Tumbleweed IPA - Lewis & Clark Brewing Company

Tumbleweed IPATumbleweed IPA

Lewis & Clark Brewing Company visit their website
Montana, United States

(Beer added by: beernut7 on 08-19-2002)
4.25/5  rDev -2.1%

BYOFB, Apr 02, 2013

Best IPA Ive ever had, and probably be my fav forever. Very complex hopy flavor that is very balanced and full flavored, with a wonderful after taste. What I love about this beer is I can drink 6 with no problem when with regular IPA's I can only stand one or two... Of course I never do get to the 6th.... Maybe one day....

Bought In Helena Montana at Vans Thriftway across from Carroll College

Immo, Mar 25, 2013
3.75/5  rDev -13.6%

oriolesfan4, Mar 24, 2013
4.56/5  rDev +5.1%

Thanks to Sholle for this one:

A- pours golden-amber in color, with a two-finger light-tan creamy head, good retention leaves thick lace around the rim.

S- oily hop notes of grass, floral, piney and herbal notes, quite rare to pick out so many different hop profiles. Some toasted malty notes

T- the complexity of hop profiles follow on the palate; piney and floral hops up front, transitions into tart citrus and grassy notes, the finish is slightly sweet with just a touch of toasted malt. Finishes dry with notes of pine, grapefruit juice, and some toasted grain.

M- light carbonation with a medium body provides a smooth and creamy mouthfeel that finishes velvety smooth

O- this is one of the most drinkable full flavored IPA's that I've tried. So many hop flavors, yet nothing overpowers. The grapefruit-like flavor at the end is a perfect finish. I usually only drink one or two ipa's in a sitting, but I could easy go through 6 of these. Solid IPA.

Treyliff, Mar 09, 2013
4.25/5  rDev -2.1%

A: Deep, clear amber with a big fluffy head. Excellent lacing and retention.

S: Big, floral citrus/grapefruit with pine and some spice and toasty, caramel malt to add complexity.

T/M: Ample, smooth bitterness up front with floral citrus, peach, and pine resin. The malt is well represented, nice caramel and bready biscuit notes, but not to sweet. Very neutral yeast profile aside from some light, citrus esters that meld with the hops. The mouthfeel is extremely smooth and the carbonation is spot on.

Overall: Amazed by this one, easily the best Montana brewed beer I have had. Perfect balance for the style, and a big, smooth hop character. I hope to see this in cans more often, but if not, Helena is less than an hour and a half away. World-class stuff.

Siriusfisherman, Feb 27, 2013
4.45/5  rDev +2.5%

12oz. can poured into a pint glass.

A-Bright copper color, abit cloudy. Fluffy 1-plus finger head, lots of sticky lacing. A beautiful pour.

S-Floral hop aroma, there's a hint of pine, and I'm reaching for citrus back there.

T-Hop forward, floral and pine. A touch of malt sweetness rounds out the taste.

M- Good carbonation and medium body. Smooth lingering finish that captures the flavors. Clean, not bitter.

O- A solid American IPA, flavorful and satisfies the hop craving w/o numbing the senses.

NiceTaps, Feb 23, 2013

3.75/5  rDev -13.6%

duceswild, Feb 20, 2013

oline73, Feb 20, 2013
4.55/5  rDev +4.8%

A - Sediment on the bottom of the can, but the first pour out is a beautiful crystal clear tangerine gold. Off-white head with nice retention and great lace.

S - Sweet, juicy citrus; orange, nectarine, and a touch of grapefruit.

T - Soft citrus opening of orange marmalade, apricot, and nectarine. Bitter sweet ruby grapefruit center with a light malt backdrop. Lingering bold bitter citrus pith finish.

M - Great mouthfeel. Full to style. Smooth with well balanced carbonation.

O - A stellar citrusy IPA with a great sweet / bitter balance.

vfgccp, Dec 27, 2012
4.95/5  rDev +14.1%

I picked up a case of this beer at Cosco in Helena Montana and I never looked back. I especially liked that it comes in a can rather than a bottle. I know that beers won't stay fresh longer in a can.

This tumbleweed IPA is the best beer for smell that I've ever had out of a can. The nose on this has an equal balance of hoppiness and sweetness.

The head that I was able to pour was ever so beautiful.

From the look of it I believe that this is an unfiltered beer. The color is a darkish amberish color.

The mouth feel is a big winner, it has the thickness of the IPA of your dreams.

