Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Tumbleweed IPA - Lewis & Clark Brewing Company

Tumbleweed IPATumbleweed IPA

Lewis & Clark Brewing Company visit their website
Montana, United States

Beer added by: beernut7 on 08-19-2002

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
2.28/5  rDev -44.9%

Poured from a week old can into a glass. Not much of a nose, caramel malty sweet with very light hops. Tastes like a light version of Hopslam lacking the booze.

Received this can fresh from a friend. Poured a dark amber color. Immediately smelled dark fruits and a bit of bathroom cleanser. This beer was incredibly malty with a remarkably dull hop character. Maybe it was just an off can, but this was very disappointing and really lacked any characteristics that you would expect from any style of IPA.

3.81/5  rDev -8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Can picked up on my Montana travels... Pours a hazy orange/amber with a nice long lasting head... Overall this is an excellent IPA with a pervasive pithy citrus hoppiness in the aroma and the flavor, but it also has a pretty heavy malt presence including some background caramel malt that I personally think distracts from the hops. I like my IPA's more hop forward and the malt playing 2nd fiddle... But my tastes aside, this is a damn good beer.

4.37/5  rDev +5.6%

Poured from can into a pint glass

Appearance – The beer pours a super deep amber color with a three finger head of thick white foam. The head has a decent level of retention, slowly fading to leave a good level of foamy lace on the sides of the glass.

Smell – The aroma of the beer is rather heavy of a fantastic blend of citrus hop mixed with some grass and a good showing of an earthy hop smell. Mixed with this fantastic blend of hop aromas are some other smells of a light bready nature and a little bit of a light fruit smell. Overall the aroma is fantastic of a fresh hop smell.

Taste – The taste begins with a sweeter and more bready flavor with the sweet being of a nice tropical and lighter fruit flavor of apple and pear. There is a good level of hop right upfront, with a nice grapefruit and tropical fruit hop taste. As the taste advances the bready and sweet increase ever so slightly, but the increase in these is light in comparison to the increase in the hop flavors. The increase in the hop comes largely from a mix of herbal and earthy hop tastes, but contains so more light hints of grapefruit and a little bit of a grassy hop taste. In the end, with the fruit and bready fading a little bit and all the hop getting even more potent and slightly drier, one is left with a super flavorful and nicely hop blended hop taste to linger on the tongue

Mouthfeel –The body of the beer is on the slightly thicker and chewier side with a carbonation level that is on the slightly lower side. Both are fantastic for the nice blend of hop and malt creating a very flavorful and nice sipping brew overall.

Overall – This is a fantastic IPA. It has a great flavor blend of hop, sweet, and malt with a super nice flavor profile and yet still easy drinking feel. This is a nice one.

4.17/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Appearance - Pours slightly hazy and a dark orange copper color with a sandstone, 2-finger head. Good retention, breaking down to a thin layer across the top while the lace clings in broken sheets upon the side of the glass.

Smell - Floral notes hit the nose first, with lesser citrus and a bit of wood. Fair caramel undertone.

Taste - Follows the nose. Floral character supported by lesser wood notes. Bitterness creeps in mid-taste with a grapefruit rind quality. Malt backbone sits firmly beneath with caramel flavor. The finish is of bittersweet balance with a lingering rind aftertaste.

Mouthfeel - Medium-bodied with moderate carbonation. Slick texture gives way to a semi-dry finish.

Overall - Mmmm. Tasty. Reminds me quite a bit of the Rogue Yellow Snow IPA with that floral/woody hop combo. I may just have to hit up store tomorrow and bring a sixer with me back to California! :)

4.08/5  rDev -1.4%

12oz can from a 6-pk purchased in Missoula, Montana, and muled back to Spokane by a friend. According to the sticker, the 6-pk went for $7.99. No freshness dates on any of the cans.

Poured into a Boston Lager glass, this was a chill-hazed copper-amber color, with a big, creamy off-white head that dropped slowly and left lots of lace on the sides of the glass.

Grapefruity and resiny hop aroma. There was a little bit of caramellish malt aroma as well.

Not as bitter as the nose led me to believe, though the hop flavor is a little more complex as well, with some light herbal, grassy notes trailing the citrusy aspects of the taste. In fact, this is surprisingly un-bitter for an IPA. The malts are mostly unobtrusive until near the fadeout, where a mild sweetness comes into play before things end with a hoppy zap to the palate.

