Tumbleweed IPA - Lewis & Clark Brewing Company

Tumbleweed IPATumbleweed IPA

Lewis & Clark Brewing Company visit their website
Montana, United States

(Beer added by: beernut7 on 08-19-2002)

I had this awesome brew last week at the Brewhouse in Helena, MT. I plan to visit the brewery as well.

This IPA pours in a goldish color from the tap.

Medium sized white foamy head.

The aroma is citrus like hoppy, fruity and sweet.

A beautifully bodied India Pale Ale.

The malts give this an amazing balance!!

Carbonation was perfect.

When you drink this brew... you just want more and more of it. I've never had a beer that was so close to addicting from the taste alone. Cheers to Tumbleweed and congrats to the brewer!

-Rick

This is without a doubt my favorite beer. Tumbleweed is my go-to IPA and as I've tasted many, I feel qualified to give it a 5-Star review.

A rich copper/caramel color is immediately noticed with a proper head and good retention.

The smell is full of hoppy goodness and tones of citrus; grapefruit. Perhaps even a little bit of sweetness on the nose, suggesting a balance of malts.

The taste is exactly what I look for in an IPA, hop forward with bitterness and a long finish. The mix of hops (Cascade and Centennial) lend themselves to a perfect IPA combination. This, ladies and gentlemen, is as good as it gets.

The mouthfeel is great with proper carbonation and a long finish that stays on the tongue. Each drink makes me want one more.

You have to try it to believe it. Just so damn good!

This is my favorite IPA. Favorite Beer.

I'd heard really great things about Tumbleweed and Lewis & Clark Brewing Company from several friends. Being from California, it is not easy to get ones' hands on it though. Well it was my lucky day recently as a buddy had just returned from Montana with a few beautiful cans of Tumbleweed.

So my honest thoughts?

This is a near flawless and perfect IPA in so many ways. I immediately picked up the complex and synergistic aromas from the Centennial, Cascade, and Columbus hops. It really is a nice pungent and unique IPA in this respect. The flavor is outstanding and a significant, crisp, and refreshing bitterness is immediately present but does not linger like so many IPA's do. Then the malty backbone really shines through and you are left with an extremely satisfied palate and a smile on your face! This is the most impressive IPA I have tasted out of a can. I am a big fan of the use of cans but these guys have it down to an art.

Now, I am a brewer myself and am not always easily impressed but I felt compelled to write about Tumbleweed because it is an amazing IPA. However, I especially wanted to review it because I think that it is a downright shame that good Californians (and others of course) cannot enjoy this beer without going to Montana due to a no-exports law! With all the excitement about IPAs and craft brewing I think if more people knew about this beer it would really be exciting for Montana and the entire craft brewing community.

Please let me finish by saying that I am not "willy nilly" about throwing perfect scores around. It's just that for me, this was a spectacular beer that was deeply satisfying and just what I am looking for in an IPA. Crisp, refreshing, tons of hop flavor and aroma, and a solid body to round it out. Perfect....

I was lucky enough to enjoy this special beer ON TAP at the brewery in Helena, MT. I was on a trip with my family and I searched for breweries in Helena and Lewis and Clark came up on my phone.

The nose on this puppy is a hop-a-docious... is that a word? It is now. After smelling the Tumbleweed you may even think you have a double IPA in your hand.

The color is light copper and there was a nice head on the pour.

The taste was hop forward with such a clean finish. In my opinion this beer has unbelievable balance and the mouth feel is phenomenal. Just go find one of these and you will see!!!

From notes- well a friend of mine that had made a trip up through Montana this summer told me to make sure I found this small brewery at GABF and try their Tumbleweed IPA...well I'm really glad I did. It was not easy as their both was clear on the far end of the convention center, nice thing though was the lines were shorter up on that end. The folks pouring honestly didn't know much about the beer and I didn't see a brewery rep but they did have some printed info available and I learned this is the most award winning IPA in Montana with several local, regional and state awards for best IPA.
Well let me just say I see why it's won the awards, the beer is really quite amazing and it's the first beer I have given 5s across the board, from nose (amazing blend of piney & citrus) to the color (nice copper) to the mouthfeel (very balanced and full) and taste this IPA is just the complete package.

Needless to say even though there were tons of great IPAs at the GABF I found myself wandering by the L&C booth every time I made a trip to the men's room (lines were unreal) as their booth was near the line.

Can't wait until another friend makes a trip to MT so I can put in an order for a few cases of this IPA now in my top five IPAs.

Best IPA Ive ever had, and probably be my fav forever. Very complex hopy flavor that is very balanced and full flavored, with a wonderful after taste. What I love about this beer is I can drink 6 with no problem when with regular IPA's I can only stand one or two... Of course I never do get to the 6th.... Maybe one day....

Bought In Helena Montana at Vans Thriftway across from Carroll College

Yep that's right my first all 5 rating on a beer. It just deserves it plain and simple.

It is such a balanced IPA that I could see myself drinking it everyday for the rest of my life (if I lived in Montana I guess). I have had hoppier, maltier and more aggressive IPAs (and I enjoy them) but this darn beer just satisfies can after can (lucky to get a case thanks to @winnipegbeergeek).

There are times that I want those extreme IPAs but for my meat & potatoes give me Tumbleweed IPA 3 meals a day!

I love the rich amber color (too many IPAs look like blondes nowadays), the beautiful floral nose and upfront bitterness that just barely lingers after you take a drink.

I can see why this beer is "Montana's Most Award Winning IPA" (from their website)

Cheers to the people responsible for giving me this feeling 24 times I hope to make a trip there next summer and I will be driving so I can load up, even if that means I pay the duty at customs, it will be worth it!

