Tumbleweed IPA - Lewis & Clark Brewing Company

Tumbleweed IPATumbleweed IPA

Lewis & Clark Brewing Company visit their website
Montana, United States

(Beer added by: beernut7 on 08-19-2002)

I had this awesome brew last week at the Brewhouse in Helena, MT. I plan to visit the brewery as well.

This IPA pours in a goldish color from the tap.

Medium sized white foamy head.

The aroma is citrus like hoppy, fruity and sweet.

A beautifully bodied India Pale Ale.

The malts give this an amazing balance!!

Carbonation was perfect.

When you drink this brew... you just want more and more of it. I've never had a beer that was so close to addicting from the taste alone. Cheers to Tumbleweed and congrats to the brewer!

-Rick

RickCardell, Dec 20, 2013

BillRoth, Oct 20, 2013

Yep that's right my first all 5 rating on a beer. It just deserves it plain and simple.

It is such a balanced IPA that I could see myself drinking it everyday for the rest of my life (if I lived in Montana I guess). I have had hoppier, maltier and more aggressive IPAs (and I enjoy them) but this darn beer just satisfies can after can (lucky to get a case thanks to @winnipegbeergeek).

There are times that I want those extreme IPAs but for my meat & potatoes give me Tumbleweed IPA 3 meals a day!

I love the rich amber color (too many IPAs look like blondes nowadays), the beautiful floral nose and upfront bitterness that just barely lingers after you take a drink.

I can see why this beer is "Montana's Most Award Winning IPA" (from their website)

Cheers to the people responsible for giving me this feeling 24 times I hope to make a trip there next summer and I will be driving so I can load up, even if that means I pay the duty at customs, it will be worth it!

GeneralSpecific, Oct 19, 2013

shagal, Oct 13, 2013

This is without a doubt my favorite beer. Tumbleweed is my go-to IPA and as I've tasted many, I feel qualified to give it a 5-Star review.

A rich copper/caramel color is immediately noticed with a proper head and good retention.

The smell is full of hoppy goodness and tones of citrus; grapefruit. Perhaps even a little bit of sweetness on the nose, suggesting a balance of malts.

The taste is exactly what I look for in an IPA, hop forward with bitterness and a long finish. The mix of hops (Cascade and Centennial) lend themselves to a perfect IPA combination. This, ladies and gentlemen, is as good as it gets.

The mouthfeel is great with proper carbonation and a long finish that stays on the tongue. Each drink makes me want one more.

You have to try it to believe it. Just so damn good!

This is my favorite IPA. Favorite Beer.

dansimo1, Oct 08, 2013

I'd heard really great things about Tumbleweed and Lewis & Clark Brewing Company from several friends. Being from California, it is not easy to get ones' hands on it though. Well it was my lucky day recently as a buddy had just returned from Montana with a few beautiful cans of Tumbleweed.

So my honest thoughts?

This is a near flawless and perfect IPA in so many ways. I immediately picked up the complex and synergistic aromas from the Centennial, Cascade, and Columbus hops. It really is a nice pungent and unique IPA in this respect. The flavor is outstanding and a significant, crisp, and refreshing bitterness is immediately present but does not linger like so many IPA's do. Then the malty backbone really shines through and you are left with an extremely satisfied palate and a smile on your face! This is the most impressive IPA I have tasted out of a can. I am a big fan of the use of cans but these guys have it down to an art.

Now, I am a brewer myself and am not always easily impressed but I felt compelled to write about Tumbleweed because it is an amazing IPA. However, I especially wanted to review it because I think that it is a downright shame that good Californians (and others of course) cannot enjoy this beer without going to Montana due to a no-exports law! With all the excitement about IPAs and craft brewing I think if more people knew about this beer it would really be exciting for Montana and the entire craft brewing community.

Please let me finish by saying that I am not "willy nilly" about throwing perfect scores around. It's just that for me, this was a spectacular beer that was deeply satisfying and just what I am looking for in an IPA. Crisp, refreshing, tons of hop flavor and aroma, and a solid body to round it out. Perfect....

Danismaximus, Sep 27, 2013

Sark, Sep 10, 2013

beergil, Aug 07, 2013

cgman1985, Aug 03, 2013

Patrick_Miller, Jul 22, 2013
4.48/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Slow rising two-finger thin foamy crusted head with soapy base. Brew is nicely clear with vibrant red and orange hues. Steady stream of slow bubbles rises. Lacing is not too shabby either. Lasting head.

Tons of pineapple, mango, apricot... A bit sweet. Mild, missing a lot of jump.

Very wet, refreshing, nicely bitter in a wet relaxed way. Pine is sappy and resinous. Fruit is balanced with nice complexity and lasting crisp flavors. Carbonation is perfect, creamy, smooth, easy drinker.

Hands down one of the best IPAs I've ever had... Highly recommended for a warm summer evening, draws the end of a great vacation that pulled me to Montana with some great people. Tumbleweed should be considered at the top of it's class.

chugalug06, Jul 15, 2013

Special thanks to MilwaukeeCrusher for delivering us this beer.

A: Two fingers of pillowy cream head top a perfectly clear amber coloured brew with plenty of lacing along the sides of the glass. Constant streams of tight carbonation flow to the top.

S: Upfront scents of pine sap along with grass, sweet malts and carmonalized orange peels.

T: Pronounced hoppy notes of citrus peels, oranges and lemons, at the front end that leads to middles notes of alcohol esters and maltiness. Finishes is a pleasant lingering citrus bitterness.

M: Medium bodied with a smooth finish.

O: This is a very tasty pine forward ipa that provides an excellent balance between hoppiness and maltiness notes. Worth seeking out.

FondueVoodoo, Jul 14, 2013
3.5/5  rDev -19.4%

neckbeered, Jul 07, 2013

SirBentham, Jul 06, 2013
4.75/5  rDev +9.4%

elglueckert, Jun 27, 2013
4.65/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

This is definitely one of my favorite IPA's out there. Incredibly balanced, hop forward with just enough malt backbone to keep the bitterness in check. It is incredibly easy to drink and can get you into trouble because it goes down so smooth. Luckily it comes in at 6.6% so you can have a few without feeling like someone stomped on your head the next day. The only downfall to this beer would be the availability.... can't get it outside on Montana, the last time I checked.

This is definitely a beer to seek out or trade for!

StevePac, Jun 14, 2013
4.75/5  rDev +9.4%

Jameswoody, May 05, 2013
4.11/5  rDev -5.3%

Poured out as a nice amber color, the head is head is white, there is a good retention and lacing. The smell is hoppy with hints of earthy malt in the background. The taste is bitter with a subtle sweetness as well. The mouthfeel is smooth with a good carbonation. Overall this beer is pretty solid, definitely a good IPA.

Knapp85, May 05, 2013
4.14/5  rDev -4.6%

Many thanks to sholle for sending this one!

A - Pours medium amber in color and leaves a sticky lacing ring.

S - Citrus, pine, floral, and some lightly toasted caramel malt.

T - Red grapefruit, floral, and pine bitterness over top of a light caramel base. Finishes out with an assertive one/two punch of grapefruit and pine that lingers for a good long time.

M - Rich medium body and a very dry finish which only intensifies the hops.

O - Balanced to a certain degree with an agressive finish, well brewed and worth checking out.

jzeilinger, May 03, 2013