The taste is a perfect balance of pop sweetness, but definitely not too light on the hops. I like iHoppy Hoppy IPAs and this is one of those.

If there is a perfect IPA this is definitely THAT!

Actually now that I think of it... I believe I bought the Tumble Weed and Vans grocery store. I got a Hef called Miner's Gold at Cosco i think... really good stuff. I think I had to many beers to remember clearly tho :-)

hoppyBRO, Dec 18, 2012
4.93/5  rDev +13.6%

Stopped at this brewery on my last trip through MT, drove from Yellowstone Park to Glacier Park and this is a great stopping point. I asked the bartender what their best IPA was (they had a few on-tap which I love) and she said "well the Tumbleweed IPA is the most award winning IPA in Montana" so I had to try it.

Glad I did this a real beauty, awesome nose just bursts out of the glass begging you to take your first swig, and the flavor is very balanced with just the right amount of bitterness to complement the nice malty character. Very smooth easy drinking IPA, definitely now in my top 5 IPAs. I bought 2 cases to take home to my Hop Lovin friends.

BTW The brewery itself is an experience so make sure you have a few hours to truly enjoy this place and their wonderful beers.

MotorCityHopMan, Nov 28, 2012
4.98/5  rDev +14.7%

A - The appearance to me is darker than most IPAs, this beer has a darker caramel like color and is very inviting. So looking at it, you may expect something malty

S - First of all thanks to my friend Fred for bringing me this can of Tumbleweed I pop open the can and the aroma coming out of the small hole immediately grabs my attention I can't wait pour it into glass and actually experience this aroma in a glass. I am not disappointed as the aroma coming from glass is beautiful Cascade and piney hops making me think I'm about to get hit by a large amount of hoppy bitterness.

T - I could go on and on about flavor of this beer… But to make it clear if you're someone who can appreciate a beer like sculpin, flower power, pliny the elder to name a few this beer is right in there with them. To make it clear… True hop lovers need not worry

M -Rarely do you find an IPA with this amount of color, this extra malt creates a beautiful balance with these hops. You actually expect more bitterness from the nose than you actually get, definitely a lot of aroma hops.

Overall - Are you kidding me this is a can of beer by far the top Canned IPA I have ever poured into glass! I hope someday I can get to Montana And try this on draft... I've never had a beer out of a can that is closer to a 5 out of 5

FLhopLOVER, Nov 12, 2012

From notes- well a friend of mine that had made a trip up through Montana this summer told me to make sure I found this small brewery at GABF and try their Tumbleweed IPA...well I'm really glad I did. It was not easy as their both was clear on the far end of the convention center, nice thing though was the lines were shorter up on that end. The folks pouring honestly didn't know much about the beer and I didn't see a brewery rep but they did have some printed info available and I learned this is the most award winning IPA in Montana with several local, regional and state awards for best IPA.
Well let me just say I see why it's won the awards, the beer is really quite amazing and it's the first beer I have given 5s across the board, from nose (amazing blend of piney & citrus) to the color (nice copper) to the mouthfeel (very balanced and full) and taste this IPA is just the complete package.

Needless to say even though there were tons of great IPAs at the GABF I found myself wandering by the L&C booth every time I made a trip to the men's room (lines were unreal) as their booth was near the line.

Can't wait until another friend makes a trip to MT so I can put in an order for a few cases of this IPA now in my top five IPAs.

BeerManBert, Oct 15, 2012
4.95/5  rDev +14.1%

Wow what a difference a few years makes. I had this beer about 10 years ago and it immediately became one of my all time favorite IPAs period, then I had it a few years ago (on yet another trip through Big Sky Country) and it was just not the same (good but not great). NOW just yesterday my friend brings me a can of the Tumbleweed from his trip through MT and this Baby is Back! Pours with a beautiful floral/piney head, nice copper color and the flavor just bursts out on the first swig begging you to take a 2nd. For me the best IPA I've ever had in a can period! Glad to see they have returned to the old recipe or stepped up the brewing process in the past few years. If you get a chance try this IPA as it is one of the most under rated IPAs out there Cheers.