4.98/5  rDev +15%

I have tried IPA's every where I go and still consider this the best IPA out there. It has great appearance/aroma followed with fantastic hop taste. Was truly excited when they started canning this beer so I could take it anywhere. Highly recommend this beer to all hop heads.

4.98/5  rDev +15%

A - The appearance to me is darker than most IPAs, this beer has a darker caramel like color and is very inviting. So looking at it, you may expect something malty

S - First of all thanks to my friend Fred for bringing me this can of Tumbleweed I pop open the can and the aroma coming out of the small hole immediately grabs my attention I can't wait pour it into glass and actually experience this aroma in a glass. I am not disappointed as the aroma coming from glass is beautiful Cascade and piney hops making me think I'm about to get hit by a large amount of hoppy bitterness.

T - I could go on and on about flavor of this beer… But to make it clear if you're someone who can appreciate a beer like sculpin, flower power, pliny the elder to name a few this beer is right in there with them. To make it clear… True hop lovers need not worry

M -Rarely do you find an IPA with this amount of color, this extra malt creates a beautiful balance with these hops. You actually expect more bitterness from the nose than you actually get, definitely a lot of aroma hops.

Overall - Are you kidding me this is a can of beer by far the top Canned IPA I have ever poured into glass! I hope someday I can get to Montana And try this on draft... I've never had a beer out of a can that is closer to a 5 out of 5

4.98/5  rDev +15%

First off, what a fantastic brew.

I went to the source itself, their newly renovated taproom, and tried out the Tumbleweed as well as their seasonal Red.

The appearance was between amber and gold (just the right amount of caramel malts to give it some color) with a nice frothy head that left good lacings throughout the glass. Amazingly brite for being, I believe, an unfiltered IPA.

Smell was floral and fruity with prominent citrus notes and a touch of sweet malt.

The taste was fantastic. One of the the more balanced IPAs I've had in a while. A solid malt backbone with loads of citrus and floral hop character. Just a touch of earthiness and a bitter finish, leaving the palate ready for another swill. Mouthfeel was a tad on the heavy side for my personal preference, but right there with what an IPA should be, especially around 6.5ABV.

Overall, Lewis and Clark has done an outstanding job with this IPA and it comes as no surprise that is is one of their best sellers in the can. River season here I come! I'll be bringing a few of these along too!

4.95/5  rDev +14.3%

I picked up a case of this beer at Cosco in Helena Montana and I never looked back. I especially liked that it comes in a can rather than a bottle. I know that beers won't stay fresh longer in a can.

This tumbleweed IPA is the best beer for smell that I've ever had out of a can. The nose on this has an equal balance of hoppiness and sweetness.

The head that I was able to pour was ever so beautiful.

From the look of it I believe that this is an unfiltered beer. The color is a darkish amberish color.

The mouth feel is a big winner, it has the thickness of the IPA of your dreams.

The taste is a perfect balance of pop sweetness, but definitely not too light on the hops. I like iHoppy Hoppy IPAs and this is one of those.

If there is a perfect IPA this is definitely THAT!

Actually now that I think of it... I believe I bought the Tumble Weed and Vans grocery store. I got a Hef called Miner's Gold at Cosco i think... really good stuff. I think I had to many beers to remember clearly tho :-)

4.95/5  rDev +14.3%

Wow what a difference a few years makes. I had this beer about 10 years ago and it immediately became one of my all time favorite IPAs period, then I had it a few years ago (on yet another trip through Big Sky Country) and it was just not the same (good but not great). NOW just yesterday my friend brings me a can of the Tumbleweed from his trip through MT and this Baby is Back! Pours with a beautiful floral/piney head, nice copper color and the flavor just bursts out on the first swig begging you to take a 2nd. For me the best IPA I've ever had in a can period! Glad to see they have returned to the old recipe or stepped up the brewing process in the past few years. If you get a chance try this IPA as it is one of the most under rated IPAs out there Cheers.

4.93/5  rDev +13.9%

Stopped at this brewery on my last trip through MT, drove from Yellowstone Park to Glacier Park and this is a great stopping point. I asked the bartender what their best IPA was (they had a few on-tap which I love) and she said "well the Tumbleweed IPA is the most award winning IPA in Montana" so I had to try it.

Glad I did this a real beauty, awesome nose just bursts out of the glass begging you to take your first swig, and the flavor is very balanced with just the right amount of bitterness to complement the nice malty character. Very smooth easy drinking IPA, definitely now in my top 5 IPAs. I bought 2 cases to take home to my Hop Lovin friends.

BTW The brewery itself is an experience so make sure you have a few hours to truly enjoy this place and their wonderful beers.

4.83/5  rDev +11.5%

Overall and excellent "west coast style" IPA with heavy presence of Centennial and Cascade hops. I love the way this beer smells and makes you feel you are about to get you head blown-off by hoppiness, just to find out it's got a great smooth flavor and incredible finish.

Won of my top 5 IPA's of all time. BTW I asked the brewery about this beer and found out this is the most award winning IPA in Montana with a Gold Medal at the Great American and more than 10 local and state level awards. It's got the kind of flavor more and more IPAs are moving towards and these guys having been brewing it for over 10 years great job L&C!

awesome beer

4.72/5  rDev +9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Well deserved accolades for this Montana IPA. Much smoother and more drinkable than the heavy-metal artwork of the can might initially suggest. Crisp, clean, pine-like. The beer equivalent of stumbling onto a fresh mountain spring after rolling around the desert floor your whole life.

Tumbleweed IPA from Lewis & Clark Brewing Company