2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Tumbleweed IPA - Lewis & Clark Brewing Company

Tumbleweed IPATumbleweed IPA

Lewis & Clark Brewing Company visit their website
Montana, United States

(Beer added by: beernut7 on 08-19-2002)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Ratings: 66 | Reviews: 36 | Show All Ratings:
Knapp85

4.11/5  rDev -5.9%

Poured out as a nice amber color, the head is head is white, there is a good retention and lacing. The smell is hoppy with hints of earthy malt in the background. The taste is bitter with a subtle sweetness as well. The mouthfeel is smooth with a good carbonation. Overall this beer is pretty solid, definitely a good IPA.

05-05-2013 03:19:12 | More by Knapp85
jzeilinger

4.14/5  rDev -5.3%

Many thanks to sholle for sending this one!

A - Pours medium amber in color and leaves a sticky lacing ring.

S - Citrus, pine, floral, and some lightly toasted caramel malt.

T - Red grapefruit, floral, and pine bitterness over top of a light caramel base. Finishes out with an assertive one/two punch of grapefruit and pine that lingers for a good long time.

M - Rich medium body and a very dry finish which only intensifies the hops.

O - Balanced to a certain degree with an agressive finish, well brewed and worth checking out.

05-03-2013 03:28:05 | More by jzeilinger
Immo

Montana

Best IPA Ive ever had, and probably be my fav forever. Very complex hopy flavor that is very balanced and full flavored, with a wonderful after taste. What I love about this beer is I can drink 6 with no problem when with regular IPA's I can only stand one or two... Of course I never do get to the 6th.... Maybe one day....

Bought In Helena Montana at Vans Thriftway across from Carroll College

03-25-2013 01:25:44 | More by Immo
Treyliff

West Virginia

4.56/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Thanks to Sholle for this one:

A- pours golden-amber in color, with a two-finger light-tan creamy head, good retention leaves thick lace around the rim.

S- oily hop notes of grass, floral, piney and herbal notes, quite rare to pick out so many different hop profiles. Some toasted malty notes

T- the complexity of hop profiles follow on the palate; piney and floral hops up front, transitions into tart citrus and grassy notes, the finish is slightly sweet with just a touch of toasted malt. Finishes dry with notes of pine, grapefruit juice, and some toasted grain.

M- light carbonation with a medium body provides a smooth and creamy mouthfeel that finishes velvety smooth

O- this is one of the most drinkable full flavored IPA's that I've tried. So many hop flavors, yet nothing overpowers. The grapefruit-like flavor at the end is a perfect finish. I usually only drink one or two ipa's in a sitting, but I could easy go through 6 of these. Solid IPA.

03-09-2013 23:47:00 | More by Treyliff
Siriusfisherman

Montana

4.25/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A: Deep, clear amber with a big fluffy head. Excellent lacing and retention.

S: Big, floral citrus/grapefruit with pine and some spice and toasty, caramel malt to add complexity.

T/M: Ample, smooth bitterness up front with floral citrus, peach, and pine resin. The malt is well represented, nice caramel and bready biscuit notes, but not to sweet. Very neutral yeast profile aside from some light, citrus esters that meld with the hops. The mouthfeel is extremely smooth and the carbonation is spot on.

Overall: Amazed by this one, easily the best Montana brewed beer I have had. Perfect balance for the style, and a big, smooth hop character. I hope to see this in cans more often, but if not, Helena is less than an hour and a half away. World-class stuff.

02-27-2013 03:39:05 | More by Siriusfisherman
NiceTaps

4.45/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12oz. can poured into a pint glass.

A-Bright copper color, abit cloudy. Fluffy 1-plus finger head, lots of sticky lacing. A beautiful pour.

S-Floral hop aroma, there's a hint of pine, and I'm reaching for citrus back there.

T-Hop forward, floral and pine. A touch of malt sweetness rounds out the taste.

M- Good carbonation and medium body. Smooth lingering finish that captures the flavors. Clean, not bitter.

O- A solid American IPA, flavorful and satisfies the hop craving w/o numbing the senses.

02-23-2013 13:33:43 | More by NiceTaps
vfgccp

4.55/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

A - Sediment on the bottom of the can, but the first pour out is a beautiful crystal clear tangerine gold. Off-white head with nice retention and great lace.

S - Sweet, juicy citrus; orange, nectarine, and a touch of grapefruit.

T - Soft citrus opening of orange marmalade, apricot, and nectarine. Bitter sweet ruby grapefruit center with a light malt backdrop. Lingering bold bitter citrus pith finish.

M - Great mouthfeel. Full to style. Smooth with well balanced carbonation.

