2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Tumbleweed IPA - Lewis & Clark Brewing Company

Tumbleweed IPATumbleweed IPA

Lewis & Clark Brewing Company visit their website
Montana, United States

(Beer added by: beernut7 on 08-19-2002)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Ratings: 66 | Reviews: 36 | Show All Ratings:
ruttn

4.98/5  rDev +14%

I have tried IPA's every where I go and still consider this the best IPA out there. It has great appearance/aroma followed with fantastic hop taste. Was truly excited when they started canning this beer so I could take it anywhere. Highly recommend this beer to all hop heads.

02-14-2014 16:21:50 | More by ruttn
RickCardell

Montana

I had this awesome brew last week at the Brewhouse in Helena, MT. I plan to visit the brewery as well.

This IPA pours in a goldish color from the tap.

Medium sized white foamy head.

The aroma is citrus like hoppy, fruity and sweet.

A beautifully bodied India Pale Ale.

The malts give this an amazing balance!!

Carbonation was perfect.

When you drink this brew... you just want more and more of it. I've never had a beer that was so close to addicting from the taste alone. Cheers to Tumbleweed and congrats to the brewer!

-Rick

12-20-2013 21:13:05 | More by RickCardell
dansimo1

Montana

This is without a doubt my favorite beer. Tumbleweed is my go-to IPA and as I've tasted many, I feel qualified to give it a 5-Star review.

A rich copper/caramel color is immediately noticed with a proper head and good retention.

The smell is full of hoppy goodness and tones of citrus; grapefruit. Perhaps even a little bit of sweetness on the nose, suggesting a balance of malts.

The taste is exactly what I look for in an IPA, hop forward with bitterness and a long finish. The mix of hops (Cascade and Centennial) lend themselves to a perfect IPA combination. This, ladies and gentlemen, is as good as it gets.

The mouthfeel is great with proper carbonation and a long finish that stays on the tongue. Each drink makes me want one more.

You have to try it to believe it. Just so damn good!

This is my favorite IPA. Favorite Beer.

10-08-2013 19:27:01 | More by dansimo1
chugalug06

Colorado

4.48/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Slow rising two-finger thin foamy crusted head with soapy base. Brew is nicely clear with vibrant red and orange hues. Steady stream of slow bubbles rises. Lacing is not too shabby either. Lasting head.

Tons of pineapple, mango, apricot... A bit sweet. Mild, missing a lot of jump.

Very wet, refreshing, nicely bitter in a wet relaxed way. Pine is sappy and resinous. Fruit is balanced with nice complexity and lasting crisp flavors. Carbonation is perfect, creamy, smooth, easy drinker.

Hands down one of the best IPAs I've ever had... Highly recommended for a warm summer evening, draws the end of a great vacation that pulled me to Montana with some great people. Tumbleweed should be considered at the top of it's class.

07-15-2013 00:04:14 | More by chugalug06
FondueVoodoo

British Columbia (Canada)

Special thanks to MilwaukeeCrusher for delivering us this beer.

A: Two fingers of pillowy cream head top a perfectly clear amber coloured brew with plenty of lacing along the sides of the glass. Constant streams of tight carbonation flow to the top.

S: Upfront scents of pine sap along with grass, sweet malts and carmonalized orange peels.

T: Pronounced hoppy notes of citrus peels, oranges and lemons, at the front end that leads to middles notes of alcohol esters and maltiness. Finishes is a pleasant lingering citrus bitterness.

M: Medium bodied with a smooth finish.

O: This is a very tasty pine forward ipa that provides an excellent balance between hoppiness and maltiness notes. Worth seeking out.

07-14-2013 21:16:22 | More by FondueVoodoo
MotorCityHopMan

4.93/5  rDev +12.8%

Stopped at this brewery on my last trip through MT, drove from Yellowstone Park to Glacier Park and this is a great stopping point. I asked the bartender what their best IPA was (they had a few on-tap which I love) and she said "well the Tumbleweed IPA is the most award winning IPA in Montana" so I had to try it.

Glad I did this a real beauty, awesome nose just bursts out of the glass begging you to take your first swig, and the flavor is very balanced with just the right amount of bitterness to complement the nice malty character. Very smooth easy drinking IPA, definitely now in my top 5 IPAs. I bought 2 cases to take home to my Hop Lovin friends.

BTW The brewery itself is an experience so make sure you have a few hours to truly enjoy this place and their wonderful beers.

11-28-2012 20:48:14 | More by MotorCityHopMan
BeerManBert

From notes- well a friend of mine that had made a trip up through Montana this summer told me to make sure I found this small brewery at GABF and try their Tumbleweed IPA...well I'm really glad I did. It was not easy as their both was clear on the far end of the convention center, nice thing though was the lines were shorter up on that end. The folks pouring honestly didn't know much about the beer and I didn't see a brewery rep but they did have some printed info available and I learned this is the most award winning IPA in Montana with several local, regional and state awards for best IPA.
Well let me just say I see why it's won the awards, the beer is really quite amazing and it's the first beer I have given 5s across the board, from nose (amazing blend of piney & citrus) to the color (nice copper) to the mouthfeel (very balanced and full) and taste this IPA is just the complete package.

Needless to say even though there were tons of great IPAs at the GABF I found myself wandering by the L&C booth every time I made a trip to the men's room (lines were unreal) as their booth was near the line.

Can't wait until another friend makes a trip to MT so I can put in an order for a few cases of this IPA now in my top five IPAs.

10-15-2012 01:20:51 | More by BeerManBert
fisherdude

I was lucky enough to enjoy this special beer ON TAP at the brewery in Helena, MT. I was on a trip with my family and I searched for breweries in Helena and Lewis and Clark came up on my phone.

