2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Tumbleweed IPA - Lewis & Clark Brewing Company

Tumbleweed IPATumbleweed IPA

Lewis & Clark Brewing Company visit their website
Montana, United States

(Beer added by: beernut7 on 08-19-2002)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Ratings: 66 | Reviews: 36 | Show All Ratings:
GeneralSpecific

Manitoba (Canada)

Yep that's right my first all 5 rating on a beer. It just deserves it plain and simple.

It is such a balanced IPA that I could see myself drinking it everyday for the rest of my life (if I lived in Montana I guess). I have had hoppier, maltier and more aggressive IPAs (and I enjoy them) but this darn beer just satisfies can after can (lucky to get a case thanks to @winnipegbeergeek).

There are times that I want those extreme IPAs but for my meat & potatoes give me Tumbleweed IPA 3 meals a day!

I love the rich amber color (too many IPAs look like blondes nowadays), the beautiful floral nose and upfront bitterness that just barely lingers after you take a drink.

I can see why this beer is "Montana's Most Award Winning IPA" (from their website)

Cheers to the people responsible for giving me this feeling 24 times I hope to make a trip there next summer and I will be driving so I can load up, even if that means I pay the duty at customs, it will be worth it!

10-18-2013 23:35:09 | More by GeneralSpecific
Danismaximus

I'd heard really great things about Tumbleweed and Lewis & Clark Brewing Company from several friends. Being from California, it is not easy to get ones' hands on it though. Well it was my lucky day recently as a buddy had just returned from Montana with a few beautiful cans of Tumbleweed.

So my honest thoughts?

This is a near flawless and perfect IPA in so many ways. I immediately picked up the complex and synergistic aromas from the Centennial, Cascade, and Columbus hops. It really is a nice pungent and unique IPA in this respect. The flavor is outstanding and a significant, crisp, and refreshing bitterness is immediately present but does not linger like so many IPA's do. Then the malty backbone really shines through and you are left with an extremely satisfied palate and a smile on your face! This is the most impressive IPA I have tasted out of a can. I am a big fan of the use of cans but these guys have it down to an art.

Now, I am a brewer myself and am not always easily impressed but I felt compelled to write about Tumbleweed because it is an amazing IPA. However, I especially wanted to review it because I think that it is a downright shame that good Californians (and others of course) cannot enjoy this beer without going to Montana due to a no-exports law! With all the excitement about IPAs and craft brewing I think if more people knew about this beer it would really be exciting for Montana and the entire craft brewing community.

Please let me finish by saying that I am not "willy nilly" about throwing perfect scores around. It's just that for me, this was a spectacular beer that was deeply satisfying and just what I am looking for in an IPA. Crisp, refreshing, tons of hop flavor and aroma, and a solid body to round it out. Perfect....

09-27-2013 05:19:34 | More by Danismaximus
StevePac

4.65/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

This is definitely one of my favorite IPA's out there. Incredibly balanced, hop forward with just enough malt backbone to keep the bitterness in check. It is incredibly easy to drink and can get you into trouble because it goes down so smooth. Luckily it comes in at 6.6% so you can have a few without feeling like someone stomped on your head the next day. The only downfall to this beer would be the availability.... can't get it outside on Montana, the last time I checked.

This is definitely a beer to seek out or trade for!

06-14-2013 18:36:12 | More by StevePac
Knapp85

4.11/5  rDev -5.9%

Poured out as a nice amber color, the head is head is white, there is a good retention and lacing. The smell is hoppy with hints of earthy malt in the background. The taste is bitter with a subtle sweetness as well. The mouthfeel is smooth with a good carbonation. Overall this beer is pretty solid, definitely a good IPA.

05-05-2013 03:19:12 | More by Knapp85
jzeilinger

4.14/5  rDev -5.3%

Many thanks to sholle for sending this one!

A - Pours medium amber in color and leaves a sticky lacing ring.

S - Citrus, pine, floral, and some lightly toasted caramel malt.

T - Red grapefruit, floral, and pine bitterness over top of a light caramel base. Finishes out with an assertive one/two punch of grapefruit and pine that lingers for a good long time.

M - Rich medium body and a very dry finish which only intensifies the hops.

O - Balanced to a certain degree with an agressive finish, well brewed and worth checking out.

05-03-2013 03:28:05 | More by jzeilinger
Immo

Montana

Best IPA Ive ever had, and probably be my fav forever. Very complex hopy flavor that is very balanced and full flavored, with a wonderful after taste. What I love about this beer is I can drink 6 with no problem when with regular IPA's I can only stand one or two... Of course I never do get to the 6th.... Maybe one day....

Bought In Helena Montana at Vans Thriftway across from Carroll College

03-25-2013 01:25:44 | More by Immo
Treyliff

West Virginia

4.56/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Thanks to Sholle for this one:

A- pours golden-amber in color, with a two-finger light-tan creamy head, good retention leaves thick lace around the rim.