O - A stellar citrusy IPA with a great sweet / bitter balance.

12-27-2012 22:21:35 | More by vfgccp
hoppyBRO

4.95/5  rDev +13.3%

I picked up a case of this beer at Cosco in Helena Montana and I never looked back. I especially liked that it comes in a can rather than a bottle. I know that beers won't stay fresh longer in a can.

This tumbleweed IPA is the best beer for smell that I've ever had out of a can. The nose on this has an equal balance of hoppiness and sweetness.

The head that I was able to pour was ever so beautiful.

From the look of it I believe that this is an unfiltered beer. The color is a darkish amberish color.

The mouth feel is a big winner, it has the thickness of the IPA of your dreams.

The taste is a perfect balance of pop sweetness, but definitely not too light on the hops. I like iHoppy Hoppy IPAs and this is one of those.

If there is a perfect IPA this is definitely THAT!

Actually now that I think of it... I believe I bought the Tumble Weed and Vans grocery store. I got a Hef called Miner's Gold at Cosco i think... really good stuff. I think I had to many beers to remember clearly tho :-)

12-18-2012 19:45:09 | More by hoppyBRO
MotorCityHopMan

4.93/5  rDev +12.8%

Stopped at this brewery on my last trip through MT, drove from Yellowstone Park to Glacier Park and this is a great stopping point. I asked the bartender what their best IPA was (they had a few on-tap which I love) and she said "well the Tumbleweed IPA is the most award winning IPA in Montana" so I had to try it.

Glad I did this a real beauty, awesome nose just bursts out of the glass begging you to take your first swig, and the flavor is very balanced with just the right amount of bitterness to complement the nice malty character. Very smooth easy drinking IPA, definitely now in my top 5 IPAs. I bought 2 cases to take home to my Hop Lovin friends.

BTW The brewery itself is an experience so make sure you have a few hours to truly enjoy this place and their wonderful beers.

11-28-2012 20:48:14 | More by MotorCityHopMan
FLhopLOVER

4.98/5  rDev +14%

A - The appearance to me is darker than most IPAs, this beer has a darker caramel like color and is very inviting. So looking at it, you may expect something malty

S - First of all thanks to my friend Fred for bringing me this can of Tumbleweed I pop open the can and the aroma coming out of the small hole immediately grabs my attention I can't wait pour it into glass and actually experience this aroma in a glass. I am not disappointed as the aroma coming from glass is beautiful Cascade and piney hops making me think I'm about to get hit by a large amount of hoppy bitterness.

T - I could go on and on about flavor of this beer… But to make it clear if you're someone who can appreciate a beer like sculpin, flower power, pliny the elder to name a few this beer is right in there with them. To make it clear… True hop lovers need not worry

M -Rarely do you find an IPA with this amount of color, this extra malt creates a beautiful balance with these hops. You actually expect more bitterness from the nose than you actually get, definitely a lot of aroma hops.

Overall - Are you kidding me this is a can of beer by far the top Canned IPA I have ever poured into glass! I hope someday I can get to Montana And try this on draft... I've never had a beer out of a can that is closer to a 5 out of 5

11-12-2012 23:07:22 | More by FLhopLOVER
BeerManBert

From notes- well a friend of mine that had made a trip up through Montana this summer told me to make sure I found this small brewery at GABF and try their Tumbleweed IPA...well I'm really glad I did. It was not easy as their both was clear on the far end of the convention center, nice thing though was the lines were shorter up on that end. The folks pouring honestly didn't know much about the beer and I didn't see a brewery rep but they did have some printed info available and I learned this is the most award winning IPA in Montana with several local, regional and state awards for best IPA.
Well let me just say I see why it's won the awards, the beer is really quite amazing and it's the first beer I have given 5s across the board, from nose (amazing blend of piney & citrus) to the color (nice copper) to the mouthfeel (very balanced and full) and taste this IPA is just the complete package.

Needless to say even though there were tons of great IPAs at the GABF I found myself wandering by the L&C booth every time I made a trip to the men's room (lines were unreal) as their booth was near the line.

Can't wait until another friend makes a trip to MT so I can put in an order for a few cases of this IPA now in my top five IPAs.

10-15-2012 01:20:51 | More by BeerManBert
IPAsteveCO

4.95/5  rDev +13.3%

Wow what a difference a few years makes. I had this beer about 10 years ago and it immediately became one of my all time favorite IPAs period, then I had it a few years ago (on yet another trip through Big Sky Country) and it was just not the same (good but not great). NOW just yesterday my friend brings me a can of the Tumbleweed from his trip through MT and this Baby is Back! Pours with a beautiful floral/piney head, nice copper color and the flavor just bursts out on the first swig begging you to take a 2nd. For me the best IPA I've ever had in a can period! Glad to see they have returned to the old recipe or stepped up the brewing process in the past few years. If you get a chance try this IPA as it is one of the most under rated IPAs out there Cheers.

