediately picked up the complex and synergistic aromas from the Centennial, Cascade, and Columbus hops. It really is a nice pungent and unique IPA in this respect. The flavor is outstanding and a significant, crisp, and refreshing bitterness is immediately present but does not linger like so many IPA's do. Then the malty backbone really shines through and you are left with an extremely satisfied palate and a smile on your face! This is the most impressive IPA I have tasted out of a can. I am a big fan of the use of cans but these guys have it down to an art.

Now, I am a brewer myself and am not always easily impressed but I felt compelled to write about Tumbleweed because it is an amazing IPA. However, I especially wanted to review it because I think that it is a downright shame that good Californians (and others of course) cannot enjoy this beer without going to Montana due to a no-exports law! With all the excitement about IPAs and craft brewing I think if more people knew about this beer it would really be exciting for Montana and the entire craft brewing community.

Please let me finish by saying that I am not "willy nilly" about throwing perfect scores around. It's just that for me, this was a spectacular beer that was deeply satisfying and just what I am looking for in an IPA. Crisp, refreshing, tons of hop flavor and aroma, and a solid body to round it out. Perfect....

4.75/5  rDev +10%

awesome beer

4.12/5  rDev -4.6%

Poured in a small pint glass at taproom, day before they officially move the brewery to new dogs.

A: somewhat dark environment, but appears a clear deep copper orange. Delivered with a nice white one inch head. Some splotchy lacing as beer is consumed.

S: wow, big hop flavors dominate. Lots of citrus and piney flavors with only a caramel note. But mostly hops. Nice.

T: on taste, floral hops seem more pronounced, with citrus notes fading to the background. Some faint breadiness in mid taste. Finish is pleasant with a floral, almost earthy note. Bitterness is there, but restrained.

M: medium body, appropriately carbonated.

O: very enjoyable. Had this prior night at a restaurant and it tasted old, so I didn't review. Glad I stopped by the brewery as this is a very solid IPA when fresh.

4.58/5  rDev +6%

This is one of the best IPAs I've had in a can. Still keeps the aroma and bitterness as if it were on tap. High concentration of Cascade & Centennial hops and beautiful amber color. One of the most hoppy, yet still balanced IPAs I've ever had. It's a very hop-forward, piney tasting beer that doesn't ruin your taste buds like some IPAs with 100+ IBUs.

4.44/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12oz. can poured into a pint glass.

A-Bright copper color, abit cloudy. Fluffy 1-plus finger head, lots of sticky lacing. A beautiful pour.

S-Floral hop aroma, there's a hint of pine, and I'm reaching for citrus back there.

T-Hop forward, floral and pine. A touch of malt sweetness rounds out the taste.

M- Good carbonation and medium body. Smooth lingering finish that captures the flavors. Clean, not bitter.

O- A solid American IPA, flavorful and satisfies the hop craving w/o numbing the senses.

4.95/5  rDev +14.6%

I picked up a case of this beer at Cosco in Helena Montana and I never looked back. I especially liked that it comes in a can rather than a bottle. I know that beers won't stay fresh longer in a can.

This tumbleweed IPA is the best beer for smell that I've ever had out of a can. The nose on this has an equal balance of hoppiness and sweetness.

The head that I was able to pour was ever so beautiful.

From the look of it I believe that this is an unfiltered beer. The color is a darkish amberish color.

The mouth feel is a big winner, it has the thickness of the IPA of your dreams.

The taste is a perfect balance of pop sweetness, but definitely not too light on the hops. I like iHoppy Hoppy IPAs and this is one of those.

If there is a perfect IPA this is definitely THAT!

Actually now that I think of it... I believe I bought the Tumble Weed and Vans grocery store. I got a Hef called Miner's Gold at Cosco i think... really good stuff. I think I had to many beers to remember clearly tho :-)

I was lucky enough to enjoy this special beer ON TAP at the brewery in Helena, MT. I was on a trip with my family and I searched for breweries in Helena and Lewis and Clark came up on my phone.

The nose on this puppy is a hop-a-docious... is that a word? It is now. After smelling the Tumbleweed you may even think you have a double IPA in your hand.

The color is light copper and there was a nice head on the pour.

The taste was hop forward with such a clean finish. In my opinion this beer has unbelievable balance and the mouth feel is phenomenal. Just go find one of these and you will see!!!

4.97/5  rDev +15%

I have tried IPA's every where I go and still consider this the best IPA out there. It has great appearance/aroma followed with fantastic hop taste. Was truly excited when they started canning this beer so I could take it anywhere. Highly recommend this beer to all hop heads.

4.06/5  rDev -6%

2/13/05- On Tap at a pub in Bozeman, MT.

Presentation- From the tap into a TumbleWeed IPA glass.

Appearance- Amber pour with a nice 3/4 inch thick creamy head, and nice lacing.

Smell- Nice typical IPA scent. Fairly heavy pine and grapefruit scents.

Taste- Nice flavor balance between the hops and the malt. More grapefruit flavor than pine. Not to bitter.

Mouthfeel- Good carbonation level.

Drinkability- A very drinkable IPA. Not the best, but definitely above average. Good balnaced brew that I would try again when in Montana.

4.13/5  rDev -4.4%

Many thanks to sholle for sending this one!

A - Pours medium amber in color and leaves a sticky lacing ring.

S - Citrus, pine, floral, and some lightly toasted caramel malt.

T - Red grapefruit, floral, and pine bitterness over top of a light caramel base. Finishes out with an assertive one/two punch of grapefruit and pine that lingers for a good long time.

M - Rich medium body and a very dry finish which only intensifies the hops.

O - Balanced to a certain degree with an agressive finish, well brewed and worth checking out.

From notes- well a friend of mine that had made a trip up through Montana this summer told me to make sure I found this small brewery at GABF and try their Tumbleweed IPA...well I'm really glad I did. It was not easy as their both was clear on the far end of the convention center, nice thing though was the lines were shorter up on that end. The folks pouring honestly didn't know much about the beer and I didn't see a brewery rep but they did have some printed info available and I learned this is the most award winning IPA in Montana with several local, regional and state awards for best IPA.
Well let me just say I see why it's won the awards, the beer is really quite amazing and it's the first beer I have given 5s across the board, from nose (amazing blend of piney & citrus) to the color (nice copper) to the mouthfeel (very balanced and full) and taste this IPA is just the complete package.

Needless to say even though there were tons of great IPAs at the GABF I found myself wandering by the L&C booth every time I made a trip to the men's room (lines were unreal) as their booth was near the line.

Can't wait until another friend makes a trip to MT so I can put in an order for a few cases of this IPA now in my top five IPAs.

4.18/5  rDev -3.2%

Strong floral hops aroma before my first sip. Full two-finger head that dissipated in a couple of minutes. Taste was powerful fruity hops without much bitter aftertaste. There was a nice follow-through hint of malt, which was surprising. Extremely refreshing and drinkable without the strongly bitter puckering that makes some IPAs good for only one bottle. Definitely in my current top 10 of IPAs - it's easy to see why it has won some awards.

4.2/5  rDev -2.8%

I have never met an IPA with an estimated alcohol content lower than the same breweries American pale offering. There is a light grassy aroma to this beer. The flavors include a huge spicy bitterness and a nice smooth malt balance. Neither quality overshadows the other. Award winning, I can see why.

to view more.