Medium bodied, with an oily, resiny mouthfeel.

Not a huge hop bomb, but a very drinkable IPA. While I like it, I don’t quite think it’s worth the score it currently has on BA. Perhaps if I had a fresh glass on draught I’d feel differently, and perhaps the non-dated cans have been sitting in a store or a warehouse for a while.

4.48/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

Honey colored body with a thick, foamy white head. Bold pine and citrus hop aromas and a nice touch of floral notes in the background. Juicy, malty flavors; orange and lemon drops; mild malt notes lurk in the rear; a wonderful buildup of hop bitterness raises slowly through taste and provides a nice, low-key hop bitterness at the finish. Medium bodied; semi-dry finish.

This beer is a hop head's delight. The aroma and flavors just pop with juicy citrus fruit goodness. The malts definitely take a back seat to things yet do there part to add balance and body to the end product. The hop varieties used to create this beauty truly shine and create a very memorable ale experience.

4.98/5  rDev +20.3%

First off, what a fantastic brew.

I went to the source itself, their newly renovated taproom, and tried out the Tumbleweed as well as their seasonal Red.

The appearance was between amber and gold (just the right amount of caramel malts to give it some color) with a nice frothy head that left good lacings throughout the glass. Amazingly brite for being, I believe, an unfiltered IPA.

Smell was floral and fruity with prominent citrus notes and a touch of sweet malt.

The taste was fantastic. One of the the more balanced IPAs I've had in a while. A solid malt backbone with loads of citrus and floral hop character. Just a touch of earthiness and a bitter finish, leaving the palate ready for another swill. Mouthfeel was a tad on the heavy side for my personal preference, but right there with what an IPA should be, especially around 6.5ABV.

Overall, Lewis and Clark has done an outstanding job with this IPA and it comes as no surprise that is is one of their best sellers in the can. River season here I come! I'll be bringing a few of these along too!

4.97/5  rDev +20%

I have tried IPA's every where I go and still consider this the best IPA out there. It has great appearance/aroma followed with fantastic hop taste. Was truly excited when they started canning this beer so I could take it anywhere. Highly recommend this beer to all hop heads.

I had this awesome brew last week at the Brewhouse in Helena, MT. I plan to visit the brewery as well.

This IPA pours in a goldish color from the tap.

Medium sized white foamy head.

The aroma is citrus like hoppy, fruity and sweet.

A beautifully bodied India Pale Ale.

The malts give this an amazing balance!!

Carbonation was perfect.

When you drink this brew... you just want more and more of it. I've never had a beer that was so close to addicting from the taste alone. Cheers to Tumbleweed and congrats to the brewer!

Yep that's right my first all 5 rating on a beer. It just deserves it plain and simple.

It is such a balanced IPA that I could see myself drinking it everyday for the rest of my life (if I lived in Montana I guess). I have had hoppier, maltier and more aggressive IPAs (and I enjoy them) but this darn beer just satisfies can after can (lucky to get a case thanks to @winnipegbeergeek).

There are times that I want those extreme IPAs but for my meat & potatoes give me Tumbleweed IPA 3 meals a day!

I love the rich amber color (too many IPAs look like blondes nowadays), the beautiful floral nose and upfront bitterness that just barely lingers after you take a drink.

I can see why this beer is "Montana's Most Award Winning IPA" (from their website)

Cheers to the people responsible for giving me this feeling 24 times I hope to make a trip there next summer and I will be driving so I can load up, even if that means I pay the duty at customs, it will be worth it!

This is without a doubt my favorite beer. Tumbleweed is my go-to IPA and as I've tasted many, I feel qualified to give it a 5-Star review.

A rich copper/caramel color is immediately noticed with a proper head and good retention.

The smell is full of hoppy goodness and tones of citrus; grapefruit. Perhaps even a little bit of sweetness on the nose, suggesting a balance of malts.

The taste is exactly what I look for in an IPA, hop forward with bitterness and a long finish. The mix of hops (Cascade and Centennial) lend themselves to a perfect IPA combination. This, ladies and gentlemen, is as good as it gets.

The mouthfeel is great with proper carbonation and a long finish that stays on the tongue. Each drink makes me want one more.

You have to try it to believe it. Just so damn good!

This is my favorite IPA. Favorite Beer.

I'd heard really great things about Tumbleweed and Lewis & Clark Brewing Company from several friends. Being from California, it is not easy to get ones' hands on it though. Well it was my lucky day recently as a buddy had just returned from Montana with a few beautiful cans of Tumbleweed.