04-11-2012 22:03:18 | More by IPAsteveCO
kstrode

4.18/5  rDev -4.3%

Strong floral hops aroma before my first sip. Full two-finger head that dissipated in a couple of minutes. Taste was powerful fruity hops without much bitter aftertaste. There was a nice follow-through hint of malt, which was surprising. Extremely refreshing and drinkable without the strongly bitter puckering that makes some IPAs good for only one bottle. Definitely in my current top 10 of IPAs - it's easy to see why it has won some awards.

04-10-2012 02:50:58 | More by kstrode
phdirksen

3.8/5  rDev -13%

First of all, the fact that beer can be made from tumbleweeds is impressive in itself and enough to get me to try the beer in the first place. I'm all for invention. What surprised me though was actually how conventional the beer was. It tasted like I would expect an IPA to taste. Despite the slightly mysterious advertised ingredient, there weren't any mysterious or puzzling flavors to speak of. It was pleasantly bitter in a slight way and had a hint of the pine taste I've noticed in many of the beers from the Pacific Northwest or Maine. I'm sure most people would try the first one for the novelty factor of experimenting with something new, but drink a second one (as I did) for the comfort factor of enjoying a drink you already know.

02-03-2012 21:50:41 | More by phdirksen
unclepedro

4.68/5  rDev +7.1%

I'm not sure if this is called Tumbleweed IPA because it contains tumbleweed, or because tumbleweeds like it. But I don't care because it's delicious.

I had this really interesting and enjoyable brew in a can at a party. It's definitely an IPA, but has a really complex flavor profile that I liked, would definitely try again (I'd love to have it on tap) and would recommend to anyone.

A: Unfortunately, I had this in a can and didn't have a glass handy, so I couldn't really see the beer. I also didn't like the design on the can -- it kind of looks like an energy drink or something. But don't let that fool you.

S: Again, in a can, it was hard to get a good sniff. But it definitely has a hoppy, citrusy, and piney boquet, perhaps with a little brown sugar.

T: The taste is where this beer really shines, and I can honestly say I've never really had a beer quite like this. While I couldn't see the beer, it had a "darker" flavor, with brown sugar and caramel notes lurking in the background. (Other reviews note its copper color -- sounds about right.) But in the foreground was an intriguingly bright and deliciously bitter collision of citrus, pine, and hop flavors. Not that 6.6% is that high, but I feel like the slightly higher alcohol content contributed to the melding of flavors in a positive fashion.

Anyway, I like hoppy beers and IPAs, but I'm kind of tired of other "IPAs" that just pound you with HOPS! This is NOT one of those beers, but it's also unlike any other IPA I've had. The hoppiness is really melded in a great way with the other flavors and the sugars. I would definitely try this beer again if given the chance because I found it both enjoyable and perplexing.

M: Good. Not overly carbonated, very drinkable. Thirst quenching.

O: Really enjoyable and interesting beer (without being a novelty flavor). Great melange of hops, citrus, pine, and caramel flavors. I would definitely order it if I saw it on a menu.

01-09-2012 17:55:14 | More by unclepedro
ThirstyMcGee

4.2/5  rDev -3.9%

I really enjoyed Tumbleweed IPA, and will seek it out again when I get the chance. My assessment: fresh, clean, refreshing, bright and pleasantly bitter, just as an IPA should be, but not in a hit you over the head kind of a way. Definitely worth drinking.

01-08-2012 19:35:17 | More by ThirstyMcGee
FreddyKnuckles

4.72/5  rDev +8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Well deserved accolades for this Montana IPA. Much smoother and more drinkable than the heavy-metal artwork of the can might initially suggest. Crisp, clean, pine-like. The beer equivalent of stumbling onto a fresh mountain spring after rolling around the desert floor your whole life.

01-05-2012 22:28:14 | More by FreddyKnuckles
kaleenjean

4.63/5  rDev +5.9%

This is one of the best IPAs I've had in a can. Still keeps the aroma and bitterness as if it were on tap. High concentration of Cascade & Centennial hops and beautiful amber color. One of the most hoppy, yet still balanced IPAs I've ever had. It's a very hop-forward, piney tasting beer that doesn't ruin your taste buds like some IPAs with 100+ IBUs.

01-03-2012 23:15:18 | More by kaleenjean
fisherdude

I was lucky enough to enjoy this special beer ON TAP at the brewery in Helena, MT. I was on a trip with my family and I searched for breweries in Helena and Lewis and Clark came up on my phone.