S- oily hop notes of grass, floral, piney and herbal notes, quite rare to pick out so many different hop profiles. Some toasted malty notes

T- the complexity of hop profiles follow on the palate; piney and floral hops up front, transitions into tart citrus and grassy notes, the finish is slightly sweet with just a touch of toasted malt. Finishes dry with notes of pine, grapefruit juice, and some toasted grain.

M- light carbonation with a medium body provides a smooth and creamy mouthfeel that finishes velvety smooth

O- this is one of the most drinkable full flavored IPA's that I've tried. So many hop flavors, yet nothing overpowers. The grapefruit-like flavor at the end is a perfect finish. I usually only drink one or two ipa's in a sitting, but I could easy go through 6 of these. Solid IPA.

03-09-2013 23:47:00 | More by Treyliff
Siriusfisherman

4.25/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A: Deep, clear amber with a big fluffy head. Excellent lacing and retention.

S: Big, floral citrus/grapefruit with pine and some spice and toasty, caramel malt to add complexity.

T/M: Ample, smooth bitterness up front with floral citrus, peach, and pine resin. The malt is well represented, nice caramel and bready biscuit notes, but not to sweet. Very neutral yeast profile aside from some light, citrus esters that meld with the hops. The mouthfeel is extremely smooth and the carbonation is spot on.

Overall: Amazed by this one, easily the best Montana brewed beer I have had. Perfect balance for the style, and a big, smooth hop character. I hope to see this in cans more often, but if not, Helena is less than an hour and a half away. World-class stuff.

02-27-2013 03:39:05 | More by Siriusfisherman
NiceTaps

4.45/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12oz. can poured into a pint glass.

A-Bright copper color, abit cloudy. Fluffy 1-plus finger head, lots of sticky lacing. A beautiful pour.

S-Floral hop aroma, there's a hint of pine, and I'm reaching for citrus back there.

T-Hop forward, floral and pine. A touch of malt sweetness rounds out the taste.

M- Good carbonation and medium body. Smooth lingering finish that captures the flavors. Clean, not bitter.

O- A solid American IPA, flavorful and satisfies the hop craving w/o numbing the senses.

02-23-2013 13:33:43 | More by NiceTaps
vfgccp

4.55/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

A - Sediment on the bottom of the can, but the first pour out is a beautiful crystal clear tangerine gold. Off-white head with nice retention and great lace.

S - Sweet, juicy citrus; orange, nectarine, and a touch of grapefruit.

T - Soft citrus opening of orange marmalade, apricot, and nectarine. Bitter sweet ruby grapefruit center with a light malt backdrop. Lingering bold bitter citrus pith finish.

M - Great mouthfeel. Full to style. Smooth with well balanced carbonation.

O - A stellar citrusy IPA with a great sweet / bitter balance.

12-27-2012 22:21:35 | More by vfgccp
hoppyBRO

4.95/5  rDev +13.3%

I picked up a case of this beer at Cosco in Helena Montana and I never looked back. I especially liked that it comes in a can rather than a bottle. I know that beers won't stay fresh longer in a can.

This tumbleweed IPA is the best beer for smell that I've ever had out of a can. The nose on this has an equal balance of hoppiness and sweetness.

The head that I was able to pour was ever so beautiful.

From the look of it I believe that this is an unfiltered beer. The color is a darkish amberish color.

The mouth feel is a big winner, it has the thickness of the IPA of your dreams.

The taste is a perfect balance of pop sweetness, but definitely not too light on the hops. I like iHoppy Hoppy IPAs and this is one of those.

If there is a perfect IPA this is definitely THAT!

Actually now that I think of it... I believe I bought the Tumble Weed and Vans grocery store. I got a Hef called Miner's Gold at Cosco i think... really good stuff. I think I had to many beers to remember clearly tho :-)

12-18-2012 19:45:09 | More by hoppyBRO
FLhopLOVER

4.98/5  rDev +14%

A - The appearance to me is darker than most IPAs, this beer has a darker caramel like color and is very inviting. So looking at it, you may expect something malty

S - First of all thanks to my friend Fred for bringing me this can of Tumbleweed I pop open the can and the aroma coming out of the small hole immediately grabs my attention I can't wait pour it into glass and actually experience this aroma in a glass. I am not disappointed as the aroma coming from glass is beautiful Cascade and piney hops making me think I'm about to get hit by a large amount of hoppy bitterness.

T - I could go on and on about flavor of this beer… But to make it clear if you're someone who can appreciate a beer like sculpin, flower power, pliny the elder to name a few this beer is right in there with them. To make it clear… True hop lovers need not worry

M -Rarely do you find an IPA with this amount of color, this extra malt creates a beautiful balance with these hops. You actually expect more bitterness from the nose than you actually get, definitely a lot of aroma hops.