So my honest thoughts?

This is a near flawless and perfect IPA in so many ways. I immediately picked up the complex and synergistic aromas from the Centennial, Cascade, and Columbus hops. It really is a nice pungent and unique IPA in this respect. The flavor is outstanding and a significant, crisp, and refreshing bitterness is immediately present but does not linger like so many IPA's do. Then the malty backbone really shines through and you are left with an extremely satisfied palate and a smile on your face! This is the most impressive IPA I have tasted out of a can. I am a big fan of the use of cans but these guys have it down to an art.

Now, I am a brewer myself and am not always easily impressed but I felt compelled to write about Tumbleweed because it is an amazing IPA. However, I especially wanted to review it because I think that it is a downright shame that good Californians (and others of course) cannot enjoy this beer without going to Montana due to a no-exports law! With all the excitement about IPAs and craft brewing I think if more people knew about this beer it would really be exciting for Montana and the entire craft brewing community.

Please let me finish by saying that I am not "willy nilly" about throwing perfect scores around. It's just that for me, this was a spectacular beer that was deeply satisfying and just what I am looking for in an IPA. Crisp, refreshing, tons of hop flavor and aroma, and a solid body to round it out. Perfect....

4.43/5  rDev +7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Slow rising two-finger thin foamy crusted head with soapy base. Brew is nicely clear with vibrant red and orange hues. Steady stream of slow bubbles rises. Lacing is not too shabby either. Lasting head.

Tons of pineapple, mango, apricot... A bit sweet. Mild, missing a lot of jump.

Very wet, refreshing, nicely bitter in a wet relaxed way. Pine is sappy and resinous. Fruit is balanced with nice complexity and lasting crisp flavors. Carbonation is perfect, creamy, smooth, easy drinker.

Hands down one of the best IPAs I've ever had... Highly recommended for a warm summer evening, draws the end of a great vacation that pulled me to Montana with some great people. Tumbleweed should be considered at the top of it's class.

3.99/5  rDev -3.6%

Special thanks to MilwaukeeCrusher for delivering us this beer.

A: Two fingers of pillowy cream head top a perfectly clear amber coloured brew with plenty of lacing along the sides of the glass. Constant streams of tight carbonation flow to the top.

S: Upfront scents of pine sap along with grass, sweet malts and carmonalized orange peels.

T: Pronounced hoppy notes of citrus peels, oranges and lemons, at the front end that leads to middles notes of alcohol esters and maltiness. Finishes is a pleasant lingering citrus bitterness.

M: Medium bodied with a smooth finish.

O: This is a very tasty pine forward ipa that provides an excellent balance between hoppiness and maltiness notes. Worth seeking out.

4.64/5  rDev +12.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

This is definitely one of my favorite IPA's out there. Incredibly balanced, hop forward with just enough malt backbone to keep the bitterness in check. It is incredibly easy to drink and can get you into trouble because it goes down so smooth. Luckily it comes in at 6.6% so you can have a few without feeling like someone stomped on your head the next day. The only downfall to this beer would be the availability.... can't get it outside on Montana, the last time I checked.

This is definitely a beer to seek out or trade for!

4.1/5  rDev -1%

Poured out as a nice amber color, the head is head is white, there is a good retention and lacing. The smell is hoppy with hints of earthy malt in the background. The taste is bitter with a subtle sweetness as well. The mouthfeel is smooth with a good carbonation. Overall this beer is pretty solid, definitely a good IPA.

4.13/5  rDev -0.2%

Many thanks to sholle for sending this one!

A - Pours medium amber in color and leaves a sticky lacing ring.

S - Citrus, pine, floral, and some lightly toasted caramel malt.

T - Red grapefruit, floral, and pine bitterness over top of a light caramel base. Finishes out with an assertive one/two punch of grapefruit and pine that lingers for a good long time.

M - Rich medium body and a very dry finish which only intensifies the hops.

O - Balanced to a certain degree with an agressive finish, well brewed and worth checking out.

Best IPA Ive ever had, and probably be my fav forever. Very complex hopy flavor that is very balanced and full flavored, with a wonderful after taste. What I love about this beer is I can drink 6 with no problem when with regular IPA's I can only stand one or two... Of course I never do get to the 6th.... Maybe one day....