The nose on this puppy is a hop-a-docious... is that a word? It is now. After smelling the Tumbleweed you may even think you have a double IPA in your hand.

The color is light copper and there was a nice head on the pour.

The taste was hop forward with such a clean finish. In my opinion this beer has unbelievable balance and the mouth feel is phenomenal. Just go find one of these and you will see!!!

07-26-2011 05:22:44 | More by fisherdude
oregonskibum

Oregon

4.1/5  rDev -6.2%

Poured in a small pint glass at taproom, day before they officially move the brewery to new dogs.

A: somewhat dark environment, but appears a clear deep copper orange. Delivered with a nice white one inch head. Some splotchy lacing as beer is consumed.

S: wow, big hop flavors dominate. Lots of citrus and piney flavors with only a caramel note. But mostly hops. Nice.

T: on taste, floral hops seem more pronounced, with citrus notes fading to the background. Some faint breadiness in mid taste. Finish is pleasant with a floral, almost earthy note. Bitterness is there, but restrained.

M: medium body, appropriately carbonated.

O: very enjoyable. Had this prior night at a restaurant and it tasted old, so I didn't review. Glad I stopped by the brewery as this is a very solid IPA when fresh.

06-08-2011 23:53:42 | More by oregonskibum
IPAmadman

4.83/5  rDev +10.5%

Overall and excellent "west coast style" IPA with heavy presence of Centennial and Cascade hops. I love the way this beer smells and makes you feel you are about to get you head blown-off by hoppiness, just to find out it's got a great smooth flavor and incredible finish.

Won of my top 5 IPA's of all time. BTW I asked the brewery about this beer and found out this is the most award winning IPA in Montana with a Gold Medal at the Great American and more than 10 local and state level awards. It's got the kind of flavor more and more IPAs are moving towards and these guys having been brewing it for over 10 years great job L&C!

01-31-2011 04:26:13 | More by IPAmadman
anders36

Sweden

3.43/5  rDev -21.5%

Draft @ the Brewpub, Helena, MT.
Pours a pale amber color with a small off-white head.
Has a fruity malty hoppy grapefruit aroma.
Fruity malty hoppy bitter citrus flavor with some hints of pine needles.
Has a fruity malty hoppy bitter citrus finish.

11-14-2010 15:36:39 | More by anders36
Inflames

4.03/5  rDev -7.8%

On tap 6/11/10 upstairs at the brewpub.

A bit cloudy looking brew, (unfiltered)? medium amber brew.

Has a full fresh aroma, layers of hop goodness keeps me pulling breaths through my nasal passage.

Great tasty almost chewy beer. There is a thickness that is excellently drinkable here. I wanted to order my second before I finished the first.
For being a hefty brew this beer is so easy to drink, I would suggest this to anyone IPA drinker or not. I love hops, espeacially when they stand out to be noticed. This beer isn't a huge hoppy IPA but this beer finds the perfect hop over malt balance.
If your able to get this brew, do yourself a favor and indulge.

06-15-2010 05:50:00 | More by Inflames
josiahschlender

Oregon

4.43/5  rDev +1.4%

I had this on tap at Montana Ale Works in Bozeman. Never heard it before, but sure glad I took the bartender's advice and tried it!

Appearance was good for an IPA, clear, golden, with a good two-finger head that lasted a long time.

Smell was instantly strong, piney hops and citrus. Good head retention kept the air freshener scents wafting for the whole glass. Taste had a lot of pine, grapefruit and lemon citrus that would linger for a while. Balanced with a little maltiness in the middle. The beer was served in a chilled glass, which probably took away a little of the flavor, but honestly, there was was so much to this beer that I didn't notice it much.

The Tumbleweed had a medium body, typical IPA that did justice to the amazing scent and taste. Overall, a great drinking beer. Hopefully I can find more of it.

06-07-2007 00:03:33 | More by josiahschlender
GClarkage

4.05/5  rDev -7.3%

2/13/05- On Tap at a pub in Bozeman, MT.

Presentation- From the tap into a TumbleWeed IPA glass.

Appearance- Amber pour with a nice 3/4 inch thick creamy head, and nice lacing.

Smell- Nice typical IPA scent. Fairly heavy pine and grapefruit scents.

Taste- Nice flavor balance between the hops and the malt. More grapefruit flavor than pine. Not to bitter.

Mouthfeel- Good carbonation level.

Drinkability- A very drinkable IPA. Not the best, but definitely above average. Good balnaced brew that I would try again when in Montana.

02-16-2005 00:48:07 | More by GClarkage