Overall - Are you kidding me this is a can of beer by far the top Canned IPA I have ever poured into glass! I hope someday I can get to Montana And try this on draft... I've never had a beer out of a can that is closer to a 5 out of 5

11-12-2012 23:07:22 | More by FLhopLOVER
IPAsteveCO

4.95/5  rDev +13.3%

Wow what a difference a few years makes. I had this beer about 10 years ago and it immediately became one of my all time favorite IPAs period, then I had it a few years ago (on yet another trip through Big Sky Country) and it was just not the same (good but not great). NOW just yesterday my friend brings me a can of the Tumbleweed from his trip through MT and this Baby is Back! Pours with a beautiful floral/piney head, nice copper color and the flavor just bursts out on the first swig begging you to take a 2nd. For me the best IPA I've ever had in a can period! Glad to see they have returned to the old recipe or stepped up the brewing process in the past few years. If you get a chance try this IPA as it is one of the most under rated IPAs out there Cheers.

04-11-2012 22:03:18 | More by IPAsteveCO
kstrode

4.18/5  rDev -4.3%

Strong floral hops aroma before my first sip. Full two-finger head that dissipated in a couple of minutes. Taste was powerful fruity hops without much bitter aftertaste. There was a nice follow-through hint of malt, which was surprising. Extremely refreshing and drinkable without the strongly bitter puckering that makes some IPAs good for only one bottle. Definitely in my current top 10 of IPAs - it's easy to see why it has won some awards.

04-10-2012 02:50:58 | More by kstrode
phdirksen

3.8/5  rDev -13%

First of all, the fact that beer can be made from tumbleweeds is impressive in itself and enough to get me to try the beer in the first place. I'm all for invention. What surprised me though was actually how conventional the beer was. It tasted like I would expect an IPA to taste. Despite the slightly mysterious advertised ingredient, there weren't any mysterious or puzzling flavors to speak of. It was pleasantly bitter in a slight way and had a hint of the pine taste I've noticed in many of the beers from the Pacific Northwest or Maine. I'm sure most people would try the first one for the novelty factor of experimenting with something new, but drink a second one (as I did) for the comfort factor of enjoying a drink you already know.

02-03-2012 21:50:41 | More by phdirksen
unclepedro

4.68/5  rDev +7.1%

I'm not sure if this is called Tumbleweed IPA because it contains tumbleweed, or because tumbleweeds like it. But I don't care because it's delicious.

I had this really interesting and enjoyable brew in a can at a party. It's definitely an IPA, but has a really complex flavor profile that I liked, would definitely try again (I'd love to have it on tap) and would recommend to anyone.

A: Unfortunately, I had this in a can and didn't have a glass handy, so I couldn't really see the beer. I also didn't like the design on the can -- it kind of looks like an energy drink or something. But don't let that fool you.

S: Again, in a can, it was hard to get a good sniff. But it definitely has a hoppy, citrusy, and piney boquet, perhaps with a little brown sugar.

T: The taste is where this beer really shines, and I can honestly say I've never really had a beer quite like this. While I couldn't see the beer, it had a "darker" flavor, with brown sugar and caramel notes lurking in the background. (Other reviews note its copper color -- sounds about right.) But in the foreground was an intriguingly bright and deliciously bitter collision of citrus, pine, and hop flavors. Not that 6.6% is that high, but I feel like the slightly higher alcohol content contributed to the melding of flavors in a positive fashion.

Anyway, I like hoppy beers and IPAs, but I'm kind of tired of other "IPAs" that just pound you with HOPS! This is NOT one of those beers, but it's also unlike any other IPA I've had. The hoppiness is really melded in a great way with the other flavors and the sugars. I would definitely try this beer again if given the chance because I found it both enjoyable and perplexing.

M: Good. Not overly carbonated, very drinkable. Thirst quenching.

O: Really enjoyable and interesting beer (without being a novelty flavor). Great melange of hops, citrus, pine, and caramel flavors. I would definitely order it if I saw it on a menu.

01-09-2012 17:55:14 | More by unclepedro
ThirstyMcGee

4.2/5  rDev -3.9%

I really enjoyed Tumbleweed IPA, and will seek it out again when I get the chance. My assessment: fresh, clean, refreshing, bright and pleasantly bitter, just as an IPA should be, but not in a hit you over the head kind of a way. Definitely worth drinking.

01-08-2012 19:35:17 | More by ThirstyMcGee
FreddyKnuckles

4.72/5  rDev +8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Well deserved accolades for this Montana IPA. Much smoother and more drinkable than the heavy-metal artwork of the can might initially suggest. Crisp, clean, pine-like. The beer equivalent of stumbling onto a fresh mountain spring after rolling around the desert floor your whole life.