IPAsteveCO, Apr 11, 2012
4.18/5  rDev -3.7%

Strong floral hops aroma before my first sip. Full two-finger head that dissipated in a couple of minutes. Taste was powerful fruity hops without much bitter aftertaste. There was a nice follow-through hint of malt, which was surprising. Extremely refreshing and drinkable without the strongly bitter puckering that makes some IPAs good for only one bottle. Definitely in my current top 10 of IPAs - it's easy to see why it has won some awards.

kstrode, Apr 10, 2012
3.8/5  rDev -12.4%

First of all, the fact that beer can be made from tumbleweeds is impressive in itself and enough to get me to try the beer in the first place. I'm all for invention. What surprised me though was actually how conventional the beer was. It tasted like I would expect an IPA to taste. Despite the slightly mysterious advertised ingredient, there weren't any mysterious or puzzling flavors to speak of. It was pleasantly bitter in a slight way and had a hint of the pine taste I've noticed in many of the beers from the Pacific Northwest or Maine. I'm sure most people would try the first one for the novelty factor of experimenting with something new, but drink a second one (as I did) for the comfort factor of enjoying a drink you already know.

phdirksen, Feb 03, 2012
4.68/5  rDev +7.8%

I'm not sure if this is called Tumbleweed IPA because it contains tumbleweed, or because tumbleweeds like it. But I don't care because it's delicious.

I had this really interesting and enjoyable brew in a can at a party. It's definitely an IPA, but has a really complex flavor profile that I liked, would definitely try again (I'd love to have it on tap) and would recommend to anyone.

A: Unfortunately, I had this in a can and didn't have a glass handy, so I couldn't really see the beer. I also didn't like the design on the can -- it kind of looks like an energy drink or something. But don't let that fool you.

S: Again, in a can, it was hard to get a good sniff. But it definitely has a hoppy, citrusy, and piney boquet, perhaps with a little brown sugar.

T: The taste is where this beer really shines, and I can honestly say I've never really had a beer quite like this. While I couldn't see the beer, it had a "darker" flavor, with brown sugar and caramel notes lurking in the background. (Other reviews note its copper color -- sounds about right.) But in the foreground was an intriguingly bright and deliciously bitter collision of citrus, pine, and hop flavors. Not that 6.6% is that high, but I feel like the slightly higher alcohol content contributed to the melding of flavors in a positive fashion.

Anyway, I like hoppy beers and IPAs, but I'm kind of tired of other "IPAs" that just pound you with HOPS! This is NOT one of those beers, but it's also unlike any other IPA I've had. The hoppiness is really melded in a great way with the other flavors and the sugars. I would definitely try this beer again if given the chance because I found it both enjoyable and perplexing.

M: Good. Not overly carbonated, very drinkable. Thirst quenching.

O: Really enjoyable and interesting beer (without being a novelty flavor). Great melange of hops, citrus, pine, and caramel flavors. I would definitely order it if I saw it on a menu.

unclepedro, Jan 09, 2012
4.2/5  rDev -3.2%

I really enjoyed Tumbleweed IPA, and will seek it out again when I get the chance. My assessment: fresh, clean, refreshing, bright and pleasantly bitter, just as an IPA should be, but not in a hit you over the head kind of a way. Definitely worth drinking.

ThirstyMcGee, Jan 08, 2012
4.72/5  rDev +8.8%

Well deserved accolades for this Montana IPA. Much smoother and more drinkable than the heavy-metal artwork of the can might initially suggest. Crisp, clean, pine-like. The beer equivalent of stumbling onto a fresh mountain spring after rolling around the desert floor your whole life.

FreddyKnuckles, Jan 05, 2012
4.63/5  rDev +6.7%

This is one of the best IPAs I've had in a can. Still keeps the aroma and bitterness as if it were on tap. High concentration of Cascade & Centennial hops and beautiful amber color. One of the most hoppy, yet still balanced IPAs I've ever had. It's a very hop-forward, piney tasting beer that doesn't ruin your taste buds like some IPAs with 100+ IBUs.

kaleenjean, Jan 03, 2012
4.5/5  rDev +3.7%

GeezLynn, Nov 17, 2011

I was lucky enough to enjoy this special beer ON TAP at the brewery in Helena, MT. I was on a trip with my family and I searched for breweries in Helena and Lewis and Clark came up on my phone.

The nose on this puppy is a hop-a-docious... is that a word? It is now. After smelling the Tumbleweed you may even think you have a double IPA in your hand.

The color is light copper and there was a nice head on the pour.

The taste was hop forward with such a clean finish. In my opinion this beer has unbelievable balance and the mouth feel is phenomenal. Just go find one of these and you will see!!!

fisherdude, Jul 26, 2011