The nose on this puppy is a hop-a-docious... is that a word? It is now. After smelling the Tumbleweed you may even think you have a double IPA in your hand.

The color is light copper and there was a nice head on the pour.

The taste was hop forward with such a clean finish. In my opinion this beer has unbelievable balance and the mouth feel is phenomenal. Just go find one of these and you will see!!!

07-26-2011 05:22:44 | More by fisherdude
oregonskibum

Oregon

4.1/5  rDev -6.2%

Poured in a small pint glass at taproom, day before they officially move the brewery to new dogs.

A: somewhat dark environment, but appears a clear deep copper orange. Delivered with a nice white one inch head. Some splotchy lacing as beer is consumed.

S: wow, big hop flavors dominate. Lots of citrus and piney flavors with only a caramel note. But mostly hops. Nice.

T: on taste, floral hops seem more pronounced, with citrus notes fading to the background. Some faint breadiness in mid taste. Finish is pleasant with a floral, almost earthy note. Bitterness is there, but restrained.

M: medium body, appropriately carbonated.

O: very enjoyable. Had this prior night at a restaurant and it tasted old, so I didn't review. Glad I stopped by the brewery as this is a very solid IPA when fresh.

06-08-2011 23:53:42 | More by oregonskibum
IPAmadman

4.83/5  rDev +10.5%

Overall and excellent "west coast style" IPA with heavy presence of Centennial and Cascade hops. I love the way this beer smells and makes you feel you are about to get you head blown-off by hoppiness, just to find out it's got a great smooth flavor and incredible finish.

Won of my top 5 IPA's of all time. BTW I asked the brewery about this beer and found out this is the most award winning IPA in Montana with a Gold Medal at the Great American and more than 10 local and state level awards. It's got the kind of flavor more and more IPAs are moving towards and these guys having been brewing it for over 10 years great job L&C!

01-31-2011 04:26:13 | More by IPAmadman
anders36

Sweden

3.43/5  rDev -21.5%

Draft @ the Brewpub, Helena, MT.
Pours a pale amber color with a small off-white head.
Has a fruity malty hoppy grapefruit aroma.
Fruity malty hoppy bitter citrus flavor with some hints of pine needles.
Has a fruity malty hoppy bitter citrus finish.

11-14-2010 15:36:39 | More by anders36
Inflames

4.03/5  rDev -7.8%

On tap 6/11/10 upstairs at the brewpub.

A bit cloudy looking brew, (unfiltered)? medium amber brew.

Has a full fresh aroma, layers of hop goodness keeps me pulling breaths through my nasal passage.

Great tasty almost chewy beer. There is a thickness that is excellently drinkable here. I wanted to order my second before I finished the first.
For being a hefty brew this beer is so easy to drink, I would suggest this to anyone IPA drinker or not. I love hops, espeacially when they stand out to be noticed. This beer isn't a huge hoppy IPA but this beer finds the perfect hop over malt balance.
If your able to get this brew, do yourself a favor and indulge.

06-15-2010 05:50:00 | More by Inflames
josiahschlender

Oregon

4.43/5  rDev +1.4%

I had this on tap at Montana Ale Works in Bozeman. Never heard it before, but sure glad I took the bartender's advice and tried it!

Appearance was good for an IPA, clear, golden, with a good two-finger head that lasted a long time.

Smell was instantly strong, piney hops and citrus. Good head retention kept the air freshener scents wafting for the whole glass. Taste had a lot of pine, grapefruit and lemon citrus that would linger for a while. Balanced with a little maltiness in the middle. The beer was served in a chilled glass, which probably took away a little of the flavor, but honestly, there was was so much to this beer that I didn't notice it much.

The Tumbleweed had a medium body, typical IPA that did justice to the amazing scent and taste. Overall, a great drinking beer. Hopefully I can find more of it.

06-07-2007 00:03:33 | More by josiahschlender
BigBry

Alberta (Canada)

4.28/5  rDev -2.1%

Tasted a sampler size at the Sleeping Giant Tasting Room in Helena, on our recent trip through Montana. The brewery has it listed at 80 IBUs and 6.8% alcohol. It is growing in popularity, and posters in the taproom proclaim is now available in bottles (so of course we had to grab a couple (a buck a bottle, can’t go wrong). Pours a deep dark orange, with a short but full white head. Lots of citrus, pine needles, and grapefruit smells hit you in the nose. Sharp and bitter, a real hop monster. Lots of flavor, ctirus, especially the grapefruit override the palate. Lots of bitter bite, left a pleasant bitter hoppy aftertaste. Not for the weak. Don't try tasting anything after, your taastebuds will be burnt.

10-17-2005 05:04:49 | More by BigBry
GClarkage

4.05/5  rDev -7.3%

2/13/05- On Tap at a pub in Bozeman, MT.

Presentation- From the tap into a TumbleWeed IPA glass.

Appearance- Amber pour with a nice 3/4 inch thick creamy head, and nice lacing.

Smell- Nice typical IPA scent. Fairly heavy pine and grapefruit scents.

Taste- Nice flavor balance between the hops and the malt. More grapefruit flavor than pine. Not to bitter.

Mouthfeel- Good carbonation level.

Drinkability- A very drinkable IPA. Not the best, but definitely above average. Good balnaced brew that I would try again when in Montana.

02-16-2005 00:48:07 | More by GClarkage
beernut7

4.22/5  rDev -3.4%

I have never met an IPA with an estimated alcohol content lower than the same breweries American pale offering. There is a light grassy aroma to this beer. The flavors include a huge spicy bitterness and a nice smooth malt balance. Neither quality overshadows the other. Award winning, I can see why.

08-19-2002 18:05:16 | More by beernut7