01-05-2012 22:28:14 | More by FreddyKnuckles
kaleenjean

4.63/5  rDev +5.9%

This is one of the best IPAs I've had in a can. Still keeps the aroma and bitterness as if it were on tap. High concentration of Cascade & Centennial hops and beautiful amber color. One of the most hoppy, yet still balanced IPAs I've ever had. It's a very hop-forward, piney tasting beer that doesn't ruin your taste buds like some IPAs with 100+ IBUs.

01-03-2012 23:15:18 | More by kaleenjean
RedEyePA

4.98/5  rDev +14%

First off, what a fantastic brew.

I went to the source itself, their newly renovated taproom, and tried out the Tumbleweed as well as their seasonal Red.

The appearance was between amber and gold (just the right amount of caramel malts to give it some color) with a nice frothy head that left good lacings throughout the glass. Amazingly brite for being, I believe, an unfiltered IPA.

Smell was floral and fruity with prominent citrus notes and a touch of sweet malt.

The taste was fantastic. One of the the more balanced IPAs I've had in a while. A solid malt backbone with loads of citrus and floral hop character. Just a touch of earthiness and a bitter finish, leaving the palate ready for another swill. Mouthfeel was a tad on the heavy side for my personal preference, but right there with what an IPA should be, especially around 6.5ABV.

Overall, Lewis and Clark has done an outstanding job with this IPA and it comes as no surprise that is is one of their best sellers in the can. River season here I come! I'll be bringing a few of these along too!

03-25-2014 14:04:02 | More by RedEyePA
ruttn

4.98/5  rDev +14%

I have tried IPA's every where I go and still consider this the best IPA out there. It has great appearance/aroma followed with fantastic hop taste. Was truly excited when they started canning this beer so I could take it anywhere. Highly recommend this beer to all hop heads.

02-14-2014 16:21:50 | More by ruttn
RickCardell

Montana

I had this awesome brew last week at the Brewhouse in Helena, MT. I plan to visit the brewery as well.

This IPA pours in a goldish color from the tap.

Medium sized white foamy head.

The aroma is citrus like hoppy, fruity and sweet.

A beautifully bodied India Pale Ale.

The malts give this an amazing balance!!

Carbonation was perfect.

When you drink this brew... you just want more and more of it. I've never had a beer that was so close to addicting from the taste alone. Cheers to Tumbleweed and congrats to the brewer!

-Rick

12-20-2013 21:13:05 | More by RickCardell
dansimo1

Montana

This is without a doubt my favorite beer. Tumbleweed is my go-to IPA and as I've tasted many, I feel qualified to give it a 5-Star review.

A rich copper/caramel color is immediately noticed with a proper head and good retention.

The smell is full of hoppy goodness and tones of citrus; grapefruit. Perhaps even a little bit of sweetness on the nose, suggesting a balance of malts.

The taste is exactly what I look for in an IPA, hop forward with bitterness and a long finish. The mix of hops (Cascade and Centennial) lend themselves to a perfect IPA combination. This, ladies and gentlemen, is as good as it gets.

The mouthfeel is great with proper carbonation and a long finish that stays on the tongue. Each drink makes me want one more.

You have to try it to believe it. Just so damn good!

This is my favorite IPA. Favorite Beer.

10-08-2013 19:27:01 | More by dansimo1
chugalug06

Colorado

4.48/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Slow rising two-finger thin foamy crusted head with soapy base. Brew is nicely clear with vibrant red and orange hues. Steady stream of slow bubbles rises. Lacing is not too shabby either. Lasting head.

Tons of pineapple, mango, apricot... A bit sweet. Mild, missing a lot of jump.

Very wet, refreshing, nicely bitter in a wet relaxed way. Pine is sappy and resinous. Fruit is balanced with nice complexity and lasting crisp flavors. Carbonation is perfect, creamy, smooth, easy drinker.

Hands down one of the best IPAs I've ever had... Highly recommended for a warm summer evening, draws the end of a great vacation that pulled me to Montana with some great people. Tumbleweed should be considered at the top of it's class.

07-15-2013 00:04:14 | More by chugalug06
FondueVoodoo

British Columbia (Canada)

Special thanks to MilwaukeeCrusher for delivering us this beer.

A: Two fingers of pillowy cream head top a perfectly clear amber coloured brew with plenty of lacing along the sides of the glass. Constant streams of tight carbonation flow to the top.

S: Upfront scents of pine sap along with grass, sweet malts and carmonalized orange peels.

T: Pronounced hoppy notes of citrus peels, oranges and lemons, at the front end that leads to middles notes of alcohol esters and maltiness. Finishes is a pleasant lingering citrus bitterness.

M: Medium bodied with a smooth finish.

O: This is a very tasty pine forward ipa that provides an excellent balance between hoppiness and maltiness notes. Worth seeking out.

07-14-2013 21:16:22 | More by FondueVoodoo