Bought In Helena Montana at Vans Thriftway across from Carroll College

4.53/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Thanks to Sholle for this one:

A- pours golden-amber in color, with a two-finger light-tan creamy head, good retention leaves thick lace around the rim.

S- oily hop notes of grass, floral, piney and herbal notes, quite rare to pick out so many different hop profiles. Some toasted malty notes

T- the complexity of hop profiles follow on the palate; piney and floral hops up front, transitions into tart citrus and grassy notes, the finish is slightly sweet with just a touch of toasted malt. Finishes dry with notes of pine, grapefruit juice, and some toasted grain.

M- light carbonation with a medium body provides a smooth and creamy mouthfeel that finishes velvety smooth

O- this is one of the most drinkable full flavored IPA's that I've tried. So many hop flavors, yet nothing overpowers. The grapefruit-like flavor at the end is a perfect finish. I usually only drink one or two ipa's in a sitting, but I could easy go through 6 of these. Solid IPA.

4.25/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A: Deep, clear amber with a big fluffy head. Excellent lacing and retention.

S: Big, floral citrus/grapefruit with pine and some spice and toasty, caramel malt to add complexity.

T/M: Ample, smooth bitterness up front with floral citrus, peach, and pine resin. The malt is well represented, nice caramel and bready biscuit notes, but not to sweet. Very neutral yeast profile aside from some light, citrus esters that meld with the hops. The mouthfeel is extremely smooth and the carbonation is spot on.

Overall: Amazed by this one, easily the best Montana brewed beer I have had. Perfect balance for the style, and a big, smooth hop character. I hope to see this in cans more often, but if not, Helena is less than an hour and a half away. World-class stuff.

4.44/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12oz. can poured into a pint glass.

A-Bright copper color, abit cloudy. Fluffy 1-plus finger head, lots of sticky lacing. A beautiful pour.

S-Floral hop aroma, there's a hint of pine, and I'm reaching for citrus back there.

T-Hop forward, floral and pine. A touch of malt sweetness rounds out the taste.

M- Good carbonation and medium body. Smooth lingering finish that captures the flavors. Clean, not bitter.

O- A solid American IPA, flavorful and satisfies the hop craving w/o numbing the senses.

4.55/5  rDev +9.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

A - Sediment on the bottom of the can, but the first pour out is a beautiful crystal clear tangerine gold. Off-white head with nice retention and great lace.

S - Sweet, juicy citrus; orange, nectarine, and a touch of grapefruit.

T - Soft citrus opening of orange marmalade, apricot, and nectarine. Bitter sweet ruby grapefruit center with a light malt backdrop. Lingering bold bitter citrus pith finish.

M - Great mouthfeel. Full to style. Smooth with well balanced carbonation.

O - A stellar citrusy IPA with a great sweet / bitter balance.

4.95/5  rDev +19.6%

I picked up a case of this beer at Cosco in Helena Montana and I never looked back. I especially liked that it comes in a can rather than a bottle. I know that beers won't stay fresh longer in a can.

This tumbleweed IPA is the best beer for smell that I've ever had out of a can. The nose on this has an equal balance of hoppiness and sweetness.

The head that I was able to pour was ever so beautiful.

From the look of it I believe that this is an unfiltered beer. The color is a darkish amberish color.

The mouth feel is a big winner, it has the thickness of the IPA of your dreams.

The taste is a perfect balance of pop sweetness, but definitely not too light on the hops. I like iHoppy Hoppy IPAs and this is one of those.

If there is a perfect IPA this is definitely THAT!

Actually now that I think of it... I believe I bought the Tumble Weed and Vans grocery store. I got a Hef called Miner's Gold at Cosco i think... really good stuff. I think I had to many beers to remember clearly tho :-)

4.92/5  rDev +18.8%

Stopped at this brewery on my last trip through MT, drove from Yellowstone Park to Glacier Park and this is a great stopping point. I asked the bartender what their best IPA was (they had a few on-tap which I love) and she said "well the Tumbleweed IPA is the most award winning IPA in Montana" so I had to try it.

Glad I did this a real beauty, awesome nose just bursts out of the glass begging you to take your first swig, and the flavor is very balanced with just the right amount of bitterness to complement the nice malty character. Very smooth easy drinking IPA, definitely now in my top 5 IPAs. I bought 2 cases to take home to my Hop Lovin friends.

BTW The brewery itself is an experience so make sure you have a few hours to truly enjoy this place and their wonderful beers.

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast